The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 798 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #23911 of 23920 Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
192kHz sampling is practically useless -- it's a lot of extra data for no audible benefit. So I wouldn't sweat it, and just stream at 96kHz.

A huge number of the supposedly "hi rez" audio tracks out there at 192kHZ are really just upsampled anyway, not natively 192kHZ, making any benefit even more dubious.
I can't hear an advantage to 192 kHz, but some people claim to be able to hear a difference reliably. Concerning the "huge number" of tracks that are actually upsampled--OK, there are certainly some of those out there, but I think there are some reliable sources for 192 kHz tracks, e.g. 2L, and Linn Records, which also has some test files to let the listener compare download qualities:
http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-down...file-type.aspx

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23912 of 23920 Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think that I am the first one who asks this question, but I can't find the answer...

Since today I have a 6.1 setup. Playing 5.1 sources I can only select PLIIx Music, but not PLIIx Cinema. I it even possible to play DD 5.1 or DTS in PLIIx Cinema?

Please forgive me for my bad english, its not my native language
post #23913 of 23920 Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Your English is 1000 times better than what I would type in your language!

Honestly, it doesn't really make that much difference. I have a 7.1, and can't tell the difference.
post #23914 of 23920 Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Guys

Quick question that I'm trying to troubleshoot. I have multiple sources, connected to various inputs. Xbox, PC, Oppo etc. My PC is connected to "game" at the moment. During audio play back, all vocals come out of what sounds like a "cave" producing a very strong echo sound through my connected speakers. I am connected via HDMI.

None of my other inputs seem to display this problem. what settings should I be checking to see why this is happening?
post #23915 of 23920 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I went to a high-end audio store on Saturday and listened to some McIntosh separates. They were demo'ing the Elton John 60 concert blu-ray (which I think has fantastic audio). I was pretty impressed, so I plopped the same blu-ray into my Oppo, turned on my trusty AVR-4311 (assisted by an Emotiva amp and Paradigm speakers). My wife said, "Wow - that sounds a lot better", and I tend to agree with her.

Our little AVR-4311 is still one really sweat machine
Do yourself and your 4311 a favor and get a better music Blu-ray to demo. That EJ60 disc has horribly compressed audio mastering. Get any of the Tom Petty Blu-ray audio discs, and be prepared to grin when you crank it up.
post #23916 of 23920 Old Today, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Your English is 1000 times better than what I would type in your language!

Honestly, it doesn't really make that much difference. I have a 7.1, and can't tell the difference.

Thank you sir for your kind words
But should it be possible to chose from PLIIx Music and PLIIx Cinema in a 6.1 setup?
Btw, I have found Dolby Digital Ex and DTS Neo6, but not Cinema
post #23917 of 23920 Old Today, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have my 4311 dialed in for movies and it sounds awesome ! DVD concerts are a whole different animal, I love DVD concerts but they all sound so different, crazy mixes ect. One example is PeterGabriel Live from Milan Italy, out of the box the sound it terrible, a few minutes of tweaking and its Great, like Nirvana Unplugged or FooFighters BackAnd Forth......

I like the fader and sub up/down feature, seems between those two features I can get it where I want to be. I actually write down my results for each disc so when I throw it in I dial it where it sounds best. I will write down MasterVol, sub level, fader location.

For my peace of mind, does this adjustment go back to to original adjusted levels when the unit is powered down, that's to include the subwoofer level (+/-12db) and fader. Can I mess up any setting using this function.....

Thank you

Last edited by kgveteran; Today at 11:41 AM.
post #23918 of 23920 Old Today, 12:09 PM

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgnoj View Post
Thank you sir for your kind words
But should it be possible to chose from PLIIx Music and PLIIx Cinema in a 6.1 setup?
Btw, I have found Dolby Digital Ex and DTS Neo6, but not Cinema
Are you saying that when you go to Menu / Surround Mode / Dolby PLII, you can't toggle between Cinema and Music settings?
post #23919 of 23920 Old Today, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
Are you saying that when you go to Menu / Surround Mode / Dolby PLII, you can't toggle between Cinema and Music settings?

Yes sir, that is exactly the problem.

Also when I toggle the "Standard" button on the remote, the display toggles from Dolby Digital(or DTS) to Dolby Digital Ex, Dolby PLIIx Music and Neo6. So there is no Dolby PLIIx Cinema.

Last edited by edgnoj; Today at 03:38 PM. Reason: Added some text
post #23920 of 23920 Old Today, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
When you only have one back surround (6.1) then EX is the same as PLIIx Cinema. EX extracts a mono rear channel whereas PLIIx extracts a stereo back surround... but you only have one back surround speaker. So it's mono by definition, thus EX is the "cinema mode".

Music mode is a bit different as it spreads the surround signal and I think has some other minor differences. But PLIIx Cinema Is redundant with EX with only one back surround.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread