The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 100 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2971 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by merk54 View Post
I just got off the phone with Denon support regarding the blue rain issue. The woman I spoke to said she had never heard of this problem. After putting me on hold for quite a while, she told me to reset my processor, and if that didn't solve the problem, return the unit for a replacement, or send it in for service.

Has anyone with the blue rain issue tried resetting the processor? Just wondering if this is a complete waste of time, or worth trying before I pack it up and return it to Abt.
Hi, I have done so multiple times on my unit without any effect on the problem, then again it's very simple to do so why not try it if you're packing it up, your settings will be gone anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by merk54
I just got off the phone with Denon support regarding the blue rain issue. The woman I spoke to said she had never heard of this problem. After putting me on hold for quite a while, she told me to reset my processor, and if that didn't solve the problem, return the unit for a replacement, or send it in for service.

Has anyone with the blue rain issue tried resetting the processor? Just wondering if this is a complete waste of time, or worth trying before I pack it up and return it to Abt.
You can reset and I think some with this issue already did. Try it but don't bet on this fixing the issue. You should always reset if something really bad happens. This means you 'll have to reEQ and reenter all your tweaks again. In the future, save your settings in a file on a MAC or PC.
post #2973 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biship View Post
2. When accessing MP3's on the lan (wired win 7 PC), why does it time out, or eventually load, but then take 5s to change song titles? I can barely browse 10 songs of my 2500 songs, as every single navigation takes ~5s...
Is you Denon also wired? It probably doesn't matter that much but it might. Assuming your network is working (you see all the DLNA servers on your network, you can stream audio from the Internet) you're probably having a DLNA issue.

If you're using the native W7 server try another.
post #2974 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer View Post
I dream of a day that will never come. The day I can buy something like a Denon AR 4311 with top end room correction technology and nothing but the ability to pass an untouched video connection through the device. The Audio Receiver should manage and provide the best possible audio playback.
Since 90% of the folks buying multi-channel receivers (particularly when you get into 11.2 territory) are getting all or most multi-channel audio from video sources it makes a great deal of sense for Denon to cater to their customers. They like BD compatibility, HDMI overlay, scaling and the ability to switch several sources without buying Duo.

Sounds like you want an integrated amp from someone like Anthem or Theta plus an Audyssey equalizer.
post #2975 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by merk54

I reset after adding each new source and it is still present.

In search of video bliss...
post #2976 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Since 90% of the folks buying multi-channel receivers (particularly when you get into 11.2 territory) are getting all or most multi-channel audio from video sources it makes a great deal of sense for Denon to cater to their customers. They like BD compatibility, HDMI overlay, scaling and the ability to switch several sources without buying Duo.

Sounds like you want an integrated amp from someone like Anthem or Theta plus an Audyssey equalizer.
I still want BD compatibility, HDMI overlay, and the ability to switch several sources... but scaling is where your TV or BluRay player or HTPC video card can usually do a better job and most people already have these items. It seems weird to have a several thousand dollar plasma TV and have something else do the video scaling. I see where you're coming from though. And, Denon does provide the ability to turn scaling completely off, so I can't complain much there. It's the really crappy network/streaming playback interface that's the most bothersome. I can lean on my Sonos and SageTV systems there. I love the 4311. It provides exactly what I want. It also has a lot I don't want. But, like you say, I'm not their only customer.
post #2977 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

my sound drop happened with a sony BD and a Explorer 8300hd with either a hdmi or an optical connected. It would be resolved temporarily by changing sound source or power switching the unit. But would return more and more frequintly the longer the unit was on. I never had a problem on an anolog signal, digital only was the issue.

after trying several work arounds to an hdmi sound drop including optical cables and multiple sources I have returned the AVR 4311CI. Denon tech did answer my questions but the answer ended with return the AVR for service. For a new unit (less than 10 days), and seeing others with the same issue posted here I have to say I am not very impressed. I have moved on to the Pioneer SC-37 and it so far is perfect. Have to say the remote mades Denons seem like entry level but Denons interface as a result was much easier and intuitive...good luck with your units and fingers crossed the sound stays on.
post #2978 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer
I still want BD compatibility, HDMI overlay, and the ability to switch several sources... but scaling is where your TV or BluRay player or HTPC video card can usually do a better job and most people already have these items. It seems weird to have a several thousand dollar plasma TV and have something else do the video scaling. I see where you're coming from though. And, Denon does provide the ability to turn scaling completely off, so I can't complain much there. It's the really crappy network/streaming playback interface that's the most bothersome. I can lean on my Sonos and SageTV systems there. I love the 4311. It provides exactly what I want. It also has a lot I don't want. But, like you say, I'm not their only customer.
Totally agree. I like all the adds the 4311 does for movie room needs/wants. It's just the really lame network additions that I could do without. Also, with my number one past gripes being network issues..... Here is where a "less is more approach", IMHO would be much, much more.

I like the fact the 4311 upscales my Tivo to 1080p, but really the new Tivo 4 does this and as noted, an HTPC with Arcsoft TMT using their Sim HD scaler through an ATI card is going to do better than even the ABT chipset. You are applying massively multiple video processors to the simulation with deeper control. Point is.... Cheaper better source alternatives exist. Drop the cost of a 4311 type device $200 or so or even better throw in those last two Amps or possibly lead feet, speaker terminals (gold plated of course) and diamond encrusted DAC. The DAC could be made by Jaguar or Mercedes or something and Denon could get some serious street-cred by a DAC sticker or two on the outside front panel. :-) this seems critical to some.
post #2979 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrinct View Post
my sound drop happened with a sony BD and a Explorer 8300hd with either a hdmi or an optical connected. It would be resolved temporarily by changing sound source or power switching the unit. But would return more and more frequintly the longer the unit was on. I never had a problem on an anolog signal, digital only was the issue.

after trying several work arounds to an hdmi sound drop including optical cables and multiple sources I have returned the AVR 4311CI. Denon tech did answer my questions but the answer ended with return the AVR for service. For a new unit (less than 10 days), and seeing others with the same issue posted here I have to say I am not very impressed. I have moved on to the Pioneer SC-37 and it so far is perfect. Have to say the remote mades Denons seem like entry level but Denons interface as a result was much easier and intuitive...good luck with your units and fingers crossed the sound stays on.
Ouch..I wonder how wide spread the issue is. I know early adopters go in knowingly, but why can't Denon get it right out of the box. My trusty 3803 never has drops. I think it's too early to tell whats going on here but I'm confident some software updates may fix some of these issues. Time will tell.
post #2980 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I should get my replacement in two days. I'll see if the issues persist. If they do, I'll have a tough decision to make. I love 4311ci, but audio dropouts and UI overlay disappearance are not acceptable.
post #2981 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Ok. After some more very impressive listening + watching of music and movies with the A100 dang this is one hell of a unit. The detail and accuracy that XT32 produces is WOW. It is def a improvement over the 4810.

Is it a night and day difference, for me yes. Two reasons 1)true .2 and
2)I believe XT32 is doing a much better job with my surrounds. To the point that my less than perfect room sounds a bit more perfect. Especially in the way that its blending my surround speakers which are oddly spaced. One speaker is 5-6 feet outside of what I like to call my HT zone in order to be wall mounted. With XT this speaker was off and the sound gave the impression of being seperated. I no longer get this. Both surrounds seem to be dead on and come across with enough detail to tell you they are there.
The surrounds seem much clearer and easily distinguished. The subs are hitting in unison and sound a little lower and tighter.

Now, I will admit this could be placebo as I want the A100 to sound better to justify my purchase/ego. But dang i really think it does .

Also, to those that suggested sticking the wides/heights into a not so perfect room and trying it out, thanks. The wides are a true immersive experience. I rewatched iron man 2 and the dark knight and it was like i was listening to the movies for the 1st time. Wishing I had tried them earlier.

If not for the quirks of the video processing, which I have turned off, this would be a almost perefect experience. My fear is that Denon wont address or at least admit that there are some quirks could we be stuck with a less than stellar unit? At this time the bugs are not a major issue for me as my FPJ1\\Sony ES (eventually will replace with denon or Oppo 3D blu player) does a pretty stellar Job. But I am looking at replacing teh FPJ1 with one of the newer 3D projectors and could the buggy video effect this experience or the intro of un-proven tech and a bungled video implementation in the A100 prove to much to ignore ?

In search of video bliss...
post #2982 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A-100 There are too many things for me to explore on this receiver and will take time as this is an awsome receiver so far and I am just getting into Pandora first.
I have had (1) 6-8 sec audio drop out while listening for 3 hours. It has 100% displayed all the time while streaming. Is MP3 128 kbps the best I can get with Pandora? My sub never kicks in I am hooked up with ethernet directly. I would like higher quality if I can get it
-Dave
post #2983 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbueno View Post

Ouch..I wonder how wide spread the issue is. I know early adopters go in knowingly, but why can't Denon get it right out of the box. My trusty 3803 never has drops. I think it's too early to tell whats going on here but I'm confident some software updates may fix some of these issues. Time will tell.

vfrinct. I also think a bit harsh here.... Did you check for known problems with the 8300 and Denons? Did you attempt to output everything at the same resolution? It's totally cool to bail but if you didn't attempt to correct the known problems.... Yikes.... Now the Sony is a bit more of a surprise. Also, with a 10 day unit, whoever you purchased it from should of honored a 30 day swap. This is one reason I don't mind paying a little more for a locally sourced unit. If something is to go wrong, it'll happen fast and someone local, you have dealt with for years will try a bunch harder to "make it right". Same with Denon. They do support the local guys better than some brands. not near as good as others.

I will never understand people trying to squeeze the last nickel out of a retailer and then questioning when this retail won't accomodate returns or issues very well. Now a $300 swing is not worth it if you are willing to accept the compromise of dealing over the net and perhaps states away.

I buy a ton over the internet though, but not on this AVR.
post #2984 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy View Post

The DAC could be made by Jaguar or Mercedes or something and Denon could get some serious street-cred by a DAC sticker or two on the outside front panel. :-) this seems critical to some.

Conversely, some people uncritically lap up anything that Denon spoon feeds them.

AJ
post #2985 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

A-100 There are too many things for me to explore on this receiver and will take time as this is an awsome receiver so far and I am just getting into Pandora first.
I have had (1) 6-8 sec audio drop out while listening for 3 hours. It has 100% displayed all the time while streaming. Is MP3 128 kbps the best I can get with Pandora? My sub never kicks in I am hooked up with ethernet directly. I would like higher quality if I can get it
-Dave

I think you have to pay for the Pandora One membership if you want a higher res (192), but not sure if the Denon is setup for playing the higher bit rate from Pandora. I'm planning on testing this when I get my unit.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #2986 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

I think you have to pay for the Pandora One membership if you want a higher res (192), but not sure if the Denon is setup for playing the higher bit rate from Pandora.

Denon is not setup to play anything higher than 128 from Pandora at this time. The $36 if you choose to pay is to get more than 40hrs. a week, plus a couple of other small benefits . Its a bit misleading but after contacting Pandora there response was to say they're working on getting the higher rate sometime down the road...by the way the 128 sounds pretty good for mp3 on my 4311
post #2987 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 28
OK Thanks for the info so far. I have now moved onto Asset upnp.

So much better musicaly than Pandora but I will keep going back because I like how it knows what I like to listen to . Streaming is very good on my Asset list but it stops after each song on the list. How can I get it to just play the whole list without stopping between songs?

Yes I am a newby but I am having so much fun enabling all my stored up music on my PC
post #2988 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer View Post

... but scaling is where your TV or BluRay player or HTPC video card can usually do a better job and most people already have these items. It seems weird to have a several thousand dollar plasma TV and have something else do the video scaling. ...

Some people think that. I recommend that you make an assessment. One is often surprised. I'll let the ABT in my 4311 scale and deinterlace non-BD sources for my Kuro -- for various reasons.
post #2989 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Kbueno,

I can say the same thing about my AVR-3802, but it would be comparing a grape to a watermelon. Problems are inherit in all the latest technology over the last 3 or 4 years. You just hope and pray that you are not affected. You must not frequent other threads.

Willie

Basement: Oppo BDP-105D, Denon DVD-5910CI, Arcam FMJ BDP300, Cambridge 640C V2
Master Bedroom: Sony BDP-S790, Oppo BDP-103D
Family Room: Oppo BDP-93, Pioneer BDP-320
Office: Cambridge 752BD
post #2990 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Conversely, some people uncritically lap up anything that Denon spoon feeds them.

AJ

AJ,

This is true, but the same can be said for other threads. Some people like to blindly give their manufacturer of choice a pass from time to time. Luckily, I don't subscribe.

Willie

Basement: Oppo BDP-105D, Denon DVD-5910CI, Arcam FMJ BDP300, Cambridge 640C V2
Master Bedroom: Sony BDP-S790, Oppo BDP-103D
Family Room: Oppo BDP-93, Pioneer BDP-320
Office: Cambridge 752BD
post #2991 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some people think that. I recommend that you make an assessment. One is often surprised. I'll let the ABT in my 4311 scale and deinterlace non-BD sources for my Kuro -- for various reasons.

bodosom. I have done this (test the difference that is) many times with the 4810 and several times with the 4311. Arcsoft TMT 3.0 with SimHD output to either receiver is superior, vastly so in most cases than the ABT chip and of course, you can customize. Admittedly, I don't tweak much. I would rather have the 4311 do its thing on Tivo content, but as you know, there are issues here with all things Tivo. I also admit, I haven't tried switching the Tivo back to variable as I had such a crappy experience here with the 4810 and Tivo combo.
post #2992 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Kbueno,

I can say the same thing about my AVR-3802, but it would be comparing a grape to a watermelon. Problems are inherit in all the latest technology over the last 3 or 4 years. You just hope and pray that you are not affected. You must not frequent other threads.

Willie

Well, I think you nailed it..."last 3-4 years". The technology has really advanced lately and I'd rather get state of the art now to be somewhat future proof as my receiver cycle life seems to be every 5-7 years..sheesh! I think I will be affected, but I do so knowingly. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. This will be my 3rd Denon and the first two were virtually flawless so I do hold a slight hope that it will all work out.
post #2993 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy View Post

Arcsoft TMT 3.0 with SimHD output to either receiver is superior, vastly so in most cases than the ABT chip and of course, you can customize.

Although it may not seem like here on AVS HTPCs are an oddity. Even more so than people spending over $1,000 on a receiver. A STB or a DVD is a much more likely source.

Really if the worst thing about your AVR experience is a fussy network you've been lucky although why Denon doesn't do upgrades via USB is a puzzle.
post #2994 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Problems are inherit in all the latest technology over the last 3 or 4 years.

Indeed, the most stable piece of HD equipment I've owned was my B&K 507. And even that require version 2. Three HDMI AVRs and three sets of problems. Such is life.
post #2995 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Hope to get my A100 this week according to my source...still need to wire for the heights, but everything else is ready to go, especially since Audyssey released 3.4 of the Pro software...if it does come in, I'm going to try and get a calibration run done on Sunday and do some subjective comparisons with my A1/Multi EQ XT

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #2996 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Hope to get my A100 this week according to my source...still need to wire for the heights, but everything else is ready to go, especially since Audyssey released 3.4 of the Pro software...if it does come in, I'm going to try and get a calibration run done on Sunday and do some subjective comparisons with my A1/Multi EQ XT

Please let us know your listening review. You have more ca-ching in speakers than I have in nearly my entire home system. Big bad Di's as fronts.... wow!!! Nice as it would be to hear your thoughts about build quality, DACs and net stuff, I'd like to know how it sounds with your system.

Enjoy.
post #2997 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although it may not seem like here on AVS HTPCs are an oddity. Even more so than people spending over $1,000 on a receiver. A STB or a DVD is a much more likely source.

Really if the worst thing about your AVR experience is a fussy network you've been lucky although why Denon doesn't do upgrades via USB is a puzzle.

I don't think HTPCs are that uncommon anymore. At my office ( in no way related to tech ) about half the people use them with a large monitor or TV. Certainly there are more people with DVD players times 100 but network source and PC's are slowly going main stream. I am also quite fine with the 4311, actually very happy, but if I just talk about all the positives and ignore the negatives, I go all fan boy and people get ticked. Granted, nameless, faceless people but I'm guessing people - no less.

It's all good.
post #2998 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:

I believe some have mentioned no issues on the Game Input? Maybe others could confirm...set to get mine tomorrow and will report on this as well.

I watched the opening credits from Watchmen recorded on my STB and the blue rain is definitely there. I tried game mode and it is still there. I then switched the converter from Analog to Analog and HDMI, and it definitely became worse. The blue rain is much more pronounced. I set the converter to off and it looks fine. I guess I am going to have to contact Denon as I am outside my return period.

On the plus side, it still sounds awesome.

Xbox Live: Nt1chr1st
PS3: Nt1chr1st
post #2999 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

TiVo 3.

I said I'd report back on whether the 4311 has the same handshake problem as previous Denon AVR's. With Tivos set to output video in it's native format. So, tonight I went in and set to native. I got about 10 minutes on multiple channels; 720p, 480i, and 1080i. Quick response. Dohh, Dohh, and triple Dohhh!!! It does not work. Game over for native video out. One other thing... The damn Tivo switches channels stupid slow in native anyway so, I'll cope.

There have been clear indications on this thread regarding cable handshake issues. They exist. Fix your output..... Solve your problem. Blue rain seems like a real problem. Cable boxes.... Not so much. Most of them are junk.
post #3000 of 24177 Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 PM

I got a call back from Denon Support today regarding the blue rain issue. The man took a bunch more information from me (type of TV, type and length of HDMI cable, etc.) He asked me to try resetting the processor and see if that fixed the problem. I did, and it didn't fix the problem, in fact the first time I tried it, it actually made the problem worse - I got blue and green rain! Reset it again, and now it's back to just blue again.

Anyway, the guy said this was this first he's heard of the problem and was going to do some research tonight and get back to me tomorrow. Most likely I will be exchanging for a new one tomorrow night, unless Denon is able to come up with something in the mean time.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread