The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by agelessgoodguy View Post

Can I ask if anyone has tried driving four Monitor Audio GS-FX's off the back of a 4311 knowing that the amp only gives 150mA of power for this circuit? No I don't know the draw of the GSFX's that would be too easy. Thanks.

I had a similar concern a few years ago. I probably overkilled the problem, but it worked. I found a Niles box that allowed the trigger circuit to turn on other devices that didn't have a trigger circuit. Instead of plugging the devices themselves in, I plugged in a 120V to 12V transformer (300ma or larger) and used that to trigger all my devices. The 150ma circuit just switched on the 300ma transformer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

3) A FR plot of off, flat and reference (red, blue, green)

Whoa, so you're saying that this are FR measurements of your mains (I assume), with red being before Audyssey, and green being after?!? I thought Audyssey wasn't suppoesd to EQ below a speaker's -3db point. That graph makes it look like Audyssey is doing significant boosting below the speaker's roll-off point. If I'm looking at that correctly, that could be harmful to your speakers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #8103 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

Whoa, so you're saying that this are FR measurements of your mains (I assume)

No. Graph three includes the sub. The dark blue plot in the fourth graph is fronts only. Cross-over is 40Hz.

Red - Off (Direct) using mains+sub
Green - Reference using mains+sub
Blue - Flat using mains+sub
Dark Blue - Flat using mains

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8104 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

I thought my 4311ci was working fine after the firmware upgrades that fixed the original DD 2.0 audio loss issue (and blue rain that I have not experienced).

I have been noticing occasional audio drop-outs (i.e. not permanent loss, but transient drop-out) with various Blu-rays playing from my Dune media player (over the network). I thought it's the Dune or the network to blame.

However, I was playing newly acquired Bambi directly from blu ray disc and was experiencing the drop-outs pretty frequently, like every 5-6 minutes. I had Dune bitstream the audio to the Denon. I changed it to decode the audio and send PCM to the receiver. Drop-outs were gone! It's not definitive the Denon is at fault, but it's certainly suspect. The audio track on Bambi is DTS-HD HR 7.1.

Anyone else noticed any problems decoding lossless and/or high resolution audio tracks on their 4311ci?
post #8105 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyclave View Post

And a 5 year warranty
And an upgraded amplifier chassis
And the nicer speaker binding posts on the back (like the 5308)
And the cast iron feet

All of those seem cosmetic but they are meant to reduce resonance and microphonic noise in the AVR.

Yes, it has a glossy black front, but it is different than a 4311.

Just shouting into the wind my friend, just shouting into the wind
post #8106 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post

I still cant believe the 4311 or the 100 have not been bench tested by any of the magazines yet....or at least posted online. I would be nice to see some numbers on these guys instead of wasting time on over priced boutique gear.
JMO though.

Me either. Very annoying. I'm thinking it's the limited stock of A100 and cost, and Denon may not be releasing them for review. But yes, very annoying.
post #8107 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Wow, the 4311/A100 web interface is a nice improvement over the 3808! Had the A100 for a couple weeks and just now checked it out. Sweet!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
post #8108 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post

I had a similar concern a few years ago. I probably overkilled the problem, but it worked. I found a Niles box that allowed the trigger circuit to turn on other devices that didn't have a trigger circuit. Instead of plugging the devices themselves in, I plugged in a 120V to 12V transformer (300ma or larger) and used that to trigger all my devices. The 150ma circuit just switched on the 300ma transformer.

He does not want to power his speakers just switch between monopole and dipole mode based on trigger output from 4311.

He has 4 GSFX surround speakers and wants to know if anyone has connected 4 MA GSFX speaker input trigger ports to a single 4311 trigger out port.
post #8109 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

He does not want to power his speakers just switch between monopole and dipole mode based on trigger output from 4311.

He has 4 GSFX surround speakers and wants to know if anyone has connected 4 MA GSFX speaker input trigger ports to a single 4311 trigger out port.

yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting....reread what I posted. You could use my technique to trigger your screen to come down, your drapes to close, etc.
post #8110 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:

yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting....reread what I posted. You could use my technique to trigger your screen to come down, your drapes to close, etc.

Yep misread, sorry. Looks good!
post #8111 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

No. Graph three includes the sub. ...
Red - Off (Direct) using mains+sub

It looks like the red graph doesn't include the sub. Which isn't unusual, as "direct" mode often doesn't apply bass management.

(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #8112 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

XT32 will definitely bring those speakers into a cohesive sound field. It also has enough internal eqfilters on ALL speakers to tune the lows in the 3.3's...previous versions of Audyssey would not have done anywhere near as good a job on those 3.3's.

You may find the sound bright on some inputs..NHT's are not inherently warm speakers and they are brutally revealing. As I said earlier, I use the audyssey pro installer kit (anyone can buy one) to tame the highs a bit (still a work in progress) and to add about .75db of warmth between 400 and 1000hz which has made a wonderful improvement to my ears.

I'm also currently running NHT speakers with my 4311, but I've added an Emotiva XPA-5 (because I got a great deal on it, not because I thought the 4311 needed any help).
My NHT setup is:
Evolution T5's - Front L/R
M6 - Center (also used NHT VC-3 but ended up going with the M6)
M5 - Front Wides
L5 (6) - Front Heights, Side & Rear Surrounds
The 4311 plus XT32 (haven't, but will soon, gone to the Pro setup) does a great job with these speakers, much better than my previous receviers (the 3311, 4310 & 5308).
I find the results to be very neutral, no hint of brightness as I'd previously encountered with some NHT speakers. (well maybe revealing is a better word than brightness).
I know better speakers are out there,
but for the price these NHT speakers are going for now.....
pretty hard to beat in my opionion.

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #8113 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

It looks like the red graph doesn't include the sub.

Yes, you are correct. It uses the sub in Direct when LFE = LFE+Main. Perhaps I'll re-measure.

post #8114 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 06:27 PM

Lately my 4311 does not want to connect to my network. Tried unplugging / power cycling everything. I want to go in to the network settings and try disabling DHCP, etc. but for some reason I can't get in to the "Network Connecting" menu to do so. It just says "Network Connecting" with no right facing arrow to allow me in to that menu as described in the manual. Any ideas?
post #8115 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondNut View Post

Lately my 4311 does not want to connect to my network. Tried unplugging / power cycling everything. I want to go in to the network settings and try disabling DHCP, etc. but for some reason I can't get in to the "Network Connecting" menu to do so. It just says "Network Connecting" with no right facing arrow to allow me in to that menu as described in the manual. Any ideas?

I get that occasionally.. but much less then before considering the amount of pandora I use.... unplugging the AVR for a brief moment has always worked for me except once where is was my network issue. In that case I reset my router.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #8116 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondNut View Post

It just says "Network Connecting" with no right facing arrow

That's happened to me once. I inadvertently put it in standby while doing a save and the network stopped working. I tried toggling DHCP and NETWORK CONNECTING stopped working. I waited for a while and it resolved itself.

post #8117 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 PM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post

Wow, the 4311/A100 web interface is a nice improvement over the 3808! Had the A100 for a couple weeks and just now checked it out. Sweet!

TYVM for that. The 3808 was MUCH better than almost every other one out there still to this date, so if the 4311 is better than that...wow is right.
post #8118 of 23567 Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Well, the last ton-o-pages got off on a few people having serious problems or very deep dislike of Audyssey EQ. That's all well and good, but I actually watch and listen to material. Lots of material and of varied type. Often via recorded cable, often high quality Blu Ray. Occasionally, Internet TV and poor quality downloaded Netflix material.

Tonight, I watched "Hot Fuzz" Blu Ray in DTS Master HD. I upscoped from standard DTS 5.1 Master HD to 7.1 via PLIIx. Audyssey EQ was applied and finally all set to DSX H + W in The PLIIx was set to Cinema. Dynamic Vol set to Day. -15 db on the 4311 master volume.

I go in to such detail, because I believe what you feed the 4311 and how you choose processing matters. Oh, one last thing, I set the Sub 1+2 volume up 2db from Audysseys EQ recommendation.

Well, this movie, quite like "Inception" had over the top LFE material. I had to step down the Bass to Audysseys recommended setting. There were no shrill highs, not harsh treble. etc... The movie was a lot of fun and the scenes where action blasting crazy. Only the Brits could unload 5,000 rounds and hit absolutely nothing... We Yanks pulverize cities with a few leaps and running shots; usually fired in slow mo by Scarlet Johansen or Angelina Jolie.

Really, it was quite good, bullets zinging as they should and people talking right on the screen like they should. I state all this because I believe the 4311 can't make bad material sound good. For those who get flat, thin, dissapointing sound what material are you using? I know this is subjective but I get a very wide quality of sound based on material. Without offending (note I didn't bash any particular speaker/outboard amp/room) What material are you getting dissapointing sound with? If you look at recent charts via REW posted, nothing shows out of whack EQ. It just might be helpful to say what you are listening to and what you have your system set at. If you use subs, are you changing the crossover points? If you use subs and main, are you using the Fronts + Sub double setting?

Had fun with "Hot Fuzz" I recommend it as a nice workout for LFE material, with old people blasting away at a village..... and missing a lot.
post #8119 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I know better speakers are out there,
but for the price these NHT speakers are going for now.....
pretty hard to beat in my opionion.

Hmm, they look interesting.

I'm in the market for new speakers, I'll see if I can get a demo set in the netherlands.
post #8120 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Had fun with "Hot Fuzz" I recommend it as a nice workout for LFE material, with old people blasting away at a village..... and missing a lot.

Try either "Burlesque" or "tron legacy" for great LFE. Those two impressed the heck out of me. They clearly show the benefits of audyssey. Especially the way it integrates the sub to all channels.

Tron sounding nothing short of hypnotizing...
post #8121 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 AM

Well we ALL agree that Audyssey really works for movies. It's 2ch/Music that has got issues...

And yes Hot Fuzz is hilarious...
post #8122 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tephra View Post

Well we ALL agree that Audyssey really works for movies. It's 2ch/Music that has got issues...

And yes Hot Fuzz is hilarious...

There are the same issues for movies also. But they're not as evident as in music playback.
post #8123 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^ Audyssey works just fine regardless of # of channels. It certainly helps with 2.0 or 2.1 critical listening in my system and it really shines for MC, as it does for most folks. Especially with the DSX wides. YMMV of course, depending on room, gear, speaker placement, correct setup, etc.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8124 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:

Thanks for that santia....looks like the boy is gettin' a perfectly good 3808ci, boy the 3808 has been flawless. Looking ahead to 9.2 though

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #8125 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the point is that some folks are unhappy with Audyssey as done in the 4311. They are even more unhappy when someone suggests they're doing somethink wrong. If there hadn't already been issues with the 4311 those folks might be less irked but under the circumstances it seems imprudent to dismiss the reports out of hand.

I've seen/heard some Audyssey artifacts. With some patience I've resolved those issues.

Some random data:
XT32 set my fronts to large with a 40Hz x-o when small. Surrounds at 150Hz and the center at 100Hz.
Pro Kit set my fronts to large with 60Hz preferred. Surrounds at 100Hz and the center at 80Hz.

post #8126 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Me either. Very annoying. I'm thinking it's the limited stock of A100 and cost, and Denon may not be releasing them for review. But yes, very annoying.

Home Cinema Choice's new edition (which has the pic of the Joker on the cover-page) has a review on the 4311

post #8127 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

So noone else has any issues decoding HD codecs on their 4311ci? No audio drop-outs whatsover?

Since I switched the my source to decoding from bitstreaming I have not noticed any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

I thought my 4311ci was working fine after the firmware upgrades that fixed the original DD 2.0 audio loss issue (and blue rain that I have not experienced).

I have been noticing occasional audio drop-outs (i.e. not permanent loss, but transient drop-out) with various Blu-rays playing from my Dune media player (over the network). I thought it's the Dune or the network to blame.

However, I was playing newly acquired Bambi directly from blu ray disc and was experiencing the drop-outs pretty frequently, like every 5-6 minutes. I had Dune bitstream the audio to the Denon. I changed it to decode the audio and send PCM to the receiver. Drop-outs were gone! It's not definitive the Denon is at fault, but it's certainly suspect. The audio track on Bambi is DTS-HD HR 7.1.

Anyone else noticed any problems decoding lossless and/or high resolution audio tracks on their 4311ci?

post #8128 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 AM

I am having major issues with my Onkyo 3008 and 5008 handshake issues with Panasonic 65VT25. Does anyone run the Denon 4300 with a Panasonic VT25 connected with HDMI with no handshake issues?
post #8129 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

So noone else has any issues decoding HD codecs on their 4311ci? No audio drop-outs whatsover?

Since I switched the my source to decoding from bitstreaming I have not noticed any issues.

-Where in Bambi. I will test tonight and report. Any specific scenes?

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #8130 of 23567 Old 03-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

-Where in Bambi. I will test tonight and report. Any specific scenes?

Did not try again, so can't point specific scenes. But several occurences during the first 30 minutes or so. Will play again to test and let you know.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page