Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2410 Old 04-09-2011, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

i've read that the SR 7005 and the Denon 3311 are identical twins with the same internals but different externals.....

Source and link please. Is this really true? I thought the Marantz is made in Japan and the Denon in China. Maybe they use Exactly the same boards (which are all made in China: and the Sr7005 is 'assembled' in Japan.) But why would essentially the same company do that, when labour costs would be lower in China? It would also mean margins on the Denon are higher. That is the Denon really should be way cheaper than it is....Ive no idea, but I'd sure like to know the facts. Otherwise all the stuff Ive been hearing about the Marantz supposedly being 'high end' is just marketing hype...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2410 Old 04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Country of assembly doesn't matter in terms of sound quality or durability, it's what the person who assembled it had for lunch that counts. Units made by people who ate Italian food tend to have a spi-cy mid-ah-range with a romantic smoothness reminiscent of a gondola ride through Venice, whereas units assembled by people who ate American food tend to be crass, abrasive, and have a susceptibility to "needing" peripheral burn in discs, beefy aftermarket power cords, and green magic markers to encircle their software discs, in order to "sound good".

[P.S. I'm American so the self deprecating humor is allowed.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #903 of 2410 Old 04-09-2011, 05:39 PM

You got it. The point is are the parts exactly the same?
post #904 of 2410 Old 04-09-2011, 05:43 PM

I'd like to ask another quick question.

With the rear speakers connected for 7.1. (surround back) Can these be easily "switched" via the receivers software to give a second "stereo" pair (to listen to stereo) from behind..whilst turning off all the other channels?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
post #905 of 2410 Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post
The point is are the parts exactly the same?
I suspect the tuners, the preamps, the surround and processing chips, the power supplies, and the power amps are exactly the same, so in most important ways they are interchangeable, but they certainly aren't identical twins due to some input/output differences (and probably the remotes)

SR7005:

- 4 component video in
- 2 component out (identical or one can be assigned to zone 2)
- no S-video jacks
- 8 ch EXT in jacks

AVR3311CI:

- 2 component video in
- 1 component video out
- 2 S-video ins (but no outs, must upconvert)
- no multi. Ch. in support

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #906 of 2410 Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i heard the Denon 3311 today which is supposedly the identical twin brother of the 7005. Just like what i found during the 7005 demo the 3311 also sounded very flat and dull.

if indeed these 2 avrs are the same on the inside then i'm not really surprised.... has ayone heard both the 7005 and the 3311....? it'll be interesting to know if you have had the same experience or a different one....?

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #907 of 2410 Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Hi,

I'm hoping some of you owners can help me out. I recently purchased the sr7005 and all is working well, except I can't get hdmi inputs 4 and 5 to work at all (vcr and game).

if i move an item such as the apple tv2, cablebox, bd player or the roku box to hmi 1,2 or 3 they all work fine, nothing works if i plug these into the final two hdmi inputs.

Am I missing something?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #908 of 2410 Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello-I have been looking for a little while for a new AVR-I want something that sounds great (obviously), yet will allow me to play internet radio, pandora, slacker, etc from my ipad2. I am confused about the 7005, because it says Airplay "ready",what does that mean? If you must add something to the receiver, then I would probably look at the 6005 and use an Apple TV.
If I am not interested in the extra power, is this a better option. I am making the assumption that the sounds of both 6005 and 7005 are similar.
Also, can anybody comment on one "knock" that I came across in a review of the 7005-that it had a "congested" mid-bass, very noticeable in the center channel dialogue-have you found this to be true?
I appreciate your feedback-by the way looking at Pioneer VSX-32 and Integra 40.2 as competition-if you can also offer any thoughts about sound quality between these and the Marantz models, again, much appreciated.
Thanks
post #909 of 2410 Old 04-10-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

i heard the Denon 3311 today which is supposedly the identical twin brother of the 7005. Just like what i found during the 7005 demo the 3311 also sounded very flat and dull.

if indeed these 2 avrs are the same on the inside then i'm not really surprised.... has ayone heard both the 7005 and the 3311....?

What does it matter? You've heard both under test conditions you seem to think were valid, and presuming when you say both sounded "flat and dull" is a negative in your book, why would you care what another person thinks?

Time to move on to find a unit you like the sound of.

post #910 of 2410 Old 04-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

What does it matter? You've heard both under test conditions you seem to think were valid, and presuming when you say both sounded "flat and dull" is a negative in your book, why would you care what another person thinks?

Time to move on to find a unit you like the sound of.

I'll tell you why it matters....

Coz if someone has a certain experience with a certain product he/she can come here and share their experience of the same and confirm with others if they feel the same way or any different about the particular product. ( although i can agree that we hear sound differently )

And that's the reason i care what the other person thinks about the same product...

Other wise there would have been no need for a forum and we all would have just gone out, heard stuff and bought it.

We need others opinions and we care what others think and that's why I'm here, that's why you're here and that's why everyone else is here....

m. zillch.... your opinion and what you think about the product i'm interested in matters to me....!

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #911 of 2410 Old 04-10-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've never spent this much money and had less fun. Frustrated. How do you get the analog OSD to work? It was working two nights ago out of the green component because the composite monitor out wasn't working. Now nothing out of either.
post #912 of 2410 Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Component video OSD wont work if an HDMI out is currently playing on some other display.

Also, video conversion in the setup menu must be "On" for OSD to work.

If these two things don't remedy your situation, report back.

post #913 of 2410 Old 04-11-2011, 04:56 AM

Liked: 13
rana..
I love my SR7005. It replaced a Denon AVR-5803A (a $5K receiver when new), and I think the SR7005 outperforms the Denon. The room correction works great and the new HDMI 1.4a is fantastic.

My wife and I love the SR7005. PS - I once purchased a Denon 4308CI, but returned it because I didn't like it.
post #914 of 2410 Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Hello-I have been looking for a little while for a new AVR-I want something that sounds great (obviously), yet will allow me to play internet radio, pandora, slacker, etc from my ipad2. I am confused about the 7005, because it says Airplay "ready",what does that mean? If you must add something to the receiver, then I would probably look at the 6005 and use an Apple TV.
If I am not interested in the extra power, is this a better option. I am making the assumption that the sounds of both 6005 and 7005 are similar.
Also, can anybody comment on one "knock" that I came across in a review of the 7005-that it had a "congested" mid-bass, very noticeable in the center channel dialogue-have you found this to be true?
I appreciate your feedback-by the way looking at Pioneer VSX-32 and Integra 40.2 as competition-if you can also offer any thoughts about sound quality between these and the Marantz models, again, much appreciated.
Thanks

Just wanted to try one more time for some information.
post #915 of 2410 Old 04-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Just wanted to try one more time for some information.

Airplay is "built-in" to the 7005, but there's a one-time fee to activate it.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #916 of 2410 Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000HD View Post

I've heard both side by side in the same room and same speakers and they absolutly doesnt sound the same. The Marantz is way better with music playing.

Ok first of all i'm sorry about my english, this is not my main language so i'll try to explain better as I can.

When I first went to the dealer it was for the 3311ci and then I saw that both receiver was side by side so I've ask to do a blind test and found that with the same source and speaker the Marantz had a better sound.

Here is why i'm telling that:

Both of the receiver were listened in Pure/Direct mode. Both at about -12dB on a set of 5.1 Mission Speakers from Dumoulin in Quebec City. I can't tell if any optimization was made (Audyssey) but I doubt it.

So first the Marantz was slightly louder at the same volume with the same speakers. But not enought to say that there were alot more power from the Marantz. And about the sound I've bring Transformers 2 to test as a movie. To be honest, there were not much difference with the movie, maybe a little better surround sound with the Marantz (riffles was a little more hearable on the back).

Were I did find a difference was on the music listening. Ok the test was made with some Celine Dion... but the voice was so much more clear then with the Denon and the brass and violin was "powerful" compared with the Denon.

I'm far from an audiophile and I dont have an awesome speakers system I have a set of about 1750$ 5.1 Polk Audio speakers. Before I had the Marantz I was listening about 95% movies and 5% music. I now enjoy way more music that before and I'm now listening 60% 40% from my dedicated "home theatre" room.

Regards,
post #917 of 2410 Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

- how did you do said "blind test"?
- wasn't level matched...
- wasn't sure if any processing was turned on...
- etc.

glad you like the marantz... but your "results" really have no validity...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #918 of 2410 Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ Component video OSD wont work if an HDMI out is currently playing on some other display.
Also, video conversion in the setup menu must be "On" for OSD to work.
If these two things don't remedy your situation, report back.
Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate the help.
There is no HDMI device connected to any output. I do not own an HDMI tv or projector. I cannot get composite monitor out when convert is off. And I cannot get green component out when convert is on.
post #919 of 2410 Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

^What video format is your source and what kind of video format are you attempting to send to your TV?

By "format" I mean composite, component, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i...

post #920 of 2410 Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The source is the Marantz OSD. I'm trying to use composite monitor out. When that didn't work I tried the convert feature to use just one of the component outs (green) with the composite cable. That worked a couple of days ago, but I haven't been able to get it to work since.
post #921 of 2410 Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent View Post

The source is the Marantz OSD.

p108 of the manual shows under what circumstance one will get an image, or a menu, based on the incoming signal, IF ANY. You are least likely to get information if you are using a dead input and just trying to get a menu up, so I suggest, at least to get started, plug in an active composite video signal (what Marantz calls "video", aka "yellow RCA jack") from some turned on video device you know is functional.

Wait, strike all that, if I am reading the chart correctly (and it is perplexing at first, but I think I get it now) menus are not offered with or without signal to the composite video out under ANY circumstances.

I happen to discuss an undocumented, trick way to get at least a black and white menu out of the AV7005 in "composite" form, I'm pretty sure earlier in this same thread, are you trying to use my trick method? It sounds to me from this that you are:

Quote:

When that didn't work I tried the convert feature to use just one of the component outs (green) with the composite cable. That worked a couple of days ago, but I haven't been able to get it to work since.

Did you change the master input, by chance? Keep in mind that if you turned on "Video Convert" on some input other than the one you are currently using that it may not be set to "on" on the present one. It, like most things on this unit, is a per input selection. Check to be sure it is "on".

Check all that and report back.

P.S. Again, trying to get a menu from a dead input is the hardest. Do you have an active component video device? That should be easier, again see the chart on p 108.

post #922 of 2410 Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again. I appreciate it. I"ll give it a try, but if I put an active device on there, won't I see the display from the active device? I've never had monitor out issues in the past with other components. This is a bug.
post #923 of 2410 Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You should see the main image with the menu, volume, etc overlaid on top, "super imposed". Having overlaid graphics on top of the main input signal, even for HDMI sources and ones transcoded from component to HDMI, in virtually all resolutions, was one of the main reasons I bought the Marantz AV7005 (the pre-pro version of the SR7005 receiver). I had been searching for this feature for years and even started a thread about it in 07. [and one specifically regarding volume in 09]

post #924 of 2410 Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should see the main image with the menu, volume, etc overlaid on top, "super imposed". Having overlaid graphics on top of the main input signal, even for HDMI sources and ones transcoded from component to HDMI, in virtually all resolutions, was one of the main reasons I bought the Marantz AV7005 (the pre-pro version of the SR7005 receiver).

That worked! Thanks. I hooked up to a different input, selected convert and it came out the component green. So now I can tweak the sound settings.

hmunster2,
I've already reported what I've perceived as a large lack of midrange. I believe it's true that the bass hump is so large that it is obscuring the midrange frequencies.

As I began tweaking last night, I tamed the base by copying the Audyssey flat curve to the manual eq, setting the crossover frequency the same for all speakers (60 for my scenario) and correcting the distance to the subwoofer. The overemphasized bass issue is gone. So the mids are back, however, I'm finding the treble a bit sibilant. Two more things to try. Enabling HT-EQ had no effect.
1) enable the tone control and turn down the treble or
2) turn off eq altogether. I'm suspecting that perhaps the native Marantz sound will be best. In my mind Audyssey is a failure or at least Marantz's implementation of it.
post #925 of 2410 Old 04-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Crescent - it may be the way Audyssey "hears" your room. It's a complex algorithm, and who knows - it may just not work in your room.
post #926 of 2410 Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Think I have a Center channel problem. Audyssey set up quits and goes into protection mode when it reaches the center channel. Test Tone is distorted as well. Rechecked cables, restripped wire, no change. Speaker works as I made it the Right Channel no problem.
Refli has been great and will be working to send a new unit! FYI
post #927 of 2410 Old 04-14-2011, 07:11 PM

try a different speaker cable?
post #928 of 2410 Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

try a different speaker cable?

I had a similar problem once, and assumed that the cables couldn't be the problem, as I hadn't moved anything in years. I tried lopping off the ends and re-terminating (to no avail), and found out a cable was compromised in the middle of the run.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #929 of 2410 Old 04-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Good idea, but it is a 100ft run, ending in a wall plate in a rack. Not eager to try that but will try a direct connect with the receiver.
I assume that Audyssey would not put the unit into protection mode unless it was the amp, but I could be wrong.
Thanks!
post #930 of 2410 Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 PM

New cable direct to center channel, with same distorted output.
Glad it is not the cable run, as the unit will be easier to replace.
Since I enabled AirPlay, I wonder how Marantz will compensate for that with the new unit.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page