The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 462 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13831 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
none... at any price...

so this decision is actually easy...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13832 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

The highlighted text only says they pass through "any" warranty. I also note that the sentence before says the products they sell "may" have a warranty.

Either together or alone, that doesn't mean anything, unfortunately, because if the product doesn't have a factory warranty (in the case of the 4311, because newegg is not an authorized seller), there is no warranty. You would be relying on newegg's good graces to make it right.

It is a great deal at their price, but requires acceptance of a little risk if you want a new one for less than A4L sells refurbs.

That's why I suggested getting Newegg's assurance in writing. Verbal assurances mean nothing. If they tell you in writing they're authorized and don't stand behind it, it's fraudulent. Anyway since this is apparently a tired topic and I don't really care where folks buy their stuff I won't comment any more.
post #13833 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post

That's why I suggested getting Newegg's assurance in writing. Verbal assurances mean nothing. If they tell you in writing they're authorized and don't stand behind it, it's fraudulent. Anyway since this is apparently a tired topic and I don't really care where folks buy their stuff I won't comment any more.

Seriously guys..... Can we just start a "how I don't like Newegg because they may or mat not be an official reseller for the 4311 gripe thread"? This is ridiculous.
post #13834 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Liked: 10
So here is a new nugget I uncovered with my 4311...

I've got the tuner/hd-radio bleeding through on my "TV" input. Discovered this a few minutes ago, when the house was quiet, I'm looking up a show on Netflix" (served up via the apps on my TV) and I select "TV" (optical feed from the TV) and I can hear Duran Duran off in the distance... what the? listen pretty close and sure enough, its the local radio station..... but it only comes through on the TV input.... not REALLY loud, but loud enough to notice, and if you crank up the volume its more than loud enough to sing along to and not drown out the music.

sigh......

anyone else have this?
post #13835 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Liked: 13
Gents,

I'm having network connectivity problems. I noticed this tonight when I tried listening to Pandora for the first time in awhile. About a week ago we had a the power go out and pop back on, but all my gear is plugged into a Panamax surge protector.

I've tried various things including a micro processor reset and just unplugging the receiver. No luck. When I go into the menu, the MAC address shows and so does the IP for the receiver. Here's the funny thing though, the IP is not the same IP as it was previously, when I found it and could save my settings, operate it via my laptop, etc.

I've also tried unplugging the network wifi adapter I'm using with the receiver, still no luck.

Now I'm really hosed b/c I can't reload my Audyssey settings.

Anyone have an idea of what is wrong, or what I need to do?
post #13836 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

When you say the yamaha isn't bringing it in regards to its dsp, how so?
I love my 4311 however I am now putting together another HT system in another room. This room would not be the primary HT viewing room so the premium price of the top end receivers isn't really warranted. However, this room is small and odd shaped and would probably need pretty good dsp (where xt32 would help).
When the egg had the A3000 on a closeout sale at half the msrp, it got me to thinking about yamaha.

btw, newegg has the 4311 for 1,249 washington's ending today (1/8) with coupon code DEN0107. Anyone looking to get the 4311 it would be worth a try to get EE, AVS or J&R to price match.

Sometimes the surround backs dont activate through dsp functions. Mind you I have 9 speakers and two subs. I heard a 4311 powering the same speakers I own in a 7.1 setup a few days ago. Night and day difference and left me rather jealous. I had put 98% of my research into speakers thinking the Yamaha will suite me well. Ypoa sucks And that's putting it lightly. The presence speakers do not punch through on movie tracks. 9 channel stereo is awesome, but home theater functions on the 3010 has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth , moreso after hearing the 4311.

So if I can't sell it, I'll move it to my bedroom. But I'm definitely getting a 4311. I won't buy an avr from a non authorized dealer. I can wait until I snag this up for 1299 cigars however. So I'll be calling around and invading your thread for the time being. Still wonder if sirius Internet radio streaming is available on this avr like the Yamaha though.
post #13837 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post

Gents,

I'm having network connectivity problems. I noticed this tonight when I tried listening to Pandora for the first time in awhile. About a week ago we had a the power go out and pop back on, but all my gear is plugged into a Panamax surge protector.

I've tried various things including a micro processor reset and just unplugging the receiver. No luck. When I go into the menu, the MAC address shows and so does the IP for the receiver. Here's the funny thing though, the IP is not the same IP as it was previously, when I found it and could save my settings, operate it via my laptop, etc.

I've also tried unplugging the network wifi adapter I'm using with the receiver, still no luck.

If you have a cable modem and router and unplugged them to reset them during your repair attempts, the 4311 gets assigned a new IP address. Other than that, I can't help you.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #13838 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Gents,

Don't panic yet.

I am not the greatest network geek, but it sounds more like a network issue. The reassigned IP address could be normal as part of DHCP auto assigning addresses after a network reset or upset.

I would really recommend the "did you reboot?" protocol here. Power down all gateways, modems, routers, and switches then power them up from the furthest to the closest to your unit allowing each to fully boot before going to the next.

I have a gateway/router, then two switches to my unit and my receiver has lost connectivity before and this has straightened things out.
post #13839 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:

Gents,

- is the IP that is showing on the 4311 a valid IP for your home network (usually something like 192.168.x.xxx), or is it the default IP address from the processor reset?

- if it is a valid IP, what happens when you try and connect to the 4311 by entering that IP address in a browser?

- if you go to Network Connecting, have you tried hard-coding the Original IP address?

When I have a network connectivity issue, following these steps usually resolves it:

1. Unplug the 4311
2. Unplug the network cable.
3. Plug the 4311 back into the power.
4. Reconnect the network cable.
5. In Network Connecting, make sure DHCP is On.

You can also search this thread for how to do a network reset.
post #13840 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

When I go into the menu, the MAC address shows and so does the IP for the receiver. Here's the funny thing though, the IP is not the same IP as it was previously, when I found it and could save my settings, operate it via my laptop, etc.

What's the address of your laptop and what's the address of your Denon? If the Denon has a valid address or if you disable DHCP and can manually set it to a valid address don't do a network reset.
post #13841 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 PM

Thank you for the help guys, I had tried unplugging the model the AVR is hooked into, but not everything. So I tried unplugging everything, and also Austin Jerry's suggestion to unplug the receiver and ethernet cord from the AVR. Plugged everything in the order suggested, and all is good.

I was able to reload my setting successfully, at least I think. The AVR didn't come back on automatically like the web control said it should, but when i powered it back on automatically, my settings are there, doing the quick Audessey parameter check through the menu.

And Pandora works again, YES!
post #13842 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the help guys, I had tried unplugging the model the AVR is hooked into, but not everything. So I tried unplugging everything, and also Austin Jerry's suggestion to unplug the receiver and ethernet cord from the AVR. Plugged everything in the order suggested, and all is good.

I was able to reload my setting successfully, at least I think. The AVR didn't come back on automatically like the web control said it should, but when i powered it back on automatically, my settings are there, doing the quick Audessey parameter check through the menu.

And Pandora works again, YES!

Regarding what happens at the end of the Load Settings process, my AVR does not turn on. However, as you discovered, if everything looks OK when you power it back up, then the load was successful. I'm glad you are back in business now.
post #13843 of 23511 Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdit View Post

Oh, forgot to mention, my room is long 25'x13', LCR at one end, surrounds mounted on the wall about 9' from the floor on the opposing end, mic is placed within a 2'x1' rectangle in the middle of the room, no furniture blocking other than the sofa, I made sure the mic was always at least 12 inches away from the back cushion. I also made sure that the mic height is right at the center of the main's horns prior to calibration.

IMO there is nothing wrong with those graphs. As SOM noted, your surrounds are quite high meaning that thy are way off axis from the mic and that kind of boosting to the high freq's is EXPECTED given the positioning.

I also suspect that your center channel position may not be optimal -- is it positioned well above or below mic height? The fact that your center is getting a quite different EQ curve than your front L/R is a clue to me that its position may be suboptimal. Again, pics would help.

Also, the fact that you thought the highs were too bright even with your last two Denon AVR's pretty much rules out any "defective mic" or other aberrant behavior specific to the 4311. That's probably just the way Audyssey sounds when it tries to correct your speakers in your room... and you may like a mellower treble with more high freq roll-off than the standard Audyssey curve. Klipsch speakers may not have been the best choice..... but if you don't want to change speakers, and you can't do much more to optimize positioning, you might want to think about the Pro kit since you can select a more agressive high freq roll-off which may suit your ears better.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #13844 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 AM

Can you guys confirm.....

4311 with an XPA-3 running the fronts....

Can I run 9.2 main zone and have the 4311 power a pair of zone 2 speakers? Or will it only pre-out to zone 2 if I am running 9 main zone channels? Can you only use all "11" channels if running all 11 in main zone?
post #13845 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 04:27 AM

batpig and others,
Great post in 13843, and got me thinking about my surrounds. I put them way up high on the wall when I was running my AVR-5700, and now I'm thinking they're too high.

My room has standard height ceilings (10') and the surrounds are probably 9/5' up. Should I lower them to, say, 6'?

Thanks.

(LOVING my 4311!)
post #13846 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop32 View Post

So here is a new nugget I uncovered with my 4311...

I've got the tuner/hd-radio bleeding through on my "TV" input. Discovered this a few minutes ago, when the house was quiet, I'm looking up a show on Netflix" (served up via the apps on my TV) and I select "TV" (optical feed from the TV) and I can hear Duran Duran off in the distance... what the? listen pretty close and sure enough, its the local radio station..... but it only comes through on the TV input.... not REALLY loud, but loud enough to notice, and if you crank up the volume its more than loud enough to sing along to and not drown out the music.

sigh......

anyone else have this?

chop, does this happen when you are passing the audio for "tv" through the avr (i.e. from a set top box connected to the avr then to the tv), or only when using the optical input from the tv feeding back to the avr...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #13847 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop32 View Post

...I've got the tuner/hd-radio bleeding through on my "TV" input....anyone else have this?

I had a similar problem that was related to an unused RCA cable connector touching the back panel and creating some weird little circuit. Check everything in the back carefully. If no joy, reset the microporocessor (after you've saved your custom settings and caibration with Network Web Control "Save".)

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #13848 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

@bobdit...

i think that batpig pretty much nailed it for you in his latest response...

@wilbur...

i personally prefer mine lower... mine are positioned so the tweeters are approximately 1 foot above head level, angled downward so that a direct line from the tweeter hits right above the head of the "farthest away seating position" (i.e. the right surround tweeter is aimed at the head of the person sitting on the left side of thecouch)... they are also approximately 2 feet behind the seating...

i "got to" that spot by experimenting, and it should be noted that's not the same spot i preferred with my previous speakers (which actually worked best angled slightly towards the back of the room, and mounted slightly higher)...

however, note the emphasis on "prefer"... depending on the type of speaker, preference, etc., someone else may have them completely different than i do, and still be "right"...

- chris

post #13849 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

...My room has standard height ceilings (10') and the surrounds are probably 9/5' up. Should I lower them to, say, 6'? Thanks. (LOVING my 4311!)

Yes, that would probably help imaging and envelopement. Surrounds should be 2-3' above seated ear height for HT. Ceiling height is not a determinant AFAIK. I had installed my in-wall Polks way too high up and didn't know what I was missing until I replaced them with far more capable surrounds with better placement.

But in my case, I'm optimizing for MC music, so I now have monopoles placed even lower, about 10" over seated ear height. Sounds quite fine for film as well.

edit: As Chris alludes to, surround placement irt the angle to MLP is another factor. This depends largely on the speaker design (mono/di/bi/tripole), the objective (HT vs MC music) the room limitations and of course personal preference.
LL

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #13850 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Sometimes the surround backs dont activate through dsp functions. Mind you I have 9 speakers and two subs. I heard a 4311 powering the same speakers I own in a 7.1 setup a few days ago. Night and day difference and left me rather jealous. I had put 98% of my research into speakers thinking the Yamaha will suite me well. Ypoa sucks And that's putting it lightly. The presence speakers do not punch through on movie tracks. 9 channel stereo is awesome, but home theater functions on the 3010 has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth , moreso after hearing the 4311.

Thanks for the reply.
Wow, had no idea ypao was that bad. You did a nice test there comparing such similar systems and your result shows what many believe in that xt32 is an incredible "system."
(And yet again, all roads keep pointing me back to getting a second 4311.)
post #13851 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

edit: As Chris alludes to, surround placement irt the angle to MLP is another factor. This depends largely on the speaker design (mono/di/bi/tripole), the objective (HT vs MC music) the room limitations and of course personal preference.

yup... i'd actually like to try mine a bit lower, but they are as low as i can get them now (left surround is blocked by a radiator from going any lower)... the left one is always a bit of a pita for me, there's a window there, so "creative mounting solutions" are called for...

- chris

post #13852 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

batpig and others,
Great post in 13843, and got me thinking about my surrounds. I put them way up high on the wall when I was running my AVR-5700, and now I'm thinking they're too high.

My room has standard height ceilings (10') and the surrounds are probably 9/5' up. Should I lower them to, say, 6'?

Thanks.

(LOVING my 4311!)

Others may have a different opinion, but as long as the speakers are in the 90-115 degree horizontal recommendation, and they are pointed down towards the MLP, I don't think 9.5 ft would be an issue. If they were that high, and pointed out horizontally, you could experience significant high frequency roll-off that Audyssey would try to correct.

Edit: My comments pertain to monopoles. I should have read the other responses before chiming in.
post #13853 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I think I should probably win a prize, or at least hold some kind of record: I bought my 4311 during Thanksgiving of 2010, and I'm just now pulling it out of the box and getting it set up (it's been a busy year and I'm a huge procrastinator). So I'm now trying to determine how I want to set everything up (I have a lot of components), and getting accustomed to the Denon way of doing things (coming from an Onkyo). I understand HDMI, digital audio, component video, and multichannel audio inputs are assignable, while the legacy analog a/v inputs are not. I'm trying to determine the best stacking plan, and what my available inputs really are. It's a huge, HUGE PITA to get to the back of my components, so I'm trying to get it right before putting it all back together.

I'm looking at the screen cap on page 82 of the manual, using that as somewhat of a guide of what's available. But I notice that "Dock" isn't shown as a choice there. Is it simply because the screen needs to be scrolled, or is there some hidden message there that "Dock" isn't assignable like the other a/v inputs, and is somehow locked to iPod usage? Of does this constitute an "eighth" a/v input that I can connect my LD player to?

And IF I this is an extra input I can configure like the others, is this input matrix template accurate? I would use this to fill in what is connected to what.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #13854 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
^^
Yes, it is assignable like the other inputs. Your link doesn't work for me so no comment there.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #13855 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! Link should be fixed. A secondary question (not major, easily worked around, but curious): from what I understand, the multichannel (ext in) audio inputs are assignable, but does stacking with another component using analog L/R inputs work? Will it "switch" between analog F/R and the Multichannel F/R depending on which one is on? I would think not... I wouldn't think it would be able to differentiate between off and on but silent.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #13856 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

IMO there is nothing wrong with those graphs. As SOM noted, your surrounds are quite high meaning that thy are way off axis from the mic and that kind of boosting to the high freq's is EXPECTED given the positioning.

I also suspect that your center channel position may not be optimal -- is it positioned well above or below mic height? The fact that your center is getting a quite different EQ curve than your front L/R is a clue to me that its position may be suboptimal. Again, pics would help.

Also, the fact that you thought the highs were too bright even with your last two Denon AVR's pretty much rules out any "defective mic" or other aberrant behavior specific to the 4311. That's probably just the way Audyssey sounds when it tries to correct your speakers in your room... and you may like a mellower treble with more high freq roll-off than the standard Audyssey curve. Klipsch speakers may not have been the best choice..... but if you don't want to change speakers, and you can't do much more to optimize positioning, you might want to think about the Pro kit since you can select a more agressive high freq roll-off which may suit your ears better.

I would agree with batpig and the others about the placement of the speakers with the relation to what Audyssey is doing to try and EQ them.

My room is approx. 13' x 33' (open to another 15' x 15' room) and currently I am running Klipsch speakers in a 9.1 (heights) configuration. All of the speakers are at close to optimal positioning EXCEPT for my L&R surrounds which due to a mounting limitation are about 4 feet above MLP and are not angled down at all. My Audyssey EQ graphs are good except for these two speakers which are maxed out in the treble areas (much worse than yours). I attribute this to their placement and that they are not angled down at all.

When I have some time, I plan on temporarily repositioning them to a more ideal level and or angle and re-running Audyssey to see what the EQ looks like, but I have a feeling I already know what the results will be.

Early on in this thread, Seattle and others found that XT32 seemed to be more sensitive to speaker alignment and microphone placement than previous versions and by carefully aiming the speakers toward the MLP along with tightening up the area of the microphone placement closer to the MLP during Audyssey set-up, the results were noticeably better.

I have had my Klipsch speakers for nearly 18 years now, so I am very used to their sound and Audyssey in the 4311 has made a drastic improvement in them in my room over my previous Denon (AVR-3300) that didn't have any room correction technology at all. If anything, I think that Audyssey has actually tamed my speakers treble a bit as they have a much more balanced and richer sound to them now.
I have had the itch to get new speakers for a few years now, but with the results I am getting with this 4311, I feel much better about keeping them for a little while longer.
post #13857 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

chop, does this happen when you are passing the audio for "tv" through the avr (i.e. from a set top box connected to the avr then to the tv), or only when using the optical input from the tv feeding back to the avr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I had a similar problem that was related to an unused RCA cable connector touching the back panel and creating some weird little circuit. Check everything in the back carefully. If no joy, reset the microporocessor (after you've saved your custom settings and caibration with Network Web Control "Save".)

only when using the optical output back from the tv.

Nothing else from the tv is connected to the AVR (thats another long story, I've got a ground loop from my cable box so it stays disconnected from the tv while the AVR is connected to it, but i've got an isolating transformer on the way to solve that).

hmmmm.... now that I think about it... I unplug the main HDMI out from the AVR to the TV when this happens (see reason above). Will try unplugging that cable from the AVR and see if I still get the radio bleed through.
post #13858 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 AM

Nope, that didnt do it.

damnit.

now its time to call up Denon... again... and see about getting this fixed.

While I love the 4311, i'm getting pretty tired of MY 4311 giving me trouble.
post #13859 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

hmmm... what's odd is that it doesn't happen on any other sources, which is leading me to believe that it's the tv causing the issue, not the avr...

thinking about it....

- chris

post #13860 of 23511 Old 01-09-2012, 11:05 AM

Well, I just did a microprocessor reset and it went away.

I did have to call Denon, I forgot the process and couldnt find it in the owners manual.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page