The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 786 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #23551 of 23567 Old 09-11-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshukers View Post
7 channels. So I should set to normal and re-run Audyssey? Sorry, what is a ground loop?
Do that first (normal and re-run Audyssey and ignore my ground loop comment for now. I shouldn't have brought it up until after you had things set up correctly with the AV. I am not familiar with Crown amps besides a few posts on AVS, but if your amp has a gain adjustment be sure to make that adjustment before running Audyssey. Let us know how things go.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23552 of 23567 Old 09-12-2014, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks and sorry for the slow reply. Been buried with work. I hope to try the re-run of Audyssey today or tomorrow. I will let you know.
Thanks again..........
post #23553 of 23567 Old 09-12-2014, 07:02 AM

smurraybhm, I just noticed you have the Ascend Sierra 2s and the Horizon.

I hooked up 2 Horizons with Raals for my fronts a while back. I really just listen to music other than news in that room. However, let's just say on a Saturday late afternoon after some pops at the pool and you crank them up to "live concert level" the 4311 goes into thermal protection and I have to let her sit for a few minutes and back off the V. Thus the addition of the Crown amp. I was just hoping to get a smidgen more out of that system, you know like on a late Saturday afternoon.

The Crown should give me 500 watts per channel and give the 4311 some breathing room. Other than that,the Horizons sound great. So clean that I give them more juice than the Denon wants. You know like on a late Saturday afternoon.
post #23554 of 23567 Old 09-12-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I have lost all audio from my 4311 - The system was on, but nothing was playing for about the last hour. I had been playing some music at about -15 and it had finished previously so I tried to play some more music and nothing. I have tried multiple sources and in all cases I get video, but no audio. I have unplugged for 10 minutes and tried nothing, then did a reset (Power on/standard/dsp) and checked the amp asign was correct, then went in to the test tones and still nothing not even on the subs. I have pulled from my system and put in a 4310 does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong? I have had the AVR for 2.5 years so outside the warranty. Anybody know of a good place to take it for repairs near Sacramento, CA?
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by jdsmoothie

^^
If you purchased the AVR new from an authorized dealer, the AVR has a 3 year warranty and if you purchased with a credit card, the card issuer may add a 4th year as well. Try leaving the unit unplugged over night and give then try several "network resets" (ie. press/hold the UP/DOWN arrow keys for 4-5 seconds on the front panel while powering on the AVR).

Thanks for the information, I did the network resets several times as well as leaving it unplugged for several days and also doing the full reset 2 or 3 times to no avail. I had forgotten that there was a 3 year warranty on these units so that brings up a whole other issue I purchased the AVR from Newgg.com right before all the information came out that they weren't an authorized dealer (My fault for not checking). When I read about this I contacted Newegg regarding this and they indicated by email that if I had an issue obtaining warranty service they would make a warranty claim on my behalf (I saved the email so will see if I need it). I have contacted Newegg to ask as to how I should proceed and they are in the process of researching my question ... so I will wait before proceeding with repairs which hopefully get done without cost to me.

Wanted to update this issue and the final resolution: Newegg agreed to reimburse me up to one third the purchase price which came out to be $465 (I don't really know how they came up with this amount but it seemed like it would cover most if not all of any repairs needed and it had already taken 4 weeks and many phone calls and emails so I agreed). Once agreed I took the unit in to an authorized repair facility in Redwood City, CA (120 mile drive each way) to have the repair work done. Turned out that the DSP board needed to be replaced which was done at Denon Repair Facility in Rockaway, NJ and I was able to pickup the repaired unit on 7/19/14 - total cost $526 plus gas, tolls and time to drive 480 miles . Next I had to contact Newegg again to get my reimbursement of $465 which eventually came by check a couple of weeks later . My net cost wasn't too bad (about $150) thanks to jdsmoothie for reminding me that the unit had a 3 year warranty . The unit is back in my primary system and the 4310 is back in my daughter's room and everybody is happy !

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #23555 of 23567 Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Question, Now that I have my repaired unit back every time I turn it on I get the airplay upgrade message which I have no use for. I know I turned this message off before, but I can't remember how Any help would be appreciated.

Never Mind - I searched and found it..just being lazy.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

Last edited by HTPCat; 09-12-2014 at 08:48 AM.
post #23556 of 23567 Old 09-13-2014, 10:06 AM

[COLOR="Yellow"]"I have just connected a Crown XLI power amp to my 4311 for my fronts and all I get is a strong buzzing.
I have connected the RCA pre-out from left and rt fronts on my 4311 to RCA inputs on the Crown. Attached left and rt speakers to the binder posts on the Crown with banana plugs and set the switch to stereo.

I am not sure what to set the amp assign to. I have it set to 11 channel and external amp set to front. Only buzzing.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.........."
[/COLOR]

I tried running AUDYSSEY in normal assign but it would not run due to ambient noise which may be the buzz itself.
I just noticed if I turn the receiver off the buzz still continues thru my front speakers. What does this tell me?

Thnx........

Last edited by jshukers; 09-13-2014 at 10:32 AM.
post #23557 of 23567 Old 09-13-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Bad amp? You might check the crown amp threads to see if anyone else has had this issue. You seem to have ruled out the AVR by powering it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23558 of 23567 Old 09-13-2014, 12:15 PM

Yeah. I'm thinking it may be the Crown Amp too. I'll try to call Crown on Monday to see if they have any suggestions. I think they have a tech line. I hate hassling with a send back.

I will check the Crown threads too.

Thnx everyone...........
post #23559 of 23567 Old 09-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshukers View Post
smurraybhm, I just noticed you have the Ascend Sierra 2s and the Horizon.

I hooked up 2 Horizons with Raals for my fronts a while back. I really just listen to music other than news in that room. However, let's just say on a Saturday late afternoon after some pops at the pool and you crank them up to "live concert level" the 4311 goes into thermal protection and I have to let her sit for a few minutes and back off the V. Thus the addition of the Crown amp. I was just hoping to get a smidgen more out of that system, you know like on a late Saturday afternoon.

The Crown should give me 500 watts per channel and give the 4311 some breathing room. Other than that,the Horizons sound great. So clean that I give them more juice than the Denon wants. You know like on a late Saturday afternoon.

Not sure what is up with the 4311 and your Ascend speakers, but the 4311 should have more than enough juice to drive the Ascends to insane levels without going in to a protection mode. The Ascends are not difficult speakers to drive, so something else might be going on there....

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #23560 of 23567 Old 09-14-2014, 01:16 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Question, Now that I have my repaired unit back every time I turn it on I get the airplay upgrade message which I have no use for. I know I turned this message off before, but I can't remember how Any help would be appreciated.

Never Mind - I searched and found it..just being lazy.
Although you may never use the Airplay feature, it still makes sense to install it now while still available as doing so will make the unit more attractive to a buyer when it comes time for you to sell and upgrade. Also note that you can use Android as well as iDevices to stream audio to the AVR using Airplay.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #23561 of 23567 Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Wanted to update this issue and the final resolution: Newegg agreed to reimburse me up to one third the purchase price which came out to be $465 (I don't really know how they came up with this amount but it seemed like it would cover most if not all of any repairs needed and it had already taken 4 weeks and many phone calls and emails so I agreed). Once agreed I took the unit in to an authorized repair facility in Redwood City, CA (120 mile drive each way) to have the repair work done. Turned out that the DSP board needed to be replaced which was done at Denon Repair Facility in Rockaway, NJ and I was able to pickup the repaired unit on 7/19/14 - total cost $526 plus gas, tolls and time to drive 480 miles . Next I had to contact Newegg again to get my reimbursement of $465 which eventually came by check a couple of weeks later . My net cost wasn't too bad (about $150) thanks to jdsmoothie for reminding me that the unit had a 3 year warranty . The unit is back in my primary system and the 4310 is back in my daughter's room and everybody is happy !
Consider yourself lucky, as NewEgg (not an authorized Denon dealer) has left other Denon AVR purchasers in the cold in past years with no resolution when warranty repair was required.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #23562 of 23567 Old 09-14-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Not sure what is up with the 4311 and your Ascend speakers, but the 4311 should have more than enough juice to drive the Ascends to insane levels without going in to a protection mode. The Ascends are not difficult speakers to drive, so something else might be going on there....
Gov, You could be right. My audio Arc is not working when I try the apps in my new Vizio TV. I have a ROKU that works great though so that is no big deal. It's a refurbished unit that I have had for a while. Can't remember if I got an added warranty though.

It wouldn't surprise me though if that 4311 has some issues.

Nothing else works around here. I'm on my 3rd new coffee machine and this one doesn't work right either. And then there are my computers, and the...............

Someone on the crown thread said they had heard of some issues using RCA plugs and suggested trying XLR connections. I will try to pick some up today and see how that works.

Thnx........
post #23563 of 23567 Old 09-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Upgrade to Dolby Atmos receiver

Does anybody know if my 4311ci would have any resale value?.It has been
a superb receiver providing my home theatre with terrific surround sound in a difficult room(slanted ceilings,500sg ft room with surrounds placed very high and 16 ft ceilings)What equivalent Atmos receiver would equal or surpass the bells and whistles of the 4311ci?.I would have to sell my 4311ci to upgrade to Atmos.Any opinions would be appreciated.Thx
post #23564 of 23567 Old 09-14-2014, 04:37 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothsavers View Post
Does anybody know if my 4311ci would have any resale value?
If you look at completed listings on ebay, it looks like the going rate is $700-800 for one in excellent condition with the original box, remotes, manual, etc.
post #23565 of 23567 Old 09-14-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 427
I received $725 for mine plus the buyer paid shipping, but I took care of the PayPal expenses. Honestly I think it was a fair deal for both of us and he is going to get a receiver that looks the same as it did on day one. I have seen a few going for around $900, I think that's a little high personally, but the power to those who can pull it off.

I boxed up my 4311 tonight after watching a few movies this weekend. Its been a great receiver and I will miss it. Fortunately I am not venturing far away by replacing it with a 5200. Excited to try Dolby Surround. If I like the 5200 then the plan is to sell that after the 7200 comes out and move up to the mack daddy.

I don't think anyone looking to sell a 4311 is going to have any trouble doing so, great receiver.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #23566 of 23567 Old 09-15-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 162
^ I hope you're right- - as I recently made what I think was a very nice price adjustment to mine on some some site that start with an "a" and ends in an "s".

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page