The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 439 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Who is Sara K.?

Umm... Sara K
http://www.amazon.com/Hell-High-Wate.../dp/B000EQINQS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Sara K? She's the gal I've been spening more time with lately. I hope Alison Krauss doesn't get jealous.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Sara K? She's the gal I've been spening more time with lately. I hope Alison Krauss doesn't get jealous.

I meant no disrespect. I listen to a lot of music, and it is strange that I have never run across Sara K. Before. I'll make a point to familiarize myself with some of her works.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Don't really like Alison Krauss, but only because she indirectly kept Led Zepellin from reforming and touring a few years ago because she was touring with Robert Plant!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've met Allison Krauss - an absolutely cool gal - friendly, smart, talented, and quite nice on the eyes.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I meant no disrespect. I listen to a lot of music, and it is strange that I have never run across Sara K. Before. I'll make a point to familiarize myself with some of her works.

No offense taken at all. I myself didn't know who she was until recently. XT32 and pro has seriously reawakened my interest in acquiring good music. I've been hangin out on the SACD thread, picking up some good tips.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

I've met Allison Krauss - an absolutely cool gal - friendly, smart, talented, and quite nice on the eyes.

And apparently not the jealous type as she hasn't batted an eye over Sara. Great AK concert DVD at a great price here.

Seems to me she is also one of those all-too-rare artists really concerned about SQ and able to exert enough control over the recording process to ensure a high SQ product. It's a good thing even her CDs sound quite good because her SACD prices tend to shoot up way over list.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Liked: 12
After lurking over on the 4810 thread and this one, I finally decided to pull the trigger and get the 4311. My AV budget doesn't allow me to be a new AVR every few years type of person more like once a decade.
I am a die-hard Denon fan, I purchased my first Denon product, a DCD-1560 in 1987, and just like all of my other Denon units, it's still going strong.

So the 4311 will be replacing a bit of a Frankenstein set-up that I have set-up in order to get the latest HD-Codecs to play in my room. I have a Panny DMP-BD85 with its 7.1 analog outs feeding my current AVR-3300's 8-ext. inputs but since it only has 5 amps, I have the rear channels powered by my previous to that AVR, a mid-80's Pioneer VSX-5000.

Last night I was able to get the 4311 in the rack, and run all 8 microphone positions of Audyssey. It was getting pretty late by the time I was finished so I didn't have much time left to play with it, but I watched about 15 minutes of Ratatouille for my first demo.
This is my first experience with an AVR with room correction of any kind and all I can say WOW! The difference is just jaw dropping. The detail, the clarity, all of it. This movie is one of our family's favorites so I've watched it several times before in both regular Dolby Digital and PCM and I was blown away at how much better it sounds now.

My very modest, 17 year old Klipsch speakers have never sounded like this before. I had expected Audyssey to help them out, but not to the extent that it did. I can only imagine what some of you with some really high-end speakers are experiencing.
My only issue I have with the sound is the same that many others here have noticed. The bass seems to be severely lacking now, but I really kind of expected that. My little Klipsch SW-8 has really struggled before in my large room and I'm sure that I have gotten used to some badly bloated bass over the years. Now that it's been tamed by Audyssey, it is almost hardly there at all. Not too surprising considering its size though, so obviously a couple of new decent subs will be the next thing that is needed.

So currently I am at 9.1 with heights instead of wides. I'm not sure that I can incorporate wides in my room because of the limited width (13ft), but after I get the subs squared away I will be doing some experimenting with speaker placement to see if it is possible but there is always the WAF to contend with.

I want to give a big thank you to batpig and jdsmoothie for their very thorough and helpful guides. It made the set-up process go very smoothly and I was able to get terrific results in my first try at Audyssey.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

^Welcome, Brent. Glad you've taken such a well-reasoned step in your HT upgrade and you're reaping such great results. I agree, 2 new subs should be on the Santa list. See what that film soundtrack sounds like with DEQ ON if you haven't tried it yet. It should fill in the bass. ( DVol=off)

Old 12-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:

^Welcome, Brent. Glad you've taken such a well-reasoned step in your HT upgrade and you're reaping such great results. I agree, 2 new subs should be on the Santa list. See what that film soundtrack sounds like with DEQ ON if you haven't tried it yet. It should fill in the bass. ( DVol=off)

Thanks!
Yeah, I didn't have much time last night to play with it other than turning on DSX heights.
When I was exiting the Audyssey setup, it asked me if I wanted Dyn Vol on or off and since it was pretty late and the family was sleeping upstairs, I turned it on.
I've always ran my 3300 "Dynamic Range Compression" in Off mode and never have been a fan of compression in general, but from reading all of the positive posts of DEQ and DVol in this thread, I think I am going to have to play with those a bit. And I probably bump up the sub level a bit too (in the AVR of course).

I think in my wifes opinion, this AVR was my Christmas and maybe even next years birthday present too.
She knows that we have needed a bigger sub for a while now, but after I convinced her that we should buy the 4311 because the 4313 was most likely going to be a good chunk of money more; she made the comment that I had better not start bugging her for a new subwoofer. At least not until after I finished our basement bathroom project. So I guess I had better get working on that for now.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

welcome aboard brent...

keep in mind that dynamic eq and dynamic volume are 2 different things... deq is "good"... dynamic volume is the work of the devil...

and get your carcass down in the basement and start buildng...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Hi,

I need some help with this wonderful receiver.

I want to connect 11.1 speakers to the receiver. The front left and right are connected to a separate amp through the 4311 preamp and the remaining 9 channels connect to the 4311. Is that possible??

I have been looking for this information, but I cannot seem to find it. Please help.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Well you apparently haven't been looking for it in the past few pages of this thread, to which you may refer for more specifics.
Short answer: yes

Old 12-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:

^ Well you apparently haven't been looking for it in the past few pages of this thread, to which you may refer for more specifics.
Short answer: yes

OK, I am embarrassed now.

You are right, the answers are in the last couple of pages, and I feel stupid now.

Oh well, thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Been a fan of Sarah K. and Allison for well over a decade. Obviously, AK has had more commercial success (bluegrass, pop). But, Sara K is every bit as talented, just in a different musical genre (blues, jazz).

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2002 View Post

Hi,

I need some help with this wonderful receiver.

I want to connect 11.1 speakers to the receiver. The front left and right are connected to a separate amp through the 4311 preamp and the remaining 9 channels connect to the 4311. Is that possible??

I have been looking for this information, but I cannot seem to find it. Please help.

newbie2002,

Look at post #13122 in this thread!

...Glenn
Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Update: the Denon 4311ci is available at a very good price again over at Newegg.com

coupone code: DEN1217A

Maybe next weekend's code will be DEN1224A

More info: Link

Again, I am still awaiting to hear what Newegg has to say about warranty. I had them submit a report to check on that 2 years which should be 3 years, but also how they are going to handle warranty related issues if Denon (as of this moment) does not recognize them as authorized dealers. Either someone didn't get the memo over at Denon or there must be some second middle man stuff going on?
denon --> authorized dealer --> newegg.com --> Me
Old 12-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2g_ View Post

Update: the Denon 4311ci is available at a very good price again over at Newegg.com

Again, I am still awaiting to hear what Newegg has to say about warranty. I had them submit a report to check on that 2 years which should be 3 years, but also how they are going to handle warranty related issues if Denon (as of this moment) does not recognize them as authorized dealers. Either someone didn't get the memo over at Denon or there must be some second middle man stuff going on?

I am getting tempted

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Gov - Let me give you a nudge. We watched "Little Fockers" today. Got a 10 on the Rotten Tomatoes meter. BUT - the audio quality of the movie was out of this world.

My wife said it sounded better than Movie Tavern, which is the #1 most advanced theater here in Philly.
---------------------------
By the way, check the Denon Facebook page. Denon states, "...NewEgg is not an authorized E-tailer for Denon. Can you please send us your contact information so we can sort this out? Kindly email it to facebook@denonnj.com Thanks"
Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 PM

So I have an acurus 3 channel amp on loan to test. Its like 10 years old and 3x100 but I noticed a difference immediately with music. The voice is just cleaner in the high range. I am impressed. I also did a little Fast and furious and it also sounded very good.

I will look at more content tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

does anyone have first hand experience with the DeRemote app? I have the free one, but it doesn't seem to work that well.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

keep in mind that dynamic eq and dynamic volume are 2 different things... deq is "good"... dynamic volume is the work of the devil...

Disagree, Dynamic Volume very much has its time and place and serves an important purpose for many of us. Obviously you were being a bit tongue in cheek and Dyn Vol should be turned off when trying to feel the full impact of your fancy HT setup, but it's a blessing of a technology which I use nearly 100% of the time.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Disagree, Dynamic Volume very much has its time and place and serves an important purpose for many of us. Obviously you were being a bit tongue in cheek and Dyn Vol should be turned off when trying to feel the full impact of your fancy HT setup, but it's a blessing of a technology which I use nearly 100% of the time.

+1. I use dynamic evening often as the kids are asleep. Midnight is creepy and near devil work in that it really, really, really compresses dynamics. I do not use it. I even use Daytime every once in a while. I am a fan, borderline fanboy of Dynamic EQ.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2g_ View Post

+1 on getting this info . . . I just ordered one from newegg a few minutes ago with that code . . . Got the coupon discount . . . Decided to take my chances based on some talk on some other threads that it is just an oversight that has not been correct on the Denon site yet . . . In any case, missed the chance last weekend, so because of the discount, decided tonight to pull the trigger anyway . . . Replacing my older Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH because I have a new 3d plasma panel coming Monday and needed to upgrade the receiver.

Please post us if you find out more about the warranty situation.

Thanks

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
Old 12-18-2011, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
can anyone advise if the preamp outputs on this unit are hot enough to drive a emotiva xpa-5. Im thinking about upgrading to this amp from an onkyo 805.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaks38 View Post

can anyone advise if the preamp outputs on this unit are hot enough to drive a emotiva xpa-5. Im thinking about upgrading to this amp from an onkyo 805.

Yes, it will work with the XPA-5
Old 12-18-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

Please post us if you find out more about the warranty situation.

Thanks

no problem
Old 12-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaks38 View Post

Just got my XPA-5 yesterday and it made a world of difference! I am using the 4311Ci as well.

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post

Just got my XPA-5 yesterday and it made a world of difference! I am using the 4311Ci as well.

When you plugged in your XPA-5 did you rerun Audyssey? I ask because I have an XPA-2 and can't say the same. It only makes a slight subjective difference for me when running above -10 MV in stereo music. I have Revel F52 (86dB@6ohms) for my front speakers and sit about 8' - 9' from them in a well treated 18' x 17' room. The 4311 sits just above the XPA-2 connected to the XLR inputs.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:34 AM

This thread is bad for financial health.

I came here looking for info on connecting additional speakers, now I email emotiva asking them for international shipping rates. I need to drive the front three properly.

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon