The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2438 Old 09-19-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, well here some bad experians with the 7005 compared to Onkyo TX876 and NR3007:

1) GUI looks like something from a Commodore 64, real crap, and this is a 2010 receiver so called "the flagship" .....

2) Audyssey gives a lot of errors after setup, crossover not correct, phase not correct.
Same speakers and setup when i had the Onkyo's , with Onkyo Audyssey gives no errors.

3) Not having the settings any Onkyo unit has to "play" with sound modes and speaker settings in a great looking GUI.

4) the 7005 has two pre-sub outs but works as 1 so its more a Y-splitter......

5) the 7005 has two HDMI outs, but only 1 can be selected !
(this is realy stupid......)

6) the wide and high speakers are realy crap options to activate.

7) my unit is having a distortion in high notes, before Audyssey and after.

8) in general its not sounding ok, out of the box and after Audyssey.

9) the scaler is not doing a good job compared to HVQ Reon

So the 7005 is going back and hope to buy a Integra 70.2 soon, even i know it will have its problems to......

Some strong points for the Integra 70.2 (just a bit higher in price):

1) great looking 3D GUI and easy to work with
2) 2 HDMI outs that both have a signal and can be used at the same time
3) 2 Subwoofer out, both can be set to a different setup if needit.
4) Audyssey XT32
5) easy to select high or wide with one button on the remote
6) every setting you can think of can be set manual, and i mean ALL YOU CAN THINK OF !
7) all sources can be set different then others, even with or without the use of the scaler
8) a great video scaler form HVQ, the the Reon with ISF.........
9) 9.2 !!

Sorry it endid this way for this great looking receiver.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2438 Old 09-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
^^^^^^^^Why not wait for the 80.2? Or get the Denon 4311 or Onkyo 5008?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #63 of 2438 Old 09-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hmmm. Bad review of SR7005 is not something I want to hear.

I noticed S/N ratio of SR7005 is 96dB. Is it low? SR5005/SR6005 are 98dB, while older SR5004/SR6004 were 105dB.

Is it a difference one can hear? Or perhaps it has something to do with how Marantz measures that stuff?

I also see Denon 4311ci spec says 102db.
post #64 of 2438 Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

^^^^^^^^Why not wait for the 80.2? Or get the Denon 4311 or Onkyo 5008?

I looked at the 80.2 and 5008 (almost identical) but they cost around $400 more then the 70.2 or 3008.
All you get for that money is one zone extra, a few watts more, 32 bit DAC instade of 24 bit, and a second USB port on the back.
I like the USB on the back but $400 for stuff i do not need is to much.

As Denon uses exact the same GUI as Marantz (manuals are indentical) i do not want to buy a Denon, the GUI is realy crap and not of this time any more.
If you see the 3D GUI of Onkyo/Integra and then Marantz you will not understand why Marantz had some kids on a Commodore made this..........
Its not just the GUI, its how the menu structure works and what you can, and more important, can not do with it.
In my opinion compared to Onkyo its missing 50% of the setting features of Onkyo.

And don't forget the scaler, the HVQ scaler is far superieur compared to the AB scaler.
post #65 of 2438 Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

Hmmm. Bad review of SR7005 is not something I want to hear.

I noticed S/N ratio of SR7005 is 96dB. Is it low? SR5005/SR6005 are 98dB, while older SR5004/SR6004 were 105dB.

Is it a difference one can hear? Or perhaps it has something to do with how Marantz measures that stuff?

I also see Denon 4311ci spec says 102db.

Onkyo/Integra has a S/N of 110 dB.
I do think 96 is on the low side as most "high end" receivers will do more then 100 dB.
But if you can hear the differents............
post #66 of 2438 Old 09-19-2010, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

As Denon uses exact the same GUI as Marantz (manuals are indentical) i do not want to buy a Denon, the GUI is realy crap and not of this time any more.

The Denon 43xxCI series (and above) presents a more sophisticated GUI than does the 33xxCI series (and below). I believe your Marantz SR7005 uses the lesser Denon GUI. Compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOKLoxg0cr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnoANxXLOgQ

AJ
post #67 of 2438 Old 09-19-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

The Denon 43xxCI series (and above) presents a more sophisticated GUI than does the 33xxCI series (and below). I believe your Marantz SR7005 uses the lesser Denon GUI. Compare:

AJ

Yes indeed, thats exact the differents.
The 2nd GUI is the one in the 7005 and thats the "Commodore" GUI.
I do not understand that Marantz uses the lesser GUI version in this "flagship"
But its not just the GUI, more things makes me move back to Onkyo/Integra.
post #68 of 2438 Old 09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I do not understand that Marantz uses the lesser GUI version in this "flagship"

Flagship AVRs are largely extinct. The Marantz AV7005 is basically just the mid level Denon 3311CI in a different housing.

AJ
post #69 of 2438 Old 09-20-2010, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Flagship AVRs are largely extinct. The Marantz AV7005 is basically just the mid level Denon 3311CI in a different housing.

AJ

Marantz calls it "the flagship", i do not........

From the Maratz site:
If any product deserves the term flagship, it's the SR7005 Surround Sound A/V receiver.
post #70 of 2438 Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

And don't forget the scaler, the HVQ scaler is far superieur compared to the AB scaler.

CBdicX,

I have had both HQV chips (Reon in a Toshiba HD-XA2 and a Realta in a Denon DVD-3800BDCI) in my setup in addition to the ABT (Oppo BDP-83SE) and it comes down to preference. All chips do very, very well on synthetic tests and on real world content. I personally have always gravitated towards my Oppo with the ABT, but again just a preference. I did a direct comparison between the Oppo and Denon and as I stated earlier I preferred the ABT. Someone else may do the same comparison and prefer the HQV. There is no right or wrong answer. Your comment "the HVQ scaler is far superieur compared to the AB scaler" makes absolutely no sense. When did you make this comparison? I've seen plenty of comments from individuals who've owned or auditioned both solutions with a better setup than mine (Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD) and never a comment about superiority of one over the other, but about preference.

What is your basis for such a wild comment? You may want to check your setup. I personally could care less what chip you prefer, but I'm hearing a personal bias towards HQV, which is fine, but move on from crazy comments.

We are all entitled to our preferences, but let us not state them as though they are facts.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #71 of 2438 Old 09-20-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My understanding with all these scaler chips is that it is the implementation of them that is key, so even if they are equal with all features enabled, if Marantz hasn't enabled them all then that could be the problem.

This review is definitely disappointing though. Hopefully others have better luck with it.
post #72 of 2438 Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

CBdicX,

I have had both HQV chips (Reon in a Toshiba HD-XA2 and a Realta in a Denon DVD-3800BDCI) in my setup in addition to the ABT (Oppo BDP-83SE) and it comes down to preference. All chips do very, very well on synthetic tests and on real world content. I personally have always gravitated towards my Oppo with the ABT, but again just a preference. I did a direct comparison between the Oppo and Denon and as I stated earlier I preferred the ABT. Someone else may do the same comparison and prefer the HQV. There is no right or wrong answer. Your comment "the HVQ scaler is far superieur compared to the AB scaler" makes absolutely no sense. When did you make this comparison? I've seen plenty of comments from individuals who’ve owned or auditioned both solutions with a better setup than mine (Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD) and never a comment about superiority of one over the other, but about preference.

What is your basis for such a wild comment? You may want to check your setup. I personally could care less what chip you prefer, but I’m hearing a personal bias towards HQV, which is fine, but move on from crazy comments.

We are all entitled to our preferences, but let us not state them as though they are facts.

Willie

I still find the HVQ far better compared to the one used in the 7005.
I can compare as i had the Onkyo 3007 with the HVQ and the 708 with Faroudja.
I find the Faroudja and ABT on the same level and thats compared to HVQ not very good.
Faroudja and ABT have "strange" colors, painted like faces, wobbley lines and a very basic menu (straight out of the box).
I could not do very much to correct this du to the limited menu.
HVQ has straight out of the box a great picture and no need to be corrected in any way.
I find the HVQ menu (in the Onkyo 3007 / 3008) a great extended menu with all kind of options and ISF support :-)

And this all for about the same price as the 7005.
Call this what you like, i call it superior....................
post #73 of 2438 Old 09-20-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still find the HVQ far better compared to the one used in the 7005.
I can compare as i had the Onkyo 3007 with the HVQ and the 708 with Faroudja.
I find the Faroudja and ABT on the same level and thats compared to HVQ not very good.
Faroudja and ABT have "strange" colors, painted like faces, wobbley lines and a very basic menu (straight out of the box).
I could not do very much to correct this du to the limited menu.
HVQ has straight out of the box a great picture and no need to be corrected in any way.
I find the HVQ menu (in the Onkyo 3007 / 3008) a great extended menu with all kind of options and ISF support :-)

And this all for about the same price as the 7005.
Call this what you like, i call it superior....................

CBdicX,

It could be the implementation in the Marantz or possibly a setup issue. Are you relying on memory or did you do an actual comparison. However, as I stated in my previous post I've used all of them. The HQV Reon and ABT I've used extensively and the HQV Realta for a short period of time. All were used on my calibrated Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD and my 20/10 vision tells me that they are more alike then different and I in good conscience could not say that one was superior to the other let alone FAR superior. I actually for a brief time had all three players in my possession and it was very, very close. So close that I would welcome any of them in an AVR as long as they are properly implemented and not scaled down too much.

My personal preference is for the ABT, but that's just my preference.

Something just doesn’t jive with your assessment, but you have to trust your eyes. Good luck in your AVR hunt and I guess that rules Denon out.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #74 of 2438 Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

CBdicX,

It could be the implementation in the Marantz or possibly a setup issue. Are you relying on memory or did you do an actual comparison. However, as I stated in my previous post I've used all of them. The HQV Reon and ABT I've used extensively and the HQV Realta for a short period of time. All were used on my calibrated Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD and my 20/10 vision tells me that they are more alike then different and I in good conscience could not say that one was superior to the other let alone FAR superior. I actually for a brief time had all three players in my possession and it was very, very close. So close that I would welcome any of them in an AVR as long as they are properly implemented and not scaled down too much.

My personal preference is for the ABT, but that's just my preference.

Something just doesn’t jive with your assessment, but you have to trust your eyes. Good luck in your AVR hunt and I guess that rules Denon out.

Willie

Hi Willie,

its indeed relying on memory (and memory can fail big time) but its also what i see on the screen.
I never had any stuff on the screen with HVQ that i didnt like, with Faroudja and ABT i did.
Special the "painted" faces and strange looking greens are things i never seen with HVQ, but maybe its unit related, i do hope so for current and future users of the 7005.
I will be moving back to Onkyo, and i my case Integra, du to the far more futures i like, two undependable subs out (not just a Y-splitter), two HDMI out with picture on both, a great looking GUI and a truckload of settings to play with.

Also not the ideal receiver but think there allways will be stuff in complex untits like this that will not be to a users likeing.
post #75 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 AM

I was doing some quick ab comparisons of the 7005 and elite sc 37 with some sonus faber ludo towers... and i like the way the pioneer sounded better.. it was more full in the mids and highs and it gave the speakers more bass.. the 7005 was lacking mid range and the bass was alot lower.... Ill be back in my magnolia av studio tomorrow and ill try some more demo material...
post #76 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 AM

not to make excuses for Marantz, but you are comparing a $2200 receiver to a $1500 receiver not to mention a rated 140 watts/channel vs 125 watts/channel. Good to know that pioneer's flagship beats Marantz's though.
post #77 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_nemesh View Post

Actually, I asked the Marantz rep during a recent training and you can not add an additional amp for 9.1 or 11.1 surround. This unit is limited to 7.1 (or 7.2) operation. You can select between using surround back, height, or wide speakers, but never more than 7 speakers total. They give you 9 speaker terminals to make it possible to switch between modes if you have 9 speakers hooked up at the same time, but you can never use all 9 at the same time, external amps or no.

If you are looking to do a 9.1 or 11.1 (or .2) theater, look at the Denon or Onkyo/Integra units. Since 99% of home theater owners are doing 7.1 or 5.1 anyway, I dont think this will matter too much.

and THAT is a big reason I got rid of the SR6004 and went to the Onkyo TX-NR1007....because it DOES do 9.2 and trust me, the front heights (at least in my situation with 16ft ceilings) sounds amazing and really adds to the immersive sound of a movie

not to mention i was getting errors with the SR6004 so I had to RMA it back. I'm very happy with my decision to go with the Onkyo so far....but hey, there's always better out there right?
post #78 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Everyone's needs are different.

Frankly I don't care about height channels and stuff like that. As to video processing, I can bypass that and won't care.

But I do care about the DLNA and Dolby Headphone and am concerned about the sound quality.

And I wish this thing had AirPlay.
post #79 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by henningh View Post

Everyone's needs are different.

Frankly I don't care about height channels and stuff like that. As to video processing, I can bypass that and won't care.

But I do care about the DLNA and Dolby Headphone and am concerned about the sound quality.

And I wish this thing had AirPlay.

The sound quality of the SR6004 (and i'm sure the new 7005) are top notch. The Eq issue was foolish on their part to leave out for bitstreaming IMHO... as for looks, the Marantz units (although the SR6004 was small and unimpressive looking) are beautiful.
post #80 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

EQ is now supported for hd streams (up to 96 kHz).

Now, I am considering 4311ci instead of SR7005 for the 9.1 operation. I installed height speakers so the option of using the all the time and not to have to choose between backs and heights is attractive.
post #81 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

The sound quality of the SR6004 (and i'm sure the new 7005) are top notch. The Eq issue was foolish on their part to leave out for bitstreaming IMHO... as for looks, the Marantz units (although the SR6004 was small and unimpressive looking) are beautiful.

Ooops. I slightly misstated what I was looking for. I wanted good sound quality (and it's good to hear your statement regarding the SR6004). But I'm concerned about the Audyssey issues that CBdicX brought up (hit eighth point).
post #82 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ooops. I slightly misstated what I was looking for. I wanted good sound quality (and it's good to hear your statement regarding the SR6004). But I'm concerned about the Audyssey issues that CBdicX brought up (hit eighth point).

Yes, that audyssey problem i encoutered was indeed strange.
I did the setup twice, and i both cases still various errors.......
never had an error with Onkyo, same speakers, same setup.
So i think the audyssey software Marantz uses must be a bit different then Onkyo.
Maybe the error level of Onkyo is set lower (?).

I ordered today an Integra 70.2, just a bit higher in price then the 7005, but with a truckload of features and 2 working HDMI out and 2 working subs out that can be set different when you have 2 different subs.
And a 2010 GUI, and not the Commodore 64 stuff on the 7005
But that can be a matter of taste.
post #83 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

If you call SR7005 GUI Commodore you haven't seen SR5005... I guess it would qualify as ZX-80's GUI.

But honestly as long as the GUI is easy to use, clean and simple, I'd take it over fancy colorful GUI that would be a distraction.
post #84 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you call SR7005 GUI Commodore you haven't seen SR5005... I guess it would qualify as ZX-80's GUI.

But honestly as long as the GUI is easy to use, clean and simple, I'd take it over fancy colorful GUI that would be a distraction.

Please look at these two video's:

I think a "flagship" should, and must, look like the first, not the second.
The menu's of Onkyo and Integra even look better then the fancy Denon......
post #85 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:

This.

I plan to turn off the on screen GUI after setup is done. I hate seeing stuff on my screen that's not the content.
post #86 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please look at these two video's:

I think a "flagship" should, and must, look like the first, not the second.
The menu's of Onkyo and Integra even look better then the fancy Denon......

Well, to each his own, but the second looks good enough to me and perhaps even more aesthetically pleasing being simpler.

Quote:

This.

I plan to turn off the on screen GUI after setup is done. I hate seeing stuff on my screen that's not the content.

Well since my receiver is out of sight, my requirement is to see volume, input and surround settings overlayed on screen. SR5005 doesn't do that despite manual suggesting it does (it does not overlay, you can only see that in setup or ipod screens) and hence it's going back. Meanwhile I decided I want to HDMI outs so hence the jump to SR7005 or... 4311ci.
post #87 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Well since my receiver is out of sight, my requirement is to see volume, input and surround settings overlayed on screen. SR5005 doesn't do that despite manual suggesting it does (it does not overlay, you can only see that in setup or ipod screens) and hence it's going back. Meanwhile I decided I want to HDMI outs so hence the jump to SR7005 or... 4311ci.

I looked at the 4311ci product page and there's no mention of Dolby Headphone. That's an important feature for me.

It seems like nothing I look at has all the features I want at the pricepoint I want.
post #88 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I looked at the 4311ci product page and there's no mention of Dolby Headphone. That's an important feature for me.

It seems like nothing I look at has all the features I want at the pricepoint I want.

I noticed that, too, and it is a minus. Do you have experience with that future and how good it is? I rarely use headphones, so it's not deal breaker.
post #89 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Willie,

its indeed relying on memory (and memory can fail big time) but its also what i see on the screen.
I never had any stuff on the screen with HVQ that i didnt like, with Faroudja and ABT i did.
Special the "painted" faces and strange looking greens are things i never seen with HVQ, but maybe its unit related, i do hope so for current and future users of the 7005.
I will be moving back to Onkyo, and i my case Integra, du to the far more futures i like, two undependable subs out (not just a Y-splitter), two HDMI out with picture on both, a great looking GUI and a truckload of settings to play with.

Also not the ideal receiver but think there allways will be stuff in complex untits like this that will not be to a users likeing.

CBdicX,

I appreciate your thoughts. I'm actually looking at the Denon AVR-4311CI or the Yamaha RX-A3000. I like the possibility of 11.2 channels. I considered the Onkyo's, but I can't get pass how hot they get. I've owned Denon and presently have a Marantz SR7002. After several hours of extensive use the Marantz is warm, but I recently looked at an Onkyo TX-NR1007 and it was hot enough to burn. This may not be a real world issue, but this type of heat can't be good for the internals in my opinion and a current owner of a TX-NR3008 has confirmed that the heat still exists. Are the Integra's better when it comes to heat?

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #90 of 2438 Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I noticed that, too, and it is a minus. Do you have experience with that future and how good it is? I rarely use headphones, so it's not deal breaker.

Actually I don't have personal experience with it. But it's used in headsets like the Astro A40's, and it's highly spoken of.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page