The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 782 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #23431 of 23578 Old 08-05-2014, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Contacted Denon this was their reply:

Dear Carl,
If the reset of both the micro-processor and the network reset did not resolve the issue you are having then the receiver would need to be serviced by an authorized Denon service center. Before you have the receiver serviced are you sure you did this reset. To reset this receiver first turn the unit off using the standby button on the front panel. While it's off, press and hold the cursor up and down buttons, and power the unit back on while holding cursor up and down. You will see the display flashing, at which point you can release the cursor buttons. All of this should be done on the front panel, not on the remote. Please note that this will reset all settings to default. If this is the reset you did and it still has not resolved the issue then it would need to be serviced. Denon products are known for their reliability and have a rich history of satisfying thousands of customers with their home audio needs. Denon strives to have a very high quality rate and any and all issues are acted on quickly and with the end user in mind. Product defects do not occur that often, but when they do, Denon has an extensive 3 year warranty that provides a remedy to the owner for any failures which might occur. Due to the complex nature of electronic products today, many things can influence the performance of our products and as such, each matter needs to be reviewed individually. To locate an authorized Denon service center please visit our website: http://usa.denon.com/US/Support/Page...terSearch.aspx If you need to ship your Denon product to an authorized independent service center, all shipping arrangements must be made by you and all shipping charges and insurance must be fully prepaid. Denon product should be shipped in its entirety in a box that is designed for shipping but the unit must be protected and there must be sufficient packing materials all around the unit. Denon will pay all return shipping charges for Denon products that have been serviced under this warranty. Please include a copy of the original sales receipt/invoice as well as a letter stating what the problem is, with your name address and phone number so the service center knows who to return the unit to. Please note, before shipping, you must contact the authorized service center to inform them that you will be sending your unit in for repair.

Thank You

D+M Group
Customer Service and Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23432 of 23578 Old 08-05-2014, 02:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1526
^^
If you are simply trying to avoid the "update" message, it's already been suggested that you must set that setting to OFF and that will resolve your issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #23433 of 23578 Old 08-05-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yea I'll probably do that. Just want to share what Denon told my about not being able to get the update.
I wouldn't think you would have to send your receiver in for service just because it won't update
post #23434 of 23578 Old 08-05-2014, 02:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1526
^^
Why not? If you want the update and cannot do it yourself, a repair facility would be your only option.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #23435 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 78
So for those of you that have followed my posts regarding communications with Denon for the netflix issue, i have an update.

I know some of you have experienced similar stonewalling and canned responses, but now im just blatantly being lied to...

Last week i called, requesting an update, was told my case has been escalated to the highest level and to expect a call in a day or two. No call for 3 days.

I call and ask to speak to this person thats in charge of my escalated case, im told thats not possible, but assures me i will hear from him.

Fast forward to yesterday, i call again requesting to speak to this mystery person, im put on hold, guy comes back saying the mystery man is on the phone and that he'd call me by end of their work day which is 9 central. Ok great, but i was told before its not possible to speak to the mystery man...now hes calling, ok great. Well, he never calls.

Today, i call and explain im getting tired of this game and want to talk to this mystery man. Put on hold, comes back... Sorry mystery man is in a meeting he will call you when he is out. Yeah sure he will. I bite my tongue and confirm that he will call before 9, yes.

7pm i just called as i didnt get the callback. I am told, sorry but management works until 5 eastern and have left for the day. Excuse me but ive been told numerous times they are there until 9 central! Anyway, i explain that yet again i was promised a call and it never came. Guy promises to notify his manager tomorrow and i will get a call, yeah, thats a new one...

So thats where i stand. Honestly they should be embarrassed with how they treat customers. Its beyond pathetic. Lies, stall tactics, canned responses, etc. Its b.s. i have the names of these cs reps and if im ever able to speak with this mystery man, i will pass along names and exactly how i feel. Although i doubt that he will even care. Denon has lost a customer, a good loyal one too. Hopefully some of you will have better luck with this issue, i know one of you got a 4520 out of it, god bless your lucky heart. These people are impossible to deal with.

Sorry for such a long post. How are you others fairing with denon customer service(or lack of it...)

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #23436 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 05:22 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
So for those of you that have followed my posts regarding communications with Denon for the netflix issue, i have an update.

I know some of you have experienced similar stonewalling and canned responses, but now im just blatantly being lied to...

Last week i called, requesting an update, was told my case has been escalated to the highest level and to expect a call in a day or two. No call for 3 days.
It's been over 2 weeks in my case and he still hasn't called me either. I've been meaning to give them another call this week, but have been swamped with work. I currently own a DVD-3930CI, AVR-4311CI, and AVP-A1HDCI. I also owned a POA-A1HDCI until a few months ago. So I'm going to make a wild guess that I'm the type of person they would like to keep as a repeat customer. If they don't get this issue resolved, I'm most certainly going to take a close look at other alternatives when the time comes to upgrade.
post #23437 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I understand why this is a serious issue to 4311 owners, and I hope it gets fixed soon. But in my case, I don't have any Netflix clients that support DD+. Can someone briefly describe what I am missing by only having regular DD 5.1 on my Netflix streaming. Given the uproar over the 4311 bug, it must be significant.

Also, what Netflix clients support DD+? I have an Oppo client, an AppleTV client, and Sony Bravia built-in TV apps, and none of them seem to support DD+.

post #23438 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Given the uproar over the 4311 bug, it must be significant.
The issue is not that we WANT DD+, rather it's the fact that you can't force DD on most set top clients. I've used the last four generations of Sony BDPs for Netflix.
post #23439 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks for posting the "update". I've been ignored, as well. Calls, emails... getting nowhere. I've also bought my fair share of Denon. Currently in the house is a AVR-4311CI, AVP-A1HDCI w/3D upgrade, and an AVR-5800 for the bedroom. The list of Denon gear I've owned but sold is too long to mention.

Quote:
Also, what Netflix clients support DD+? I have an Oppo client, an AppleTV client, and Sony Bravia built-in TV apps, and none of them seem to support DD+.
Roku boxes/stick, as well as several BD players with the Netflix app.
post #23440 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

So what does DD+ offer that regular DD doesn't have?

post #23441 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So what does DD+ offer that regular DD doesn't have?
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...y_Digital_Plus
post #23442 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I read the Wikipedia stuff, Sam, thanks. So DD+ supports more than 5.1 channels, but how many DD+ movies are more than 5.1? And it supports higher bit rates. Can you hear a difference in the higher bitrates when a movie is playing?

I'm interested in understanding whether if someone switched the audio from standard Dolby Digital to DD+, would I immediately say "Wow, that is what I have been missing!"

post #23443 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I read the Wikipedia stuff, Sam, thanks. So DD+ supports more than 5.1 channels, but how many DD+ movies are more than 5.1? And it supports higher bit rates. Can you hear a difference in the higher bitrates when a movie is playing?

I'm interested in understanding whether if someone switched the audio from standard Dolby Digital to DD+, would I immediately say "Wow, that is what I have been missing!"
The concern is not "if" DD+ sounds better than standard DD, it's that most (all?) devices that support DD+ only output DD+. So your output is garbled, with a 4311CI, unless you switch over to basic stereo.

TL;DR if your Netflix device outputs supports DD+, and you use the 4311CI, you're going to have garbled center channel sound, with no way to correct unless you switch over to stereo output + DPLII processing.
post #23444 of 23578 Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I understand the issue now, thanks.

post #23445 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
Thanks for posting the "update". I've been ignored, as well. Calls, emails... getting nowhere. I've also bought my fair share of Denon. Currently in the house is a AVR-4311CI, AVP-A1HDCI w/3D upgrade, and an AVR-5800 for the bedroom. The list of Denon gear I've owned but sold is too long to mention.

Amazon Fire TV is another one. And, there is no per-application setting for the Netflix client. It's device wide, and the only options are PCM or E-AC-3. So, we can't even globally revert to AC-3 only.
post #23446 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
So thats where i stand. Honestly they should be embarrassed with how they treat customers. Its beyond pathetic. Lies, stall tactics, canned responses, etc. Its b.s. i have the names of these cs reps and if im ever able to speak with this mystery man, i will pass along names and exactly how i feel. Although i doubt that he will even care. Denon has lost a customer, a good loyal one too. Hopefully some of you will have better luck with this issue, i know one of you got a 4520 out of it, god bless your lucky heart. These people are impossible to deal with.

Sorry for such a long post. How are you others fairing with denon customer service(or lack of it...)
Thanks for the update. Please do let us know, if you are ever able to speak with this engineer. My customer support experience with Denon also left much to be desired. The rep was condescending and borderline rude (as another poster noted). All indications are that Denon has made a calculated business decision to not fix this issue on these models, and this is not a technical limitation.

Many of us purchased this 4311, late in the product lifecycle. But, that is no excuse for a manufacturer to stop "supporting" warrantied units just because they stopped shipping that model, before the problem was resolved. Plenty of new units were sold w/ warranties after the new models were released. The 4311 was sold with DD+ support, and all indications are that it can be fixed with a firmware update. Netflix might have started using a new bit-rate, late in the game. But, these E-AC-3 standards are not anywhere near "new". So, as long as the content sources are adhering to the specifications, Denon should be fixing their software, on units that are under manufacturer warranty. They have the ability to do it here, and choose not to.

Because of this experience, My 4311CI is my first and last Denon product. As they say, vote with your wallet.
post #23447 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I think there needs to be a clarification between out of warranty and end of life. A device can be end of life meaning there will be no more updates, but still be in warranty where the manufacturer will fix defective hardware. This was not a defect in their product. IIRC, this was a change made by Netflix that caused an issue with Denon's implementation of DD+ processing. Was it working when Denon first introduced the unit? I'm pretty sure it was or else this would have been reported from day 1 of it's release.

I'm no Denon fanboi nor am I defending them, but we all just need to understand the difference and be a little realistic with our comments. Just because I bought the unit yesterday and still have a 3 year warranty I don't expect them to be providing updates for me for the next three years on an already 3+ year old product. What if I found a new old stock from an authorized retailer ten years from now? Should I still expect Denon to be providing updates for me for an additional three years after my purchase? No, it's just not a feasible nor realistic expectation.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have this addressed since I have purchased four 4311s and would like them all to be fixed. Even if I don't use the feature on all of them, resale value takes a hit with broken features. I will be looking at other manufacturers when the time comes for an upgrade to Atmos.
post #23448 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 11:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

I just posted the following in the DD+ thread, but figured it's also relevant here:

I just got off the phone with Denon support again. I pushed pretty hard this time making it clear that I've spent a lot of money on Denon equipment and that will change in the future if this matter isn't resolved to my satisfaction. The rep sent me an email requesting that I forward proof of purchase (a scan of my receipt from the place of purchase), my address, and any other supporting information I felt was appropriate. So in addition to the above, I included direct references to the posts in this thread that indicated receipt of the offer to swap the 4311 for a 4520. We'll see how it goes...
post #23449 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I think there needs to be a clarification between out of warranty and end of life. A device can be end of life meaning there will be no more updates, but still be in warranty where the manufacturer will fix defective hardware. This was not a defect in their product. IIRC, this was a change made by Netflix that caused an issue with Denon's implementation of DD+ processing. Was it working when Denon first introduced the unit? I'm pretty sure it was or else this would have been reported from day 1 of it's release.

I'm no Denon fanboi nor am I defending them, but we all just need to understand the difference and be a little realistic with our comments. Just because I bought the unit yesterday and still have a 3 year warranty I don't expect them to be providing updates for me for the next three years on an already 3+ year old product. What if I found a new old stock from an authorized retailer ten years from now? Should I still expect Denon to be providing updates for me for an additional three years after my purchase? No, it's just not a feasible nor realistic expectation.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have this addressed since I have purchased four 4311s and would like them all to be fixed. Even if I don't use the feature on all of them, resale value takes a hit with broken features. I will be looking at other manufacturers when the time comes for an upgrade to Atmos.
It's true that there's a difference between end of life and end of warranty. However, Denon support has told a lot of people that Denon engineers are either working on or looking into working on a firmware update to address the issue. That implies that they agree that this is something that should be fixed. Unfortunately, that's about all they've told anyone over the course of many months. I've spoken with several support reps and not one of them has mentioned end of life regarding this issue. They've also offered the 4520 swap to a couple of people who have taken them up on that offer, which also implies that this is an issue they agree needs to be addressed.
post #23450 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed on all points that this current DD+ issue should be resolved. I just wanted to clarify the difference as some of the comments imply that so long as they have a valid warranty their units should have updates available. I don't know if the 4311 is EOL yet or not, but the 4520 has replaced it and the replacement to the 4520 has already been announced. That means the 4311 will soon be two models old already.
post #23451 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I understand that products can not be indefinitely supported. But, I don't agree with your assessment. This is a software defect. E-AC-3 is a published specification. And, it predates the changes that Netflix made to their encoding. My understanding is that Netflix changes are still within the specifications. You might be correct that Denon's warranty terms only cover hardware defects. But, lets not pretend that the software is not defective, with respect to DD+. If it weren't a software defect, Denon wouldn't have sent out the firmware update to all those other models. We are not asking for a "new feature". We are asking for a fix for a software defect.

Quote:
Your 10 year example is a bit of a straw man argument. I know the point you are making. But, this unit isn't 10 years old. The model begin shipping in late 2010. Some of us purchased them near the end, or shortly after the manufacturing lifecycle in late 2012. The software defect was initially reported in Sept 2013. This is only 3 years after the product first shipped.

Quote:
Good. We want this fixed. My point is that Denon can, and should fix this. They understand the issue, and have already fixed this on other platforms with the same DSP's. Costs to fix this model shouldn't be prohibitive, at this point. This is a business decision. The only way consumers can influence these corporate decisions is with future purchases. If Denon knew that not fixing the 4311 model would cost them a significant amount of business, they would make a different decision.
post #23452 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I just posted the following in the DD+ thread, but figured it's also relevant here:

I just got off the phone with Denon support again. I pushed pretty hard this time making it clear that I've spent a lot of money on Denon equipment and that will change in the future if this matter isn't resolved to my satisfaction. The rep sent me an email requesting that I forward proof of purchase (a scan of my receipt from the place of purchase), my address, and any other supporting information I felt was appropriate. So in addition to the above, I included direct references to the posts in this thread that indicated receipt of the offer to swap the 4311 for a 4520. We'll see how it goes...
Thats what they had me do 2 weeks ago. They attached my receipt to my case file and told me it was escalated to the highest person,

I called again today, rememer, i was promised a callback yet again, i asked to speak to the manager, told he was out for the day. Ok, may i speak to any manager, nope not one here...seriously? No manager there? Ok, i get the name of the manager that will be there tomorrow and the times, so ill try again tomorrow. If no dice, I'll contact BBB.

As for EOL and having unrealistic expectations...well, Denon is not honoring warranties for defective products. They are stalling and refusing to address the issue. For over 6 months theyve claimed a fw update will come. So its not us customers expecting. Its been promised. Also, when others are offered an exchange and others arent, thats bad business, you may choose to favor the way Denon is handling this issue, but yoyd be in the minority.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #23453 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbird View Post
Because of this experience, My 4311CI is my first and last Denon product. As they say, vote with your wallet.
I purchased my AVR-4311ci last year and have been extremely happy with it but want to confirm that what y'all are talking about only concerns Netflix and their DD+?
post #23454 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Correct, it isn't a general problem with DD+, it's specific to Netflix ONLY. Netflix at some point change their encoding thingamabob and it caused problems with the DD+ decoding in many AVR's. It doesn't affect any other DD+ signal.
Zen Traveler likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #23455 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If it weren't a software defect, Denon wouldn't have sent out the firmware update to all those other models. We are not asking for a "new feature". We are asking for a fix for a software defect.
Is there proof that this is a software defect on Denon's part? We all know there is a problem, but without substantiated proof we can't positively blame Denon for defective firmware. Again, I'm not arguing that shouldn't get a fix for this. I'm just saying there may be a possibility that this isn't a defect in their software, but an incompatibility that was introduced in the Netflix update. I've seen time and time again that Netflix, Pandora, Rhapsody, insert any other product here has updated their code and caused incompatibility issues with a product.

I do tech support myself. Even if both sides adhere to the specifications of xyz standard, the two can still have issues when operating together. That's not an uncommon issue. One side or the other will have to fix their code to get it to work with the other. I've had to provide a fix to IBM for a software issue they had. Both Microsoft and IBM were adhering to the standards, but when run under certain conditions the error would surface. That's just one example of how both side can be adhering to standards, but the product still doesn't work as planned.

Quote:
Your 10 year example is a bit of a straw man argument. I know the point you are making. But, this unit isn't 10 years old. The model begin shipping in late 2010. Some of us purchased them near the end, or shortly after the manufacturing lifecycle in late 2012. The software defect was initially reported in Sept 2013. This is only 3 years after the product first shipped.
I was just trying to clarify the difference between under warranty and under support. Some peoples' comments that their product is under warranty and that the manufacturer should be required to provide updates is not reasonable. I'm not specifically talking about the 4311. I was just generalizing that people just can't expect a product to be supported with updates just because the product is still under warranty. There is a distinct difference. I purposely used a large number of years to accentuate the difference.

Quote:
My point is that Denon can, and should fix this. They understand the issue, and have already fixed this on other platforms with the same DSP's. Costs to fix this model shouldn't be prohibitive, at this point. This is a business decision. The only way consumers can influence these corporate decisions is with future purchases. If Denon knew that not fixing the 4311 model would cost them a significant amount of business, they would make a different decision.
Again, without proof of defect on Denon's part, I will not go so far as to say Denon "should" fix this. I would say it would be nice if Denon did fix this. Why is there no backlash against Netflix? Netflix has a much worse record of breaking things whenever they rollout new software or make changes on their servers.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if streaming services would all just go away. Unless of course, they want to provide the same quality audio and video as what I can get from my Blu-rays AND allow me to pre-load the movie on my media player so that I can guarantee uninterrupted viewing int he event of network outages or whatever they decide to do while I'm watching my movies.

Quote:
They understand the issue, and have already fixed this on other platforms with the same DSP's. Costs to fix this model shouldn't be prohibitive, at this point. This is a business decision. The only way consumers can influence these corporate decisions is with future purchases. If Denon knew that not fixing the 4311 model would cost them a significant amount of business, they would make a different decision.
Agreed, this was most likely a business decision and IMO probably the better option from a business standpoint. With the new product models coming out they are most likely concentrating on the new models since that's new revenue. Fixing an issue on older models that won't show up in the additional revenue column will relegate this to do item lower on the list. Does this leave a bad taste in my mouth? Yes it does, but that's the reality of life. We can sit here and complain and mope all we want, but in the eyes of the bean counters, we're a very small minority. They already have our money. The people who own the 4311 are a very small subset of their customer base and the people who are actually experiencing this issue are even smaller.

If their developers are anything like all IT departments I've worked with, then they're probably stretched pretty thin so they need to prioritize their efforts. Fixing old problems with little to no financial gain = low on priority list whereas getting a new product out to market for new sales and revenue growth = high on the priority list. Here's to hoping the fix will be available shortly after the new products have been released. Better yet, I'm all for getting a credit to upgrade to one of their new models with Atmos. Would be nice to be able to try it out without breaking the bank or effort to sell my current gear for new stuff. That's the only way I'd be willing to give 1st gen Atmos a shot. If not, I'll wait for gen 2 or 3 for the bugs to get worked out.
post #23456 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Correct, it isn't a general problem with DD+, it's specific to Netflix ONLY. Netflix at some point change their encoding thingamabob and it caused problems with the DD+ decoding in many AVR's. It doesn't affect any other DD+ signal.
I believe this is an oversimplification. Netflix started using newer DD+ encoding methods, back in 2013. Dolby made some changes to their DD+ encoder, that allowed the use of lower bitrates. However, these changes were still within published standards that pre-date the change. The problem is this was untested on earlier model receivers, because Dolby hadn't released it yet. This caused interoperability problems for AVR's that used certain DSPs from manufacturer ADI. Most notably Denon AVRs. But, there were some other receiver manufactures affected.

This could happen with any other content source using these DD+ encoding methods, currently used by Netflix on some content. The ubiquity of Netflix, is what is causing them to be singled out. This isn't proprietary Netflix encoding. This is DD+.
post #23457 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 483
I am another 4311 owner and I don't understand everyone expecting Denon to fix an issue with Netflx that developed after the unit was replaced by another (4520) a few years ago. Oppo is held with high regard as far as customer service in a/v land. I have an 83 that hasn't had a firmware update for over two years. I believe what is making it difficult for Oppo to do so is that one of their suppliers stopped making the video chip - Anchor Bay? Did I expect Oppo to replace my 83 with a new unit - only if it was under warranty. Netflix made a change after the 4311 was released and replaced by a newer model. Based on what I've read on this thread for those who have a valid warranty they have gotten 4520s. Kudos to Denon for making it right for that group.

This hasn't been a problem for me to-date, but even if was it has no impact on my decision regarding replacement. For me I will either be buying a Denon or Pioneer Elite once Atmos is in the wild and some reviews/owner experiences are done/posted. My 4311 has been a great receiver and most likely one I will use elsewhere in my house when I replace it. Getting a discount on a new Atmos ready unit would be great or getting a 4520 would be even better, but its not something I expect Denon to do for me.
post #23458 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I am another 4311 owner and I don't understand everyone expecting Denon to fix an issue with Netflx that developed after the unit was replaced by another (4520) a few years ago. Oppo is held with high regard as far as customer service in a/v land. I have an 83 that hasn't had a firmware update for over two years. I believe what is making it difficult for Oppo to do so is that one of their suppliers stopped making the video chip - Anchor Bay? Did I expect Oppo to replace my 83 with a new unit - only if it was under warranty. Netflix made a change after the 4311 was released and replaced by a newer model. Based on what I've read on this thread for those who have a valid warranty they have gotten 4520s. Kudos to Denon for making it right for that group.

This hasn't been a problem for me to-date, but even if was it has no impact on my decision regarding replacement. For me I will either be buying a Denon or Pioneer Elite once Atmos is in the wild and some reviews/owner experiences are done/posted. My 4311 has been a great receiver and most likely one I will use elsewhere in my house when I replace it. Getting a discount on a new Atmos ready unit would be great or getting a 4520 would be even better, but its not something I expect Denon to do for me.
My 4311 is under warranty...and Denon has yet to do something to fix a unit that doesn't work as advertised. I am in the camp of many, many contacts and escalations.

People seem to be missing the fact that this issue has been fixed in other models. They should have included any model that could still be under factory warranty in that fix.
post #23459 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Newer models, but not any from the year the 4311 was released based on what JD has posted. Please correct me if I am wrong. Your unit being under factory warranty is unique given how long the 4520 has been out, I would expect Denon in your case to offer you a newer unit as its done with others. We all assume the fix is doable based on newer units with different capabilities/hardware being fixed, do any of us really know if it is possible regardless of the time or resource issue?
post #23460 of 23578 Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
People seem to be missing the fact that this issue has been fixed in other models. They should have included any model that could still be under factory warranty in that fix.
No, we are not missing that fact. We have acknowledged that fact already. Those other models are more recent than the already replaced 4311. IMO this is a business decision that had to be made. Forget the making money aspect of it. If you look at the mantra of doing the most good for the most number of people the 4311 will still lose out. The models fixed are the lower to middle tier in the product line. There will be more of these units sold and in service than there will be of the then flagship 4311.

I'm not making light of your situation or lessening the need for a fix, but we all need to understand that we are constantly whining about lack of service for an older, supplanted model whose replacement has already been announced. Our 4311s have an issue yes, but let's temper our disappointment and anger with a little reason and patience. Again without concrete proof that this is a defect in Denon's code, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they provide us a fix. Their poor CS for the majority of you in this matter though, is unacceptable.

Of course, I'm most likely to be able to keep a cool head since I don't stream movies so this issue has no impact on me so take all I say with a grain of salt. I'm sure I'd be right there with you with pitchfork in hand if it were affecting me.

Last edited by duc135; 08-08-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page