The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 2410 Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just received mine today and barely had time to get it going. I connected the Oppo 83SE and Channel Islands amps to Vandersteen speakers all around. Threw on one of my m/ch reference SACD's and was able to listen for about half hour. No calibration or eq at all and Dsd to analog in the Oppo to the 7.1 inputs.
Very nice sound right off. Relaxed, natural, and no hint of digital edginess. High quality sound and appearance. I'm pretty impressed so far.
More later when I have time to set it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2410 Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM
AEC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnperry View Post

I just received mine today and barely had time to get it going. I connected the Oppo 83SE and Channel Islands amps to Vandersteen speakers all around. Threw on one of my m/ch reference SACD's and was able to listen for about half hour. No calibration or eq at all and Dsd to analog in the Oppo to the 7.1 inputs.
Very nice sound right off. Relaxed, natural, and no hint of digital edginess. High quality sound and appearance. I'm pretty impressed so far.
More later when I have time to set it up.

Have you tried in 2 channel direct (or pure or however Marantz denotes it)? When listening in Analog (other than 7.1), is your subwoofer active? I know that in "Pure Direct" mode, for 2 channel in the AV8003 that the sub is bypassed. I have a B&K AVR 507. In pure direct (2 channel) that my subwoofer is still active.
post #153 of 2410 Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Since the SR7005 (and AV7005) are based on the same guts as Denon - can I then safely assume that it has "auto surround"?

Let me explain, this is the function where, even on the same input, different kind of audio sources have different surround modes:

For example:

PS3 2 channel 48khz -> dolby prologic
PS3 2 channel 176khz -> pure direct
PS3 multi PCM -> no processing

This was true on the older Denon 4306 - is this still here today? I love this function in the Denon's... No need to fiddle surround modes when the source goes from 2.0 to 5.1 or such.

Yves
post #154 of 2410 Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Liked: 12
Hi Yves - I don't have a PS3 per se, but yes, this has Auto surround mode (as its default mode) - though generally in my case that means a stereo sources comes out stereo and a Dolby source comes out Dobly. I'm not sure what would happen with the 2 channel PS3 modes or if it would choose what you have listed above. If there's a way to test this for you, let me know and I'd be glad to.
post #155 of 2410 Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Thank you all for the valuable info. 1 question:

Can you adjust subwoofer level up or down with a button (either on stock remote or programed into a logitech)? My old Sony makes me go through 4 menus to get to that setting ... Rather annoying if want to make fine tune adjustments on the fly.
Thanks in advance
post #156 of 2410 Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbagner View Post

Hi all - long time lurker, first time post...

I'm considering the SR7005 for network and multizone capabilities vs a 3-zone Sonos setup and non-networked receiver (ie, the SR5005 or 6005). Anyone have any experience with the network functionality of the SR7005? How is it for streaming local music files and online services like Pandora, etc? Does anyone know if the Marantz iPhone app works yet?

Also, looking at the SR7005 manual, it looks like you can only power either zone 2 or zone 3 (but not both). The manual tells you to wire zones 2 or 3 to the "Surr Back/Amp Assign" speaker terminals and specify one of them in the "Amp Assign" menu. Bi-amping the front speakers also uses the same "Surr Back/Amp Assign" terminals, so apparently you can only do one of the three options (bi-amp, power zone 2, or power zone 3). Is that correct? I'm new to multizone receivers, so I wasn't sure how this would work.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks,
Bill

I understand the appeal of usning the zones on your A/V reciever--I use my older Marantz to feed my kitchen and dining room seperately from my family room. At the end of the day though, the SONOS is just a lot easier to use. When I want to spend a little more money, I'll probably buy a 4th zone player for the Kitchen and Dining Room and put all the control in one handheld device.
post #157 of 2410 Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Or Squeezebox...
post #158 of 2410 Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

Have you tried in 2 channel direct (or pure or however Marantz denotes it)? When listening in Analog (other than 7.1), is your subwoofer active? I know that in "Pure Direct" mode, for 2 channel in the AV8003 that the sub is bypassed. I have a B&K AVR 507. In pure direct (2 channel) that my subwoofer is still active.

My subwoofers come off the mains so I can't answer that for you. I run a separate tubed preamp for the stereo outs. Will try them through the Marantz soon. Been pretty surprised already and if it comes close, may even use it for all my sources.. sure would simplify things for me.
post #159 of 2410 Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 AM

Here is my experience.

Took 40 minutes to setup the SR7005 and most of that was removing the inserts from banana sockets and connecting bi-amped speaker cables plus all the rest of the 5.1 speakers.

Plugged the HDMI for TV, WD TV Live and Cambridge Audio multi-format player BD, SACD, DVD Audio etc. Connected the internet cable. Turned it on and waited 11 minutes for the firmware upgrade.

Then I spent three hours enjoying the sound and making minor adjustments.

DLNA streaming is not too bad. I do not mind the simple interface. I tried controlling the music streaming with my iPod touch and it was super simple. So much better than having to keep a TV on to know what is playing.

There was some jerky playback when jumping tracks. I think buffering of the stream might need to be improved.

Compared the sound with the WD TV Live and found a small but important increase in dynamic range and stereo image.

Playing SACD and DVD Audio was almost scary. Parts of the room were rattling during Breathe from Dark Side of the Moon. I could hear every bit of hiss from master tapes on FLAC files of some old CDs. Definitely makes me want to get remastered ones.

This replaced a SR6004 and I thought it was good. The difference is quite simply huge. The 7005 was running cooler than the 6004 and outputting more power at the same time.

I mainly listen to music so have not tested movies apart for a 10 minute flip through 2001. Streaming of DVD worked well.

I look forward to a few improvements. Gapless playback via DLNA is a must for listening to music. I fail to understand why Marantz missed this. Album art would be a good thing to show.

Overall the musical clarity is stunning. I like the relative simplicity of the unit and listen to most of my music in source direct. I think some of the perceived distortion in the high end (reported previously) could be from excess processing with surround modes. In Source Direct the sound quality is noticeably cleaner and the highs are clear. Sibilant vocals can sound harsh when reproduced accurately. What really tells you that there is distortion is when you get "pure" vocal notes that sound edgy and ragged. I heard none of that. This amplifier could easily damage a lot of speakers, from what I observed when running it at the top end of its output.

I am very happy
post #160 of 2410 Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM

Just got my Sr 7005, and it's a very nicely-built receiver. I particularly lie the front fascia. The only problem is I have no video, only sound. I have an older 720P LCD TV. Would that be an issue? Did not update firmware yet. I will do that this evening. I chose the Marantz over the Denon siblings because of its reputation for sound quality. It's not the same as my dedicated 2-channel tube based system, but it 's very good, considered that it just got hooked up. Any thought on why I have no video aside from upgrading firmware? Both the cable box and the Oppo BD83 are connected to the receiver with HDMIs and another HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Thanks.
post #161 of 2410 Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 AM

i don't have one and haven't gone completely thru the manual yet, but the 1st thing that comes to mind is check and see if the video is set for pass thru or if it is trying to upconvert to 1080p. ofcourse this is assuming you have the inputs assigned correctly.
post #162 of 2410 Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM

If you can see the menu, then it's probably the video assign that's set up wrong. If you can't even see the menu or the Marantz logo, then it's somewhere in the connection to the display. I really doubt it's the Marantz, but I suppose it's a possibility.
post #163 of 2410 Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 AM

I purchased a Samsung PN58C80000 and the Marantz SR6005 from OneCall yesterday. I passed on the 7005 because I think the only thing I was giving up was Internet connectivity which I can get through the TV or Bluray player. I don't need the multi-zone capability as this is just a Home Theater application. I hope I didn't make a mistake. Now I am looking for speakers
post #164 of 2410 Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 AM

YAY! I ordered mine today along with an 8700 UB. I'm super excited since I've been without my theater since lightning struck a couple of months ago.

I would like to say that one thing I liked about this marantz is the internet upgradeable firmware. My 8002 didn't have that, and since there isn't any service center CLOSE to mississippi, I never did get the firmware updated.

Next weekend can't come soon enough!
post #165 of 2410 Old 10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Next weekend?

What are you expecting to arrive/happen next weekend?

Which components???
post #166 of 2410 Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidgerine View Post

YAY! I ordered mine today along with an 8700 UB. I'm super excited since I've been without my theater since lightning struck a couple of months ago.

I would like to say that one thing I liked about this marantz is the internet upgradeable firmware. My 8002 didn't have that, and since there isn't any service center CLOSE to mississippi, I never did get the firmware updated.

Next weekend can't come soon enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post

Next weekend?

Which components???

post #167 of 2410 Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post

Next weekend?

Which components???

The 8700UB and the Marantz 7005, and the ceiling mount for the 8700UB. That's what should be here by next weekend.
post #168 of 2410 Old 10-08-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Which Marantz 7005 - am I correct in assuming the SR7005 and not the AV7005?
post #169 of 2410 Old 10-09-2010, 04:08 AM

So is it for sure that you can't run 9.1 on this receiver even with an external
2 channel amp to run the heights or wides?
If this is true I don't get it. My old 8200 lets me run 7.1 with another amp.
Thanks
post #170 of 2410 Old 10-09-2010, 10:23 AM

I'm getting the SR7005
post #171 of 2410 Old 10-09-2010, 10:42 AM

There's internal amps for height and width.
post #172 of 2410 Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 AM

since nobody has responded to this one i will say what i know. can't give technical terms but i do know that it has something to do with limitations of the processor in that it has internal amps for the additional channels, but the manual states you can use either or, not a combination of. therefore you have to chose between surround back, or front height, or front wide, but a max of 7.2. their av7005 works the same way. i have no clue as to why. was almost a deal breaker for me to go with marantz because of this, but for my setup i only use 5.1 anyway so i'm still going with it. hope this helps.
post #173 of 2410 Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM

Is it possible to Bi-amp my front speakers with the SR7005? I have a 5.1 setup and would like to utilize all the amps in the receiver. Is it possible to Bi-Amp each front?
post #174 of 2410 Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Yes it is possible. You can use the amp assign function to use the two extra channels for bi-amping purposes
post #175 of 2410 Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian View Post

since nobody has responded to this one i will say what i know. can't give technical terms but i do know that it has something to do with limitations of the processor in that it has internal amps for the additional channels, but the manual states you can use either or, not a combination of. therefore you have to chose between surround back, or front height, or front wide, but a max of 7.2. their av7005 works the same way. i have no clue as to why. was almost a deal breaker for me to go with marantz because of this, but for my setup i only use 5.1 anyway so i'm still going with it. hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. I know I am in the minority that wants to run 9.1 but unless marantz has a good reason why you can't run 9.1 by adding a two channel external amp they fall short again. They allowed you to do it in the past
and now it is gone for a flagship receiver. I love the look of this receiver and currently own Marantz. I must look at Denon
post #176 of 2410 Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 PM

Just a note that I'm still very pleased with my SR7005 overall and would highly recommend one. =) A few notes:

- Sound quality is excellent; whenever I have a problem, I find it's usually the source.

- Audyssey/Dynamic EQ/Dynamic Volume is pretty impressive at lower than reference volume levels, but I've found for higher volume listening I still prefer to turn it all off (except for the levels/distances of course) and hear things without any EQ (ie. flat). Somehow just slightly more natural (but I do mean slightly - it's very close). I keep changing my mind on which I prefer as it all sounds good so this may not stick. lol.

- One slight disappointment was the RX101 bluetooth adapter. It works as advertised and I can now play all sound from my computer or iPad, but the quality is not what I hoped for - it sounds very compressed and in some cases distorted. Haven't seemed to find a fix or way to improve it.

- Other than that, just settling in and really enjoying. =)
post #177 of 2410 Old 10-15-2010, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Something is severely lacking in thread... we have owners and no pics!
post #178 of 2410 Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post

- Audyssey/Dynamic EQ/Dynamic Volume is pretty impressive at lower than reference volume levels, but I've found for higher volume listening I still prefer to turn it all off (except for the levels/distances of course) and hear things without any EQ (ie. flat). Somehow just slightly more natural (but I do mean slightly - it's very close). I keep changing my mind on which I prefer as it all sounds good so this may not stick. lol.

Have you (or any other owner) been able to verify that the unit is capable of decoding lossless audio from a Blu-ray and applying Audyssey at the same time (prior Marantz units could not do both at the same time)?

Thanks.

post #179 of 2410 Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

No one seems to know for certain yet. But the SR7005/AV7005 is supposedly based on the Denon 3311CI, which uses the AKM AK4358 8 channel monolithic DAC. Marantz also has a history of using multiple higher quality stereo DACs in its disc players but cheaper multichannel DACs in its AVRs. Even the venerable AV8003 pre/pro implemented only a single Cirrus CS4382A 8 channel monolithic DAC.

AJ

Did anyone ever find this out? Would be very interested in what they choose as their DAC in the SR5005/SR6005/SR7005. Trying to look at which one of them would be best suited for my requirements but don't want to discount the importance of the audio portion of the AVR.

Anyone????

Thanks.

Cheers.
post #180 of 2410 Old 10-16-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Have you (or any other owner) been able to verify that the unit is capable of decoding lossless audio from a Blu-ray and applying Audyssey at the same time (prior Marantz units could not do both at the same time)?

Thanks.

Just tried this and I was able to use Audyssey/DynamicEQ/Dynamic Volume in DTS-HD High Res mode without a problem. Does this answer what you're asking?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page