Old 09-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmf22 View Post

I will probably try the little tubes in a couple of months. I want to get familiar with the new power tubes first.
Any recommendations for the three small tubes?
Depends.. If you like a warmer sound vintage Mullards (haven't tried the re-issue). More detail Telefunken - RFT - Gec. Which tubes are in your V70se now? I find the Sovtek 12ax7lps input to be very forward and quite detailed.

That being said it's all about total system synergy and your personal taste. I would also caution against using Eat KT88's and vintage Tesla's due to the higher plate voltage the Octave has (540V) for output tubes. I have been told even though those tubes are rated at 600V max they were optimally designed to run at 450V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post

Depends.. If you like a warmer sound vintage Mullards (haven't tried the re-issue). More detail Telefunken - RFT - Gec. Which tubes are in your V70se now? I find the Sovtek 12ax7lps input to be very forward and quite detailed.

That being said it's all about total system synergy and your personal taste. I would also caution against using Eat KT88's and vintage Tesla's due to the higher plate voltage the Octave has (540V) for output tubes. I have been told even though those tubes are rated at 600V max they were optimally designed to run at 450V.

I believe the the three small tubes are the stock ones that came with the V70SE (I bought it used so I cannot be sure). Two of the little tubes have a "M" logo on it but not sure what the manufacturer is. One of them is Sovtek.

User Tag List