post #181 of 2410 Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post

Just tried this and I was able to use Audyssey/DynamicEQ/Dynamic Volume in DTS-HD High Res mode without a problem. Does this answer what you're asking?

As long as we are both understanding each other, yes.

You bitstreamed audio from your Blu-ray player and the sr7005 decoded the DTS-HD at the same time as applying Audyssey room correction.

This is great news (assuming it applies to the av7005 as well) as the earlier limitation is what ended my dream to own a sr8002.

Thanks for the report.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2410 Old 10-16-2010, 10:13 PM

Liked: 12
I believe we are.

Yesterday when I was playing a Blu Ray I saw "Multi Ch In", and realized it must be using PCM. So I found out my Sony Blu-Ray player had "Mix" enabled for interactive audio, and switching it to Direct mode it so now I see "DTS-HD High Res" in the display when playing Blu Ray.

And tonight, I was able to turn Audyssey (MultEQ XT), DynamicEQ, and Dynamic Volume on and off with no problem, and it kept displaying DTS-HD regardless.
post #183 of 2410 Old 10-16-2010, 11:19 PM

post #184 of 2410 Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 AM

Liked: 11
Is anyone here disappointed with their new SR7005? I am leaning towards purchasing one over the Pioneer SC-37 but am cautious about the sound quality. I heard the SC-37 and was very impressed with sound quality and power, are SR7005 owners happy with the power output?
post #185 of 2410 Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alour View Post

Is anyone here disappointed with their new SR7005? I am leaning towards purchasing one over the Pioneer SC-37 but am cautious about the sound quality. I heard the SC-37 and was very impressed with sound quality and power, are SR7005 owners happy with the power output?

I'm in a unique position as I actually owned the SC-37 about a week before returning it (as some ports were defective on it and I feared it was gray market) and getting the SR7005.

I haven't looked back since.

There's no doubt that the SC-37 is a beast and a great receiver. It's quite a bit heavier than this Marantz and bigger as well (with slightly more room around the posts), but I don't necessarily consider that a pro (maybe because mine came broken and the Marantz is perfect). It does have a bit more wattage per channel and a few extra bells and whistles (for example, stadium mode and jazz club mode and classical mode, but then these are things I'd never really *use* and probably only play with). The SC-37 had Sirius internet radio streaming built in if you have an account, which is probably the only thing I miss a little, but that was pretty easily fixed with a mobile device and headphone to stereo jack (or bluetooth adapter, though I'm not impressed with bluetooth quality so far).

The Marantz has its pro's too. Being a tad smaller/lighter makes it easier to work with, it actually looks a bit cooler IMO, it's well thought out with stereo audio + composite in on the front under the panel, which I use and which the SC-37 lacked. Its GUI overlays over the screen whereas with the SC-37, it has to switch to a separate GUI menu (unless I never figured out overlay, but I don't think so). Audio quality is superb and quite a bit warmer than the SC-37's in my opinion, which I find a plus as to my ears it sounds more natural. It has two subwoofer outputs as opposed to the SC-37's one, which I happen to use in my setup as I have subs built into my mains. Possibly not an issue, but I was having power problems for a while too (solved with a new power conditioner/backup model), but I can tell you the Marantz is also more effecient on power than the SC-37 as the 37 kept tripping up my APC and the Marantz did not. (Unfortunately when I got my plasma, the APC still needed replaced.)

Audyssey on the Marantz seemed to work better for me than MCACC did, but a large part of that is probably the subwoofer out on the SC-37 was broken, and MCACC had a hard time understanding my built-in front crossovers through speaker wire only - it did much better once I turned the knobs all the way up on the subs right before I had to send it back, but I'd still give the nod to Audyssey as it nailed it the first time (I have calibrated again twice since, but only after modifying speaker placement, etc.).

Powerwise, *I* can't personally notice any appreciable difference. They both go up past reference to clear volume levels I won't be listening at (too loud for any sustained listening for my ears).

If I can answer any other questions, please let me know.

Having owned both, I can say you probably can't go *wrong* with either. Had my SC-37 been good, I probably would have kept it and been perfectly happy. That said, I think having to send that one back, I ended up with a receiver that may actually in the end be an even better fit for me, as I love the warm sound and some of the features work out better in my setup. I chose the SR7005 after speaking to Definitive Technology, the manufacturers of my Mythos ST speakers, and they recommended Marantz paired with their speakers; I couldn't get an advance replacement on the Pioneer, and couldn't find a dealer I was comfortable with authorized, whereas I could with the Marantz, so it becamse the easy choice.

If I can answer anything else, I'd be more than happy to.
post #186 of 2410 Old 10-17-2010, 02:20 PM
EJD

Liked: 10
sgupta-

I saw your pics and noticed that you have the front panel on the 7005 open. Have you found that you need to keep it open most of the time in order to have a handle on what's happening with your receiver?

I really like the portal, but my fear is that it wouldn't give me enough info and I would end up keeping the front panel open all the time, which kind of defeats the purpose of the portal.

What have you found?
post #187 of 2410 Old 10-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm in a unique position as I actually owned the SC-37 about a week before returning it (as some ports were defective on it and I feared it was gray market) and getting the SR7005.

I haven't looked back since.

There's no doubt that the SC-37 is a beast and a great receiver. It's quite a bit heavier than this Marantz and bigger as well (with slightly more room around the posts), but I don't necessarily consider that a pro (maybe because mine came broken and the Marantz is perfect). It does have a bit more wattage per channel and a few extra bells and whistles (for example, stadium mode and jazz club mode and classical mode, but then these are things I'd never really *use* and probably only play with). The SC-37 had Sirius internet radio streaming built in if you have an account, which is probably the only thing I miss a little, but that was pretty easily fixed with a mobile device and headphone to stereo jack (or bluetooth adapter, though I'm not impressed with bluetooth quality so far).

The Marantz has its pro's too. Being a tad smaller/lighter makes it easier to work with, it actually looks a bit cooler IMO, it's well thought out with stereo audio + composite in on the front under the panel, which I use and which the SC-37 lacked. Its GUI overlays over the screen whereas with the SC-37, it has to switch to a separate GUI menu (unless I never figured out overlay, but I don't think so). Audio quality is superb and quite a bit warmer than the SC-37's in my opinion, which I find a plus as to my ears it sounds more natural. It has two subwoofer outputs as opposed to the SC-37's one, which I happen to use in my setup as I have subs built into my mains. Possibly not an issue, but I was having power problems for a while too (solved with a new power conditioner/backup model), but I can tell you the Marantz is also more effecient on power than the SC-37 as the 37 kept tripping up my APC and the Marantz did not. (Unfortunately when I got my plasma, the APC still needed replaced.)

Audyssey on the Marantz seemed to work better for me than MCACC did, but a large part of that is probably the subwoofer out on the SC-37 was broken, and MCACC had a hard time understanding my built-in front crossovers through speaker wire only - it did much better once I turned the knobs all the way up on the subs right before I had to send it back, but I'd still give the nod to Audyssey as it nailed it the first time (I have calibrated again twice since, but only after modifying speaker placement, etc.).

Powerwise, *I* can't personally notice any appreciable difference. They both go up past reference to clear volume levels I won't be listening at (too loud for any sustained listening for my ears).

If I can answer any other questions, please let me know.

Having owned both, I can say you probably can't go *wrong* with either. Had my SC-37 been good, I probably would have kept it and been perfectly happy. That said, I think having to send that one back, I ended up with a receiver that may actually in the end be an even better fit for me, as I love the warm sound and some of the features work out better in my setup. I chose the SR7005 after speaking to Definitive Technology, the manufacturers of my Mythos ST speakers, and they recommended Marantz paired with their speakers; I couldn't get an advance replacement on the Pioneer, and couldn't find a dealer I was comfortable with authorized, whereas I could with the Marantz, so it becamse the easy choice.

If I can answer anything else, I'd be more than happy to.

I just ordered a 7005 to replace a Pioneer SC-25, and I found your comments very helpful. It won't be in for a couple of weeks, but I'm really looking forward to it, especially the superior video processing, GUI overlay, and a multiple point EQ (my room is very awkward). I find it interesting that people are trashing on the GUI--I watched the two youtube videos posted earlier, and even the so-called "crappy" one blows my SC-25's out of the water. I don't really care how the GUI looks, as long as it's functional, I just thought it was funny. I'm a bit worried that I've been spoiled by the Class D ice amps, but we'll see how it goes.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #188 of 2410 Old 10-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post

sgupta-

I saw your pics and noticed that you have the front panel on the 7005 open. Have you found that you need to keep it open most of the time in order to have a handle on what's happening with your receiver?

I really like the portal, but my fear is that it wouldn't give me enough info and I would end up keeping the front panel open all the time, which kind of defeats the purpose of the portal.

What have you found?

Yes, I keep the 7005 door open at all times, as that's just the way I prefer it personally as I'm the type that likes to see all the information. It looks just fine like that and the door doesn't bother me - it's not even noticeable most of the time. The door closing and the bubble is only good for those who want the minimum amount of information.

If you want to use just the bubble display, ALL that appears to show is the volume level and input (ie. BD, SAT, etc...I have mine customized to say TiVo, DirecTV, etc.). It doesn't show stuff like Stereo or Dobly or DTS - to see that, you'll want to use the lower display with the door open. (But with it open, it shows basically everything the Pioneer did.)

Hope this information is helpful and sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear.
post #189 of 2410 Old 10-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

I just ordered a 7005 to replace a Pioneer SC-25, and I found your comments very helpful. It won't be in for a couple of weeks, but I'm really looking forward to it, especially the superior video processing, GUI overlay, and a multiple point EQ (my room is very awkward). I find it interesting that people are trashing on the GUI--I watched the two youtube videos posted earlier, and even the so-called "crappy" one blows my SC-25's out of the water. I don't really care how the GUI looks, as long as it's functional, I just thought it was funny. I'm a bit worried that I've been spoiled by the Class D ice amps, but we'll see how it goes.

Yeah - I realize from my research some of the Denons have snazzier GUI's, etc. But this one overlays fine (which the Pioneer won't at all), works well once you get to know it (I think they're all mildly confusing at first), and I find it a bit prettier than the Pioneers was lol. To me, the GUI isn't a dealbreaker either.

About the only other thing I can think of where the Pioneers win is the remote reception. I will say the Pioneer remote seemed a bit more responsive/less finicky...I didn't have to point directly at the receiver as much. But the Marantz's works well enough - it just needs to be pointed quite directly.

I'm not familiar enough with amps to comment on ice vs. others - I know the Pioneers use ice and I don't believe the Marantz does, but sound quality wise, if anything I really like how the Marantz sounds due to the warmth the Pioneer seemed to lack somewhat (in exchange for the Pioneer seeming a bit more dynamic). Everyone's ears are different, and I certainly recommend playing with various settings/levels of Audyssey, etc. But I'm very pleased with my Marantz. Looking forward to hearing your impressions once you get yours. =)
post #190 of 2410 Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

So I got an SR7005 and I am going to compare it to Denon 4311ci I got few days earlier.

Just set it up but ran into a snag. It does not recognize multi channel sound over HDMI from my universal player (Pioneer DV-58av). With both DVD-Audio and SACD discs. DVD-Video play fine in multichannel (compressed of course). So do Blu-rays with HD audio from my Dune Prime player. But DVD-A and SACD from the Pioneer play in stereo (unless I use 7.1 analog inputs).

This is weird - SR5005 I had before and sent back did not have any problems with that. Neither has the 4311ci (plus it decodes DCD when playing SACDs).

EDIT: so it seems it has a problem with multi channel audio >48 kHz. I tried a couple of DVD-Audio discs with 48kHz music (24-bit) and it played multichannel over HDMI fine. But DVD-Audio discs in 96kHz or any SACD play as stereo! (the latter being converted to PCM by the player of course since SR7005 doesn't support DCD decoding - I guess at higher than 48kHz frequency). Must be a bug, because SR5005 did not have any problems and I can't envision SR7005 being less capable.

EDIT again: problem solved. The resolution was set to 480p on my player! Changing it to 1080p resolved to sound problem. There is a stupid limitation of HDMI protocol where total bandwidth is a function of the display resolution. I knew about it in the context of DVD video but I did not really occur to me it applies to DVD audio and SACD as well!

Btw, I also noticed SR7005 requires careful pointing remote at it. 4311CI and SR5005 have better IR reception. All units were in the same spot in the same room of course.
post #191 of 2410 Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

So I got an SR7005 and I am going to compare it to Denon 4311ci I got few days earlier.

Just set it up but ran into a snag. It does not recognize multi channel sound over HDMI from my universal player (Pioneer DV-58av). With both DVD-Audio and SACD discs. DVD-Video play fine in multichannel (compressed of course). So do Blu-rays with HD audio from my Dune Prime player. But DVD-A and SACD from the Pioneer play in stereo (unless I use 7.1 analog inputs).

This is weird - SR5005 I had before and sent back did not have any problems with that. Neither has the 4311ci (plus it decodes DCD when playing SACDs).

EDIT: so it seems it has a problem with multi channel audio >48 kHz. I tried a couple of DVD-Audio discs with 48kHz music (24-bit) and it played multichannel over HDMI fine. But DVD-Audio discs in 96kHz or any SACD play as stereo! (the latter being converted to PCM by the player of course since SR7005 doesn't support DCD decoding - I guess at higher than 48kHz frequency). Must be a bug, because SR5005 did not have any problems and I can't envision SR7005 being less capable.

Btw, I also noticed SR7005 requires careful pointing remote at it. 4311CI and SR5005 have better IR reception. All units were in the same spot in the same room of course.

Many people also said something about the IR reception. I wonder if they placed the receiver a little bit more behind with the front panel design difference and caused the narrowing of the angle(narrower by simply shielded by the panel)

As they have said the 7005 is like 3311 in the inside, how is the sound quality compared between the 4311 and the 7005??
post #192 of 2410 Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince0312 View Post

Many people also said something about the IR reception. I wonder if they placed the receiver a little bit more behind with the front panel design difference and caused the narrowing of the angle(narrower by simply shielded by the panel)

As they have said the 7005 is like 3311 in the inside, how is the sound quality compared between the 4311 and the 7005??

Yes, SR7005 is like 3311 inside. Sound quality too early to tell - I *think* both Marantzs sound brighter than 4311ci and I may like it better than 4311ci but it's really too early to tell.

The poor IR reception is probably due to the small circular IR sensor window - separate from the main display that is behind the door.
post #193 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:

I don't really have any DVD-Audio ot SACD to try, but that seems really odd. Did you try updating firmware to the latest? I know mine did have an update available when I first got it.

Yeah I've definitely noticed the remote thing too. Not terrible but not nearly as sensitive as my SC-37 (or most of my other equipment frankly). Still, not a dealbreaker for me in my setup - I just need to stay mindful of it.
post #194 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 04:52 AM

Hi All,

I'm considering getting this unit. I was hoping to tug the thread on the video processing/upscaling side of things.

We watch a lot of Austar (australian satelite TV) which generally looks pretty ordinary. I currently have an old Pioneer DVR-650H DVD which does a pretty good job of upscaling the set top box svideo output to 1080p, but it's on its last legs. My TV is an Pana 58" V10, and while it does an an adequate job, the Pioneer looks better.

I'd like to have the Marantz pick up where the pioneer left off. Will the Marantz have better upscaling de-interlacing capability than the admittedly garden variety Pioneer DVDR?

Sorry for the vagueness of the questions. Video processing is a foreign concept to a guy still using a Marantz PM80SE.

Cheers.
post #195 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 06:41 AM

If the SR7005 cannot handle multichannel DVD-A and SACD thru HDMI then this would certainly be a deal breaker for me. Hopefully this is just a defective unit or a settings issue. Any others try this?
post #196 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

It can "play" DVD-A and SACD - but they're converted to PCM for playback.
post #197 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't really have any DVD-Audio ot SACD to try, but that seems really odd. Did you try updating firmware to the latest? I know mine did have an update available when I first got it.

I did and it said the firmware is the latest. I did not see firmware version number anywhere, I'll check again later. If you can see the firmware version yours updated to please post it here.
post #198 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Problem solved. Video output on my player was accidentally set to 480p instead of 1080p and that limited the total bandwidth available also for the audio. I edited my post above.
post #199 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:

Problem solved. Video output on my player was accidentally set to 480p instead of 1080p and that limited the total bandwidth available also for the audio. I edited my post above.

Phew!

post #200 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:

As requested, a few (albeit not great - sorry) pics of my setup, including the SR7005. =)

Looks like you have a Series3 Tivo also. Have you tried to output it to Zone2 or Zone3? By using the component out I can switch video to the other room but not the sound. It might be because I'm using the optical audio connection from Tivo to the SR7005.

I do love this receiver though!

Just saw the previous posts about the IR reception and I have noticed the same thing. You must be right on when pointing your remote.

Bryan
post #201 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I did and it said the firmware is the latest. I did not see firmware version number anywhere, I'll check again later. If you can see the firmware version yours updated to please post it here.

I don't recall seeing a version either - just when I checked, there was an update, and it updated itself. (Keep in mind I've had mine for a couple weeks now, so it's very possible yours is already up to date - it was just a thought).
post #202 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Oooh...weird and good to know. Glad this is fixed for you. =)
post #203 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper1998 View Post

Looks like you have a Series3 Tivo also. Have you tried to output it to Zone2 or Zone3? By using the component out I can switch video to the other room but not the sound. It might be because I'm using the optical audio connection from Tivo to the SR7005.

I do love this receiver though!

Just saw the previous posts about the IR reception and I have noticed the same thing. You must be right on when pointing your remote.

Yup, TivoHD XL here. Unfortunately, I can't answer this as I don't use the other zones at all - sorry. For me, everything is connected via HDMI only.

I am wondering if it's possible (using only HDMI connection) to listen to one source while playing video from another, but I'm guessing from exploring the options it's not, at least the way things are hooked up presently. (IE, it would be neat to be able to listen to a CD on my DVD player while getting video from Tivo or DirecTV). But I'm not sure any receiver can do this with the minimum number of connections. If I'm wrong and there's a way, I'd love to know about it.
post #204 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince0312 View Post

Is anyone with the IR reception issues using a Harmony remote, or just the Marantz one?

post #205 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Is anyone with the IR reception issues using a Harmony remote, or just the Marantz one?

Harmony 900 here (not currently using RF addon; just IR) - seems to be about the same; the Harmony might work slightly better (that was perception) but in testing them side by side I can't reliably see the Harmony making a big performance difference.
post #206 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM
EJD

unclemat-

Other than the GUI overlay (which I remember you needed) and IR sensitivity, how would you compare the 5005 and 7005? Is the 7005 worth the extra $$?
post #207 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Harmony 900 here (not currently using RF addon; just IR) - seems to be about the same; the Harmony might work slightly better (that was perception) but in testing them side by side I can't reliably see the Harmony making a big performance difference.

That's a bummer. I hope I have better results when mine arrives.

post #208 of 2410 Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:

That's a bummer. I hope I have better results when mine arrives.

I don't want to overblow this out of proportion. It's a bit annoying at first, but certainly by no means any sort of dealbreaker, at least for me. I'm pretty used to it at this point and point it to the right spot without thinking a lot about it. So I'd say it's a small issue. It's just something to get used to if you're coming from something with a wider angle.

Also, I noticed you too have a VT25, so there's an interesting workaround via HDMI. You can set the TV to control volume on the AVR. IE, you send the IR signal to the TV to decrease volume, and it adjusts the AVR.
post #209 of 2410 Old 10-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't want to overblow this out of proportion. It's a bit annoying at first, but certainly by no means any sort of dealbreaker, at least for me. I'm pretty used to it at this point and point it to the right spot without thinking a lot about it. So I'd say it's a small issue. It's just something to get used to if you're coming from something with a wider angle.

Also, I noticed you too have a VT25, so there's an interesting workaround via HDMI. You can set the TV to control volume on the AVR. IE, you send the IR signal to the TV to decrease volume, and it adjusts the AVR.

That's great news, sgupta. Yeah, I've seen you over on the vt25 thread. I have another question for you (or anyone else here who's an owner of the 7005): I have a 7.1 setup, does the Marantz "up-mix" DTS HD MA and DD TrueHD to include the rear surrrounds? My Pio Elite SC-25 does, but my old Onkyo didn't. Any info would be much appreciated.

I mean for DTS HD MA and DD TrueHD 5.1

post #210 of 2410 Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:

That's great news, sgupta. Yeah, I've seen you over on the vt25 thread. I have another question for you (or anyone else here who's an owner of the 7005): I have a 7.1 setup, does the Marantz "up-mix" DTS HD MA and DD TrueHD to include the rear surrrounds? My Pio Elite SC-25 does, but my old Onkyo didn't. Any info would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question but funnily enough have been wondering the opposite. That is, I have 5.1 speakers, and I'm wondering for 7.1 sources if the Marantz will combine the surround backs with the surrounds so I hear all channels without using a special mode.

I will say the one thing I have found that *might* be answering our questions to some degree is, I have a THX disk (DVD, not Blu Ray, so this is regular Dolby) including the THX audio tests, and when I do the room setup test, front, center, left, and sub all work normally. Surrounds work normally too, but what's interesting is, when it tests the surround backs, my regular surrounds make the tone.

From that, I'm inclined to think for 7.1 sources, it outputs both the surround and rear surround channel to the physical surrounds of a 5.1 speaker system.

How it handles the reverse I couldn't say. Though I'm wondering if it would actually be optimal to upmix 5.1 to 7.1 - wouldn't that change where the sound appears to be coming from? In other words, I can see why you'd want to downmix 7.1 to 5.1 so you hear everything even if directional sound isn't 100% accurate (as it's not going to be anyway without those extra speakers), but upmixing 5.1 to 7.1 sounds like it might make the sound field less accurate without adding any real benefit.

Just my thoughts - sorry I can't give you a defnitive answer.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page