Onkyo TX-NR1007 two bad out of the box go for three? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I have had two bad refirbs out of the box with the Onkyo 1007. I am going to use the receiver as a pre-pro and I really liked the feature rich 1007 and the price was great but I am not sure I want to go down this road a third time.

I have a 5.1 set-up and as I said I really don't care much about the amp portion of the equation as I have a nice Sherbourn amp I will be coupling the receiver with so I need a receiver or pre-pro with pre-outs.

I listen to allot of SACD's so DSD over HDMI is important to me. I have set a budget of 100.00 or less.

I want full room correction and it must decode all the lossless formats.

Any suggestions out there on what I could swtich gears to versus getting yet another Onkyo Tx-NR1007 send to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post

Well I have had two bad refirbs out of the box with the Onkyo 1007. I am going to use the receiver as a pre-pro and I really liked the feature rich 1007 and the price was great but I am not sure I want to go down this road a third time.

I have a 5.1 set-up and as I said I really don't care much about the amp portion of the equation as I have a nice Sherbourn amp I will be coupling the receiver with so I need a receiver or pre-pro with pre-outs.

I listen to allot of SACD's so DSD over HDMI is important to me. I have set a budget of 100.00 or less.

I want full room correction and it must decode all the lossless formats.

Any suggestions out there on what I could swtich gears to versus getting yet another Onkyo Tx-NR1007 send to me?

$100 or less??? you got some splaining to do lucy.

maybe bump up to the 3007? are you tied into a certain dealer?

Tim
post #3 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I ordered a refurbished 3007. It one of the amps blew after 2 weeks. Returned it, ordered another one, and that came DOA. I got frustrated with Onkyo's lack of quality control and went with a Pioneer Elite SC-35. I honestly think the Sound Quality on the 3007 was a little better than the Pioneer. The Pioneer is a ton cooler than the Onkyo was, and the ability to control it with the iPhone is actually a really nice feature. I ended up losing out on about $150 dollars in shipping charges with the Onkyo fiasco and I will stay away from them forever.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

$100 or less??? you got some splaining to do lucy.

maybe bump up to the 3007? are you tied into a certain dealer?

Oops I meant 1000.00!

acessories4less is who I am dealer with. Onkyo and Marantz but they will give me a refund should I opt to move on.

I was thinking about the 3007

Anyone else...
post #5 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Liked: 15
Stop buying those garbage refurbs and just buy a brand new 1007 or 3007. Or a brand new 1008.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

Stop buying those garbage refurbs and just buy a brand new 1007 or 3007. Or a brand new 1008.

+1. Refurbs are an absolute crap shoot. For every good experience there's a bad one.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Hello,
I really have not found most Onkyo B-Stocks to be garbage. I literally know at least a dozen people who have purchased Refurb Onkyo's from AC4L with no problems whatsoever.

Also, some B-Stocks are actually discontinued A-Stock Models. This came up with the PR-SC885/6 where many were positive they received A-Stock.

All AVR Models have failures. It is surprising to have 2 1007's fail in such a short time. I really think that is more the exception than the rule.
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #8 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyPoor View Post

+1. Refurbs are an absolute crap shoot. For every good experience there's a bad one.

I buy everything new. You just dont know how bad someone else might have abused it. To me refurbished means that there was probably something wrong in the first place.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Minge,

There is no reason to take a third gamble on another defective refurb when there are new options out there for under $1,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-NR1007-...item2eae0f631f

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR100...3485891&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR100...3485925&sr=1-1
post #10 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

I buy everything new. You just dont know how bad someone else might have abused it. To me refurbished means that there was probably something wrong in the first place.

Exactly. It either works or you have to go through the trouble of mailing back a 50+lb paperweight within a short warranty period. No thanks. Definitely not worth the gamble just to save a hundred bucks in my opinion.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyPoor View Post

Yep. My opinion is why gamble on possibly losing out on $1,000 just to save $100. Better to just take the hit initially and buy new if possible.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep. My opinion is why gamble on possibly losing out on $1,000 just to save $100. Better to just take the hit initially and buy new if possible.

^^^

The saving is substantial allot more then 100.00 bucks. The shipping is cover and the warranty is 30 days to exchange or return and one year from Onkyo past that.

I have purchased three other receivers in the past from accessories 4 less with no problem they have been bullet proof. This time around it has been a disaster. It is more a reflection on Onkyo's quality control then anything else from my point of view.

I just don't know where to go from here. I would really like to find a deal on an Integra pre-amp..
post #13 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:

^^^

The saving is substantial allot more then 100.00 bucks.

How so? The first link I posted for you shows an 1007 that is brand new and only $50 more than the 1007 refurb at accessories for less. Did you even look at the links I posted?
post #14 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The B-Stock Warranty with Onkyo is 1 Year. That is better than buying a Brand New 1007 from Ebay that has no Warranty whatsoever. Moreover, you can add an Extended Warranty from Shop Onkyo on B-Stock Units upping the Warranty to 3 Years. This cannot be done when purchasing an A-Stock on Ebay from someone who is not an Authorized Dealer.

Moreover, there are Onkyo Service Centers all over the Country. In the event that Service is needed, many can simply drop off their AVR at a Service Center rather than Shipping it off.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #15 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Why don't you look into a new Onkyo 876 from accessories4less. It should make a great pre-pro. Has everything you need with the exception of networking. Great AVR IMO. I'm biased though because I have one.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Like others have said, the problem is with Onkyo. Onkyo has a lot of issues with new receivers too. I used to like Onkyo a lot, but in the past few years their quality has collapsed.

My advice is to get something non-Onkyo.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

How so? The first link I posted for you shows an 1007 that is brand new and only $50 more than the 1007 refurb at accessories for less. Did you even look at the links I posted?

Not sure where you are coming up with the pricing...Fleebay is a non-starter and the price is not 50.00 bucks more.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you are coming up with the pricing...Fleebay is a non-starter and the price is not 50.00 bucks more.

You do what you feel is best for you. But I should warn you of this. Guys around here always talk as if a warranty with Onkyo is a sure fire thing where you can simply drop off a damaged onkyo unit and they will have you up and running in a few weeks.

The people that I have observed sending in units for repair under Onkyo's warranty plans often have had much different experiences from what I've observed over the years here. So go refurb if you want. I just hope you can deal with the non customer service and headaches should you have to cash in that onkyo warranty after the 30 day return period is up.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You do what you feel is best for your. But I should warn you of this. Guys around her always talk as if a warranty with Onkyo is a sure fire thing where you can simply drop off a damaged onkyo unit and they will have you back and up running in a few weeks.

The people that have actually sent units in for warranty service under Onkyo's warranty plans often have much different experience from what I've observed over the years here. So go refurb if you want. I just hope you can deal with the non customer service and headaches should you have to cash in that onkyo warranty after the 30 day return period is up.

^^^

I could not agree with you more...You are 100% correct and it is a real concern...I am not sure what to do now.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page