Please Help Me Choose a New AV Receiver $300-$800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I was fortunate enough to get a great deal on a new and really nice home audio setup through a friend who works for a custom home audio shop and am currently using a old sony receiver from a HTIB which needs to go! I decided to go with only 5.1 since my living area in my current house isn't huge but want to get a receiver to accomodate my next larger home as well so probably a 7.1 or 9.1 but also looking for reccomendations on that front. A few things I specifically need (or think I need) in this receiver are:

-HDMI 1.4 to support 3D in the future (Is there an HDMI 2.0 coming out soon)

-Ability to upconvert analong/digital to 1080p (Not sure if I need analog upconvert, what would I need analog upconvert for?)

-At least 4 HDMI input & at least 1 HDMI output (What real life application would 2 HDMI out server, do I need 2?)

-I have the idea that I need at least 100W/channel (Do I? Also I have noticed Harman Kardon's seem to be very low in wattage for the price, what is the reason for that?)

-Ability for 2 or possibly 3 zones (Are three zones needed? Is it possible to control the volume in zone 2 independently from zone 1? Right now I am thinking zone 1 for living, zone 2 for outdoor, and zone 3 maybe a master bedroom soundbar?)

-Ability for receiver to control the volume so loud action or commercials aren't so loud it requires a manual volume reduction

-Faroudja scaling or an equivalent (Not even really sure what this does but I think it is important! lol)

-HD Radio on board would be nice

-Ipod Control

-Bluetooth Connection (Is there any useful purpose to have this feature?)

-Ethernet/Wireless for streaming Pandora and Radion Internet (Do receivers offer a wireless connection is an adapter required?)

-Possibly stream music/pictures/videos from the home computer?

-An auto calibration mic system of some sort (To auto setup the best sound with where the speakers are placed)

Thanks to all of you who take the time out of your busy day to help me out. Please feel free to ask me a question about anything I wrote that doesn't make sense. All suggestions are greatly appreciated including features you think I need that I didn't list and even features I listed that you don't think are needed.

My wife and I just got married and bought a new home and I am really excited to complete my new home audio setup! The receiver I have isn't too terrible but it doesn't have HDMI or enought power to make the speakers come alive. I can get by on this receiver for a while if I have to; so if there is a new game changing technology that is set to come out in the next year or so I would be more than happy to wait. With just getting married I am still learning this whole, 'I have to okay it with someone else before making a purchase thing', but If there is just an amazing difference between a receiver a little more than the $800 I'm sure I can do some sweet talking

Also, I attahced the model and spec link for all of the speakers I have purchased and installed in my new setup for reference:

Center Channel: http://www.solusspeakers.com/sc-626.htm

Fronts: http://www.solusspeakers.com/sr-8.htm

Rears: http://www.solusspeakers.com/sr-c8dvc.htm

Sub: http://www.solusspeakers.com/SC%20Richter-12.htm

Outdoor: http://www.solusspeakers.com/i-o_6.htm

Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 AM

Do yourself a favor and seriously consider Denon's recent releases. I just hooked up a 2311ci last night and I'm floored!
This receiver can be had in most places for almost $300.00 less than retail which puts right in the middle of your range. (feel free to pm me for price info.)

I bought the receiver with all of the same considerations you listed. Also, thanks to avs member BATPIG and his website, there is more information about about how to get the most out of denon receivers than I have seen with any other brand.

On a side note aside from some convenience issues and minor power increases, the quality of audio is very similar if not the same from one denon to the next until you step up to the 1500.00+

I bought the 2311ci over the much less expensive 9311 due to 3 main factors:
1- a slight power bump
2- custom installation and automation potential (including the ability to install firmware updates at home)
3- on screen GUI overlay via hdmi

Take a look at the 2311ci / 9311 owners thread for more info.

I have the Panasonic P50VT25 and the Denon handles the 3D signal perfectly with this set.

As a non reference level user, I'm sure I would have been happy with the pioneer 1120 which was my second choice, but after setting up the Denon, which takes all of 10 minutes, I couldn't be happier.

On a side note audessy is amazing regardless of what receiver you get. For years I've been suffering through mediocre bass and separation from my old setup- constantly tweaking from one source to the next etc... After a 10 minute Audessy calibration I put in the opening scene to The Dark Night and nearly pissed myself.

Good luck on your search.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How many of these threads are started every day?

I own both the Denon AVR891 (almost identical to 2311) and Pioneer VSX-1120 and actually paid less for the Denon. That said, if I had to choose between the two, I would in a hearbeat choose the Pioneer:
- better video scaling
- more configurable (notably Wide speakers)
- more efficient/runs cooler
- learning and backlit remote
- internet streaming
- pre-outs
- 5.1 channel inputs
- front mounted hdmi port (both still have six)

The two actually sound very similar at the end of the day once callibrated.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 AM

By the way, everyone of your specific questions is answered all over these forums.
Because of this, I'm not sure you'll have much luck with those specific answers so take a look around and you'll have more than enough information to make an educated decision. (short of listening to the receivers in person of course)

good luck!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM

At this point in the year (early in the 2010 model year), there are really good deals available on 2009 models -- the savings might allow you to step up a level or two (more power/features) from the equivalent 2010 models.

You may need to give up one or two features, particularly bluetooth and 3D, but most of the other features were available in 2009.

Buying for the future is a nice idea (3D), but for most electronics below $1000, it is often cheaper to buy something new when the future comes. Of course if you are planning to buy a 3D TV this year, ignore all of this.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the help guys! I think I am down to the Pioneer VSX-1120-K and Denon 3311. The least expensive I could find the Pioneer was $500 and the least I found the Denon was $850 which is obviously significantly more expensive. I have spent many hours looking though AVS threads and as well as the manufacturer websites and can't seem to find many differences which I can find significant. Obviously there is a wattage difference, 110 Pioneer vs 125 Denon. Do you think these wattage ratings are both true? It also looks like the Denon does HD radio and I can't confirm the Pioneer does? Denon does 3 room/3 source audio output with video for the 2nd room, but I can't seem to figure out the Pioneer specs for that feature? What are your recommendations between the two guys?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 AM
emf

Liked: 11
Didn't think you could find Pioneer 1120 at that price at this time. Probably 499 as we go into the holiday season.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

I think I just missed $499 on newegg.com a few days ago. Any suggestions between the two?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfan_adam View Post

I think I just missed $499 on newegg.com a few days ago. Any suggestions between the two?

wait till sat or call newegg
Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The 3311 is a very nice receiver, but do you really need HD Radio and two HDMI outputs? Are those options worth $350 to you? If so, then the 3311 would be a good choice.

If those options are not important to you, then the Pio 1120k is probably the very best alternative, with many people describing it as "the buy of the year" or "the one to beat" in the mid-range market.

Btw, I love my 1120k...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Obviously there is a wattage difference, 110 Pioneer vs 125 Denon. Do you think these wattage ratings are both true?

One thing you can do is to compare the weight of the two receivers. More power generally means a heavier box. Not always true, but I'd be suspicious of a 15lb receiver claiming to be more powerful than a 40lb one.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The seem to weigh about the same 26.9 lb vs 28.7 lb.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbrane View Post

.... the quality of audio is very similar if not the same from one denon to the next until you step up to the 1500.00+

Although this was true for last year's models, with the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT and Audyssey DSX (height/wide) now being offered in the 3311/991, the next step up would be from the 2311/990 to the 3311/991.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

@Winston

Is newegg offering the same deal this weekend?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Just a general AVS forum question. Is there a way to quickly get back to posts you have made or threads you have started when you are looking for a possible answer from a member? Other than trying to remember the topic of each you have contributed to?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Just a general AVS forum question. Is there a way to quickly get back to posts you have made or threads you have started when you are looking for a possible answer from a member? Other than trying to remember the topic of each you have contributed to?

Thanks

You can do advanced search, and search user name for your user name to find posts you have made.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:

Thanks

When you're in a thread, you can click on the person's name (or your own) and then click on the option to "Find more posts by ......" which will bring up the last 496 posts that person made including the thread name of those posts made in other threads. You can click on any of those posts and go immediately to that thread the post was made in. In your case it's easy as you've only made 12.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Or, you could simply subscribe to the threads you're interested in. You may even be able to set it to auto-subscribe to every thread you post in. Then, you simply go to your personal subscriptions section to read all of them...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 PM

I have always had issues with this. Out of all the forums I have ever posted to or read, this was by far the worst when it came to tracking posts by a specific user or posts that you have posted. It should be as simple as logging in and clicking on a your posts link.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longball07 View Post

I have always had issues with this. Out of all the forums I have ever posted to or read, this was by far the worst when it came to tracking posts by a specific user or posts that you have posted. It should be as simple as logging in and clicking on a your posts link.

I agree that would make much more sense and also be easier. But I think the ways described above will work okay. Thanks guys!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although this was true for last year's models, with the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT and Audyssey DSX (height/wide) now being offered in the 3311/991, the next step up would be from the 2311/990 to the 3311/991.

Thanks!
I stand corrected.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 AM

Liked: 30
Estefan, why not consider a marantz 5xxx 6xxx 7xxx? audyssey multeq, preouts, backlit remote, check them out.