The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 544 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks for the tip. I will try again with 2 subs. I will double check everything is identical. and I will move it so that the center of each sub is at the 1/4th of the room width away from the corner.

One more question, is it normal for the 4311 to have a low humming noise coming out of the receiver ( not the speakers) or is it supposed to be completely silent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

That could be. Did you do a reset the microprocessor procedure? We recommend doing that first thing one on any demo/OB item as it has solved many a weird problem. BTW, if you like your calibration, save it using Network Control and then reload it after the reset.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
^^^^

Mine has a slight electrical hum if you put your ear close to the receiver.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ciao,
Waht is the "cinema eq" does in surround parameters? Isn't that what the Audyssey Curve is for? Audyssey for cinema, Audysey Flat for music?

Is it advisable to enable Audyssey and Cinema EQ at the same time? They seem to be selectable and not mutually exclusive?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

Thank you I didn't realize the traditional 5 channels of surround were locked in.
I actually hooked up the wides last night and couldn't believe the amount of information that came out of them. Overall I was extremely impressed and as a result have decided to use my 7 channel sherbourn for all 7 front channels (L/C/R/FW's/FH's) and the internal amplifiction for the two surrounds and two rears. I believe now I can assign either a front height or front wide channel to a second zone, correct?

Yeah, I think that's correct.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:

I believe now I can assign either a front height or front wide channel to a second zone, correct?

You'll have to use another external amp with the Zone 2 preouts.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Beale View Post

Ciao,
Waht is the "cinema eq" does in surround parameters? Isn't that what the Audyssey Curve is for? Audyssey for cinema, Audysey Flat for music?

Is it advisable to enable Audyssey and Cinema EQ at the same time? They seem to be selectable and not mutually exclusive?

Cinema EQ is essentially an older version of the same concept, incorporating a high freq roll-off to take the "edge" off of harsh cinema soundtracks for translation into the home environment. It's really a legacy technology now that Audyssey is available with the "reference" EQ curve which also incorporates a high freq roll-off.

You can use them at the same time but I would only do so if you find the high freq's to be especially harsh.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdit View Post

hey guys, been over 3 months since I got this receiver. For some reason today there is no video on NET/USB, DVD, GAME input, although there is audio. I tried resetting microprocessor, unplug power on everything, etc... no luck. The only input I can get video on is SAT/CABLE.

As a last resort, I changed the HMDI cable from Monitor 1 to Monitor 2, and then switched to Monitor 2 using the remote, everything is working again.

Is there button on the remote that was hit accidentally to cause this? how do I get Monitor 1 to work normal again?

Thanks in advance
B

Old 04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If unpugging the AVR for a few minutes as well as doing a microprocessor reset didn't restore functionality to Monitor Out 1, you could try a network reset (press/hold UP/DOWN arrow keys under front panel flap while powering on the AVR as in a microprocessor reset). If still no joy, give Denon a call.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 04-02-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
If unpugging the AVR for a few minutes as well as doing a microprocessor reset didn't restore functionality to Monitor Out 1, you could try a network reset (press/hold UP/DOWN arrow keys under front panel flap while powering on the AVR as in a microprocessor reset). If still no joy, give Denon a call.

Speaking of drop-outs, I was watching a DVD Saturday on my Oppo, left the AVR on standby, but lost audio when I replaced the DVD with Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here BluRay last night. There was no drop-out when I switched to TiVo on component, but still no BD audio afterward. Ultimately I got the audio back with a simple on/off power cycle, but I'm curious if anyone else is getting HDMI related audio drops on other sources with the current 4311 firmware.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Speaking of drop-outs, I was watching a DVD Saturday on my Oppo, left the AVR on standby, but lost audio when I replaced the DVD with Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here BluRay last night. There was no drop-out when I switched to TiVo on component, but still no BD audio afterward. Ultimately I got the audio back with a simple on/off power cycle, but I'm curious if anyone else is getting HDMI related audio drops on other sources with the current 4311 firmware.

I get the occasional dropout on my DirecTV audio. I switch inputs and the problem goes away. Don't know if it is the 4311 or the DVR, but it hasn't been frequent enough to cause a concern.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You'll have to use another external amp with the Zone 2 preouts.

You mean in order to get 4 speakers for zone 2 as was my original plan in my original question? I think I am just going to use two speakers in zone 2 now since I really can't freely assign amps to any speakers. Listening to the wide channels really changed my thinking. Now I think it's best to use the 200x 7 Sherbourn for the full array of front speakers. I watched a few scenes from Avatar tonight and I couldn't believe how much the wides add. I highly recommend them.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 AM
585-645-1006

^^
To get 2 or 4 speakers in Zone 2 as you used up the max 11 channels already.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Cinema EQ is essentially an older version of the same concept, incorporating a high freq roll-off to take the "edge" off of harsh cinema soundtracks for translation into the home environment. It's really a legacy technology now that Audyssey is available with the "reference" EQ curve which also incorporates a high freq roll-off.

You can use them at the same time but I would only do so if you find the high freq's to be especially harsh.

Thanks BP,

I did try online search but I found not a good explanation. That helped a lot. So basically I ignore this one and stick with audyssey Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Ciao,
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
family was out this morning so decided to run full 8 mic calibration in a quiet house ... took me about 1/2 an hour as was using a proper stand etc ...

and look at the results ....what the heck ? Note centre was "fine" had cal - same as left front - but the others ...???

any ideas??

all results are flat apart from front left, and centre

I ran all 8 positions, I let calculate complete and I let it "store"

Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

double post for some reason- sorry
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

looks like a glitch. I would reset the microprocessor and try again.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

looks like a glitch. I would reset the microprocessor and try again.

will do - thanks -this is my 5th or so attempt at Audyssey cal - all others (6 positions or less) have been fine (all be it toooo bright for me) -this is first time I've tried 8 positions ....

is the reset microprocessor command in the manual ? - just off to check now

just wondered if anyone else had seen this "glitch"
Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've never seen that one before.

One "hack" you could try to tame the brightness during calibration is to make sure the tip of the mic is below the tweeter height, and then tilt the mic forward slightly. The mic is designed for grazing incidence, and tilting it forward a bit will obviously cause it to hear more high freq energy than if it were pointing straight up at the ceiling. This is not at all part of the Audyssey "orthodoxy" but it's a viable option if you want to trick the system into not boosting the highs of the front speakers as much.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never seen that one before.

One "hack" you could try to tame the brightness during calibration is to make sure the tip of the mic is below the tweeter height, and then tilt the mic forward slightly. The mic is designed for grazing incidence, and tilting it forward a bit will obviously cause it to hear more high freq energy than if it were pointing straight up at the ceiling. This is not at all part of the Audyssey "orthodoxy" but it's a viable option if you want to trick the system into not boosting the highs of the front speakers as much.

thanks - problem is the rears are even worse .... (brightness/EQ boost to treble) so that may improve fronts but make rears worse

odd thing is - even with flat EQ (Audyssey completely off) the centre speaker sounds pretty scratchy - lispy best way to describe it -and reducing EQ at 4, 8 and 16khz removes some but not all of it - it must be inherent to way amp is driving (or not) my centre
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

thanks - problem is the rears are even worse .... (brightness/EQ boost to treble) so that may improve fronts but make rears worse

odd thing is - even with flat EQ (Audyssey completely off) the centre speaker sounds pretty scratchy - lispy best way to describe it -and reducing EQ at 4, 8 and 16khz removes some but not all of it - it must be inherent to way amp is driving (or not) my centre

I have noticed that as well about the 4311CI...it doesn't seem as "airy," "delicate," and "silky" with treble as my older AVR (Sunfire Ultimate Receiver) that was used in the same room with the same speakers, etc. Not terrible but noticeable enough. Stopping the explicit boosting of treble via the pro kit solved 95% of that concern for me, but I still prefer the sound of my twice as expensive Sunfire in the treble registers only. However, the Denon bests the Sunfire in every other way, and I would never even consider going back to the 10 year old model to serve as the heart of my music/theater setup.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandy1000rl View Post

I have noticed that as well about the 4311CI...it doesn't seem as "airy," "delicate," and "silky" with treble as my older AVR (Sunfire Ultimate Receiver) that was used in the same room with the same speakers, etc. Not terrible but noticeable enough. Stopping the explicit boosting of treble via the pro kit solved 95% of that concern for me, but I still prefer the sound of my twice as expensive Sunfire in the treble registers only. However, the Denon bests the Sunfire in every other way, and I would never even consider going back to the 10 year old model to serve as the heart of my music/theater setup.

my previous AVR was also an old Flagship (a Pioneer) and whilst that was touted as being a very bright sounding AVR - it was more "open" than bright - I didnt get a brittle sound.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Are you using the internal amps? I noticed the same thing and decided to try an external amp....I'm hoping it tames the harshness.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 PM

I am a "previous" owner of a 4311, as I have returned it due to locking-up of the unit. I would ask if anyone else has had these issues?

The set-up is with a HTPC using an ATI 5670 card, and only Cable TV on the other HDMI input. The 4311 is set to "control" HDMI stand-by, and input set to "last". The PC has "exclusivity mode" checked in the advanced properties.

If I have the HTPC displayed through the 4311 on the TV, and then shut-down the 4311, the unit takes 5 seconds and then returns with TV displayed. I then go to turn on 4311 and "Denon" screen comes up on HTPC input(BD in this case). The first workaround was to hit the "Quick Select BD" button, as the regular "BD" input button did nothing. I basically needed to return to a different input "Cable,DVD,Game,etc.) in order to get back to a functioning HTPC input. While this worked, it could not be understood by wife and kids.

So next I set the stand-by input to BD(HTPC) as default. This helped if I shut-down 4311 in BD mode, but if I shut it down in USB/NET mode, and turn 4311 back on, the TV goes black but BD is displayed as input on TV. This also locks up the receiver consistently. I need to unplug to reset. It is unresponsive to remote or front panel commands. And yes, I reset network and uProcessor many times...

I really liked this receiver, and would like to buy again (I did buy from EE for the 1299 and they were awesome at taking it back and return label shipping),but it seems incompatible with my HTPC for some reason. I spoke with Denon and they blamed Microsoft for not maintaining EDID properly. It does seem like a "handshake" issue. I wish HDMI was dumbed down a bit to aviod this crap. The CEC is turned off on the TV also, and I do not have any problems going direct into the Samsung TV

Onkyo TX-NR708
Polk Rt-25i x 4
CSI-30 x 2
PSW-350 x 2
Windows Ultimate 64bit
WMC-7
Samsung 58" Plasma
Old 04-03-2012, 01:06 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksAVR View Post

I am a "previous" owner of a 4311, as I have returned it due to locking-up of the unit. I would ask if anyone else has had these issues?

The set-up is with a HTPC using an ATI 5670 card, and only Cable TV on the other HDMI input. The 4311 is set to "control" HDMI stand-by, and input set to "last". The PC has "exclusivity mode" checked in the advanced properties.

If I have the HTPC displayed through the 4311 on the TV, and then shut-down the 4311, the unit takes 5 seconds and then returns with TV displayed. I then go to turn on 4311 and "Denon" screen comes up on HTPC input(BD in this case). The first workaround was to hit the "Quick Select BD" button, as the regular "BD" input button did nothing. I basically needed to return to a different input "Cable,DVD,Game,etc.) in order to get back to a functioning HTPC input. While this worked, it could not be understood by wife and kids.

So next I set the stand-by input to BD(HTPC) as default. This helped if I shut-down 4311 in BD mode, but if I shut it down in USB/NET mode, and turn 4311 back on, the TV goes black but BD is displayed as input on TV. This also locks up the receiver consistently. I need to unplug to reset. It is unresponsive to remote or front panel commands. And yes, I reset network and uProcessor many times...

I really liked this receiver, and would like to buy again (I did buy from EE for the 1299 and they were awesome at taking it back and return label shipping),but it seems incompatible with my HTPC for some reason. I spoke with Denon and they blamed Microsoft for not maintaining EDID properly. It does seem like a "handshake" issue. I wish HDMI was dumbed down a bit to aviod this crap. The CEC is turned off on the TV also, and I do not have any problems going direct into the Samsung TV

Onkyo TX-NR708
Polk Rt-25i x 4
CSI-30 x 2
PSW-350 x 2
Windows Ultimate 64bit
WMC-7
Samsung 58" Plasma

Not sure what you have in your HTPC for a graphics card, but 3 possible solutions are:

1) Try using an EDID override (there are a couple of threads on this in the HTPC forum).
2) Upgrade to a newer graphics card. At least with ATI cards, people are running into fewer issues with this with 6xxx series and newer video cards.
3) Install a Gefen HDMI Detective between the HTPC and the Denon. This will trick the PC into thinking it's always connected to the Denon and prevent it from losing its mind.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Are you using the internal amps? I noticed the same thing and decided to try an external amp....I'm hoping it tames the harshness.

Actually I'm using the FL, C, & FR pre-outs of the 4311CI to feed the 7.1 channel direct inputs of the Sunfire AVR (because my FL & FR speakers are 4 ohm) and I still notice it. I was actually hoping the reverse, that using the internal amps would resolve the treble a bit by shortening the path. I should try this at some point.

Don't agree that the 4311CI is "harsh", once I got the treble boost in check, but rather it's just more sibilant than the Sunfire. Like the S's are smeared just slightly and cymbals sound a little more mp3-like when the Denon is involved vs. the Sunfire by itself.

True that if the 4311 aggressively boosts the treble, and runs out of headroom, a clipped treble can sound very harsh and distorted indeed.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

Not all wireless HDMI products are equal.
Skip the 5Ghz ones (if for no other reason than they use h264 in order to fit a 1080p signal into the available bandwidth and thus will degrade picture quality) and go with a 60Ghz model. I have a $200 rocketfish model that has been rock-solid for 3 months - it runs direct line of site for 25ft.

Note that rocketfish has both 5Ghz and 60Ghz models, make sure that whatever you buy is 60Ghz.

Hmm, This looks interesting. I need something that has a 40 ft range.
Perhaps I can run a cable part of the way.
How good is it? See a significant loss in picture quality?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Not sure what you have in your HTPC for a graphics card, but 3 possible solutions are:

1) Try using an EDID override (there are a couple of threads on this in the HTPC forum).
2) Upgrade to a newer graphics card. At least with ATI cards, people are running into fewer issues with this with 6xxx series and newer video cards.
3) Install a Gefen HDMI Detective between the HTPC and the Denon. This will trick the PC into thinking it's always connected to the Denon and prevent it from losing its mind.

THanks for the reply

1) Did try the EDID overrides that were close to my setup(Samsung/Denon). The thread is confusing about what it is really for. Either for this receiver-TV handshake or TV passthrough of DD AC3 content, but I did use them with no change. I could ask for a custom override, but seemed like a longshot.

2)My card was purchased last fall XFX 5670 with DX11 DDR5 128 bit. I have read the 6xxx are possibly better, but a bit of a $$ risk not knowing.

3)The HDMI detective does seem to be the solid choice, but at +$80.

My issue is that the TV doesn't have these issues without the Denon. At $2100 list price, this unit should be able to handle the switching. C'mon it even has a Windows 7 sticker on the front of it, and they blamed microsoft!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

If you are one of the few who report maxing the internal amps out (getting "harshness"/clipping distortion at high volumes) a good external amp could help. Otherwise, unless it's a tube amp or made to sound "mellow" like one, that is an unlikely solution IMO. If you've tried the suggestions posted on the past few pages with no joy, I'd go for a Pro kit and do a custom "house" curve.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Actually I'm using the FL, C, & FR pre-outs of the 4311CI to feed the 7.1 channel direct inputs of the Sunfire AVR (because my FL & FR speakers are 4 ohm)...

I hope that Sunfire has a Vol Max Level lock and you have it engaged. Otherwise, if anyone cranks that Sunfire Vol knob, the speakers are toast, right? For sure I'd try taking it out of the loop and see what SQ comes out. I tested taking my Emo XPA5 out and my A100 sounds loud and clean with my 4 Ohm Dalis.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I hope that Sunfire has a Vol Max Level lock and you have it engaged. Otherwise, if anyone cranks that Sunfire Vol knob, the speakers are toast, right? For sure I'd try taking it out of the loop and see what SQ comes out. I tested taking my Emo XPA5 out and my A100 sounds loud and clean with my 4 Ohm Dalis.

Absolutely...I have the max level set equal to the power-on level and the power-on source set to 8-channel input. Just have to make sure no one accidentally turns down the Sunfire or switches sources on it which is still possible in this configuration.

Do you have the 4/8 ohm switch set to 4 or 8? From what I understand, my Krell Resolution 3's are an "easy" 4 ohm load. Does Denon + XPA5 sound same as Denon-only in terms of treble for you?

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon