Onkyo TX-SR608 or HK AVR2600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read about these receivers but have never seen them head to head. I can get the Harman Kardon for about $50 more than the Onkyo, so here I am sitting on the fence. Full size speakers are on the way--I'm keeping my eyes and ears open. All my sources are HDMI (3D is also a must - I am aware of HK's firmware update), so I'm only worried about good old sound quality. So, which is the better of the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I would wait on the 2600 and see if HK can deliver on the 3D firmware. I like HK products but I've seen them muff a few firmware updates then drag their feet to make it work.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 7 Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I would wait on the 2600 and see if HK can deliver on the 3D firmware. I like HK products but I've seen them muff a few firmware updates then drag their feet to make it work.

HK has already posted the S/W update to HDMI 1.4a for the 2600...
Here is the link..

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...x?PID=AVR+2600

Just my $0.02...
post #4 of 7 Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm not concerned about the 3D since both receivers have it. I just want to know which receiver pumps out better sound, the HK or the Onk? My use for the receivers is roughly 75% sports/hd cable, 25% bluray.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm hijacking my own thread, but for a home theatre newbie like me, is the onkyo ht-s9300thx "integrated system" (not htib) a good choice? I'm asking because I can get an awesome deal on one, making it far cheaper than the separates route.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 PM

I did a bunch of research on this similar topic and went with he HK 2600. I have a onkyo tx-sr606 and am plagued with problems. The hdmi tuner on it went and the HK2600 should be here Wednesday to replace it. But basically I am done with onkyo until they support their products better. Search these forums for onkyo problems and how their customer service handles issues and you will see what I am talking about.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-29-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
For anyone concerned with bad customer service Onkyo is not the best brand to buy. I did have problems with one Onkyo product - the SC885 I had coughed up a video chip. This was day 31 of the warranty and although they could have had me send it in for repairs instead they sent me a prepaid shipping label for return. Once they got that a replacement was sent out - turnaround was very fast. Total time on the phone was ~10 minutes. Unusual? By what I've read - yes.

HK has great customer service. I've had to use it twice in over 10 years of buying various products from them for myself and friends and family. Both times I ended up with better than I started with. I had a 247 AVR that wasn't working properly. Instead of having to send it in for repairs they wanted to swap it out. When it arrived they had no 247 to send back to me so they sent out a 254 - a better AVR by any stretch. The other time was for a PS212 sub I bought from them off ebay refurbished. Once again they had no refurbed PS212 to send me - so they decided to send a brand new one direct from their Northridge Ca warehouse. While their past AVRs like the 247/347 and 254/354 aren't what they could be they do stand behind their products. If you continue to have problems they often send out a newer model as replacement.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page