What AV receiver has the best reputation for the best video processing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a search and found this question asked, but the last time it was asked was over a year ago . I am hoping for more updated information.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Well, my Z7 scored perfectly on the HQV benchmark using the ABT chip. Some of the new Yamaha Aventage line are now using an HQV chip. I don't know much about it, but I would assume it's one of the top processors.

I suspect it will make little difference though, as the ABT made little difference in my system. I guess it depends on your TV though.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
In my humble testing:

Best out there to date in my opinion is the Marvell chip in the Pioneer 1120. Then Denons with ABT 2010/2015, then Onkyo's Reon HQV in higher end, then lower Denons and Pioneers with lower ABT, then Farjouda in Harman Kardon (can't explain why it's better than the next), then Farjouda in lower end Onkyos and others.

that said, your tv might have better native video processing than all of these. don't over-estimate the power even a good video processor has. it's not alchemy.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
The soon to be released Yamaha HX-A2000 and HX-A3000 will incorporate the new HQV Vida chip which is advertised as providing near HD quality upscaling.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 08-21-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

What source and display device are you guys using?

Why do you WANT video processing?

The best receivers are the ones where you can disable all video processing

I have a ps3 slim that upscales regular dvd's better than my 3D TV, so I use that for upscaling and disable all processing on my AVR.

And I definitely do not want my blu-ray movies touched in any way by my AVR.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva View Post

I have an older Samsung LCD, a PS3, and a (non-upscaling) Panasonic DVD player. I do not have an upscaling receiver. When I play DVDs with the PS3 the picture quality is MUCH better than it is with the Panasonic (where the Panasonic is almost unwatchably bad due to poor upscaling in the TV). I can definitely say that there are readily available device combinations where an AVR with good video processing is desirable (sure, in many cases you could just replace the source device or the display, but that's not a universal solution the way an AVR with good video processing is).
Old 08-21-2010, 10:50 AM

No question that the best AVRs have the ability to turn off any processing for an individual source.

For my money, the Marvell chipset used by the Pioneer SC-35/37, VSX-32/33, and VSX-1120 is the best you'll find. After that come several iterations of Anchor Bay chipsets, most of which are very good, some of which are excellent. Faroudja is simply not in the league of anything produced by ABT or Marvell.

I would agree that most Blu-ray players should have no processing on BD content. However, for upscaling standard DVD, a Marvell or ABT based AVR will do a much better job than a number of Blu-ray players (PS3 included). Ideally you would want to be able to control turning conversion on or off on a source fairly easily (not three menus deep). Then again, if you have a Blu-ray player that already has top flight upconversion (for example an Oppo), that's a non-issue.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 AM

My Panny S1 plasma does a better job than the Faroudja in my Onkyo 1007. Not sure how it compares to the better solutions out there. I'm guessing it's close.

Regards,
Brian
Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva View Post

The best receivers are the ones where you can disable all video processing

I have a ps3 slim that upscales regular dvd's better than my 3D TV, so I use that for upscaling and disable all processing on my AVR.

And I definitely do not want my blu-ray movies touched in any way by my AVR.

I have a projector putting an image on a very large screen. The projector works great in almost all areas, but when it meets a television signal it can, at times, falter. On a smaller screen it probably would not be noticeable, but when an image gets over 100 inches, the imperfections become more apparent.

It is only a partial truth that "the best receivers are the ones where you can disable all video processing". I agree with you that the PS3 does a great job of processing video, but you cannot send other video sources through it, so if my projector cannot handle television as well as I would like, then the glowing reviews of the PS3's video processing become partly irrelevant. There are some sources for which I would want to be able to disable the processing, but there are others that improved processing would be helpful - hence the original question.

I hope this answers your question.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM

I purchased the Pioneer VSX-1120-k with Marvell Chipset. I do not get upscale at all on anything. I think I got a defective receiver.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolarrow View Post

I purchased the Pioneer VSX-1120-k with Marvell Chipset. I do not get upscale at all on anything. I think I got a defective receiver.

User error perhaps?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolarrow View Post

The difference may not be noticable as most television's scaling will be just as good as a receiver at this price point IMO. Buying a receiver based on video processing makes little sense to me.

Mark
Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soapbox Kid View Post

No question that the best AVRs have the ability to turn off any processing for an individual source.

For my money, the Marvell chipset used by the Pioneer SC-35/37, VSX-32/33, and VSX-1120 is the best you'll find. After that come several iterations of Anchor Bay chipsets, most of which are very good, some of which are excellent. Faroudja is simply not in the league of anything produced by ABT or Marvell.

I would agree that most Blu-ray players should have no processing on BD content. However, for upscaling standard DVD, a Marvell or ABT based AVR will do a much better job than a number of Blu-ray players (PS3 included). Ideally you would want to be able to control turning conversion on or off on a source fairly easily (not three menus deep). Then again, if you have a Blu-ray player that already has top flight upconversion (for example an Oppo), that's a non-issue.

Is the Marvell still considered the best, or very good?

We just got a Pioneer ELITE VSX-33, and connect the PS3's HDMI to it, and on through to our Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR4, and I swear regular DVDs (upconverted to 1080p by the PS3, and then put through the Marvell Qdeo process) look almost as good as Blu-rays!

I mean, with the VSX-33's video processing, regular DVDs look pretty fantastic!

Am I crazy?!?

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

NEW Sony KDL-40XBR4 Optimized Settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5245
Old 02-20-2011, 03:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
DVDs can look almost as good as HD movies without processing. Might depend on the screen size and viewing distance.

I have some movies in HD and non HD and can compare them directly on a near frame by frame basis. There's more detail in the HD version, but it's not dramatic in my experience. Will depend on how good the transfer is I think.

Just remember, near HD is kind of a lie, because NOTHING in the processing can add resolution. Best you can do is to properly deinterlace, do a good job of scaling (which IMO, any chip now should do,) and with a very high chip, perhaps apply some needed noise reduction (which I don't think is needed for DVD as a source.)

"But this one goes up to 11"