The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 86 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2551 of 2578 Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
^When we go to an Atmos equipped movie theater but watch a non-Atmos movie to they engage the extra ceiling speakers?
Not likely if they charge more for an Atmos movie.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2578 Old 03-08-2015, 03:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill View Post
I'm aware of the credit cards but in this case I got my entire system with the Best Buy credit card as they gave me a high credit limit with 0% interest financing if I made monthly payments for 18 months. I paid it off in 13. So with Best Buy there was no implied extra warranty. And also when I bought everything (speakers, blu-ray, tv, avr, etc..) the one thing the Magnolia Audio/Video rep didn't suggest was an extended warranty on the AVR because (and this made sense to me, so let me know what you think) is that an AVR has "NO" moving parts unlike a Blu-ray player which I did get the extended warranty. So Marantz' default 1yr warranty did come in handy but after that, I was on my own, and luckily up until now, it was all good.

Well hopefully Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach, CA will fix it right and I'll be back to normal watching my movies Thanks for the tip jdsmoothie.
The AVR came with a 3 year warranty from Marantz, although moot as you're outside of that time period. What more often goes bad on an AVR is the HDMI board (eg. Onkyo's troubles) which can cost upwards of $400-$500 to replace.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #2553 of 2578 Old 03-10-2015, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The AVR came with a 3 year warranty from Marantz, although moot as you're outside of that time period. What more often goes bad on an AVR is the HDMI board (eg. Onkyo's troubles) which can cost upwards of $400-$500 to replace.
Ah silly me! I thought it was just a default 1yr warranty! Well nothing happened from year 2 to 3. But after that then that's when all hell broke loose! Got a call from the repair shop and due to snow back east, the part was held but yes Marantz did have one in stock and it's being shipped so this week they'll get it from New Jersey. And it was the HDMI board. Total repair cost is $267 (but then got add the shipping to/from that I have to pay) but worth it.
post #2554 of 2578 Old 03-10-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Look how similar our avatars look!
Hey I just noticed that before and now that you mentioned, I wonder what your avatar mean? I'm sure you figured out mine is the Martin Logan speaker company logo as I was just drawn to them when I first saw them at someone's house and did research on them and I said to myself when I can afford a high-end entertainment system, I'm getting these type of speakers. I have the EM-ESL (baseline series).

Quote:
I actually think the advice that things with moving parts are more prone to early failure was a reasonable generalization however it is just a general tendency, not a rule.
So far the warranties on the other things I got

Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT30 (55" Plasma 3D HD) 4yrs
Oppo BDP-93 (4yrs)

I haven't had to put them to use so you're theory on the companies making money were spot on. But hey it's insurance and so far "knock on wood" my TV and Blu-ray have been flawless (same for my ML speakers which I didn't have warranty on those from Magnolia Audio/Video but I believe ML has their own.
post #2555 of 2578 Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 PM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just returned from driving my SR7005 97.5 miles north to a repair center in Huntington Beach from my home in San Diego, California. I am thinking the surround right channel died several days ago; I noticed there was no output coming from that channel day before yesterday evening. Yesterday morning I swapped the surround speakers in my 7.3 channel setup and determined that the speaker was not at fault. I used the remote to run test tones and confirmed there was indeed no output being emitted through my surround right channel. I called Marantz and reported the AVR malfunction, received a reference number and the address of the closest repair center, Adams Electronics, in Huntington Beach, California, a 1 hour-47 minute drive from my home.

It's hard to believe that I live in the eighth largest city in the US and the closest Marantz Warranty Repair Shop is nearly 100 miles away. But don't get me wrong; I am not complaining one little bit at all! I am VERY lucky I didn't discover the malfunction later than I did because I purchased the AVR on April 1, 2012. Timing is everything!

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup

Last edited by erhurd; 04-01-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #2556 of 2578 Old 04-01-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Glad your baby's hospital stay will be free of charge. Hope it goes smoothly.
erhurd likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #2557 of 2578 Old 04-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Thanks, Zillch! They indicated a two-week turnaround...

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #2558 of 2578 Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post
Just returned from driving my SR7005 97.5 miles north to a repair center in Huntington Beach from my home in San Diego, California. I am thinking the surround right channel died several days ago; I noticed there was no output coming from that channel day before yesterday evening. Yesterday morning I swapped the surround speakers in my 7.3 channel setup and determined that the speaker was not at fault. I used the remote to run test tones and confirmed there was indeed no output being emitted through my surround right channel. I called Marantz and reported the AVR malfunction, received a reference number and the address of the closest repair center, Adams Electronics, in Huntington Beach, California, a 1 hour-47 minute drive from my home.

It's hard to believe that I live in the eighth largest city in the US and the closest Marantz Warranty Repair Shop is nearly 100 miles away. But don't get me wrong; I am not complaining one little bit at all! I am VERY lucky I didn't discover the malfunction later than I did because I purchased the AVR on April 1, 2012. Timing is everything!
As a reminder, many credit cards will add a 4th year of warranty to the Marantz 3 year warranty.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2559 of 2578 Old 04-01-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Credit card extensions often have a lot of fine print and exemptions though [although they can work out fine, too]. I remember one that insisted you show that you were unable to use a repair center that could use refurbished parts before they'd be willing to spring for the manufacture's facilities. Sheesh! Anyway here are some details and phone numbers, by card:
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...nties-1273.php

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #2560 of 2578 Old 04-01-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:

Hey erhurd.....I feel your EXACT pain! I too just had my SR-7005 go bad (HDMI-1 ARC output channel, along with Front Left/Right Channels). Turns out it was the HDMI board. So where did I go to repair? Well the previously authorized repair shop in the metro-Phoenix area is just that..."previously authorized". So the nearest one? Yeah you got it....Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach (Orange County), Calif. And obviously I didn't drive but I did ship it ($60 my cost) and they charged me on shipping it back ($37) and repair cost was $267 to order and remove/replace the whole HDMI motherboard that they got shipped all the way from Marantz HQ in New Jersey.

So yes it's getting bad to find an authorized repair shop but hopefully this will last a while. I was out my unit for a month (time to ship to/from AZ to CA and the delay in getting the board due to weather conditions in NJ) so it was a bit frustrating, but finally it's working perfectly.

Great reviews/communication from Adam's Electronics, and the repair tech Steve was always in constant communication about what was wrong, what needed to be done, status of the item being shipped, etc... He even called on a Sunday while I was hiking the mountains here in Phoenix to give me a status update.

It turns out a few people here on these forums have experienced the same issues. I got my AVR in Dec of 2011 from Magnolia Audio/Video in Santa Monica, CA and the surround rear right channel went bad but luckily it was under warranty within the first year and luckily there was an authorized shop here in Phoenix. Let's hope this board lasts a long time.

Glad to hear it all worked out erhurd.
post #2561 of 2578 Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 AM
585-645-1006

^^
As just mentioned, if purchased from an authorized dealer with a credit card, your card may have very likely covered the repair/replacement of your SR7005 as you were still within the 4th year of purchase.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2562 of 2578 Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 AM

jdsmoothie, yes I am aware but I actually bought it with the Best Buy credit card instead of the typical Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. And that card doesn't have an extended warranty policy.
post #2563 of 2578 Old 04-02-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Hey erhurd.....I feel your EXACT pain! So the nearest one? Yeah you got it....Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach (Orange County), Calif.

Great reviews/communication from Adam's Electronics, and the repair tech Steve was always in constant communication about what was wrong, what needed to be done, status of the item being shipped, etc... He even called on a Sunday while I was hiking the mountains here in Phoenix to give me a status update.
Thanks for sharing your anecdote regarding your positive experience with Adams Electronics, jaramill; it is my hope to enjoy a smooth episode with them as well. I didn't have much time to do any extensive research into their reputation and business practices prior to my delivering my beloved AVR to them. Your brief review makes me feel much better about my decision to use that outfit to repair my equipment.

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup

Last edited by erhurd; 04-02-2015 at 07:05 PM.
post #2564 of 2578 Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
As a reminder, many credit cards will add a 4th year of warranty to the Marantz 3 year warranty.
Quote:
Credit card extensions often have a lot of fine print and exemptions though [although they can work out fine, too]. I remember one that insisted you show that you were unable to use a repair center that could use refurbished parts before they'd be willing to spring for the manufacture's facilities. Sheesh! Anyway here are some details and phone numbers, by card:
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...nties-1273.php
Quote:
^^
As just mentioned, if purchased from an authorized dealer with a credit card, your card may have very likely covered the repair/replacement of your SR7005 as you were still within the 4th year of purchase.
Quote:
jdsmoothie, yes I am aware but I actually bought it with the Best Buy credit card instead of the typical Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. And that card doesn't have an extended warranty policy.
For the first time I regret that I paid with cash instead of using my credit card…

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #2565 of 2578 Unread 04-21-2015, 02:04 PM

Has anyone had any experience with a factory warranty exchange scenario?

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #2566 of 2578 Unread 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The SR7005 comes with a 3 year warranty. If during that time the unit fails and is unable to be repaired, Marantz will generally replace with a refurbished unit of the same model number or something more current if that model is not available. The warranty on the refurbished unit would be whatever is remaining on the original 3 year warranty.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2567 of 2578 Unread 04-22-2015, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Well hopefully Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach, CA will fix it right and I'll be back to normal watching my movies Thanks for the tip jdsmoothie.
Did you take it into repair at Adam's? How was the service, price and turn around? I need to take mine in for (probably) a blown HDMI board, other than that the receiver's still kicking butt, just no HDMI.
post #2568 of 2578 Unread 04-23-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abricko View Post
Did you take it into repair at Adam's? How was the service, price and turn around? I need to take mine in for (probably) a blown HDMI board, other than that the receiver's still kicking butt, just no HDMI.
If you read further back a few posts, you'll see I had to ship it in, as I live out of state (Arizona) and there used to be authorized Marantz repair shop in Phoenix but he's no longer authorized, thus the closest one is Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach, CA. Service was great, price (minus cost of shipping to/from that you have to pay) was decent, and turn around was a bit longer for me, simply because a) I am out of state, and b) the HDMI board that I had to replace like you will too, had to be shipped from the factory and since Marantz is headquartered in NJ (east coast) that adds to the time. Add to the fact that I did this in March and weather delays due to snow made it longer. But in the end, I gave a positive review on this thread and it works perfectly. And yes same thing as you...blown HDMI board which is a simple remove & replace. They definitely keep you informed as to the status of your repair with phone calls which I appreciated.
post #2569 of 2578 Unread 04-24-2015, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome, I just saw that post. Glad to hear they do good work. Fortunately, I live about 12 miles from their shop, just got to find the time and figure out what to do in the meantime while they repair to have some kind of sound for my TV, suppose I could always use the built in speakers temporarily.

Considering the repair cost (which it's most likely the HDMI board) It's still tempting though to just buy a new AVR, I don't need more than 7.1 (2 extra channels for bi-amping the mains) So I could probably step down to the TOL 7.1 Marantz and then I'd have a new warranty to boot.

Thanks again for the affirmation of Adam's though.

Cheers.

Quote:
If you read further back a few posts, you'll see I had to ship it in, as I live out of state (Arizona) and there used to be authorized Marantz repair shop in Phoenix but he's no longer authorized, thus the closest one is Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach, CA. Service was great, price (minus cost of shipping to/from that you have to pay) was decent, and turn around was a bit longer for me, simply because a) I am out of state, and b) the HDMI board that I had to replace like you will too, had to be shipped from the factory and since Marantz is headquartered in NJ (east coast) that adds to the time. Add to the fact that I did this in March and weather delays due to snow made it longer. But in the end, I gave a positive review on this thread and it works perfectly. And yes same thing as you...blown HDMI board which is a simple remove & replace. They definitely keep you informed as to the status of your repair with phone calls which I appreciated.
post #2570 of 2578 Unread 04-24-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to work in the repair industry so I know it well. Repair technicians get paid based on the number of units they repair, it is their bread and butter, so here's something you will almost never hear from them: "Ya know, that was a fine receiver in its day, however the prices have come down over recent years, for the same feature set, so considering the work I'd do would only have a 90 day warranty, and that's only on what I've repaired, not the whole receiver, you might be better served by just buying a whole new receiver that's probably even less money yet slightly better than the old one, plus you'll be getting a brand new, full warranty."

Instead, this is what you will often hear from them: "Oh yes, that Denon unit you have was a stand out value with top performance in its class. It's a keeper."
Customer: "It's a Marantz, not a Denon."
Technician: "Oh yes, that's what I meant. Marantz. An outstanding unit. They don't make them like they used to. That's worth holding on to."
erhurd likes this.

post #2571 of 2578 Unread Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Quote:
^^
The SR7005 comes with a 3 year warranty. If during that time the unit fails and is unable to be repaired, Marantz will generally replace with a refurbished unit of the same model number or something more current if that model is not available. The warranty on the refurbished unit would be whatever is remaining on the original 3 year warranty.
The board I needed for the repair was not available so they shipped a factory-refurbished AVR to my home. As I checked the unit into the repair center three years to the date of my purchase, I feel that Marantz gave me a good deal with a one-year warranty coming with the replacement AVR.

I received the SR7005 on Tuesday this past week and everything is reinstalled and set up to my normal, preferred mode(s) of operation.

The AVR has been sounding better with each passing day, but, I am also a very "visual" guy. The exterior case on the replacement appears dull and slightly drab compared the unit I purchased new at Magnolia on April 1, 2012. This is a small complaint in lieu of the fact that I have a full year of additional coverage.

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup

Last edited by erhurd; Yesterday at 02:20 PM.
post #2572 of 2578 Unread Yesterday, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abricko View Post
Awesome, I just saw that post. Glad to hear they do good work. Fortunately, I live about 12 miles from their shop, just got to find the time and figure out what to do in the meantime while they repair to have some kind of sound for my TV, suppose I could always use the built in speakers temporarily.

Considering the repair cost (which it's most likely the HDMI board) It's still tempting though to just buy a new AVR, I don't need more than 7.1 (2 extra channels for bi-amping the mains) So I could probably step down to the TOL 7.1 Marantz and then I'd have a new warranty to boot.

Thanks again for the affirmation of Adam's though.

Cheers.
No problem abricko. Since I live in an apartment, and I bought this in late 2011, before even ATMOS existed on any Marantz models, I feel like the price I paid for this repair out of pocket (not counting shipping) was small ($267). It's just over 3 years and I've had to repair it twice (once under warranty and just now out of warranty). If another repair is "warranted" (no pun intended), then I may think about how much I want to throw at this receiver before it becomes cost-INeffective and just get a new one that will definitely have the bells & whistles (including ATMOS). Now I would just need a house instead of apt to have at least 7+ speakers!

Quote:
I received the SR7005 on Tuesday this past week and everything is reinstalled and set up to my normal, preferred mode(s) of operation.

The AVR has been sounding better with each passing day, but, I am also a very "visual" guy. The exterior case on the replacement appears dull and slightly drab compared the unit I purchased new at Magnolia on April 1, 2012. This is a small complaint in lieu of the fact that I have a full year of additional coverage.
Was wondering about your repair, and glad to see you got a refurbished one. Mine sits in a cabinet so other than seeing the lights through the cabinet class, the appearance doesn't matter but I do like the black finish being shiny and all, so I can understand your concern, but as long as it works that's what matters. Congrats on getting it repaired.
erhurd likes this.

Last edited by jaramill; Yesterday at 07:04 PM. Reason: Remove bolding
post #2573 of 2578 Unread Today, 11:54 AM

Since receiving my warranty replacement SR7005 I have noticed a difference in the the design in the Audyssey calibration microphones. The mike on the left is the leftover from my original AVR; the mike on the right is the newer one which arrived in the box with my replacement AVR. I have already ran a full 8-point calibration a couple of times since integrating the replacement unit into my system (with the calibration mike that came with it) and I am satisfied with the results thus far. But, out of curiosity, I am wondering if one microphone may yield superior results over the other. Anyone have any experience using both designs?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	erh_HT_114.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	687049  

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #2574 of 2578 Unread Today, 11:57 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Never seen that add on before .. most likely an after-market addition.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2575 of 2578 Unread Today, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure the mics are identical and should yield fairly equivalent results, providing you place them precisely, to the millimeter, in the same location between comparitive runs.

The black thing on the receiving end can be snapped on/off at will and is called a ferrite choke. They remove certain kinds of noise, for instance if your room uses florescent tube lights [rare for home lighting] they can generate an electrical field which the mic cord picks up, or might pick up, as buzz or static and the choke helps block that from entering the receiver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

These things are so cheap that makers sometimes throw them on, just in case, at least when on the batch they order that month , the vendor has them as a option they figure they might as well spring for.
erhurd likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; Today at 05:43 PM.
post #2576 of 2578 Unread Today, 05:43 PM

^
Thanks for your explanation and the link, Zillch!

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup

Last edited by erhurd; Today at 05:48 PM.
post #2577 of 2578 Unread Today, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. Glad you are back up and running and have an extra year of coverage.

post #2578 of 2578 Unread Today, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I would agree that the new mic is OK to use but I did find that the mic from my previous Pre Pre amp from Marantz didn't work with my Marantz 8801
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page