Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

electronics don't "break in"... they either "work" or "break"...

all the specs noted are well into the "inaudible" range...

people will "discuss" transformers forever, i've yet to see a blind test that shows someone being able to distinguish a toroid from a non-toroid...

imo, multieq xt is significantly better than multieq...

you asked, i answered... you may do with the answer what you may...

No need to get defensive-- I questioned what you thought was more modern about the design, that's all. If because it's simply 5 or so years newer, that's fine, I thought you might have insight into differences in the toplogies, that's all.

toroids are more energy efficient.. I also doubt they do anything to improve audibility. They're in the power supply stage, not the power amplifier stage. Just pointing out differences. But yes, I suppose I did imply that the toroid might have something to do with audibility since I listed it along with current-feedback/etc. My mistake!

I'm not discounting your reply, I appreciate it. But I'm also curious if you have any experience with the SR8001 or are just judging based on age. That's all.

I was not aware that XT was significantly better than MultiEQ.. thanks for that. All I know about it is that it includes a finer resolution of points than MultiEQ..

cheers,
..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2410 Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I'm really not an expert about new technologies and I'd need some help.

I purchased a Marantz SR7005 from Magnolia some days ago but I had to return it because of some malfunctions (sometimes it couldn't see my iPhone connected through the usb cable or sometimes the dvd video signal disappeared from my TV screen) and now I'm ready to buy another one.
However, there were a couple of issues that really bothered me on this receiver that I'd like to know if someone experienced or if it is possible to fix before I try it again.

The first one concerns the remote control. It worked only if I was standing straight in front of the unit, no more than 10ft away, if I was not right in front of the unit it didn't work. I tried to change the battery but it didn't change anything. Could it have been a defective remote or what? Is there a way to fix this issue because otherwise the remote is basically useless??

Second issue. It seems that with the Marantz, each time I disconnect my iphone (I have most of my music on it and it's my primary source) and then re-connect it, it completely re-sets to the beginning of the list of the songs contained in the artist/album/playlist folder. I have over 1000 songs and I cannot start to listen to them each time from the beginning of the list; on top of that I cannot even skip the tracks ten or more at a time but just one at a time and not even very quickly. I want to know if there is some sort of setting I can adjust so that starts at the last song played from the usb input? I had a Pioneer Elite SC 35 that was able to do this (and it should be a basic feature... I couldn't believe that the Marantz it's unable to do this).

So if you guys can help me with these couple if issues I'd really appraciate.
Thanks.
post #993 of 2410 Old 05-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedebro View Post
Hi guys, I'm really not an expert about new technologies and I'd need some help.

I purchased a Marantz SR7005 from Magnolia some days ago but I had to return it because of some malfunctions (sometimes it couldn't see my iPhone connected through the usb cable or sometimes the dvd video signal disappeared from my TV screen) and now I'm ready to buy another one.
However, there were a couple of issues that really bothered me on this receiver that I'd like to know if someone experienced or if it is possible to fix before I try it again.

The first one concerns the remote control. It worked only if I was standing straight in front of the unit, no more than 10ft away, if I was not right in front of the unit it didn't work. I tried to change the battery but it didn't change anything. Could it have been a defective remote or what? Is there a way to fix this issue because otherwise the remote is basically useless??

Second issue. It seems that with the Marantz, each time I disconnect my iphone (I have most of my music on it and it's my primary source) and then re-connect it, it completely re-sets to the beginning of the list of the songs contained in the artist/album/playlist folder. I have over 1000 songs and I cannot start to listen to them each time from the beginning of the list; on top of that I cannot even skip the tracks ten or more at a time but just one at a time and not even very quickly. I want to know if there is some sort of setting I can adjust so that starts at the last song played from the usb input? I had a Pioneer Elite SC 35 that was able to do this (and it should be a basic feature... I couldn't believe that the Marantz it's unable to do this).

So if you guys can help me with these couple if issues I'd really appraciate.
Thanks.
Unfortunately, both of those issues are known issues with the receiver. The first issue has been partially "fixed" by some who claim that if you place Scotch tape (not the completely clear kind) over the sensor on the Marantz, it refracts the signal, allowing for a larger range of pointing. However, both of your issues could be solved by getting the bluetooth adapter--it acts as an IR receiver and will allow you to play your iPhone music wirelessly (but you'd have to use the iPhone's controls). I got my adapter online for something like $35, and I'm very glad I did.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #994 of 2410 Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

^^^^Or, since you have to get a new unit anyway, ask them to throw in the adapter for your trouble.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #995 of 2410 Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney
Unfortunately, both of those issues are known issues with the receiver. The first issue has been partially "fixed" by some who claim that if you place Scotch tape (not the completely clear kind) over the sensor on the Marantz, it refracts the signal, allowing for a larger range of pointing. However, both of your issues could be solved by getting the bluetooth adapter--it acts as an IR receiver and will allow you to play your iPhone music wirelessly (but you'd have to use the iPhone's controls). I got my adapter online for something like $35, and I'm very glad I did.
1) The Scotch tape mod worked for me.
2) Why not use AirPlay? Works better than tethering via a dock, or Bluetooth. It's consistent, and works over larger distances.
post #996 of 2410 Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 AM

1 - The scotch tape solution works and it costs $0.00.
post #997 of 2410 Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpankaj View Post

1) The Scotch tape mod worked for me.
2) Why not use AirPlay? Works better than tethering via a dock, or Bluetooth. It's consistent, and works over larger distances.

I assume then that the iPod/iTunes software determines the playlist positioning rather than the Marantz, correct?

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #998 of 2410 Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks to Kevin, Kpankaj, Wilbur and to the others who replied.

A couple of clarification..

1) I didn't understand what kind of scotch tape I should use (not the completely clear one, so the brown packing one?) and how I should place it on the sensor (straight on top covering it?). Any chance you have pictures of the work done? Anyway, does really the remote of an high end av receiver need a piece of scotch tape to work properly? Is it a kind of joke??

2) About the resume of the song that was playing. Do you confirm that the Marantz cannot resume the song that was playing on the iPhone but it restart from the beginning of the menu? I make myself clearer: with the Pioneer SC37 I use to listen to my play lists on the iPhone (connected through usb), disconnect it, get out and listen to the music with my headphones around, come back home, plug it back the iPhone to the pioneer and the Pioneer was able to restart from the track I was listening to one second before (with the headphones, not the track I was listening to when I disconnected the iPhone to get out). Basically the Pio keeps track of what is playing on the iPhone and resumes the same song, the Marantz not even the same folder! When you connect the iPhone to the Marantz, it starts from the usb source and you have to go through the folders (artists, albums, playlists or whatever), then scroll down, let's say 300 songs manually, to resume the song you were listening to before to connect it back. It can take 15 minutes... This is crazy!!! Are you saying that this is really how the Marantz works when connected to the iPhone??? I can't believe it! Do you think that Marantz will eventually fix this (HUGE) flaw through a firmware update? Do you know if the new SC5006/6006 will have the same flaw? I cannot buy a receiver with this problem and I don't think airplay is a real solution because the connection through usb cable allows (IMHO) a better music quality.

Anyway, please, could someone explain me the difference between the airplay and the Bluetooth device in terms of convenience to use? Which one works better? Can I control all the functions of the receiver with the bluetooth device, I mean skip the tracks, change the source, control the dvd, blue ray player, radio etc.??

I tried a Marantz app I found on the apple store (Marantz Wizz App), it was great and I could do everything I wanted with it (stream the music from the iPhone, skip the tracks, control the radio, the dvd, the blue ray player, basically the all functions of the receiver!), unfortunately it rarely worked. Is there anything similar that works??

Thanks for your help.
post #999 of 2410 Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

1 - The scotch tape solution works and it costs $0.00.

Is this on the remote or on the unit itself?
post #1000 of 2410 Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^Unit itself.

Scotch tape didn't work for me. The unit still has a very limited peripheral vision, although arguable I was hoping for more than usual from the tape trick [was hoping for 45 degree off axis, not that I suspect they claim it should , but many devices I own do work at such an angle].

I wonder how bourbon tape would do?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1001 of 2410 Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS1980 View Post

After pressing menu when cable box is off a hdmi menu shows up, in additional hdmi settings changes audio output to pass through instead of auto. ( in auto a lot of surround sound channels come in just stereo. In the standard cable box set up under audio output I have advanced, in stereo output matrix is chosen(mono and stereo are the other choices) for compression I have none. Those are the only choices.

Have you tried stereo instead of matrix in the cable box?
post #1002 of 2410 Old 05-24-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:

1) I didn't understand what kind of scotch tape I should use (not the completely clear one, so the brown packing one?) and how I should place it on the sensor (straight on top covering it?). Any chance you have pictures of the work done? Anyway, does really the remote of an high end av receiver need a piece of scotch tape to work properly? Is it a kind of joke??

2) About the resume of the song that was playing. Do you confirm that the Marantz cannot resume the song that was playing on the iPhone but it restart from the beginning of the menu? I make myself clearer: with the Pioneer SC37 I use to listen to my play lists on the iPhone (connected through usb), disconnect it, get out and listen to the music with my headphones around, come back home, plug it back the iPhone to the pioneer and the Pioneer was able to restart from the track I was listening to one second before (with the headphones, not the track I was listening to when I disconnected the iPhone to get out). Basically the Pio keeps track of what is playing on the iPhone and resumes the same song, the Marantz not even the same folder! When you connect the iPhone to the Marantz, it starts from the usb source and you have to go through the folders (artists, albums, playlists or whatever), then scroll down, let's say 300 songs manually, to resume the song you were listening to before to connect it back. It can take 15 minutes... This is crazy!!! Are you saying that this is really how the Marantz works when connected to the iPhone??? I can't believe it! Do you think that Marantz will eventually fix this (HUGE) flaw through a firmware update? Do you know if the new SC5006/6006 will have the same flaw? I cannot buy a receiver with this problem and I don't think airplay is a real solution because the connection through usb cable allows (IMHO) a better music quality.

Anyway, please, could someone explain me the difference between the airplay and the Bluetooth device in terms of convenience to use? Which one works better? Can I control all the functions of the receiver with the bluetooth device, I mean skip the tracks, change the source, control the dvd, blue ray player, radio etc.??

I tried a Marantz app I found on the apple store (Marantz Wizz App), it was great and I could do everything I wanted with it (stream the music from the iPhone, skip the tracks, control the radio, the dvd, the blue ray player, basically the all functions of the receiver!), unfortunately it rarely worked. Is there anything similar that works??

Thanks for your help.

1) Regular 3M Scotch Tape, not the completely clear kind, but the sort you can write on, works fine. Just stick enough to cover the sensor on the amp (not on the remote!). I understand it helps to diffuse the IR beam, so the angle of attack(?) increases. It helped me hugely. No, no joke.

2) I like AirPlay a lot. All the iOS devices at home use it, so each family member can stream their choice of music from their respective iPhones or iPads. Added bonus, once you activate AirPlay on your iPhone, it switches on the Marantz, and switches it to the correct input, ie, Net/USB. I can't tell the difference between the USB cable connect and the AirPlay (Marantz and Quad 22L2s, 11L2s etc.), as far as sound quality is concerned. But the fact that I can use a familiar interface (the iPod app), with all control, from wherever in the house, and to whichever Zone, far outweighs quality differences, if any. And it does work consistently, with minimal issues. Be aware though, that the AirPlay feature on the Marantz has to be paid for additionally, and is a software download/upgrade.

3) The Marantz app works very well too. I use this mostly to switch on/off Zone 2, and adjust volume (my Zone 2 is the living room, Main Zone is the bedroom). It works well if you're playing via AirPlay, as you can see what's playing, and have (limited) transport controls, like pause, fast forward etc. If your app is crashing, I would check the wifi connection.
post #1003 of 2410 Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM

post #1004 of 2410 Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your help.

1) The Scotch Tape tweak worked for me as well. Use the type that looks slightly 'frosted' on the roll, smooth a piece over the sensor on the receiver and then use a knife to carefully trim around the little circular plastic lens you just covered and peel away the excess tape. You'll never even know it's there if you do it well. Takes about 15 seconds.

2) I'm not sure how a USB cable would make any difference in sound quality vs. streaming the same file to the receiver over a network -- the 7005 will be decoding the file at whatever bitrate it's encoded at regardless of how you connect to it. FLACs are lossless, MP3s are lossy and its as simple as that, so I wouldn't worry about sacrificing any audio quality because you're not using the USB input.

That said, the NET/USB interface on the 7005 is pretty dismal. The latest firmware did make it a bit snappier for me, but scrolling through long lists is pretty painful.

It does NOT do what you want it to, but you can use the 'search' function on the remote to scroll through 'pages' in the list, or by alpha-numeric sorting (ie: selecting 'G' to show all tracks/albums/artists beginning with that letter). Both methods are MUCH faster than going track-by-track.
post #1005 of 2410 Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingleyJoe View Post

That said, the NET/USB interface on the 7005 is pretty dismal. The latest firmware did make it a bit snappier for me, but scrolling through long lists is pretty painful.

It does NOT do what you want it to, but you can use the 'search' function on the remote to scroll through 'pages' in the list, or by alpha-numeric sorting (ie: selecting 'G' to show all tracks/albums/artists beginning with that letter). Both methods are MUCH faster than going track-by-track.

Well guys, thank you very much for the super detailed info about the scotch solution!

Bingley Joe, I think I never realized it was possible search by alphabetic or numeric order with the search button on the remote... Do you mean that when I connect the iPhone through usb cable I can search for a particular song pushing the search button and entering the alphabetic letters, let's say, L for "Let it be" of the Beatles? Can you do a detailed search or just the first letter/number? Sorry, if you can clarify it would be great, because I don't have the receiver anymore and I cannot try by myself. Thanks
post #1006 of 2410 Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM

I am considering going from an Anthem avm20 to the marantz av7005. Has anyone done this & i would like an opinion on sq & anything relevant. I just do not want to take a step backward.
post #1007 of 2410 Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM

kencc - I went from a Denon AVR-5803A to a Marantz SR7005 and I'm very happy. The 5803 was a $5K receiver when new in 2003.
post #1008 of 2410 Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Well guys, thank you very much for the super detailed info about the scotch solution!

Bingley Joe, I think I never realized it was possible search by alphabetic or numeric order with the search button on the remote... Do you mean that when I connect the iPhone through usb cable I can search for a particular song pushing the search button and entering the alphabetic letters, let's say, L for "Let it be" of the Beatles? Can you do a detailed search or just the first letter/number? Sorry, if you can clarify it would be great, because I don't have the receiver anymore and I cannot try by myself. Thanks

AFAIK, you can only search by sorting first characters (ie: show all tracks beginning with L and then scroll to "Let it be"). Repeatedly pressing the Search button will toggle between Prev/Next Page search, Alpha/Number Search, and 'normal'.

I did manage to find an on-screen keyboard for detailed search entry once, but it was in a different part of the UI (Internet Radio, I think), and I haven't had the time to figure out if it's available in Net/USB as well -- hopefully someone who knows for sure will confirm/deny. Sure would be useful if it was..
post #1009 of 2410 Old 05-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Hi,

Favor: can the folks on this forum reply or PM me a good place to pickup a SR7005? My local Magnolia will ship one @ list but I'm hoping there are better places to find one at a good value.

Please don't send prices - just looking for a place to start!

Thank you!!

-GMan
post #1010 of 2410 Old 05-29-2011, 06:02 PM

Where are you located GMan?
post #1011 of 2410 Old 06-05-2011, 02:54 AM

Hopefully someone can help me. I try to establish a network connection with the Marantz SR7005 (in order to download upgrades and firmware and of course get the Airplay upgrade) but I fail to succeed.

I´lI try the best I can to describe the setup I try to establish. I have a router/modem connected to 2 iMacs through Ethernet cables. Then throught the wireless options I connect to a Maccbook Pro from other places in the house. Last I have next to the Marantz SR7005 an Airport Express and between them an Ethernet cable. The idea was that throught the Ethernet cable, the Marantz would be connected to the Airport Express and then wireless the Airport Express would connect to my wireless network and connect to the Internet.

I tried everything DHCP on, off, putting in ip address, DNS etc. Proxy I was a bit usure but believe me I tried the entire day yesterday.

Ideal would be if someone with the same setup would tell me his or hers settings for both devices.

Thanks a lot in advance

Mark
post #1012 of 2410 Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

you need to set the router to "allow the wireless network to be extended" and set the airport express to "extend a wireless network"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1013 of 2410 Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Bigmacmagicmac, I'd hook up the SR7005 directly to your switch/router via ethernet cable. It'll be happier that way. Plus, downloads should be faster and more reliable.

Even if it's a temporary cable across the floor, I'd do the firmware updates in a wired mode.
post #1014 of 2410 Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 AM

Most of itunes TV-shows and series are not compatible with 5.1. Is there a setting at Marantz SR7005 to transform audio signal to 5.1?
post #1015 of 2410 Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Hey Guys I have been racking my brains and I am confused if I have a defective amp or something wrong with the set up but when playing music or movie I have virtual no mid bass, it rattles during low notes like train coming or something but for music I have no mid bass like drums hit or something of that nature. I am running ASW10CM B&W Sub and CM8 speakers. Music sound pretty bad I have have the gain of the sub to max and set the speaker level to +2 on the sub and its WEAK! I did the Audossey set up first thing I did, upgraded firmware as well. I am running most music from itunes. Also turning on the dynamic equalizer make the bass a little better but really poor and sub par. I have it set up as Large Speakers with SUB + LFE , if I turn off the SUB the bass is still weak any help would be appreciated.
post #1016 of 2410 Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

EAS1980 , Without even having to look up the exact size of your speakers* I can tell you that "speakers large" is the wrong setting. It is a misnomer of what's actually going on. Try "speakers small" and report back.

*[For example, pepole who have speakers which are taller than they are with, say, 6 15-inch woofers per cabinet should still use the "small" setting if they have a subwoofer in the system.}

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1017 of 2410 Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

+1...

"small" vs. "large" is one of the worst designations they could have used for "bass management"... the couldn't have named it worse if they tried...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1018 of 2410 Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks for advise tried to switch it to small speakers, sound better but I am getting that low rumbling bass but the mid still sound weak and sloppy I think it actually gets worse as it gets louder. On 46 it's not bad lacking but on 61 sounds like it chocking. Mid bass sounds very off any more suggestions.? If I turn dynamic eq off almost no bass what's so ever the volume on the sub is half way and level is on +3.0 db in channel level on sw. Something is gotta be wrong here I am thinking.
post #1019 of 2410 Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Do your speakers have bi-amp/wire jumper straps (usually gold coated bars) connecting low to high ins and are you sure they are good and tight? (a disconnected woofer on one speaker would yield bad bass output).

Put the volume knob on your sub to 50% and bypass its crossover (use "direct mode", as they call it on some), or if you can't do that on your sub , set it to the highest frequency possible, at least. Now run Audyssey again and trust all the settings it says except do not use Dyn Eq or Dyn Vol. Do not override its crossover selection even if it seems odd to you ( for example, too high for your speakers).

Report back.

P.S. Have you used these speakers and sub before in other systems?

post #1020 of 2410 Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Zillch,

Did that, speakers are not bi wired checked the connections all tight. Sub is set on line in with no cut off. Bass settings set to LFE, LPF set to 200 hz. Speakers set to small audessy decided large but switching makes very little difference. Listening to that's all by genesis with dynamic eq to off makes it sound like sound coming from satellite speakers. Dynamic EQ on makes it a little better.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page