AVS Forum banner
2M views 25K replies 1K participants last post by  TheVolumnus1 
#1 ·

Hard to believe with all the buzz going on that no-one has bothered to open a thread on what looks to be a killer-receiver (to me at least)...

So here goes!

My first question would be the following:

We already know that this receiver will be 11.2 capable with external amplification, but will the internal amps be assignable?

If not, you'll probably be stuck using the internal amps for your 9.2 setup (including your mains) and adding the external amp for a wide/height/SB channel (whatever Denon decides).

If yes, which I much prefer, the 2 added channels of external amplification could be assignable to the front speakers for instance.

This way you could set-up your system with a quality external amp for your mains and keep the internal amps for the remaining speakers...

I admit, I've been out of the game for quite some time (still the owner of an AVR-3801 currently! Hence the interest in the 4311 ) so apologies in advance if I'm missing the obvious here, but at this point it's the only thing unclear to me.

EDIT:

Batpig suggested it would be a good idea to make a FAQ section in the first post of this thread and who am I to refuse.

So here goes, the first little FAQ trivia, courtesy of batpig.

Special thx goes out to jdsmoothie for keeping me informed on the FW updates!!!

FAQ

Where can I find more info on this behemoth?
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5414.asp

What is the difference between the 4311ci and the A100?

A100 gets the following over 4311:

- Gloss Finish

- 100th Anniversary badge

- 100th anniversary block condensers

- Gold plated terminals

- Premium upgraded speaker binding posts

- Cast iron feet

- 5 year warranty

- Brand history book

- Inspection sheet

- fancy box

In terms of processing / amps / internals they are otherwise identical.

Which possible combinations of internal and external amps are there?

- You can have ANY combination of internal and external amps. You can power 5 speakers with external amps and 4 with internal... you can power 3 with external and 8 with internal.... you can power 2 with external and 9 with internal.... 9 with external and 2 with internal.... IT'S ALL GOOD. The ONLY thing you can't do is power 11 speakers internally...... because there are only 9 amps built in!

- The ONLY exception is that, because the receiver only has 9 amps built in, when you activate 11 channel mode, the receiver forces you to choose whether the FIRST TWO extra channels will be the heights or the front L/R mains.

How do I activate the preouts?

- You do not need to activate anything. When you are in 11ch mode, ALL THE PREOUTS ARE HOT at all times. You don't have to assign anything or set anything beyond the selection for the first two externally amped channels, the preouts are ALL HOT.

Then what is preamp mode for?

- PREAMP MODE however disconnects the signal from ALL the amps, so you should ONLY use this mode if you are using ONLY external amps for all channels. You cannot "shut off" specific amps internally, so if you will be using any of the internal amps for the main zone, you cannot use PREAMP mode.

A100 Firmware Updates
1. GUI issue fixes and using Party Mode Plus when networking
2. Audio drop out issues (12/22/10)
3. "Blue rain" video issue resolved (1/24/2011)
4. See items added below (7/1/11)
- Last.fm for German. (E2 only)
- It fails in the DPMS update of the firmware when the product is connected with "Control4".
- When Page Up/Down is done in the music list of iRadio, the product is frozen.
- When network connection speed is slow, the error occurs in the display of the FL tube.
- There is a case that the backup data of the parameter etc. initializes.
- There is a case where the network doesn't start.
- When the NSE command of AMX is sent, the data of the answer is wrong.
5. See items below (7/30/11)
- Allow connectivity to new Rhapsody servers
- Improve network connectivity
6. Allow connectivity to Pandora servers (12/19/12)

Note: If you have installed the Airplay firmware upgrade, the firmware version number on your unit will be incremented by 0001.

4311CI Firmware Updates
1. Fixes Party Mode feature, Pop Up menu function, USB functionality and also to the IP/232 controllability.
2. Audio drop out issues (12/22/10)
3. "Blue rain" video issue resolved (1/24/2011)
4. See A100 updates (7/1/11)
5. See A100 updates (7/30/11)
6. See A100 update (12/19/12)

Note: If you have installed the Airplay firmware upgrade, the firmware version number on your unit will be incremented by 0001.

See less See more
#23,881 ·
Swap the connections in the back of the receiver. IOW plug your right speaker to the left speaker output and vice versa with the left speaker. Now run the setup again. Does the setting follow the speaker (left +4 and right -3) or does the setting stay where it was at originally (left -3 and right +4)? If it follows the speaker then there might be an issue with your speaker. If it stays the same then there may be an issue with your right channel amp. Are these new speakers or a new receiver?
Swap the left and right speakers. If the problem moves with the speaker, then the speaker is at fault. If the problem stays with the same channel, then it isn't the speakers.
Thanks guys I had already tried that. Ended up resetting it, problem solved. :)

#23,882 ·
Losing OSD after Airplay

Hi, I'm experiencing a reproducible issue after using Airplay streaming from my Mac. The connection and playback is fine, however, once stopped I no longer am able to access the on-screen display.

Additionally, when cycling through sources using the source-select button on the remote and source select knob on the receiver I am unable to choose the DVR input. I am able to select the DVR input using the DVR button on the remote.

This problem occurs every time I use Airplay. The only solution I have found is to unplug the receiver for a few minutes. Once plugged back in the OSD returns as does the source select menu.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas for a lasting solution? I tried resetting the microprocessor in the past, which helped only briefly.

Thanks,
Pani

#23,883 ·
I'm trying to save my configuration through the web interface but my 4311 never goes into the "Saving" mode on the screen. After about 2 minutes I get prompted to save a .dat file, but it appears to be empty. All other web functions seem to work properly. Any ideas?

#23,884 ·
I'm trying to save my configuration through the web interface but my 4311 never goes into the "Saving" mode on the screen. After about 2 minutes I get prompted to save a .dat file, but it appears to be empty. All other web functions seem to work properly. Any ideas?
In my experience, the success rate of the network save is higher if the network is set to "Off in Standby", rather than "Always On". Is that the setting you are using?

#23,885 ·
In my experience, the success rate of the network save is higher if the network is set to "Off in Standby", rather than "Always On". Is that the setting you are using?
Thank you! I do recall from many years ago that I had to change the Standby setting to OFF to get the save to work. I currently have it set to ON. I'll try it again when I get home tonight!

#23,886 ·
Hi folks -

Question for the wisdom of the crowd, which I hope will be quick:

I am trying (without success) to have analog audio output from the AVR-4311ci always on... Essentially, I am trying to pass whatever audio is being picked up by the receiver to a Sonos system, essentially so I can continue to listen to the audio channel of my video source(s) when I walk around the house.

I had been assuming that I could hijack the DVR L/R output port on the back and pass the audio out that way, but I haven't been able to find a way to pull that off.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or is that just not possible with this receiver?

- R

#23,888 ·
I went to a high-end audio store on Saturday and listened to some McIntosh separates. They were demo'ing the Elton John 60 concert blu-ray (which I think has fantastic audio). I was pretty impressed, so I plopped the same blu-ray into my Oppo, turned on my trusty AVR-4311 (assisted by an Emotiva amp and Paradigm speakers). My wife said, "Wow - that sounds a lot better", and I tend to agree with her.

Our little AVR-4311 is still one really sweat machine :)

#23,890 ·
I went to a high-end audio store on Saturday and listened to some McIntosh separates. They were demo'ing the Elton John 60 concert blu-ray (which I think has fantastic audio). I was pretty impressed, so I plopped the same blu-ray into my Oppo, turned on my trusty AVR-4311 (assisted by an Emotiva amp and Paradigm speakers). My wife said, "Wow - that sounds a lot better", and I tend to agree with her.

Our little AVR-4311 is still one really sweat machine :)
I've always used Denon receivers as processors. Which means i use outboard amps. In my apt electrocity is limited so i have to use just the 4311 for the LCR/surrounds. It does sound sweet !

#23,891 ·
Active Bi-Amp 9.2?

Hey there ever-wise-AVS-Community...

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the forum, may I ask a question that I'm sure has been answered in the previous 700 pages of AVR-4311CI posts, namely:

-Can the 4311CI handle, and if so, how do I configure this receiver, to drive the following 9.2 configuration?:

-active bi-amp F/L speakers
-F/L Heights
-Center
-F/L Surround Backs
-F/L Surrounds
-SW 1/2

From what I can tell, when I set the "assign amp" to bi-amp, I'm forced to choose where/how to assign the other amp to *either* "Heights" or "Surround Back".... and as a result, the receiver only plays using "heights" *or* "surround backs" (and never, both).... effectively limiting me to a 7.2 configuration.

AFAIK, I can use the "pre-amp" option to buy an external amplifier hooked in turn to my F/L heights. And so, use this as my way to get the desired active bi-amp'd 9.2 config?

Yes, I am in a sorry state.

Or should I just trade up and buy the new AVR-X7200W???

(Apologies in advance for the muddled, naive, and otherwise ignorant question! Please be kind!)

Thanks!

#23,892 ·
If you are the least interested by the new 3D surround sound formats (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro-3D), I would wait until March, and slowly prepare my next move; perhaps the 7200.

* Sorry, couldn't answered your other previous questions, only give my thought on that last one.

#23,893 ·
8track - the 7200 wouldn't give you any different options. Like the 4311 it has 9 amps built in so the arithmetic of 11 amplifiers is identical.

Second, just to be clear, splitting a channel to two amps, hooked up to the dual binding posts on the back of a typical speaker, is NOT active bi amping. It's actualy "passive" bi amping (also known as fools bi amping) and doesn't really do anything that just having a single powerful amp wouldn't do. Active bi amping requires an active external crossover splitting the signal before the amp stage and then bypassing any internal crossover in the speaker.

The smart approach if you need more power: get a beefy 2 or 3 ch amp for the front speakers, use the quite capable internal amps in the Denon for the surrounds / heights. Forget bi amping.

#23,894 · (Edited)
Arghh! Thanks batpig!.... and here I thought I *was* doing the true "active" bi-amp (not the fools errand version!)... meaning I thought I was assigning a separate amp (sending a separate and different audio signal) to each of the woofer and tweeter of my R and L Fronts! Now, I am not an audio-engineer, but from a simple reading of the Denon's 4311Ci's user manual, it really sounds like one is able to set up one's system using an "active" (i.e., not passive) set up... (the following, from p28 of my user manual):

"You can use the front speakers via the bi-amp connection.
A bi-amp connection is to connect separate amplifiers to the tweeter terminals and woofer terminals of speakers compatible with the bi-amp function. This prevents the back electromotive force (returned force without output) of the woofer sent to the tweeter, which affects the sound quality of the tweeter, and you can enjoy playback with higher-quality sound.
To use the bi-amp connection for the front speakers, select “Amp Assign” and set “Assign Mode” to “Bi-AMP” using steps 3 and 4 of “Set up “Amp Assign”” (vpage 63)".​

That said: if you're right (and from what I've read in the forums here, you usually are!...) I guess I should put-back the short-circuit plates on my F/L NHT 2.5i speakers, and just go with the simple 9.2 set up in Denon's manual?

#23,895 · (Edited)
And Batpig... in lieu of doing away with the idea of actively bi-amping the F/L speakers... you're suggestion to "get a beefy 2 or 3 ch amp for the front speakers, use the quite capable internal amps in the Denon for the surrounds / heights"... does have me intrigued...

I take it the 4311CI can handle such a setup?

And if so (to put it simply), can you suggest any decent "2 or 3 channel amps" to purchase?

And then: how do/would you configure the 4311CI for this???

#23,897 ·
FWIW, I have an Emotiva XPA-5 running F/C/L/SL/SR, and I'm using the Denon to drive the SBL/SBR and Left & Right Heights (which I almost never use).

I love the sound, but you know the "evil" of our hobby - we're always looking to improve the audio quality. I'm intrigued by the Anthem AVRs and the new Emotiva with Dirac room correction. However, I don't have $2K available for it right now (actually, I can think of smarter things to spend it on - things like a new hot water heater :) )

Of course, you always have the point of diminishing returns to keep in mind. Would a new $2K processor/AVR make $2k worth of difference in the quality of the audio????

#23,898 ·
Clicking/Crackling Sounds

Hey guys,

Need help with my AVR-4311CI. It recently started to make clicking / crackling sounds and then the audio goes out (but HDMI video stays on)

There are no short connections to the speakers, I use banana plugs.
If I power it down for a while and turn it back on, the audio works although, it goes out again soon after.

I even did a microprocessor & network reset which helped things for a little while.

Any ideas?

#23,899 · (Edited)
And Batpig... in lieu of doing away with the idea of actively bi-amping the F/L speakers... you're suggestion to "get a beefy 2 or 3 ch amp for the front speakers, use the quite capable internal amps in the Denon for the surrounds / heights"... does have me intrigued...

I take it the 4311CI can handle such a setup?

And if so (to put it simply), can you suggest any decent "2 or 3 channel amps" to purchase?

And then: how do/would you configure the 4311CI for this???
Unless you're clipping your 4311's amps, I don't think adding an external amp will make a sonic difference. I only heard a slight difference when I turned the volume up where my SPL meter never dropped below 95dB. This is while listening to two channel music. With an external amp (Emotiva XPR-5) the highs were a little smoother. Other than that, I can't tell a difference between the 4311's internal amps and the external amp. There was no difference between the two at normal listening levels all the way up to reference.

Edit: If you have money to burn I would recommend looking elsewhere to spend it where it will make more of an audible difference.