The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 543 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16261 of 23567 Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I would think it depends on the space to take advantage of the extra resolution in the XT32 vs XT. Also, I am using external amplification so the advantage in amplification is not relevant in my case. I am expecting the 4311 to at least sound as good or better when I configure it with one sub.

But I can conclude that the two sub equalization did not work in my case. I have both subs between the fronts and the center. It may sound better if I move them around but I don't have that flexibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

^^^
Wow. My 4311 sounds a LOT better than my old 7005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16262 of 23567 Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

Back to the question I am trying to get answered....is there anyway to use an external 7 channel amplifier and the internal height and wide channels in 11.2 mode...and also control a second zone with 4 speakers using the other four channels internally ?

There are 9 internal amps. Five of those are permanently assigned to the 5 main channels (front left/right, center, surround left/right), even if you decide to use the preamp outputs to your external amp for those channels. The other 4 channels have some amount of flexibility for assignment, but definitely can't do what you're looking for as you would need to be able to freely assign 8 built-in amplifier channels if I'm understanding you correctly (2 for height, 2 for width, and 4 for zone 2).
post #16263 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
http://peteswrite.bl...denons-new.html

Just got this off a website, probably the first to report this new Denon flagship AV amplifier - looks mighty impressive on paper at least.
Quote:

1 April 2012

Denon Japan

Denon Launches new Flagship AV amplifier in Asia-Pacific - the replacement for the 4810, 4311 and AVC 1 - The AVR - 5113 aka - "Inakamono" 100th year APE (Asian Pacific Edition)

Denon signals it's recovery from the hiatus in new models with this flagship model which replaces three models at once, and introduces key new features in a new model which is the long expect replacement for the older 5xxx, 48xx and also the 43xx series, which have been soldering on due to damages to it's Fukushima facility as a result of the recent earthquake / tsunami twin disasters to hit Japan.

Dubbed fondly the Inakamono by it's R & D, this model promises a return to audiophile roots, whilst embracing several new important features, which have the Asian and in particular the Australian and NZ market in mind, which has long been overlooked by the USA and Europe ones.

This model will come in a silver-champagne blend, but the first 1000 will be available in more radical colors like Ferrari Red, Sake Brown, and Imperial Yellow as part of the 100th anniversary of Denon.

Key features:

Interface improvements:

- RS 232 port for installer and THX standards
- a new totally re-designed remote, with alpha-numeric keyboard on one side and a touch screen on the other, in addition to the standard remote, which is radio frequency allowing operation from another room (ala Bose)
- Apple lossless compatibility as well as Airplay function as standard with a iTunes-esque on screen menu

Power:

- Full 11.2 channel compatibility with 180W per channel time 11, all channels driven simultaneously
- Radical new power section with digital amplifier modules - Digital Universal Mono-Blocks ® which allow for 2 ohm function, lower weight and less cooling required and a resultant reduction in weight
- ability to tri-amp and power 2 ohm power hungry speakers (engineers at Fukushima have tested the amplifier on Electrostatic speakers)
- a special battery mode for brown outs and also for better sound quality - the amp has a patented Denon Brownout Special(BS) Auxiliary power mode that allows functioning in the event of outages, but more importantly for the fanatical audiophile, the option of an external battery power option which decreases any distortion due to an onboard power supply

Audiophile:

- MM and MC phono input as standard
- Merino Wool shielded circuits to decrease electrical interference
Researchers at Denon have found that Wool has even higher shielding properties compared to metallic compounds, and with the new Digital power amp section running cooler, Denon has been able to incorporate the finest Australian Merino Wool into a special weave which will shield sensitive areas of the amplifier
- a replacement for the Denon Link is now in it's first iteration.
The new Fullrange Optical Overscan Link © has been touted to have a tenth of the distortion of the Denon Link cables, and allows for clock sync and jitter to be reduced to a never heard of 0.00001 %.
- 1 inch thick aluminum alloy casing for the minimal interference
Using the same material used to make aeroplane wings, Denon has been able to make the entire lower chassis of the amplifier from a single aluminum monoblock - ala Macbook Pro laptops.

Video:

- on screen display in 3D
- new video chip developed in house which allows for the ability to convert existing video and audio into a 3-dimensional experience. The Pseudo Interactive Sight & Sound ® (PISS) Chip is a radical new technology that challenges the frontier of 3D enhancement.

Denon Owner program:

- as a special reward to patient Denon fans who have been waiting for the longest time for this, there will be a Customer Harmony Experience Active Program Offer (CHEAPO) which will allow for previous Denon owners to bid at a price that they consider worthy for this new amplifier.

Barring any new disasters, this new model should be out in shops by April 31st. Pre-orders can be placed with your nearest Audiophile dealers now.

My gear & my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16264 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
wow that sounds one amazing receiver

betting it will be v.expensive though !
post #16265 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^^

aha -lol - just realised what day it is !!

I should have got it with the "BS" Aux Power Mode and the "Merino Woll"

petetherock - 10/10
post #16266 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

^^

aha -lol - just realised what day it is !!

I should have got it with the "BS" Aux Power Mode and the "Merino Wool"

petetherock - 10/10

Digital Universal Mono-Block...
Fullrange Optical Overscan Link...
And google "Inakamono"...
Have a blessed day

My gear & my blog:

post #16267 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

FINALLY found a setting that sounds great to me - EQ wise

Audyssey + Treble - 2 : just didn't quite sound right - some of the mid-uppers felt constrained

Audyssey + ToneOFF + Cinema-EQ On - a bit too warm

Audyssey Flat + ToneOFF + Cinema-EQ On = fantastic

so obviously the Cinema-EQ curve is more suited to what I'm trying to achieve than the Treble tone curve

post #16268 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:

so obviously the Cinema-EQ curve is more suited to what I'm trying to achieve than the Treble tone curve

Not owning a Denon, yet, I don't know for sure what Denon Cinema EQ does, but if it's anything like Pioneer's X-Curve or THX processing, it may roll off the highs by several db, which is what it sounds like you were after. That's what X-Curve did anyway

It's roll off slope may be more pleasing to you in your room that just a Treble tone control at a fixed frequency and Q (width).

Steve
post #16269 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post

Deciding between the SR7005 and the denon avr-4311ci. I have two subs but I usually run 1 sub so decided to give the 4311ci a try. I have external amps so I don't care about the the wattage difference. I don't have the flexibility to move the subs around so I thought the SR7005 with one sub sounded better than the 4311ci with two subs (after 6 hours of a/b comparisons). The SR7005 sounds better with one sub than it does with two subs...

Are the two subs the same model? If not, it is trickier to get good results and you would almost surely need to be able to move them around.

I will preface my next statements with:
No slight intended, as I don't know how familiar you are with HT equipment and with these models in particular.

But to do a proper and fair comparison, one needs to be very careful with the myriad settings to be sure they are the same in both units (same xovers, no DEQ or DVol in either, same listening mode, etc., etc.) and do level-matched comparisons of familiar quality material. Of particular importance in this case is that Audyssey/autosetup be properly done on both units, i.e., closely following the SetupGuide. Note that XT32 walks you through the two-sub setup and you can copy those settings for XT (there is a special section of the guide for XT 2-sub setup). Note that one has to do autosetup again when adding or removing subs and the full 8 positions are recommended.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #16270 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Video:

- on screen display in 3D
- new video chip developed in house which allows for the ability to convert existing video and audio into a 3-dimensional experience. The Pseudo Interactive Sight & Sound ® (PISS) Chip is a radical new technology that challenges the frontier of 3D enhancement.

One can only hope that there is a trickle down effect and the new PISS chip is found in future lower end models.

post #16271 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

FINALLY found a setting that sounds great to me - EQ wise

Audyssey + Treble - 2 : just didn't quite sound right - some of the mid-uppers felt constrained

Audyssey + ToneOFF + Cinema-EQ On - a bit too warm

Audyssey Flat + ToneOFF + Cinema-EQ On = fantastic

I thought Audyssey shuts off when you use the tone controls???

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #16272 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

nope - well not on my 4311 anyway

it does if you use any of the Audyssey Dynamic EQ though - but you can use Tone Controls and/or Cinema-EQ with both stock Auydssey and Auyssey Flat
post #16273 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 07:09 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:

Only Audyssey Dyn EQ/Vol must be disabled .... Audyssey can still remain enabled.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #16274 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 AM

I have two identical subs (DSW Pro 600) however, they never sounded good together for some reason. I followed the guide and did audyssey with 8 points. Yesterday, I reran audyssey on the 4311ci with one sub. It sounded great overall except I still think there may be a tad bit more bass with the sr7005. Every thing else was superior with the 4311.

The issue that I am having right now is the dc trigger output does not seem to work on the 4311, I measured it with a multimeter and it looks like the voltage difference was always 0 whether it was on or off. On the marantz, it was 12 when on and 0 when off. I set every option to on in the trigger 1 / 2 settings. Anything I could be missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Are the two subs the same model? If not, it is trickier to get good results and you would almost surely need to be able to move them around.

I will preface my next statements with:
No slight intended, as I don't know how familiar you are with HT equipment and with these models in particular.

But to do a proper and fair comparison, one needs to be very careful with the myriad settings to be sure they are the same in both units (same xovers, no DEQ or DVol in either, same listening mode, etc., etc.) and do level-matched comparisons of familiar quality material. Of particular importance in this case is that Audyssey/autosetup be properly done on both units, i.e., closely following the SetupGuide. Note that XT32 walks you through the two-sub setup and you can copy those settings for XT (there is a special section of the guide for XT 2-sub setup). Note that one has to do autosetup again when adding or removing subs and the full 8 positions are recommended.

post #16275 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:

remember "Audyssey" is not one, monolithic entity, there are multiple different technologies (four on the 4311). Only Dyn EQ (and Dyn Vol by extension since it works on top of Dyn EQ) is incompatible with the tone controls, since Dyn EQ is doing its own freq response manipulation.

Audyssey MultEQ (room correction) and DSX are fully compatible with tone controls if you wish to avoid the dynamic tone compensation of Dyn EQ.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #16276 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
^^
Thanks for explaining this. Always more to learn.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #16277 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have two identical subs (DSW Pro 600) however, they never sounded good together for some reason.
Very odd about your two subs, but they are kinda unique. My old Polk PSW10 was pretty straightforward but I only had one. I wonder if there's something on running 2 of them on a Polk thread somewhere...

I followed the guide and did audyssey with 8 points. Yesterday, I reran audyssey on the 4311ci with one sub. It sounded great overall except I still think there may be a tad bit more bass with the sr7005. Every thing else was superior with the 4311.
That all sounds quite credible. XT is probably not able to smooth the bass quite as much as XT32 and uncorrected room peaks often translate to our ears as getting "more bass". You can always trim up the sub channel to your preference.

The issue that I am having right now is the dc trigger output does not seem to work on the 4311, I measured it with a multimeter and it looks like the voltage difference was always 0 whether it was on or off. On the marantz, it was 12 when on and 0 when off. I set every option to on in the trigger 1 / 2 settings. Anything I could be missing?

OM p. 105 gives the trigger setup in Denonese. I'm not sure I can explain what settings I set, but it works for me everytime to trigger on my XPA5. You want it set for Main Zone, but no other "activate for", right? BTW, just to be sure, it is a mono (not stereo) minijack connector.

post #16278 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 13
OK, quick question, I apologize if it has been discussed before. I tried searching but answer did not jump out at me.

I recently switched out my projector for an Epson 5010 to try out 3d. I found out my existing 35' HDMI cable run from 4 yrs ago does not carry a 3d signal. Added a belkin wireless HDMI set up between the Denon 4311 and the Epson 5010, and seemed to work well. Occassionally I notice some interference which I believe is being caused by some of our other 5hz devices (phone and wifi). So I want to run wired and wireless HDMI parallel from the 4311 to the 5010, and only use the wireless for 3d.

So I went ahead and made the connections, but don't seem to be able to switch between the inputs. Ideally I would simply switch from HDMI1 to HDMI2 on the projector when ready to watch 3D, and back to HDMI1 for 2D. It seems like I have to power cycle the projector and the denon to switch between inputs. Am I missing something. Is any one else running dual HDMI set up without issue?

Thanks for any insights?
post #16279 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 PM

^^^
Did you consider using a repeater or replacing the existing cable instead of the wireless solution? This way you will have one cable instead of 2. You can use a switch before the projector as a last resort.

I recently switched to a 3d projector (Benq W7000) and I did not have an issue with switching inputs.

post #16280 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys, been over 3 months since I got this receiver. For some reason today there is no video on NET/USB, DVD, GAME input, although there is audio. I tried resetting microprocessor, unplug power on everything, etc... no luck. The only input I can get video on is SAT/CABLE.

As a last resort, I changed the HMDI cable from Monitor 1 to Monitor 2, and then switched to Monitor 2 using the remote, everything is working again.

Is there button on the remote that was hit accidentally to cause this? how do I get Monitor 1 to work normal again?

Thanks in advance
B
post #16281 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 04:37 PM

That is what I have done but it never worked. My cables were working fine with the SR7005 and the SR8001 before it. I must have received a defective unit. It was an open box item. That must have been why it was returned to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

OM p. 105 gives the trigger setup in Denonese. I'm not sure I can explain what settings I set, but it works for me everytime to trigger on my XPA5. You want it set for Main Zone, but no other "activate for", right? BTW, just to be sure, it is a mono (not stereo) minijack connector.

post #16282 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is what I have done but it never worked. My cables were working fine with the SR7005 and the SR8001 before it. I must have received a defective unit. It was an open box item. That must have been why it was returned to them.

That could be. Did you do a reset the microprocessor procedure? We recommend doing that first thing one on any demo/OB item as it has solved many a weird problem. BTW, if you like your calibration, save it using Network Control and then reload it after the reset.

post #16283 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

^^^
Did you consider using a repeater or replacing the existing cable instead of the wireless solution? This way you will have one cable instead of 2. You can use a switch before the projector as a last resort.

I recently switched to a 3d projector (Benq W7000) and I did not have an issue with switching inputs.

My existing HDMI cable run consists of a 25 ft HDMI coupled to a 10 ft HDMI using a monoprice repeater/booster. I believe the monoprice repeater is the primary reason 3D won't pass through the old set up. Replacing the HDMI cable at this point would be a major pain which is why I went with the wireless HDMI as a work around. If I can't get consistent performance over wireless, I will need to revisit repalcing the HDMI hard line.
post #16284 of 23567 Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treads View Post

My existing HDMI cable run consists of a 25 ft HDMI coupled to a 10 ft HDMI using a monoprice repeater/booster. I believe the monoprice repeater is the primary reason 3D won't pass through the old set up. Replacing the HDMI cable at this point would be a major pain which is why I went with the wireless HDMI as a work around. If I can't get consistent performance over wireless, I will need to revisit repalcing the HDMI hard line.

I have tried 2 wireless HDMI solutions, one with Monoprice equipment. I will not wax poetic...... It don't work... Far too many handshake issues. You are back to you POA solution. Sorry man.
post #16285 of 23567 Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 AM

I am wondering if anybody who has this AVR, has also had/heard the much older Pioneer VSX-1014TX (or similar model).

Before I pull the trigger, I would like to have your opinion on how they compare in terms of SQ (stereo, music).

Obvious or subtle improvement without Audyssey engaged?
post #16286 of 23567 Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makutaku View Post

I am wondering if anybody who has this AVR, has also had/heard the much older Pioneer VSX-1014TX (or similar model).

Before I pull the trigger, I would like to have your opinion on how they compare in terms of SQ (stereo, music).

well I had a VSX-2011 (similar-ish- slightly higher range)

without Audyssey slightly better

with Audyssey enabled - far better

YMMV
post #16287 of 23567 Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by makutaku View Post

I had a 1014 for about four years before passing it around to my brother and now a friend. I have nothing but good things to say about the 1014, but the 4311 is better in every aspect that matters. I still like the look of the 1014 more, but that doesnt make the speakers sound any better.
post #16288 of 23567 Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:

well I had a VSX-2011 (similar-ish- slightly higher range)

without Audyssey slightly better

with Audyssey enabled - far better

YMMV

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am deciding between upgrading the AVR (which doesn't have any HDMI and has noise issues on volume greater than -10) or the center channel (one of my Ascend 170 bookshelf).

My room is treated, so I don't know how much Audyssey will actually help.
post #16289 of 23567 Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy View Post

I have tried 2 wireless HDMI solutions, one with Monoprice equipment. I will not wax poetic...... It don't work... Far too many handshake issues. You are back to you POA solution. Sorry man.

Not all wireless HDMI products are equal.
Skip the 5Ghz ones (if for no other reason than they use h264 in order to fit a 1080p signal into the available bandwidth and thus will degrade picture quality) and go with a 60Ghz model. I have a $200 rocketfish model that has been rock-solid for 3 months - it runs direct line of site for 25ft.

Note that rocketfish has both 5Ghz and 60Ghz models, make sure that whatever you buy is 60Ghz.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #16290 of 23567 Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

There are 9 internal amps. Five of those are permanently assigned to the 5 main channels (front left/right, center, surround left/right), even if you decide to use the preamp outputs to your external amp for those channels. The other 4 channels have some amount of flexibility for assignment, but definitely can't do what you're looking for as you would need to be able to freely assign 8 built-in amplifier channels if I'm understanding you correctly (2 for height, 2 for width, and 4 for zone 2).

Thank you I didn't realize the traditional 5 channels of surround were locked in.
I actually hooked up the wides last night and couldn't believe the amount of information that came out of them. Overall I was extremely impressed and as a result have decided to use my 7 channel sherbourn for all 7 front channels (L/C/R/FW's/FH's) and the internal amplifiction for the two surrounds and two rears. I believe now I can assign either a front height or front wide channel to a second zone, correct?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page