The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 83 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2461 of 2463 Old 09-26-2014, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sr7005 + Rega Fono issues - HALP!

Hi everyone...searched for anyone having this issue and didn't find anything so forgive me if I'm inadvertently asking a redundant question.

So here's the deal: I just purchased a Rega Fono MM to go along with my Technics 1200 mk2. However, once I get it going the sound is hugely distorted when the record is playing and when it's not, I hear a faint, pulsing hum in the speakers. I've check the interconnects...both sets (in & out) sound fine when connected directly. My TT is grounded to the sr7005.

So what am I missing? It's about the most simple device I own so I can see how I'm screwing it up but ya know how that goes.

I'm a noob at all this so any feedback from all you gurus out there would really help a girl out.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2463 Old 09-26-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The SR7005 already has a fairly decent phono preamp built in so this extra external phono preamp isn't needed. Can you return it for a refund?

Do phono preamps differ? Yes, a little, but not by much, and only by a small fraction of the amount that phono cartridges do, however by using external devices you are more susceptible to hum, hiss, and ground loops as the signal passes from one device to the next, especially with very weak signals like the tiny amount of electricity which is generated by the wiggling of your phono stylus.

Anyway, let's assume you can't return this thing and/or have been duped into thinking that "it makes a big improvement" as so many millions of other people have. You'll know that I'm right and they're wrong when on a whim you bypass this thing, using the phono stage already built in, connect the turntable plugs and ground to the back of the SR7005 directly, to the input called "phono" of course, and suddenly have none of the problems you are currently experiencing.

The correct signal path, if you insist on using the external phono stage, is to connect the turntable's ground wire to it, not to the Marantz, and then the output of that phono box goes to any unused input on the Marantz EXCEPT "phono".

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-27-2014 at 12:44 AM.
post #2463 of 2463 Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The SR7005 already has a fairly decent phono preamp built in so this extra external phono preamp isn't needed. Can you return it for a refund?

Do phono preamps differ? Yes, a little, but not by much, and only by a small fraction of the amount that phono cartridges do, however by using external devices you are more susceptible to hum, hiss, and ground loops as the signal passes from one device to the next, especially with very weak signals like the tiny amount of electricity which is generated by the wiggling of your phono stylus.

Anyway, let's assume you can't return this thing and/or have been duped into thinking that "it makes a big improvement" as so many millions of other people have. You'll know that I'm right and they're wrong when on a whim you bypass this thing, using the phono stage already built in, connect the turntable plugs and ground to the back of the SR7005 directly, to the input called "phono" of course, and suddenly have none of the problems you are currently experiencing.

The correct signal path, if you insist on using the external phono stage, is to connect the turntable's ground wire to it, not to the Marantz, and then the output of that phono box goes to any unused input on the Marantz EXCEPT "phono".

Well, I'm now forced to have a longer cable run than is optimal so I figured this would help. I've been running my TT directly to the phono stage of the sr7005 for a couple of years and even at shorter runs the sound is decent but I have to really crank up the dB's, obviously. The issue here is that my room configuration no longer allows the TT to sit close to the receiver.

Anyway, I'll try your suggestion of hooking it up to a different input to see if that takes care of the problem. I appreciate your feedback!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page