Denon AVR-591 and Xbox 360 in stereo mode popping - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Denon AVR-591 receiver. I like the sound but I'm having a problem with my Xbox 360 when I set my Xbox 360 to Digital Stereo mode. The problem is that I will get a pop sound out of my speakers whenever I go to different words in the Xbox 360 Dashboard. It happens if I don't do anything for about 3 seconds and then scroll to a different word.

Setting the Xbox 360 to Dolby Digital gets rid of that popping sound. Also setting my receiver to PCM instead of Auto when running Xbox 360 in Digital Stereo mode gets rid of the popping but then it will always be in stereo no matter what the sound source.

I tried the LR stereo audio connections on the receiver, different HDMI ports, and I tried headphones but still get the same popping sound in Digital Stereo mode with the receiver on Auto. So it's definitely not my speakers.

Anyone here have the same receiver and experience the same popping sound I'm talking about when setting Xbox 360 to Digital Stereo mode with the Receiver's decode mode on Auto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
You'd be better served posting in the 591 Owner's Thread.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3000 View Post

I'm having a problem with my Xbox 360 when I set my Xbox 360 to Digital Stereo mode. The problem is that I will get a pop sound out of my speakers

Hi Dave3000,
I have the exact same problem as you, and I also have a Denon AVR (mine is an AVR-1906 from the UK ). Since we both have Denon AVR's, its most likely to just be a simple compatibility issue, which is a relief, although it still sucks.

I don't know a solution yet, other than what you said, but if I find out I'll let you know.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM

Having the exact same problem, too. Changing the input mode from AUTO to PCM seemed to fix it, but I'm not sure if this is a great long-term solution. Maybe this will mess up movies?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-04-2011, 09:53 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Keep in mind with the "Decode Mode" set to PCM, the AVR will not be able to decode DTS audio at all. Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 70) instead and see if that resolves the issue. Otherwise, you may want to consider repair and/or firmware update via an authorized repair facility.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 AM

Resetting the microprocessor didn't work. Looks like I may need to either take this in or get a replacement.

Edit: Or set the 360 to Dolby Digital 5.1, which seems to fix it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page