AVS Forum banner

The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!!

467K views 3K replies 397 participants last post by  44mlb 
#1 ·
Its so close.. Marantz says they will have the first units here end of next week..

I am so excited about this new receiver.. Great Specs and awesome looks..

I attached some PDF's

Craig

7005.pdf 280.849609375k . file

Attachments

#2,003 ·
[This is a general post and is not meant to specifically address the previous one]

Pure Direct and Source Direct are worthless marketing gimmicks (that don't even work exactly as advertised, but that's a side issue). They cater to the "audiophile" "purist" mentality that one's speakers are "perfect" (and their room acoustics, at least for the limited number of them who understand how critical a speaker's placement, angling, and the room shape, etc., profoundly alters the tonal balance) and therefor thinks, "We don't need no stinking band-aid, electrical modification called EQ, thank you very much". They seem to forget that the very speakers themselves have a much more primitive EQ circuit already built in: their, OMG, passive crossover, prone to all sorts of colorations and phase issues, etc that make any "shortcomings" of the active circuits look quite benign in comparison.

This exact same mentality is also why we have the ridiculous and audibly destructive "LFE + main" or "double bass" feature in most if not all current brands, which should be patently avoided by all even if one's speakers have multiple 15 inch woofers and are the size of refrigerators, assuming there is a competent sub being used, that is. It is in place to stroke the ego of buyers with big speakers.

Many of you who have worked in this industry for many decades, like I have, may remember the third option after "source" and "pure" called "CD Direct" back when CDs were new and all gear had to have a stamp of "CD Ready" to pass muster with the naive consumers. What did it do? Well it bypassed the potentially sound bastardizing aspects of one's input selector, of course, and lay a direct path from the CD input straight to the preamp. "But what if that direct switch itself introduces the exact same sort of problem that the input selector knob is being accused of introducing?", one might ask. "Shut up. You need whatever gimmick we tell you you need!" replied the audio vendors.

Me? I'm waiting for "Ultra Pure SACD Direct Bypass PRO" which, not only bypasses the tonal balance, ch. trim, delay circuits, bass management, and illuminated indication that it is even engaged, not to mention the input selector, it even bypasses the preamp section entirely so your variable volume out SACD player, with its wonderful DACs, drives the power amp itself, without any "colorations" that the lowly, pedestrian hobbyists stupidly endure. "But what if the variable volume out circuit of the SACD player itself has the same distortions as the..." "SHUT UP AND JUST BUY IT ALREADY!"

Reactions: erhurd
#2,006 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/1980#post_23112050

[This is a general post and is not meant to specifically address the previous one]

Pure Direct and Source Direct are worthless marketing gimmicks (that don't even work exactly as advertised, but that's a side issue). They cater to the "audiophile" "purist" mentality that one's speakers are "perfect" (and their room acoustics, at least for the limited number of them who understand how critical a speaker's placement, angling, and the room shape, etc., profoundly alters the tonal balance) and therefor thinks, "We don't need no stinking band-aid, electrical modification called EQ, thank you very much". They seem to forget that the very speakers themselves have a much more primitive EQ circuit already built in: their, OMG, passive crossover, prone to all sorts of colorations and phase issues, etc that make any "shortcomings" of the active circuits look quite benign in comparison.

This exact same mentality is also why we have the ridiculous and audibly destructive "LFE + main" or "double bass" feature in most if not all current brands, which should be patently avoided by all even if one's speakers have multiple 15 inch woofers and are the size of refrigerators, assuming there is a competent sub being used, that is. It is in place to stroke the ego of buyers with big speakers.

Many of you who have worked in this industry for many decades, like I have, may remember the third option after "source" and "pure" called "CD Direct" back when CDs were new and all gear had to have a stamp of "CD Ready" to pass muster with the naive consumers. What did it do? Well it bypassed the potentially sound bastardizing aspects of one's input selector, of course, and lay a direct path from the CD input straight to the preamp. "But what if that direct switch itself introduces the exact same sort of problem that the input selector knob is being accused of introducing?", one might ask. "Shut up. You need whatever gimmick we tell you you need!" replied the audio vendors.

Me? I'm waiting for "Ultra Pure SACD Direct Bypass PRO" which, not only bypasses the tonal balance, ch. trim, delay circuits, bass management, and illuminated indication that it is even engaged, not to mention the input selector, it even bypasses the preamp section entirely so your variable volume out SACD player, with its wonderful DACs, drives the power amp itself, without any "colorations" that the lowly, pedestrian hobbyists stupidly endure. "But what if the variable volume out circuit of the SACD player itself has the same distortions as the..." "SHUT UP AND JUST BUY IT ALREADY!"

I read this earlier today and cracked up laughing! I just re-read it again; still laughing out loud! zllch is in rare form...

#2,007 ·
Still wondering: does anyone have any experience pairing the new 7-channel Marantz MM8077 amplifier with the SR7005?

#2,008 ·
That would be a lot of money to spend for only a marginally more powerful, ie can play louder if need be, upgrade.

In continuous, all channel simultaneous output ,the SR7005 was measured by Home Theater magazine as:

"Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 91.2 watts

1% distortion at 112.1 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 74.6 watts

1% distortion at 89.6 watts"

and into 4 ohm [I think they mean stereo} "Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 200.1 watts and 1 percent distortion at 222.6 watts".

They measured the MM8077 as :

0.1% distortion at 113.9 watts

1% distortion at 125.4 watts

0.1% distortion at 108.9 watts

1% distortion at 116.8 watts"

into 4 ohm [stereo] "Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 220.2 watts and 1 percent distortion at 241.8 watts".

This is a trivial difference in loudness, barely even noticeable, on the order of 1 to 2 dB . You can experience it yourself by turning your existing volume knob up/down by 1 to 2 dB, depending on your exact circumstances. Is that worth $2400?

Separates don't automatically sound better than receivers. That's a pervasive myth spread by the high-end audio retail machine and the magazines which cater to them in exchange for advertising dollars, in their attempt to sell more profitable, generally higher margin goods, more typically sold in "protected markets".

There's nothing beyond this difference in power (which isn't all that big), such as the frequency response, ch. separation, noise, THD, or crosstalk that would suggest there would be any audible advantage in switching to the MM8077.

If you want better sound, change your source material, your room, your speaker placement, your speaker tilt/angle/toe-in/height, your rug/drapes/furniture/decor, your speakers,...

#2,009 ·
I don't agree a lot with m. zillch (although I always respect his opinion), but i have to agree with the above.

If you want to upgrade, you'll have to go the AV8801+MM8077 route which gives XT32 and separates for $5,000 (including the $1,000 combo discount). You should be able to get it for about 20% less if you shop around. Assuming you can sell your receiver for $500, you can get a AV8801+MM8077 combo for a $3,500 upgrade fee or purchase the amp itself for $2,000. $1,500 is a lot of money, but THAT would be a significant upgrade

#2,010 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/1980#post_23124923

That would be a lot of money to spend for only a marginally more powerful, ie can play louder if need be, upgrade.

In continuous, all channel simultaneous output ,the SR7005 was measured by Home Theater magazine as:

0.1% distortion at 91.2 watts

1% distortion at 112.1 watts

0.1% distortion at 74.6 watts

1% distortion at 89.6 watts"

and into 4 ohm [I think they mean stereo} "Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 200.1 watts and 1 percent distortion at 222.6 watts".

They measured the MM8077 as :

0.1% distortion at 113.9 watts

1% distortion at 125.4 watts

0.1% distortion at 108.9 watts

1% distortion at 116.8 watts"

into 4 ohm [stereo] "Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 220.2 watts and 1 percent distortion at 241.8 watts".

This is a trivial difference in loudness, barely even noticeable, on the order of 1 to 2 dB . You can experience it yourself by turning your existing volume knob up/down by 1 to 2 dB, depending on your exact circumstances. Is that worth $2400?

Separates don't automatically sound better than receivers. That's a pervasive myth spread by the high-end audio retail machine and the magazines which cater to them in exchange for advertising dollars, in their attempt to sell more profitable, generally higher margin goods, more typically sold in "protected markets".

There's nothing beyond this difference in power (which isn't all that big), such as the frequency response, ch. separation, noise, THD, or crosstalk that would suggest there would be any audible advantage in switching to the MM8077.

If you want better sound, change your source material, your room, your speaker placement, your speaker tilt/angle/toe-in/height, your rug/drapes/furniture/decor, your speakers,...

Thanks for your detailed answer, zillch; I appreciate the thoroughness of your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/1980#post_23125002

I don't agree a lot with m. zillch (although I always respect his opinion), but i have to agree with the above.

If you want to upgrade, you'll have to go the AV8801+MM8077 route which gives XT32 and separates for $5,000 (including the $1,000 combo discount). You should be able to get it for about 20% less if you shop around. Assuming you can sell your receiver for $500, you can get a AV8801+MM8077 combo for a $3,500 upgrade fee or purchase the amp itself for $2,000. $1,500 is a lot of money, but THAT would be a significant upgrade

I have been following the AV8801 thread for some time now. Would love to purchase the Marantz combo, but, quite frankly, it is out of my reach at this time. I was wondering about pairing the Marantz 7-channel amp with my current SR7005 as an interim upgrade until I could find the money later on for the new XT32-equipped AV8801. Thanks for you reply, too, exm. You and zillch have both given me food for thought.

#2,011 ·
Getting XT32 may indeed help your system.* I don't have a problem with that, but getting a Denon AVR4311 for $1600, or less, and selling the SR7005, or devoting it to another room, would be my approach. Still, speakers, their placement, the source recording, and the room make much bigger differences. I can't for the life of me figure out why so many in these forums buy one set of speakers per decade, yet they swap out their receivers/amps almost yearly. It makes no sense.

*Or it might not. I suspect it is room dependent: makes a difference for some rooms, makes no perceivable difference for others. I don't like how Audyssey is completely evasive when asked point blank what the specific incremental change is. All they will say is, "It is like 32 times better than another resolution we also refuse to disclose, regarding the absolute number of points of control, on the frequency and level axises" Not cool.

Can you imagine if a subwoofer company sold their subs by saying "The Super32 Thumpmaster goes down to deep frequencies that are half the size of the Regular Thumpmaster." It doesn't really tell you much, now does it?

#2,012 ·
Anyone have trouble 'Loading' a saved config. through the network to the SR7005?

I used Firefox to Save a config. after I had things setup, seems to have saved just fine...no error messages. Then just recently I tried resetting the unit as the manual says, hold Surr. Mode + Auto and press/release Pwr button. When I try loading the saved settings .dat file with Firefox it fails and says try again.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks!

#2,014 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/2000_100#post_23125531

*Or it might not. I suspect it is room dependent: makes a difference for some rooms, makes no perceivable difference for others. I don't like how Audyssey is completely evasive when asked point blank what the specific incremental change is. All they will say is, "It is like 32 times better than another resolution we also refuse to disclose, regarding the absolute number of points of control, on the frequency and level axises" Not cool.

Chris has mentioned before in the Audyssey thread that whereas MultEQ uses "dozens" of control points, and XT uses "hundreds" of control points, XT32 uses over 10, 000 control points.

#2,015 ·
"Dozens", "Hundreds" and "Some unspecified number larger than 10,000" does not give absolute values or increments. He is being evasive on purpose, if you ask me, even though I suspect he knows EXACTLY what these absolute values actually are, right off the top of his head.

As an example, for all we know XT and XT32 are exactly the same in terms of their frequency bandwidth resolution, however regarding the level axis, XT32 can make incremental adjustments of 1/32nd of a dB (.03 dB steps) whereas XT's much coarser resolution can only make adjustments in 1 dB increments. This wouldn't make any difference to a human's perception, but it could correctly be called "32 times more accurate with much better resolution" for marketing purposes.

#2,016 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/2010#post_23125947

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/2000_100#post_23125531

Chris has mentioned before in the Audyssey thread that whereas MultEQ uses "dozens" of control points, and XT uses "hundreds" of control points, XT32 uses over 10, 000 control points.

jdsmoothie, I am wondering if the Audyssey thread you are referring to is the same that is the link in your signature. If not: please provide a link for me; sounds like some potentially interesting reading in that thread. Thanks in advance!

#2,017 ·
Yes, indeed. The Official Audyssey thread is the largest thread on AVSForum. One of the more regular posters (kbarnes701) wrote the Audyssey 101/FAQ linked in my sig (a post within that thread) which is composed of answers to the 50 most asked Audyssey related questions in that thread. For several years the Audyssey Co-Founder Chris K. posted regularly in that thread but stopped a couple of years ago to focus on other commitments.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/0_100

#2,018 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/2010#post_23128735

Yes, indeed. The Official Audyssey thread is the largest thread on AVSForum. One of the more regular posters (kbarnes701) wrote the Audyssey 101/FAQ linked in my sig (a post within that thread) which is composed of answers to the 50 most asked Audyssey related questions in that thread. For several years the Audyssey Co-Founder Chris K. posted regularly in that thread but stopped a couple of years ago to focus on other commitments.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/0_100
:)Yummy!

I am sure I will enjoying the thread, jdsmoothie; thanks again for your assistance!

#2,019 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/2010#post_23125942

^^

Check to make sure the saved file isn't all zeroes.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E10

Thanks!

I checked the .dat that wouldn't load (in Notepad) and while I didn't see zeros, it was blank. Figured blank=zeros. Turned Network Standby to Off, left the AVR on, saved my freshly manually config'd settings w/ Firefox. That .dat wasn't blank. I did not try loading it, but I'm assuming it'll work. Unfortunately, if I leave Net. Standby Off and put the AVR in standby I can't get to it from Firefox. I just have to remember to turn it off (and check the .dat) next time I save a config.

#2,020 ·
Anybody using a oppo 105 with their 7005. If so please share what is the optimal hook up. I'm trying to use the DAC in the Oppo for CD's,( 2 channel ,2.1) Squeezbox touch(hooked into the oppo also 2.0,2.1), Apple TV ( also hooked into the Oppo, 5.1). I'd like to use the 7005 for processing DVD/3D/Blu Ray for 5.1 audio can this be done? Would I have to input the oppo into the multi channel blue ray via RCA L/R/C, L/R surrounds and sub then using Pure direct for 2.0 audio? What about 2.1 audio? Thanks in advance.

#2,024 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/2010#post_23153189

Using any configuration other than HDMI is generally not recommended as going multi channel analog or Direct/Pure Direct will disable Audyssey.

So why is thiis not recommended ? I'd like to use the Oppo DAC for music and marantz Audyessey for multi channel viewing.

#2,026 ·
I have an Oppo 95 and use the dedicated stereo output to the SR7005 CD on pure direct - sounds great. Also using HDMI bitstream for MC and Audussey - sounds great but a bit bright. I will be in the near future adding Blue Jeans LC-1s to test out the Oppo 7.1 out and setting the speaker trims with an SPL meter. All speakers "small" with 80Hz crossover. The Oppo DACs are suppose to be top notch, so we'll see if losing Audussey is worth it.

#2,027 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/2010#post_23153264

Yes, with HDMI and component video output.

But not at the same time, if that matters. If one has an active HDMI monitor turned on, the component out jacks will have no overlaid graphics [and as is typical, they never down convert from HDMI, they are sending through the component incoming signal only].

Also for the overlaid graphics to show volume changes, one must have these settings:

Master Volume: Top or Bottom

Video Convert: On

Pure Direct: Off