The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 804 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #24091 of 24119 Old 04-27-2015, 06:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3759 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
^^
And just to add .. the additional year offered by VISA should work, although will depend on the issuer as to whether documentation is required or not.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24092 of 24119 Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The visa sig warranty sucks- they make you jump through hoops! You'll have to get an estimate for it (which you will pay for) then send in and wait.
Amex is awesome- call them up, file claim, the cost of the product is credited back to your account within a day. You don't even have to send product back.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #24093 of 24119 Old 04-29-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question ........... do you guys use the Dynamic Volume option?

My set up is ....
Dynamic EQ = ON
Dynamic Volume = Day

seems like it makes the speech stand out a bit more and I don't lose much on the effects ... I think ...

Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch, Denon AVR 4311ci, Ascend Sierra-1 NrT, Ascend HTM-200 (surrounds), Rythmik F12, WD TV Live Media Player, Samsung BD ES6000, Denon DVD-2910 & Sony BDP-S370 SACD/DVDa, Monster HTS 5100 MKI, Monster Z2 Biwire, Logitech Harmony One, Sennheiser HD600, Schiit Modi/Vali
post #24094 of 24119 Old 04-29-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
Question ........... do you guys use the Dynamic Volume option?

My set up is ....
Dynamic EQ = ON
Dynamic Volume = Day

seems like it makes the speech stand out a bit more and I don't lose much on the effects ... I think ...
Fortunately for me, I live in a house, not much noise gets past my property line and I have no kids to worry about. Only thing I have to worry about is structural damage to the house and contents. If I can't hear the dialog I just turn up the volume.

Dynamic EQ - On
Dynamic Volume - Off
post #24095 of 24119 Old 04-29-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For TV I use:

Dynamic EQ - On
Dynamic Volume - Day

for Movies when I can crank up the volume (ie no kids or wife sleeping) I use:

Dynamic EQ - On
Dynamic Volume - Off

I find "Dynamic Volume - Day" is really good for TV as it stops the ad's from deafening you and keeps the dialogue audible at all times.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #24096 of 24119 Old 04-29-2015, 06:10 PM

I tested changing Dynamic Volume to OFF on a movie I know very well ... to be honest the biggest thing changed was how dialog became a bit muted ... not as loud/pronounced. All of the sound effects, bass, etc was almost identical but voice did become a bit louder when I changed back to Dynamic Volume = DAY. Not sure which one I prefer more ... maybe something in between would be perfect, but I am very used to the DAY setting. I rarely have a problem of not hearing dialog which I love. I just want to make sure that keeping it at DAY won't get rid of those great 5-20hz bass scenes.

Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch, Denon AVR 4311ci, Ascend Sierra-1 NrT, Ascend HTM-200 (surrounds), Rythmik F12, WD TV Live Media Player, Samsung BD ES6000, Denon DVD-2910 & Sony BDP-S370 SACD/DVDa, Monster HTS 5100 MKI, Monster Z2 Biwire, Logitech Harmony One, Sennheiser HD600, Schiit Modi/Vali
post #24097 of 24119 Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
So i have connected an optical cable to the AVR, this is connected to a wireless headphone's transmitter base.
Now what is the input i should choose on the remote to get audio into this headphone transmitter base?
I've connected this to this port below.

The Headphone is a Sennheiser RS 175 (link)

The audio cable is a AudioQuest - OptiLink Forest (link)

Appreciate your responses.
post #24098 of 24119 Old 04-29-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
So i have connected an optical cable to the AVR, this is connected to a wireless headphone's transmitter base.
Now what is the input i should choose on the remote to get audio into this headphone transmitter base?

The Headphone is a Sennheiser RS 175 (link)

See GSR's response immediately following mine. He has pointed out my incorrect advice.

Last edited by duc135; 04-29-2015 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect information.
post #24099 of 24119 Old 04-29-2015, 08:04 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
You'll get better results if you connect the headphone's transmitter base to the optical output (move it over to the right by 2 connections) rather than an input. But you'll need to consult the manual to figure out what input sources can be routed to that optical output and how to go about doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
The optical connectors on the 4311 are inputs, not outputs. You will need to connect your headphone base to the analog FL/FR pre-outs on the bottom left using an RCA-stereo adapter. If not, you can connect the base to the optical output on your source device (CD/DVD/BD players).
One of the optical connections actually is an output. Using the pre-outs may not be desirable if speakers are also hooked up to the AVR as the volume control on the AVR will affect the speakers and the headphone output at the same time.
post #24100 of 24119 Old 04-29-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
One of the optical connections actually is an output. Using the pre-outs may not be desirable if speakers are also hooked up to the AVR as the volume control on the AVR will affect the speakers and the headphone output at the same time.
By golly, you are absolutely right. I didn't even notice that. Thanks for the correction. Removed my bad advice.

Last edited by duc135; 04-29-2015 at 08:16 PM.
post #24101 of 24119 Old 04-30-2015, 05:11 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

You'll need to connect a source device optical to one of the optical inputs (one of which is circled) in order to get audio from the optical output. However, if you connect to the Zone 2 pre-outs, you can pass any analog source or optical/digital coax source that is passing PCM 2.0 audio.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #24102 of 24119 Old 04-30-2015, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
See GSR's response immediately following mine. He has pointed out my incorrect advice.
No problem mate, this AVR is a gold mine working with this is like finding a new function on this, hard to keep up with everything.

Quote:
You'll get better results if you connect the headphone's transmitter base to the optical output (move it over to the right by 2 connections) rather than an input. But you'll need to consult the manual to figure out what input sources can be routed to that optical output and how to go about doing so.

Thanks for your reply. I have shifted the optical cable to the optical output port.
But now i have a hard time figuring out on how to change the audio sources. The Headphone's instruction manual does not say anything about this.
It be great if you could you please guide me where can i find how to the audio sources?
Having a hard time following on this. The headphone is considered as a Home Theater grade headphone.
I have a few other high end headphones such as the HD800 and the LCD-X, HifiMan HE-500, all have outputs coming through various Amps and DAC's, but this headphone that i want to attach to the AVR is targetted for Movies and surround sound for home theater sound effects.
Again the headphone is a Sennheiser RS 175

Please guide.
post #24103 of 24119 Old 04-30-2015, 06:06 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I have shifted the optical cable to the optical output port.
But now i have a hard time figuring out on how to change the audio sources. The Headphone's instruction manual does not say anything about this.
It be great if you could you please guide me where can i find how to the audio sources?
Having a hard time following on this. The headphone is considered as a Home Theater grade headphone.
I have a few other high end headphones such as the HD800 and the LCD-X, HifiMan HE-500, all have outputs coming through various Amps and DAC's, but this headphone that i want to attach to the AVR is targetted for Movies and surround sound for home theater sound effects.
Again the headphone is a Sennheiser RS 175

Please guide.
I no longer own a 4311 and don't recall how the source for the DVR output gets selected (maybe it follows the Zone 2 selection?). I also have absolutely no experience with the headphones you're using, so I can't give you any advice on how to select the source on the input box for them other than to read the manual. JD's advice may work out better for you though, as you would select the zone 2 source on the 4311. Keep in mind though, that you'll be limited to using devices that are connected to the 4311 via analog or digital (optical or coaxial), you won't be able to get audio from devices that are only connected via HDMI.
post #24104 of 24119 Old 04-30-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Fortunately for me, I live in a house, not much noise gets past my property line and I have no kids to worry about. Only thing I have to worry about is structural damage to the house and contents. If I can't hear the dialog I just turn up the volume.

Dynamic EQ - On
Dynamic Volume - Off

I think I found my sweet spot ....

Dynamic EQ = ON
Dynamic Volume = Day

but ... i took 0.5 off of channel volume for center channel. That makes it blend in a bit better with the rest of the scene and still makes dialog pop. Like I said before, switching Dynamic Volume to OFF just makes dialog harder to hear, considering my center channel is about 18 feet away from me and thus lots of sound distortions happen in that space.

post #24105 of 24119 Old 04-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You'll need to connect a source device optical to one of the optical inputs (one of which is circled) in order to get audio from the optical output. However, if you connect to the Zone 2 pre-outs, you can pass any analog source or optical/digital coax source that is passing PCM 2.0 audio.
My apologies for all the dumb question, but i havent been so confused before with this AVR. I've explored this AVR quite a bit, and all of my HDMI ports are used by some or the other component in my 44U AV rack.
The satellite cable, XBox, HTPC (most used) are the main devices that i will be using that will require audio through headphone
The headphone is an output device right, so thats not the source device? Am i supposed to attach the optical cable to the output or one of the Input 1(TV), 2(DVR) as seen below? Or as i was asked previously to attach it to the Out port 2(DVR)?

So one thing is for sure, that this will work from Zone 2? I am still not sure how to get the audio once i switch zone 2 on the remote. Cos the audio still comes through the main 7.1 speakers.

Quote:
I no longer own a 4311 and don't recall how the source for the DVR output gets selected (maybe it follows the Zone 2 selection?). I also have absolutely no experience with the headphones you're using, so I can't give you any advice on how to select the source on the input box for them other than to read the manual. JD's advice may work out better for you though, as you would select the zone 2 source on the 4311. Keep in mind though, that you'll be limited to using devices that are connected to the 4311 via analog or digital (optical or coaxial), you won't be able to get audio from devices that are only connected via HDMI.
Sir, all my devices are attached to HDMI ports. Does it mean i wont get audio from any of the sources on this? My bad, just going through a paranoia.
post #24106 of 24119 Old 04-30-2015, 01:13 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Correct. None of the devices connected only with an HDMI cable will pass to either Zone 2 or the Optical output, rather only PCM 2.0 optical/digital coax and analog sources will pass to Zone 2 so you will need to connect a non-HDMI cable along with the HDMI cable. Also, the only sources that will pass to the optical output is if it is connected to one of the two optical inputs.
holyindian likes this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #24107 of 24119 Unread 04-30-2015, 03:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Also, the only sources that will pass to the optical output is if it is connected to one of the two optical inputs.
The coax digital inputs won't pass to the optical output? If so, that's kind of an odd restriction.
post #24108 of 24119 Unread 04-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Doesnt HDMI carry both audio and video signals?
So why would i need to connect analogue or optical cables from the xbox, cable or the htpc's graphic card to the 4311's optical input?
Plus if i have 6 different sources connecting to the avr's hdmi ports, how can i connect 6 additional different analogue or optical cables to the 4311ci, cos the receiver has only two optical inputs.

I am sorry if i misunderstood this.

Does Denon's customer support have a tech help with these kinds of issues over the phone?
post #24109 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 04:40 AM
585-645-1006

^^
HDMI audio cannot be down converted to optical or analog on an AVR. Much easier to just connect a set of analog (red/white) cables from any source you want to listen to using the headphones to the 4311CI to pass the audio to the Zone 2 pre-outs, keeping the HDMI cable connected for the main zone audio.
holyindian likes this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #24110 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]

Quote:
^^
HDMI audio cannot be down converted to optical or analog on an AVR. Much easier to just connect a set of analog (red/white) cables from any source you want to listen to using the headphones to the 4311CI to pass the audio to the Zone 2 pre-outs, keeping the HDMI cable connected for the main zone audio.

Not for any actual technical reason tho, it's caused by the DRM forced on us by the content mafia!

Interestingly tho you can buy HDMI to optical converters from China via eBay that will strip the DRM from HDMI. With the 4311 you could plug it into HDMI out 2 and set both HDMI out outputs to on.
holyindian likes this.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #24111 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 04:49 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post
Not for any actual technical reason tho, it's caused by the DRM forced on us by the content mafia!
I believe cost is really the issue here as they would need a 2nd decoder to handle Dolby Digital, Dolby True HD, DTS, DTS HD Master Audio, etc. decoding AND extra hardware to handle downmixing to 2 channels, etc. for the extra zones. Since it seems as though a relatively small number of users even use the extra zones, there isn't much justification for adding that extra cost to the product. Of course if the extra zones were more flexible, more people might use them.
holyindian likes this.
post #24112 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 04:51 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
The coax digital inputs won't pass to the optical output? If so, that's kind of an odd restriction.
They would likely work as well ... just not HDMI --> optical.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #24113 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^
That all makes sense now.
Off to Fry's now to get half a dozen RCA cables. Damn, i will have to get behind my rack and open up a lot cable ties to get things in that tight spot and still preserve the organized cable structure.
Thanks so much @jdsmoothie , @gsr and @djos for your responses, and replying to all my dumb questions since last three days.
I am gonna attach these today itself and report back on how it goes.
post #24114 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

I was taking a stock of the connection ports on the back of my components so that i can grab the cables from the local fry's store, the satellite cable receiver has the RCA analogue so i am good with that, however the HTPC and the Xbox does not have the RCA cable option.
The HTPC has a S/PIDF out, and the XBOX also has a S/PIDF port on the back.
Do i need to get a S/PIDF to optical cable cable (optical cable connector on one end, and the RCA on the other), or can i just get optical cables for these sources and connect them to the optical inputs on the back of the 4311CI?
post #24115 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
That all makes sense now.
Off to Fry's now to get half a dozen RCA cables. Damn, i will have to get behind my rack and open up a lot cable ties to get things in that tight spot and still preserve the organized cable structure.
Thanks so much @jdsmoothie , @gsr and @djos for your responses, and replying to all my dumb questions since last three days.
I am gonna attach these today itself and report back on how it goes.
Another, possibly easier option is just to hook up the headphone through your TV and set the Denon to pass the HDMI audio to your TV when it is turned off.
Workflow would be to select source you want to watch/listen on 4311 then turn it off. Video and audio will be passed to TV.

This does involve enabling HDMI CEC (HDMI Control) which could open up a can of worms depending on how you have things setup.
post #24116 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent A View Post
So I ordered a UMIK-1 and I am connecting my laptops HDMI output to the HDMI input on the front of the AVR, I have HDMI 7 assigned to V-AUX in the Input Assign menu, but I get nothing on the monitor.
I did verify that the cable was good and the laptop was outputting by running it through an HDMI input I normally use for the PS3 (HDMI 5 - GAME) and it worked fine. Just would rather use the convenience of the front HDMI input, but I can't seem to get it active.

Anyone else run into this or any trouble shooting ideas?
I run a Microsoft Surface and an Acer laptop via HDMI thru the front port on my 4311 (no easy access to the rear) with wonderful results, minus audio being output from the rears and the surround from the fronts. Makes for an interesting way to watch things I assure you! But it DOES work. Double check the input is assigned correctly is my best & only guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post
The hdmi board on my 4311 died, so I sent it in for repair (I think it is 4 years 7 months old).The shop called to say that the part it needs is no longer available and a replacement will be sent to be from Denon.

If you have a unit and the hdmi board goes out, you're screwed. Also, as much as I hope that I get a newer model, I have a feeling they'll send me a refurbed 4311.
Question is WHY the HDMI board went out...at least to me. My 4311 (knock on wood) replaced a faulty 4310 that just one day refused to play nice with the TV it had worked on for the prior 6 months. Denon sent another 4310 and that had messed up HDMI ports that just didn't work at all while the other ports worked fine. Denon got sick of me and sent a refurb 4311 (what I have now for over a year) and I am so grateful for it. Denon takes care of you. Getting another 4311 is in no way a bad thing, but I have a feeling as popular as they were, there aren't any left, and they'll send a 4520. But I don't know, just commenting primarily on how great Denon service can be as long as you stay on top of things and don't lose your temper.

Main: Mitsubishi 73734 DLP|Amazon Fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Panasonic BD65|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 DIY Class 'G' 540w 12" Subs|APC H15|Harmony 720 Remote|Linksys E3000 Dual Band N-Router|Linksys SE2500 Ethernet Switch

MBR: Vizio VF550M|Roku 2XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PureAV PF30|Harmony 550 Remote
post #24117 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just connect my Sennheisers (160) to the headphone jack when I want to use them. I don't use mine often enough to warrant a permanent connection, plus it is designed to be portable so on occasion they are used in other locations than where the 4311 is.

Main: Mitsubishi 73734 DLP|Amazon Fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Panasonic BD65|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 DIY Class 'G' 540w 12" Subs|APC H15|Harmony 720 Remote|Linksys E3000 Dual Band N-Router|Linksys SE2500 Ethernet Switch

MBR: Vizio VF550M|Roku 2XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PureAV PF30|Harmony 550 Remote
post #24118 of 24119 Unread Yesterday, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
I run a Microsoft Surface and an Acer laptop via HDMI thru the front port on my 4311 (no easy access to the rear) with wonderful results, minus audio being output from the rears and the surround from the fronts. Makes for an interesting way to watch things I assure you! But it DOES work. Double check the input is assigned correctly is my best & only guess.
I've triple checked all my input assignments, un-assigning and re-assigning it again and again. Tried different start-up routines and different cables just to rule out a handshake issue, but still nothing from the front port. When I connect it to one of the rear ports, it immediately works fiine.

My next plan is to do a reset, but I just haven't had any time to play with it anymore this week.
post #24119 of 24119 Unread Today, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone in here using Digital to Analog converter such as this..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/agptek-d...uId=1307279342

I believe to convert from optical toslink to RCA this is what i will need.
Two of my sources have optical toslink jack's on them, they dont have the RCA, which includes the XBOX, and HTPC.
I tried attaching the optical cable from the Xbox to the DVR In of the AVR, and the other optical cable from avr out to the headphones transmitter base, and still wouldnt get sound. However the funny part is, when i turn the AVR off, and restart it, for a fraction of second when the avr reboots, the sound from the source is heard, and then it vanishes.
I think the optical toslink to rca converter might resolve this?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page