The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 199 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
djoel. I have not heard of a 1100 replacement. Logitech is due a new unit but I'm not sure if this is soon. New WiFi models may be the next big leap. The problem here is most of us need IR + WiFi + a PC/apple control device. I use my HTPC extensively and also need IR control for lighting, screen drop down, and other devices. I have mentioned this before but I'd like a hardware device with full HTPC/Mouse Control, IR, RF, WiFi and all for less than 5 bills. Any ideas? Until then , it's the 1100 and a DiNovo Mini + an I-Pad for other WiFi Stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy View Post

djoel. I have not heard of a 1100 replacement. Logitech is due a new unit but I'm not sure if this is soon. New WiFi models may be the next big leap. The problem here is most of us need IR + WiFi + a PC/apple control device. I use my HTPC extensively and also need IR control for lighting, screen drop down, and other devices. I have mentioned this before but I'd like a hardware device with full HTPC/Mouse Control, IR, RF, WiFi and all for less than 5 bills. Any ideas? Until then , it's the 1100 and a DiNovo Mini + an I-Pad for other WiFi Stuff.

Thanks, I would think Harmony would be doing some new exciting things, you know some game changers.

I think I have a better understanding of all this stuff at present date, sort of I think I'll give the 1100 a chance, I see them going at some reasonable price.

DJoel
Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Wait all my Harmony remotes and the A100 remote do exactly what the op is asking. I press a button it turns things that need to be on on and sets the correct inputs. The question wasn't that perplexing..was it?

Hm, but I have to teach/program the remote of 4311/A100 and put in all my electronics gear I have?
I just want to turn off my BDP, and switch back to my Tivo, or pio, just like it does with the BDP which happens to be a Sony unit.

Thanks

Djoel
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Hm, but I have to teach/program the remote of 4311/A100 and put in all my electronics gear I have?
I just want to turn off my BDP, and switch back to my Tivo, or pio, just like it does with the BDP which happens to be a Sony unit.

Thanks

Djoel

The Harmony IR DB is huge and it's very rare they dont have codes for devices.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

The Harmony IR DB is huge and it's very rare they dont have codes for devices.

Very rare, and doesn't have codes? I guess it's not for me.

Btw
Great set up you have there Djos

Djoel
Old 01-10-2011, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very rare, and doesn't have codes? I guess it's not for me.

Btw
Great set up you have there Djos

Djoel
Lol, I meant it is unlikely your devices are un-supported.

Cheers, Im hanging for my 4311 to arrive, Aus has been short changed by the last 2 shipments so I've been on back order since November! Hopefully it means I'll get a non-dogy 4311. Plus we move into the new house in 2 days and im really looking forward to having a living room wide enuf for "wides".

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post
Lol, I meant it is unlikely your devices are un-supported.

Cheers, Im hanging for my 4311 to arrive, Aus has been short changed by the last 2 shipments so I've been on back order since November! Hopefully it means I'll get a non-dogy 4311. Plus we move into the new house in 2 days and im really looking forward to having a living room wide enuf for "wides".

Into a new house you say, I bet I know which room will go up first, Yeah lets hope for the best, and the 4311 will be prime non-dogy, for your wide and wide what no hights ?

DJoel
Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Seeing that it appears that many are unsatisfied/undecided about (with) running Airplay straightaway to the 4311, I just want to give a quick impression of my new Apple TV with Rhapsody/Itunes/you tube etc experience.

What it has working for it:

1. Say goodbye to the "just itunes" limitation. This should be huge for many of you. No, you're not going to be streaming everything in existence, but the ability to run Rhapsody, Napster, Youtube, Netlfix, etc in addition to itunes to me is worth the other $50 ALONE.

2. VIDEO. Nuff said.

3. The ability to overlay the audio of what you're streaming over existing video, HDMI included. I alluded to this a few pages back, and for me, it's nearly essential. By way of utilizing the OPTICAL out on the ATV2, you can assign it to virtually ANY input and then simply select "DIGITAL" in the "Input Mode" area. This is awesome for me, as I frequently have parties and such where we'll have music playing during game commercials or during the contests themselves, depending on how dreadful the play by play is, lol.

4. I cannot overstate how much better the streaming QUALITY is over my former "Airfoil" solution. Haven't heard a drop yet, much lower noise floor, no static. I'm pretty damn picky, but this methodology offers truly excellent playback quality. For those having problems I urge you to troubleshoot your network. I cannot decipher my lossless files from their hardwired and wired counterparts. Yes!

5. I own an ipad that runs Rhapsody. And for those that also "do" Rhapsody, prepare to be in heaven. Now, even though there's not yet a "dedicated" ipad app (you have to "suffer" with the blown-up, slighlty-pixelated iphone version), I can't overstate how awesome it is to have a WIRELESS, touch-screen jukebox with 12 million songs at your disposal. Talk about the ultimate weapon for a get-together.

6. It all just works. As some who already have Airplay with the 4311 have found, the stuff just generally works seamlessly, ALL the time, once you get it going. Turn it on, click an icon. Again, Airfoil was just a cobbled mess for me, with very underwhelming SQ. Not here. Thank goodness.

That's it. Sorry for the length gang, but I just wanted to give everyone on the fence for the internal AP update to know there was another option. And even though it's "double" the price at $99, in my eyes, it offers an undeniable (and impossible-to-live without, IMO) upgrade in power and flexibility.

Enjoy the week!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
^^^^

so perhaps I should add to the Airplay FAQ:

for best results, buy an Apple TV 2 instead?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1304948

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Honestly Mark, I cannot "UNjustify" the other $50.

James

Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
^ Honestly Mark, I cannot "UNjustify" the other $50.

James
do you get the same iTunes interface on the iPad as with Airplay?

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I pretty sure that was the consensus even before the AirPlay upgrade was released. The only reasons not to are: one fewer box and a slightly simpler control interface if you have the iOS Remote app.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
do you get the same iTunes interface on the iPad as with Airplay?
You can if you control the same object. An ATV shows up as a controllable device while the 4311 does not so there can be a subtle difference.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

And of course the other important point is that you can still "airplay" itunes on a CPU with the itunes cpu interface if you co choose.

Outiside of constructing massive playlists, I actually PREFER the iphone/ipad i-face.

James

Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 AM

Liked: 10
I know I saw this mentioned before, but my subs are not working when watching satellite? But this thread is super long.

They work fine when getting a 5.1 or 7.1 signal from my PS3 or BD, but not from a 2 channel source like my Sat PVR.

Any suggestions as to why this might be?

Borington
Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Thanks for the apple tv rundown, mastermaybe.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1971 View Post
I know I saw this mentioned before, but my subs are not working when watching satellite? But this thread is super long.

They work fine when getting a 5.1 or 7.1 signal from my PS3 or BD, but not from a 2 channel source like my Sat PVR.

What are the default processing modes for the SAT input? It's likely that you need to enter the GUI and ensure the sub settings are uniform across the inputs/surroundmodes. Specifically, check out the audio settings/subwoofer area for stereo/LFE, etc playback. For instance: if you are receiving "just" a stereo signal over the SAT and do not have the sub "on" for stereo playback, it will remain/turn off.

James

Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tried or does anyone know if Ethernet is passed thru the HDMI cable. In other words if I have an Ethernet enabled display will it have a network connection if it is connected to the 4311 via an Ethernet enabled HDMI cable ?

Regards,
Steve
Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Richards View Post
Has anyone tried or does anyone know if Ethernet is passed thru the HDMI cable. In other words if I have an Ethernet enabled display will it have a network connection if it is connected to the 4311 via an Ethernet enabled HDMI cable ?
although this is a feature of HDMI 1.4, I don't think it is implemented yet (it says Look for devices that include HDMI Ethernet Channel functionality)

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hec.aspx

Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Richards View Post
1. Capable does not mean implemented
(eg, deep color displays, 3D, etc)

2. Even if implemented, you have to have SOMETHING connected to the internet/network that then can use the HDMI for its putative ethernet capability.

Mike
Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks Mastermaybe- I now feel better about an informed choice and will get the ATV2
-Dave
Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

No problem guys, you're welcome. I'd just hate to see someone peeter away $50 without knowing what can be had for $99.

It's pretty clear to me that Apple's going for the jugular with this thing. It may not be a Sonos, but for $99 a pop, it is a very powerful little box for those looking to move music/movies/photos around and "live" with itunes and Netflix.

James

Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Hey Seattle do you or anyone if Harmony will be replacing the 1100? It's had a long run for some time now, any news, rumors?
are you thinking about the 1000 (not the 1100)? the Harmony 1100 is pretty new actually, it's only been out a bit less than 2 years. It was announced at CES 2009.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

this is almost certainly because your Front L/R speakers are either (1) set to LARGE or (2) set to SMALL but with such a low crossover (e.g. 40hz) that the bass is not getting redirected to the subs.

5.1/7.1 material has a dedicated LFE track (the "point 1" in 5.1) for the subwoofer, but for stereo material (2-ch) you need to activate bass management (by setting speakers to "small" with a reasonable crossover) to get the sub to play bass. Note that you can also configure independent bass management for 2-ch modes (in MANUAL SETUP > AUDIO SETUP > 2CH DIRECT/STEREO) without affected that for multich modes.

Also, for 2-ch sources that are film/video based (like the Sat PVR) you should use PLIIx Cinema mode to matrix the stereo signal to 7.1.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Sounds like your fronts are set to "large" set them to small with a xover of 60/80 and bonza!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 AM

I agree that the Apple TV2 (new version) is great! I see no reason to get Airplay for my new Denon AVR-4311. Apple TV is the way to go. Its the best electronic gadget I have bought in a long time and it costs less than $100!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Seeing that it appears that many are unsatisfied/undecided about (with) running Airplay straightaway to the 4311, I just want to give a quick impression of my new Apple TV with Rhapsody/Itunes/you tube etc experience.

What it has working for it:

1. Say goodbye to the "just itunes" limitation. This should be huge for many of you. No, you're not going to be streaming everything in existence, but the ability to run Rhapsody, Napster, Youtube, Netlfix, etc in addition to itunes to me is worth the other $50 ALONE.

2. VIDEO. Nuff said.

3. The ability to overlay the audio of what you're streaming over existing video, HDMI included. I alluded to this a few pages back, and for me, it's nearly essential. By way of utilizing the OPTICAL out on the ATV2, you can assign it to virtually ANY input and then simply select "DIGITAL" in the "Input Mode" area. This is awesome for me, as I frequently have parties and such where we'll have music playing during game commercials or during the contests themselves, depending on how dreadful the play by play is, lol.

4. I cannot overstate how much better the streaming QUALITY is over my former "Airfoil" solution. Haven't heard a drop yet, much lower noise floor, no static. I'm pretty damn picky, but this methodology offers truly excellent playback quality. For those having problems I urge you to troubleshoot your network. I cannot decipher my lossless files from their hardwired and wired counterparts. Yes!

5. I own an ipad that runs Rhapsody. And for those that also "do" Rhapsody, prepare to be in heaven. Now, even though there's not yet a "dedicated" ipad app (you have to "suffer" with the blown-up, slighlty-pixelated iphone version), I can't overstate how awesome it is to have a WIRELESS, touch-screen jukebox with 12 million songs at your disposal. Talk about the ultimate weapon for a get-together.

6. It all just works. As some who already have Airplay with the 4311 have found, the stuff just generally works seamlessly, ALL the time, once you get it going. Turn it on, click an icon. Again, Airfoil was just a cobbled mess for me, with very underwhelming SQ. Not here. Thank goodness.

That's it. Sorry for the length gang, but I just wanted to give everyone on the fence for the internal AP update to know there was another option. And even though it's "double" the price at $99, in my eyes, it offers an undeniable (and impossible-to-live without, IMO) upgrade in power and flexibility.

Enjoy the week!

James
Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM

Yes indeed!

Quote:
^^^^

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1304948
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
are you thinking about the 1000 (not the 1100)? the Harmony 1100 is pretty new actually, it's only been out a bit less than 2 years. It was announced at CES 2009.

Yes the 1100, but in my head seem so long ago, I recall some growing pains, and some Polls about some of it's issues, which I know allot of them have been addressed.

But you might be right the 1000 had short run, and I might be confusing them both.

Djoel
Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM

I'm new to this site and barely as technically knowledgeable as all of you, so I apologize in advance.

I have scoured this site and others and am feeling a bit scared about buying the 4311, even though I know I need to upgrade my Sony DA5300ES receiver. Here's why:

I have a new Samsung 9000 3D TV and a Samsung 3D blu-ray player. I am on DirecTV with HR24 box and whole home DVR sharing. I use a Roku to stream Netflix and Pandora. I have Sunfire L/R/C and sub and in-wall Niles surround sound backs. Also connected into the system are my iPod, Wii and a Niles 4-zone speaker selector w/volume control for outdoor speakers.

I have seen all the posts about bad audio, clicking, blue rain, bad video boards, good/bad serial numbers and DirecTV problems. Yeesh!

I've also seen fab reviews and awards.

I use my system 75% for TV/movies and 25% for music.

Can one of you super smart people help me get past my fears of buying this unit now...or maybe I should wait for a next possibly less buggy batch to be made (and how would I know I would get one of those anyway?)

Is DirecTV still an issue?
Is HR24 an issue?
Is audio dropping on my system still gonna be an issue?
Same for blue rain?
And same for messed up board?

Anyone have experience using 4311 with 3D, 3D blu-ray and DirecTV and (possibly) similar components as I have described in my setup?

I looked at the Onkyo 3008, but it's problems seemed worse!

Thank you all so much in advance for your help!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

HDMI issues with ANY cable/sat box will always be a potential issue with ANY modern HDMI receiver.

The "audio loss" bug is fixed (firmware update)

The video problems have ostensibly been identified as bad hardware and, if you are unlucky enough to get one, it will be fixed under warranty. I think that's not really something to worry about anymore.

The 4311 is a very complex beast. Will you ever go beyond 7.1? If not then you may want to consider the 3311ci step-down model.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon