The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 791 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #23701 of 23730 Old 11-13-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cannot Download Firmware Update

Hi guys,

I own the 4311 and would like to update the firmware. I read there was one released recently. I went to the Denon website and the AVR 4311 is not listed in the drop-down menu for an available update. Where are you people who have updated firmware getting this file? Also, I noticed they want your serial #. Although I have my serial #, why do they care who downloads this. Isn't this file useless to anyone who doesn't own the unit. I have updated many units firmwares over the years and have never been required to enter a serial #.
Also, why aren't updates available through the on-board Network connection like my Denon Blu Ray Player?

???

Thanks in advance.

It used to be:"Wine, Women and Song"Now it's: "Beer, The Old Lady and TV"My Theater Build http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Gr...?sort=6&page=1

Last edited by gregavi; 11-13-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23702 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 03:24 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregavi View Post
Hi guys,

I own the 4311 and would like to update the firmware. I read there was one released recently. I went to the Denon website and the AVR 4311 is not listed in the drop-down menu for an available update. Where are you people who have updated firmware getting this file? Also, I noticed they want your serial #. Although I have my serial #, why do they care who downloads this. Isn't this file useless to anyone who doesn't own the unit. I have updated many units firmwares over the years and have never been required to enter a serial #.
Also, why aren't updates available through the on-board Network connection like my Denon Blu Ray Player?

???

Thanks in advance.
Updates are not available via the website, rather only via the Denon servers using a network connection. If "Check for Update" does not result in the update displaying, try "Start" instead.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-14-2014 at 03:41 AM.
post #23703 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Updates are not available via the website, rather only via the Denon servers using a network connection. If "Check for Update" does not result in the update displaying, try "Start" instead.
Thanks jdsmoothie.

I looked through the menu and could not find anything like "Check For Update" anywhere. How do I navigate to it?

It used to be:"Wine, Women and Song"Now it's: "Beer, The Old Lady and TV"My Theater Build http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Gr...?sort=6&page=1
post #23704 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Ironically enough it's NOT in the "Network Setup" portion of the GUI menus. Rather, it's in the general "Option Setup" menus under "Firmware Update". See pg 106 of your manual.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #23705 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Ironically enough it's NOT in the "Network Setup" portion of the GUI menus. Rather, it's in the general "Option Setup" menus under "Firmware Update". See pg 106 of your manual.
I finally found it. Talk about being hidden. They bury it as if they don't want anyone to find it. Anyway, the update is now in process. Hopefully it will fix my problem which is: About a year ago, the HDMI passthrough stopped working. ex. When the 4311 was off, there was no passthrough. So, the AVR needed to be "ON" in order to watch TV. Recently I changed a setting (switched HDMI Control from "ON" to "OFF") that caused a couple of reactions. The passthrough was working again (Video Only), but the HDMI audio output is stuck on "Amp" no matter if I choose "Amp" or "TV".

Thanks JD and Batpig.

post #23706 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 11:30 AM

My update process is done. I still have the problem of audio being "Stuck" on "AMP" no matter if I choose "TV" or "AMP".

I will try the HDMI Handshake Reset method the Denon Tech support guy sent me, which is:

Reverse HS.
1.Remove HDMI from tv with it on.
2.Turn off all devices.
3.Remove all HDMI cables from everything. Wait for 15 minutes.
4.Connect all HDMI back.
5 Turn on TV.
6.Turn on receiver and set to first source
7.Turn on first source.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this will solve my problem.

post #23707 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregavi View Post
I finally found it. Talk about being hidden. They bury it as if they don't want anyone to find it. Anyway, the update is now in process. Hopefully it will fix my problem which is: About a year ago, the HDMI passthrough stopped working. ex. When the 4311 was off, there was no passthrough. So, the AVR needed to be "ON" in order to watch TV. Recently I changed a setting (switched HDMI Control from "ON" to "OFF") that caused a couple of reactions. The passthrough was working again (Video Only), but the HDMI audio output is stuck on "Amp" no matter if I choose "Amp" or "TV".

Thanks JD and Batpig.
In addition to HDMI Control set to ON, you'll also want to ensure the Standby Source is correctly set to the HDMI source you want to pass when the AVR is in Standby. Also, often times a "soft reset" (unplug power cable for 10 minutes) will resolve minor glitches without changing any settings.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #23708 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
In addition to HDMI Control set to ON, you'll also want to ensure the Standby Source is correctly set to the HDMI source you want to pass when the AVR is in Standby. Also, often times a "soft reset" (unplug power cable for 10 minutes) will resolve minor glitches without changing any settings.
I have (and have always had) HDMI source set to "Last". None of this has worked so far. I am trying the "soft reset" right now. If that doesn't work I will do a "microprocessor reset" and see if that does anything.

If I do a microprocessor reset, will I need to re-do the firmware update. My guess is no.

This is amazing having 2 (sometimes more) experts help me try to resolve this. Thanks again guys.

post #23709 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 12:45 PM
585-645-1006

^^
No. Reset does not change firmware, however, you may want to back up the config file to a PC using the Web Control feature. Also, if you do have to resort to a hard reset, you may have to do 4-5 in a row.

post #23710 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
^^
No. Reset does not change firmware, however, you may want to back up the config file to a PC using the Web Control feature. Also, if you do have to resort to a hard reset, you may have to do 4-5 in a row.
You're recommending a backup so I don't lose my Audyssey settings? If that's the case, I don't care about preserving those settings. I like to re-do Audyssey every few months anyway (it's fun). Is there another reason to backup?

Is there a page in the manual that walks me through the "config file to a PC using the Web Control feature"?

Thanks

post #23711 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 PM
585-645-1006

Web Control (p. 70)

post #23712 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
I'm still trying to problem solve my issue before resorting to sending it in for warranty. I mentioned trying different HDMI cables which is true, but the cables I tried were all monoprice cables. Today, I swapped the 3' monoprice cable used between the PS3 and 4311 for a 25' generic thin gauge cable and my problem appears to be gone. 3+ hours of uninterrupted viewing/listening which is very uncommon. Monoprice cables have not been an issue on any other device.
Problem solved. Bad cables. 3 different 3-foot monoprice cables and all are blatantly faulty when used between a PS3-to-TV connection. Why they cause only sporadic issues when they are between the PS3 and 4311, I have no idea and they don't seem to cause any issue with my xbox or PVR. They were all purchased at the same time however so possibly a bad production batch?
post #23713 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Also, if you do have to resort to a hard reset, you may have to do 4-5 in a row.
JD, I don't think I have asked before. Electronically speaking, what is accomplished by several repeated resets that isn't accolished by a single reset?
post #23714 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
JD, I don't think I have asked before. Electronically speaking, what is accomplished by several repeated resets that isn't accolished by a single reset?
Good question.

post #23715 of 23730 Old 11-14-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a Pioneer bdp 450 with dual hdmi output.
Main hdmi is Video and Sub hdmi is audio when set to Separate on the Pioneer.
Apparently, having Separate signals improves both PQ and AQ.
I was advised to connect main hdmi video to the projector and Sub audio to the avr.

As I have different sources connected to the 4311, it is not practical for the Pioneer to be the single source feeding the projector.
I tried connecting the Main Video output to BD ( HDMI 1) on the 4311 and the Sub Audio output to DVR (HDMI 4).
So in essence, when watching on DVR HDMI 4, I will set the video Select to BD,
But I am not able to get Video from the BD, when I set to separate.

Is it some hdmi handshake problem?
Is it doable?
post #23716 of 23730 Old 11-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A L Wong View Post
I was advised to connect main hdmi video to the projector and Sub audio to the avr.

As I have different sources connected to the 4311, it is not practical for the Pioneer to be the single source feeding the projector.
I tried connecting the Main Video output to BD ( HDMI 1) on the 4311 and the Sub Audio output to DVR (HDMI 4).

Is it doable?
If I understand you correctly, I don't think this will work because you are asking the 4311 to take 2 different input sources, output audio from one of them and video from the other, simultaneously. What would work (I think) is to run the HDMI Video output directly to the PJ and the HDMI Audio to the 4311 BD Input. If your PJ has 2 or more HDMI inputs, (one of) the other input(s) could be used for "All Other" sources running through the 4311. (In other words, 4311 HDMI OUT to the other HDMI INPUT on the PJ). I believe this is what Pioneer had in mind. I also believe it is not necessary to separate the 2. Unless they think the Audio and Video interfere with each other running through the same cable. Isn't that why we have HDMI?

post #23717 of 23730 Old 11-15-2014, 02:22 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The first time around the bad electrons can be fooled, but a few more times of having to run the gauntlet, in succession, confuses them and allows the good electrons to fall into place.

Seriously though ... more than a handful of owners have found multiple resets resolved their issue when a single one did not.

post #23718 of 23730 Old 11-15-2014, 02:28 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Is it doable?
Sorry, but no. And as gregavi noted, the configuration using a dual HDMI BDP is video to the display source and audio to the AVR. However, as gregavi also suggested, have you even tried a single HDMI to 4311CI? You can set the "i/p Scaler" setting on the AVR to OFF to minimize any video processing by the AVR.

post #23719 of 23730 Old 11-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Is it doable?
A. L. - I think your advice may have been wrong. No need to separate.
post #23720 of 23730 Old 11-15-2014, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the advise.
In the Source Select menus, there is a sub menu called Video Select and various options from are given, What does this do?
Does it not mean I can watch video from another source?
In the spec sheet, it say it can do simultaneous playback on two hdmi channels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	368953  
post #23721 of 23730 Old 11-15-2014, 06:17 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The Video Select setting allows you to select an "analog" video source while listening to an audio source.

post #23722 of 23730 Old 11-16-2014, 12:34 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
post #23723 of 23730 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
wierd

I was on Net radio when I looked down and didn't see the 4311ci display lit up, nothing but the green circle around the power button, however the music was still playing. I recycled the power and there was a brief display on the TV and receiver that said "Direct (Pure)" and they went back to blank screen. I went back into the GUI and found that indeed the audio was set to direct. Changed it back to "Standard" and all is normal. I don't know if it is doing this by itself or I am ASS dialing the remote but this is the second time it has happened in a month, any thoughts? Thanks! Paul K.
post #23724 of 23730 Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
585-645-1006

^^
To clarify, when the PURE DIRECT surround mode is selected, it will cut off the front panel display after a few seconds as you experienced. To resolve your issue, you may want to do a soft reset by powering the unit OFF and unplugging it for at least 10 minutes (with no loss of settings).

post #23725 of 23730 Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
^^
To clarify, when the PURE DIRECT surround mode is selected, it will cut off the front panel display after a few seconds as you experienced. To resolve your issue, you may want to do a soft reset by powering the unit OFF and unplugging it for at least 10 minutes (with no loss of settings).
Yes to everything but I didn't select it, it was just there and I haven't a clue. Thanks, I'll give it a try.
post #23726 of 23730 Old Today, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I´m in need of some help.

I just got a 4311 CI to test for a friend and the damn thing only gives me a blue screen.

It happens in all hdmi inputs that I tested.

I´ve already done a microprocessor reset a couple of times and it´s still the same.

Have anyone experienced something like this ?

Is there any other "harder reset" that I could try to perform ?

I´ve heard before about a hw reset somewhere on the main board, I think I fist heard of it with a 3313.

Anyway I got audio from the HDMI connection.

I thank you all in advance.

"There are more mysteries between the outlets and the speakers that consider possible the vain Audiophilia..."

Last edited by Dmaumau; Today at 05:01 PM.
post #23727 of 23730 Old Today, 05:50 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Could be one of three things ... (1) Bad HDMI cable, (2) HDMI handshake, or (3) defective HDMI board

Item 1 is easily checked by simply using a different HDMI cable.
Item 2 can be checked by reviewing my post below on HDMI HDCP reset.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

Item 3 will set your friend back about $400 if not still covered under warranty.

post #23728 of 23730 Old Today, 06:18 PM

Just to include a bit more info, i´ve already tried other HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

The onscreen MENU also do not appear and the blue screen after a while seems to get somewhat darker.

"There are more mysteries between the outlets and the speakers that consider possible the vain Audiophilia..."
post #23729 of 23730 Old Today, 06:21 PM

Thx JD,

That´s pretty much what I was thinking.

It does not feel like a handshake problem though.

post #23730 of 23730 Old Today, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anyone have an idea what a used A100 would go for.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread