The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 822 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 109Likes

post #24631 of 24655 Old 01-26-2017, 09:28 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7020 Post(s)
Liked: 3914
Firmware Update

I received a FW update for my 4311 this evening. Anyone know what it contained?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24632 of 24655 Old 01-26-2017, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I received a FW update for my 4311 this evening. Anyone know what it contained?
I haven't performed the update yet, but I'm guessing it's the fix for Pandora.
post #24633 of 24655 Old 01-26-2017, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longeze View Post
Hi, Could someone tell me the procedure for recovering a deleted source? I had deleted the "Game" input from the GUI and would like to add it back now. When I press that input button on my remote it won't come up in the source list. Thanks in advance for your help!
Go to Menu>manual setup(gear w/wrench)>option(suitcase)>source delete

post #24634 of 24655 Old 01-27-2017, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I haven't performed the update yet, but I'm guessing it's the fix for Pandora.
Yep, fixes Pandora issue.

Pistol Pete
post #24635 of 24655 Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdca7718 View Post
Go to Menu>manual setup(gear w/wrench)>option(suitcase)>source delete
Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out with that! I think I lost 20 IQ points in the process )
post #24636 of 24655 Old 01-27-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Shoot - after the update, I lost all my favorites
post #24637 of 24655 Old 01-27-2017, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After the update I tried Pandora and it did not work. It tells me not in this country and then tells me my network is not working.
Oh well I don't use Pandora, I use Spotify mostly and I use my tv or laptop to play on the Denon.
post #24638 of 24655 Old 01-28-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having an odd issue with my AVR-A100. I had Control4 installed recently and we couldn't get the receiver to turn on via network control. Additionally, the power button and source select knob don't work. I can still turn the receiver on via IR so it is currently being controlled that way, but I'd like to get network control working. Unfortunately, I can't do any reset because the power button isn't functioning. Any thoughts, settings I'm missing, or other troubleshooting tips?
post #24639 of 24655 Old 01-28-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Pandora works fine after the update but Rhapsody/napster remains broken.
post #24640 of 24655 Old 01-31-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I just breathed new life into my AVR-4311:
* I use it in my home office - pair of powered studio monitors provide the sound
* I use Roon to play music from my media server. All 33K songs ripped to FLAC (lossless).
* I was using AirPlay to get the music to the AVR-4311, but Roon showed just how just audio goodness was being stripped by Air Play.
* I bought a Raspberry PI with a HiFiBerry Digi+ card (cost < $100). Loaded the Roon Bridge server on the Raspberry PI.
* Now, through Ethernet (works on WiFi too), I get my FLAC in full fidelity! Feeding the audio from the Pi to the Denon with digital coax (the card has Toslink too).
* I switched on the long-forgotten Pure Direct mode. It's even nicer now.

It sounds amazing!
Briant73 and 65Goat like this.
post #24641 of 24655 Old 02-02-2017, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Discrete Codes for the 4311

Hi, I have a question about using my Harmony One remote to change the setting of the HDMI output from Amp to TV using a discrete code. Is that possible with my Harmony and my 4311. It's a pain to have to navigate through the menu of my 4311 in order to make that change, which I do on a regular basis, depending on what type of programming I'm watching.

Thanks in advance.

It used to be:"Wine, Women and Song"Now it's: "Beer, The Old Lady and TV"My Theater Build http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Gr...?sort=6&page=1
post #24642 of 24655 Old 02-02-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3643 Post(s)
Liked: 3487
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregavi View Post
Hi, I have a question about using my Harmony One remote to change the setting of the HDMI output from Amp to TV using a discrete code. Is that possible with my Harmony and my 4311. It's a pain to have to navigate through the menu of my 4311 in order to make that change, which I do on a regular basis, depending on what type of programming I'm watching.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, discrete Input commands should be pre-loaded on your Harmony remote when you added the device to your profile. Any button that's on the factory remote should be represented in the Harmony setup.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #24643 of 24655 Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Yes, discrete Input commands should be pre-loaded on your Harmony remote when you added the device to your profile. Any button that's on the factory remote should be represented in the Harmony setup.
Thanks batpig.
But there is no dedicated button on the factory remote that toggles that function. My question was, is there a discrete code that would toggle that command without navigating through the menu.

It used to be:"Wine, Women and Song"Now it's: "Beer, The Old Lady and TV"My Theater Build http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Gr...?sort=6&page=1
post #24644 of 24655 Old 02-03-2017, 09:11 AM

I'm making some progress on this as I have found the discrete code list for the 4311 which includes what I am looking for which is:
HDMI Audio Out (Toggle)
HDMI Audio Out TV
HDMI Audio Out Amp

I'm just not sure what to do with the codes though. I'm not sure if I need a Pronto or RC5000 remote in order to input the codes and then learn them to the Harmony. I guess that's a question for a different thread.

post #24645 of 24655 Old 02-03-2017, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3643 Post(s)
Liked: 3487
Oops, I thought you were talking about input selection! You might want to read through my blog post here: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=117

You can send the raw hex code to Harmony and they will add the discretes.
thepainter likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #24646 of 24655 Old 02-03-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Oops, I thought you were talking about input selection! You might want to read through my blog post here: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=117

Now we're getting somewhere.
Thanks batpig!

post #24647 of 24655 Old 02-03-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:

The link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7593163/Hex to Harmony Rev2.zip
is a dead end and the Routine System Maintenance doesn't seem to work with the new Harmony software.

post #24648 of 24655 Old 02-19-2017, 05:11 PM

I was able to get the following discrete commands working with my Harmony One remote.

HDMI Audio Out Amp
HDMI Audio Out TV
HDMI Audio Out Toggle

I did this by sending the HEX codes to Harmony. With the help from William Wong (with an assist to batpig) from Harmony, I now have the ability to change the HDMI Out from TV > Amp and back without navigating through the menus. I big time saver/convenience for me.
batpig likes this.

post #24649 of 24655 Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy

I am not that talented when using audio equipment testing gear, software, or other fancy methods of measurement. My ears are also just average. (They work but are not golden). However, this 40Hz "bug" issue, I am suspect of. It simply makes no sense that just setting a crossover at 40Hz causes a polarity problem. Also, if I understand the original posters question, the perceived "Polarity" issue is from just listening.

So, correct me if I am wrong in covering this issue but here is my layman's understanding of the issue.

1) this problem occurs when playing LFE + Main and setting the Fronts crossover to 40Hz within the 4311
2) The configuration involves two sub powered towers upfront + 2 Subs for a total of four low Bass drivers.
3) I am assuming the front towers are placed left and right of the viewing area and up against or closer to the front wall.
4). As mentioned, the problem is not really verified by anyone else and in addition most people do not even recommend setting LFE + Main as this really adds too much Bass. Most other posters, including myself do not use LFE + Main.

Soundofmind just mentioned what has been deeply discussed in this thread and others. I can also verify in my nearly square 16 ft listening room the fact that placing my subs on the front wall, where so many people stick towers is absolutely the worst place to put Bass Drivers in my room. Where I am going with this. I think it should be considered that by placing these big low playing Towers up front and then having the standard subs wherever you have them, that when the 4311 Crossover is set to 40Hz what really is happening is that all 4 drivers are creating a super knarly null field that is being interpreted as some kind of polarity issue at the 4311. Now, I may be wrong but first I'd shut off the whole LFE + Main feature and just try your subs EQ'd and at the 40Hz point. Then try just the towers with no subs at all. Finally, move your towers around some place radically different and re-EQ and try the whole thing again at LFE + Main; of course EQ this as well. Even if the towers are at some strange temporary place, all you are trying to determine is if your bass response is compromised by the location of your towers. Or attempting to verify a weird "bug" in the AVR by ear alone.

I strongly suspect that there is no "polarity" bug but rather a room/speaker problem. You are most likely just making one whopper of a null field with all that redundant Bass coming from 4 drivers really poorly placed.

I tried to respond in plain talk and not go all technical. If you want further information regarding sub crawling and towers in the front; as Soundofmind mentioned, this particular thread is plumb full of these discussions. I too had a problem that could only be solved by really moving my subs all over the place. It took days of trying before I got it right for me. I still want bigger subs but that's for another time.

I'll go over my findings with the 4311. First I use my ears along with a RS sound meter, I did use testing hardware and test tone software to confirm what I was hearing. The problem I found to be was that the mains change phase to the relationship to the subs when switching between large and small speaker settings in the 4311 menu. The spell it out, if the sub is inphase with the small speaker setting it will be out of phase when set to large. If the sub is inphase with the large setting it with be out of phase when switched to small. The LFE + Main has to be on to force the low freqs to both sub and mains when in the large setting.... I used full range (large) and 40,50,60,70,80,90,100,120hz. Inphase reinforces the lowend and out of phase causes a cancellation. Or till either the sub or mains over power the cancellation effect ( one set will need to be at a much higher output level). I believe the phase flip happens by turning the 4311 xover software on or off or the LFE + Main mode. LFE + Main needs to be used so the lowend goes to both subs and mains when set to large. I would only guess to say why so many say don't use LFE + Main it sounds muddy or just not right. Or the low end becomes over blowen, all are affects of what happens when full range main flip phase.
Hi all,

Just wanted to share something with every Denon avr4311 owner. The original complaint from 'joehonest' about the polarity issue when using LFE+main is a true flaw/bug in the Denon itself.

This has been reported by him in this thread like 5 years ago (somewhere around pages 480-490), but I ran into this issue by accident last weekend when I was playing around with the LFE+main setting and measuring the frequency response of my mains together with the subwoofer. I measured with REW and a UMIK-1 mic btw.

So, in short this is the issue:
- The subwoofer output is reversed in polarity the moment you are using a LFE+main setting together with sub(s). This is independent on the 'crossover' setting (40/60/80 hz).

So, I can confirm this bug in the Denon 4311, but there is a nice catch to this:
- It only reproduces when you use analog inputs as input! Whenever you use HDMI as input this bug cannot be reproduced.

Just wanted to share with you this info and catch. Most people use small setting and also HDMI, so there will not be many people having a real problem with this issue.

wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Denon AVR-4311 | Denon DBT-1713UD | Dune BD Prime 3.0 | Klipsch R-115SW | Klipsch RP-260F | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-250F | miniDSP 2x4 | QNAP TS219P (2x1.5 TB) | VdHul - Profigold - VLS | Samsung Full HD 116 cm LED TV | Xbox One | Philips HUE lighting
post #24650 of 24655 Old 04-11-2017, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No Sound

Turned on my 4311 receiver today and I have no sound. If I set it to stereo mode and turn the volume all the way to max I can hear a faint sound but that is it. Did a search on this problem online and have tried the following;
Cleaned headphone jack
Unplugged power for 30 minutes
Reset microprocessor several times
Tried several HDMI inputs
Changed HDMI cable
I did try internet radio function and sound came on full blast with no volume control and the I then went back to DVD input and sound started to work but cut out and then came on max volume with no control.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I assume it needs to go in for repair. Will this be expensive? Should I just cut my losses and get another receiver?

Thanks
Greg
post #24651 of 24655 Old 04-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 306 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13081 Post(s)
Liked: 6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNtroll View Post
Turned on my 4311 receiver today and I have no sound. If I set it to stereo mode and turn the volume all the way to max I can hear a faint sound but that is it. Did a search on this problem online and have tried the following;
Cleaned headphone jack
Unplugged power for 30 minutes
Reset microprocessor several times
Tried several HDMI inputs
Changed HDMI cable
I did try internet radio function and sound came on full blast with no volume control and the I then went back to DVD input and sound started to work but cut out and then came on max volume with no control.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I assume it needs to go in for repair. Will this be expensive? Should I just cut my losses and get another receiver?

Thanks
Greg
You could likely get an estimate from a local shop, however, you're better served putting the money into a more current model.
post #24652 of 24655 Old 04-12-2017, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you decide to re-invest, I would pay something for the as-is remains...
post #24653 of 24655 Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Here are some useful keystrokes:

NETWORK RESET:

Press and hold the Up/Down arrows during a receiver power on the AVR

DISPLAY FIRMWARE VERSION:

Press/hold the STATUS/RETURN buttons while powering on the AVR

PROCESSOR RESET:

Press simultaneously the STANDARD and DSP buttons while powering on the AVR
Thanks a million for the reset process.

Saved me tons of time trying to figure out what the kids did to my toy during a sleepover.

Cheers!
post #24654 of 24655 Old 04-21-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Junkie View Post
Thanks a million for the reset process.

Saved me tons of time trying to figure out what the kids did to my toy during a sleepover.

Cheers!
Did a microprocessor reset solve your problem?

post #24655 of 24655 Old Today, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 314
OK...stupid question...HOW do I get the 4311 to keep ONE IP address instead of it always changing? For years I have always just adapted but tired of going to my browser only to say that IP isn't any good.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page