The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 802 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #24031 of 24049 Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Original query:

My 4311 has performed flawlessly for 4 years now...however, this evening, I stopped getting audio from all inputs (everything HDMI). Video still works fine. Did some google sleuthing and came up with various fixes. Of course, the first thing I tried was to make sure the inputs were assigned correctly and nobody accidentally hit a button they shouldn't have (happens with a 5 year old). Next I did a microprocessor reset...still nothing.

What really concerns me now is that even the test tones aren't making it to the speakers. I believe this tells me that it isn't an input issue at all since the test tones are local to the machine. My last ditch effort was to try blowing in the headphone jack..supposedly dust buildup over time has been known to trick the AVR into thinking headphones are plugged in...still nothing.

Am I missing anything or is my 4311 shaking its death rattle?

=================================================

Follow-up

Digging into it further, it seems like the receiver is not recognizing that I have speakers hooked up at all. I even tried just plugging in headphones to see if I could get sound and nothing. I used Pandora internally from the receiver through headphones and heard nothing.

I'm stumped.

Avarice

Last edited by _Avarice_; Yesterday at 10:38 PM. Reason: Updated for clarity...posts spanned pages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24032 of 24049 Old Today, 05:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
^^
Does the Tuner work? Try doing a soft reset by unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes. If still no joy, try doing about 4-5 microprocessor resets in a row as doing a few more has been known to resolve issues a single reset did not resolve.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #24033 of 24049 Old Today, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Thx for response, jd. I unplugged the power overnight and restored this morning; no change in status. I did at least 4 resets during the course of last evening, but not consecutively...so I will try that.

Another oddity: I cannot access the tuner. I'm hitting the button on the remote and it is not switching inputs. When using the manual input selector on the unit, it is not an option.

The left hand side of the 4311 display screen only shows "Dig" and nothing else. It used to display a number of speakers over there. I cannot recall if this is the "signal" side or my speakers. I also plugged in the Audyssey setup mic and cannot navigate anywhere on the main screen. "Auto Start" is highlighted by default and I cannot select it via the remote or the unit controls. Nor can I move up to "Amp Assign" or anything like that.

This all happened in the course of a few hours while the unit was on. I had left apple radio playing while I was out of the house for a couple hours. Came back to no sound.

Avarice
post #24034 of 24049 Old Today, 07:47 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
^^
Is it possible there was a power surge as this could have caused the current issue? Does sound like it's down for the count though.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #24035 of 24049 Old Today, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

It is possible, yes. But it just seems unlikely to me since all of the other AVR functions seem in good order. How would it fry only the audio side? If it affected the HDMI board I would expect video to be gone as well.

I just took a multimeter to some of my speakers to make sure they were electrically sound and the reading seems normal.

EDIT: also, nothing else in the house exhibited signs of a surge...no flashing lights on oven/microwave, etc.

Avarice
post #24036 of 24049 Old Today, 08:11 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post
It is possible, yes. But it just seems unlikely to me since all of the other AVR functions seem in good order. How would it fry only the audio side? If it affected the HDMI board I would expect video to be gone as well.

I just took a multimeter to some of my speakers to make sure they were electrically sound and the reading seems normal.

EDIT: also, nothing else in the house exhibited signs of a surge...no flashing lights on oven/microwave, etc.
It's also possible that something in the 4311 simply failed. Either way, it sounds like it's probably time to get it to a service center for repairs.
post #24037 of 24049 Old Today, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I just found my receipt from Electronics Expo...purchased 3/19/12. EIGHT DAYS OUT OF WARRANTY!! AARRRRGGGGHHHH

Avarice
post #24038 of 24049 Old Today, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I just found my receipt from Electronics Expo...purchased 3/19/12. EIGHT DAYS OUT OF WARRANTY!! AARRRRGGGGHHHH
Call them anyway. 8 days likely won't be a problem. 8 months, that's a different story.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #24039 of 24049 Old Today, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thx for response, jd. I unplugged the power overnight and restored this morning; no change in status. I did at least 4 resets during the course of last evening, but not consecutively...so I will try that.

Another oddity: I cannot access the tuner. I'm hitting the button on the remote and it is not switching inputs. When using the manual input selector on the unit, it is not an option.

The left hand side of the 4311 display screen only shows "Dig" and nothing else. It used to display a number of speakers over there. I cannot recall if this is the "signal" side or my speakers. I also plugged in the Audyssey setup mic and cannot navigate anywhere on the main screen. "Auto Start" is highlighted by default and I cannot select it via the remote or the unit controls. Nor can I move up to "Amp Assign" or anything like that.

This all happened in the course of a few hours while the unit was on. I had left apple radio playing while I was out of the house for a couple hours. Came back to no sound.
If you search this thread for my posts last summer you will see I had the same issue ... ended up that the DSP board went out and had to be replaced. Was playing some music that finished and then was sitting idle for maybe 20 minutes. Went back to play some more music and no sound, but video.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #24040 of 24049 Old Today, 09:03 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
What @blipszyc said. Your credit card may also add an extra year to the warranty, many do these days.
post #24041 of 24049 Old Today, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
If you search this thread for my posts last summer you will see I had the same issue ... ended up that the DSP board went out and had to be replaced. Was playing some music that finished and then was sitting idle for maybe 20 minutes. Went back to play some more music and no sound, but video.
Interesting! That is exactly my scenario. I left apple radio running while out of the house and it presumably shut off after awhile but receiver remained on.

Avarice
post #24042 of 24049 Old Today, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Call them anyway. 8 days likely won't be a problem. 8 months, that's a different story.
Yep, put in a call with support to see if they could help me out. Fingers crossed.

Avarice
post #24043 of 24049 Unread Today, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Denon is going to help me out which is awesome. Only downside is the nearest service center is hundreds of miles away and I have to ship at my cost and it'll probably take a couple of weeks. Still very pleased with outcome all things considered.

Appreciate everybody's advice.
gsr likes this.

Avarice
post #24044 of 24049 Unread Today, 05:29 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Denon is going to help me out which is awesome. ... Still very pleased with outcome all things considered.
That's good to hear.
post #24045 of 24049 Unread Today, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is 4311 'Protection Circuit' fast enough to protect the 4311 against speaker short at high load?

Hi, I have searched and read through this Denon 4311 thread to learn about the function of the 4311's 'Protection Circuit'...and I think that the 'Protection Circuit' will be fast enough to protect the 4311 against speaker short at high load.

But I'm not certain.

Can anybody advise me please.

---------------

A little more detail...my situation is, I have 33 year old Quad ESL-63 speakers (just rebuilt, all ES panels replaced and power supply rebuilt).

I have always driven the ESL-63s with a Quad 405-II amp designed for the purpose. The 63 speakers have inbuilt overload protection, i.e., they short the speaker input when an overload is detected...and when that happens it means that the amp driving the 63s has its power output shorted. That's OK for the Quad 405-II amp as its designed to be protected against having its its power output shorted.

Over the past few years I have been using the 4311's (stereo) FL and FR pre-amp line-outs to drive the Quad 405-II amp connected to the ESL-63s...all good.

But my 33 year old Quad 405-II amp just died.

So, I am now wanting to connect the Quad ESL-63 speakers directly to the Denon 4311's (stereo) speaker terminals and use the 4311's own power amps to drive the 63s.

Powers are matched, the 63s need about 100W and the 4311 can deliver that. The 63s are only a moderately difficult load to drive stably and I'm hoping that the 4311 can cope with that.

But, if somehow I overload the 63s, will the 4311 'Protection Circuit' be fast enough to protect the 4311 against speaker short at high load?

--------------

Can anyone point to a technical spec or circuit for the Denon 4311's 'Protection Circuit'? I have a friend who is an Electrical Engineer and who will advise me if I can give him sufficient technical info.

Thanks for your help.
post #24046 of 24049 Unread Today, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you recall trying to run Audyssey setup when you began having issues? For me, it's like the entire screen locks up. It won't let me hit auto-start or change amp assignments or anything.

Were you able to still switch between DSP modes even though the board was out? I still use all of these features; that's what I find so odd.

Avarice
post #24047 of 24049 Unread Today, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I immediately knew something was wrong, i did do several resets and when those didnt work i pulled it from th
e rack and put in my 4310 which worked perfectly. It was a 3 or 4 month process to get it fixed at a denon service center.
post #24048 of 24049 Unread Today, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I immediately knew something was wrong, i did do several resets and when those didnt work i pulled it from th
e rack and put in my 4310 which worked perfectly. It was a 3 or 4 month process to get it fixed at a denon service center.
3 or 4 months! That's disheartening.

Do you recall if you could still get the test tones? If the issue was DSP-related, I wouldn't expect this to affect the test tones, which I believe are stored/generated internally in the Denon. I figured the source of these tones is analog and wouldn't involve the DSP.

Avarice

Last edited by _Avarice_; Today at 08:34 PM.
post #24049 of 24049 Unread Today, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall if i even tried the test tones. There really wasnt any reason to do further troubleshooting as it was obvious that a circuit board related to the audio was the problem. Do you have some headphones, if so plug them in to see if you get sound through them. When i took it in to the denon repair shop, they thought it was the hdmi board, but i knew it wasnt that since i had video from hdmi and had the infamous hdmi board go out in my 4310 so i was a little familar with that issue. Anyways, since i had the 4310 and a spare 3805 i wasnt to concerned about the length of time.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page