The Official Integra DTR-70.2 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 117 Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, so I bought this bad boy as I got in only for $200 more than what they wanted for the DTR-70.1. Could have gotten the 80.1 preamp for the same price as the DTR70.1 but I could go 9.2 without having to buy another amp and it had the AUD multi eqxt32 vs just AUD multi eqxt. Nice unit but gets freakin hot. I put a laptop cooler on the top and it does a pretty good job. Fry's had this actual receiver cooler but it was like $60 and did the same as the $2 laptop cooler on sale. The DTR-70.1 had the relay clicking thing that I did not notice nearly as much on the 70.2. I do notice that there might be a bug in the network card as it take forever to find the network and sometimes it does not find it at all. I have to unplug the switch a few times etc. Will call integra tomorrow on that one as it says "initializing" forever on the internet radio deal, but it is nice when it detects the network. Very please with the picture. With my HTPC dialed in Dobly Digital True HD sounds freakin awesome. Very happy with that. Now on the Audessey Multi Eqxt32, I am really concerned with the center channel. It sounds as if it is in "stadium" mode or something like I'm in a chamber. I've calib twice now. Onto the "front highs". Need some help here. My pic shows in red where I've got speakers and need some help on placement for the "front highs" and any suggestions on what speakers would be nice. Overall, very similar to the 70.1 but add the Aud multi eqxt32 and 1.4a hdmi and a couple of others.
Will post more as I get to play more with it.
D.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker0007 View Post

Now on the Audessey Multi Eqxt32, I am really concerned with the center channel. It sounds as if it is in "stadium" mode or something like I'm in a chamber. I've calib twice now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but have you not read about the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 bug in the Onkyo NR3008/NR5008? Check out that thread and the Audyssey thread.

AJ
post #3 of 117 Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, So I talked to the store I bought the unit from and told them about the sound Auddessey issue. They contacted their tech support and said a firmware update will be released this coming wed or thursday to fix the problems.
post #4 of 117 Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

So a firmware was released today and cleared up the audio issues so far. However, I am having issues with its networking. It will say "initializing" forever when trying to connect to the network. I've tried to unplug my switch and restart etc. No go. I know my connection is good. Cable was tested and works with my HTPC. Anyone else have that issue?
thanks
post #5 of 117 Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker0007 View Post

So a firmware was released today and cleared up the audio issues so far. However, I am having issues with its networking. It will say "initializing" forever when trying to connect to the network. I've tried to unplug my switch and restart etc. No go. I know my connection is good. Cable was tested and works with my HTPC. Anyone else have that issue?
thanks

The TX NR708 has the same connection problems

I will receive my 70.2 this week and was hoping they took care of the connection problems, but it seems not.
Hopefull for me its a problem of the first series as it seems to be the same with the 708, first serie problems, 2nd and later no problems (at least it seems so).
A way around the connection problem is:
Turn on "Network Control"
With network control active it will stay connected to the modem and your free of connection problems.
I only see a power use problem as with network control active the receiver is using power 24/7.
How much this power consumption is i do not know.
Think the manual states: it uses a bit more then on standby........
But what is a bit more

It will work around the connection problem and i do think Integra (Onkyo) must solve this bad bug.
As soon as i receive the unit i will test the connection and the first thing i will do when it fails is mailing Integra and ask for a FW solution.
If all the Integra users will do this, think they will get to the bottom of this bug just like the Audyssey XT32 bug, took some time but did get fixed.

PS. to get the unit to connect again try the next steps:

1) Press standby
2) Pull the network cable out the receiver
3) Press standby to start the receiver
4) Go to the menu where you see NETWORK (it should be light gray)
5) wait until NETWORK turns white (active), can take some time
6) Connect the Network cable again and you will have connection
7) Turn on NETWORK CONTROL
8) Mail Integra and tell them (in detail) of this bug
post #6 of 117 Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a brand new Integra 70.2 just fresh out of the box, and guess what, ITS NOT CONNECTING !!!!
Same problem i had with the 708, no problems to connect with the Marantz 7005 (had a unit to test) and now again connection problems with a Integra/Onkyo unit.
Its not the router as the Marantz had no problems at all, also my PC's never have any connection problems.

If a want a stable connection i need to turn on INTERNET CONTROL but then the unit is active 24/7
Its a way around the problem but not the way its intended and needs to be.
Also the x08 series suffer from the not connecting problem.
If i do not activate Network Control, i have to pull the network cable on startup for about 15-20 seconds and Network will be activated.
Also Remote ID will be not active.
As soon as Network / Remote ID is activated (white) i have fast, stable connection, until i go to standby and all starts again with no active Network / Remote ID.
If i do not pull the cable it will try to connect for ever.......

I will mail this problem to Integra and hope for the best.
post #7 of 117 Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, I just got my 70.2 today. Brand new. But i have a huge issue. The receiver takes a good 5 minutes to show video or audio from any of the HDMI sources. I have an Integra 30.1 BluRay and a Pace Summit cable box. Both work fine when i plug them into the component inputs. But when i plug them into the HDMI inputs, it takes the receiver several long minutes to show video and audio. The receiver flashes information every few seconds and the TV screen flashes intermittently. Seems to be some sort of handshaking issue. It eventually comes on and works fine. But when i change channels on the cable box, it starts all over again.

Thoughts?
post #8 of 117 Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek-e View Post

Hey guys, I just got my 70.2 today. Brand new. But i have a huge issue. The receiver takes a good 5 minutes to show video or audio from any of the HDMI sources. I have an Integra 30.1 BluRay and a Pace Summit cable box. Both work fine when i plug them into the component inputs. But when i plug them into the HDMI inputs, it takes the receiver several long minutes to show video and audio. The receiver flashes information every few seconds and the TV screen flashes intermittently. Seems to be some sort of handshaking issue. It eventually comes on and works fine. But when i change channels on the cable box, it starts all over again.

Thoughts?

other than calling your dealer...call Integra @ 800-225-1946. product support is open 9-7 est and Sat & Sun 11-4
post #9 of 117 Old 10-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Question about this unit...

I've already got a separate amp that I will use to run my HT... but I want to use the internal amps for zone 2 and zone 3...

is there a way to still run 9.2 out of the pre outs AND have the internal amps power Zone 2 and Zone 3?

or are the two mutually exclusive?
post #10 of 117 Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 AM

anyone?
post #11 of 117 Old 10-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop32 View Post

anyone?

call Integra product support...800-225-1946...they r open Sat/Sun 1-4 est
post #12 of 117 Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 PM

Liked: 14
so . . . is everyone happy with this receiver? or frustrated?

I'm waffling between this and the denon 4311 and it just seems like $2000 will only buy you a receiver that doesn't actually work.

thoughts? all I want is a receiver that works as advertised. (with xt32 and dual subeq!)
post #13 of 117 Old 11-20-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

so . . . is everyone happy with this receiver? or frustrated?

I'm waffling between this and the denon 4311 and it just seems like $2000 will only buy you a receiver that doesn't actually work.

thoughts? all I want is a receiver that works as advertised. (with xt32 and dual subeq!)

I am very happy with the DTR 70.2 !
(in the resent past i had the Onkyo 876, 3007 and 708)
It has some stuff i like to see changed like not getting album/cover art when a external USB HDD is used.
Only iPod will do that.........

It is also using mute between songs (click !) played from a HDD.
Again, not on iPod use.
Only way around this is to delete the sub(s) from the speaker menu and the mute clicks are gone.........
I have "fullband" surround speakers so i do not need the sub, i only activate the sub when i watch BD movie, on BD there is no mute clicks during the movie.

Also the Internet connection in DHCP mode is a unstable factor, but not all users have this problem !
Way around this is to use a manual setting and do not use DCHP, but that is relative easy.

All other stuff works without any problems, a great receiver with a ton of gadgets and usefull stuff to play with.
XT32 is a step ahead of the XT version and will do a far better job then XT,
you will not be disapointed.

Next week i will be receiving the brand new DTA 70.2, hope to make it even better.....
post #14 of 117 Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

I am very happy with the DTR 70.2 !
(in the resent past i had the Onkyo 876, 3007 and 708)
It has some stuff i like to see changed like not getting album/cover art when a external USB HDD is used.
Only iPod will do that.........

It is also using mute between songs (click !) played from a HDD.
Again, not on iPod use.
Only way around this is to delete the sub(s) from the speaker menu and the mute clicks are gone.........
I have "fullband" surround speakers so i do not need the sub, i only activate the sub when i watch BD movie, on BD there is no mute clicks during the movie.

Also the Internet connection in DHCP mode is a unstable factor, but not all users have this problem !
Way around this is to use a manual setting and do not use DCHP, but that is relative easy.

All other stuff works without any problems, a great receiver with a ton of gadgets and usefull stuff to play with.
XT32 is a step ahead of the XT version and will do a far better job then XT,
you will not be disapointed.

Next week i will be receiving the brand new DTA 70.2, hope to make it even better.....

thanks for the informative reply.
can you tell me a little more about these "mute clicks"? I plan on using dual subs most of the time (maybe not for stereo listening, but even then I might if I'm playing something with pipe organ or something). What exactly is it?

I plan on playing a lot of FLAC files via USB. Will I run into the clicking if I do?

Also, I take it you haven't had any HDMI problems? Onkyo and Integra seem to share some HDMI quirks that sound annoying.

What about heat? I have an open entertainment unit but the 70.2 will have a wooden shelf about 10cm above it. Will this be a problem?

I'm going to power my front 3 speakers with an emotiva xpa-3 for some serious juice so hopefully the 70.2 wont' heat up as much if it's only running my surrounds and heights.

thanks again for any info.
post #15 of 117 Old 11-20-2010, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the informative reply.
can you tell me a little more about these "mute clicks"? I plan on using dual subs most of the time (maybe not for stereo listening, but even then I might if I'm playing something with pipe organ or something). What exactly is it?

Its exact the same click you hear when you use the mute button on the remote. Also other models have this "problem", i hope that in the future they will solve this with a FW update. The only model i used that did not had these mute clicks was the Onkyo 708, but thats a complete different receiver compared to the higher Onkyo and Integra series

I plan on playing a lot of FLAC files via USB. Will I run into the clicking if I do?

Yes, i has nothing to do with the type of audio file, also FLAC will do this. I tried different external HDD's and mem sticks, the receiver keeps doing mute clicks, exept through iPod, then NO clicks (and you will get album art)

Also, I take it you haven't had any HDMI problems? Onkyo and Integra seem to share some HDMI quirks that sound annoying.

No HDMI problems on my side.

What about heat? I have an open entertainment unit but the 70.2 will have a wooden shelf about 10cm above it. Will this be a problem?

Do not think this will be a problem, the .2 series run cooler then older series.

I'm going to power my front 3 speakers with an emotiva xpa-3 for some serious juice so hopefully the 70.2 wont' heat up as much if it's only running my surrounds and heights.

I do not think this will make the 70.2 run cooler, 90% of the heat is generated from the HDMI and circuit boards on the back, this will stay the same. I also think the 70.2 has more then enough power. I bought yesterday a DTA 70.2, not for the power but for the fact that its a 100% analog sound amp. For what i read in all the Onkyo 5500 reviews, the sound will move more to a tube amp sound when you use a DTA amp.....

thanks again for any info.

Good luck.....
post #16 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 01:27 AM

again, great stuff. I'll looking into the dta-70.1. I think the price will be much higher than the xpa-3, but tube amp sound at 150wpc would be brilliant.

please let me know how it all sounds when you get the dta-70.1.

cheers.
post #17 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

again, great stuff. I'll looking into the dta-70.1. I think the price will be much higher than the xpa-3, but tube amp sound at 150wpc would be brilliant.

please let me know how it all sounds when you get the dta-70.1.

cheers.

Think the new model will be the DTA 70.2, not the 70.1 now on sale.
I received an invoice that clearly states that it will be a 70.2 model, in line with the current DTR .2 model line........
Also the DTA is a 9 channel amp !
post #18 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Think the new model will be the DTA 70.2, not the 70.1 now on sale.
I received an invoice that clearly states that it will be a 70.2 model, in line with the current DTR .2 model line........
Also the DTA is a 9 channel amp !

yes that was a misquote. great. let me know what you think of the dta 70.2!!!
post #19 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yes that was a misquote. great. let me know what you think of the dta 70.2!!!
What i find strange is that around April this year Integra introduced the DTA 70.1 as the new 9 channel amp. Why now, 8 month later, again new model will see the market (the 70.2) i do not get.
So lets see if the invoice is correct......... (will take a week to receive the DTA)
post #20 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 02:16 PM

I understand. I can find nothing anywhere about the dta-70.2. let me know if it's a myth.
post #21 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Does anyone know for certain what is different between an Integra DTR-70.2 and an Onkyo TX-NR3008?

Will they sound the same?
post #22 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Interestingly, the Onkyo is actually heavier. Their specs claim they have the same power though. Without spending an hour on it, it would not surprise me if they were mostly the same.

I did not check the feature set other than to notice they seem to have a lot in common, HQV, ISF, Rhapsody, Pandora, etc.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #23 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD500 View Post

Does anyone know for certain what is different between an Integra DTR-70.2 and an Onkyo TX-NR3008?

I've checked them both out. they are 99% identical. both have 2 separate transformers, one for video, one fore audio, whereas the 80.2 and 5008 have 4 transformers (low noise toroidal ones) which is where the extra money seems to be going. whether you'd be able to hear a difference is arguable. I think I am going with the 70.2 and adding an emotiva xpa-3 which has 200wpc and the same high quality toroidal transformers as the 80.2/5008 and is less expensive. seems like a win, win to me.
post #24 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD500 View Post

I had both, Onkyo and Integra now, and they both sound exact the same.
On the feature list Integra has a bit more to offer and i think the more $$ goes into end control in the factory, i find Integra compared to Onkyo to be more "stable" out of the box.
I had 3 models Onkyo and all went to Onkyo repair in the first 2 to 5 month of use ! (no problems yet with Integra)
Talked to a repair manager at Onkyo repair, and he told me when they took also Integra as brand they needit to stock different parts, special for Inegra
They could not use Onkyo parts for repair as the Inegra parts are to different.

Now this is the inside of the receiver and even the specs seems to be (almost) the same there is a technical differents between Onkyo and Integra, maybe small but its there.
Integra gives also a longer warranty then Onkyo, must mean something.......
post #25 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:

On the feature list Integra has a bit more to offer and i think the more $$ goes into end control in the factory, i find Integra compared to Onkyo to be more "stable" out of the box.
I had 3 models Onkyo and all went to Onkyo repair in the first 2 to 5 month of use ! (no problems yet with Integra)
Talked to a repair manager at Onkyo repair, and he told me when they took also Integra as brand they needit to stock different parts, special for Inegra

Now this is the inside of the receiver and even the specs seems to be (almost) the same there is a technical differents between Onkyo and Integra, maybe small but its there.

Thanks. I have a feeling the longer Integra warranty is a marketing differentiator more than an indicator of better component quality control.
I can't seem to find a dealer with good pricing on the Onkyo in my area.
Web-order the Onkyo 3008 is about $600 less than from an Integra dealer locally. That's a huge price difference but I would prefer to by local.

Just curious, are there no tweaking websites where someone might have upgraded their 3008's power supply themselves?
I wonder if that could be done with an external power supply box like the old Cyrus PSX units. I'll likely never do it due to time constraints but I'm surprised no hobbyists out there do it.

And, ouch, is Onkyo quality that poor? 3 out of 3 having troubles makes me a bit concerned, especially if I do a web order.
post #26 of 117 Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:

that is fantastic information. thank you so much. I spoke to the local integra distributer in my town today and he said basically the same thing.

he said he sells about 6 intergras a month (throughout all of nz) and hasn't had a single return for servicing over the last three years!

I'm going integra all the way. cheers.
post #27 of 117 Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that is fantastic information. thank you so much. I spoke to the local integra distributer in my town today and he said basically the same thing.

he said he sells about 6 intergras a month (throughout all of nz) and hasn't had a single return for servicing over the last three years!

I'm going integra all the way. cheers.

And i like the "fealing" that Integra is only sold by specific dealers and that its not a mass product sold by everyone like Onkyo
post #28 of 117 Old 11-22-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

At the moment i have the DTR 70.2 doing its tricks.
End of this week i will receive the DTA 70.x (not sure if it will be the .1 or .2)
to do its all analog tricks on the sound part.
And i will order the ADM 30.1 to drive the high speakers.

This way i can use wide and high at the same time.
The wide speakers are used a bit different by me, thay are in my PC corner so i have there also "perfect" sound quality
Why i am going to use the ADM is that this way i have full volume control over the wide and high speakers.
If i connect the wide and highs parallel or serial i also get sound from both but this is at the same volume level.
Now i can set the volume for wide by the DTR and the volume for the high by the ADM.
I use high as this is for me the best option in combo with PLz High mode.
I do not like what Audyssey DSX wide/high is doning to the sound, but thats personal !

So it will look like an impresive audio setup with the DTR, DMA and ADM
post #29 of 117 Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:

At the moment i have the DTR 70.2 doing its tricks.
End of this week i will receive the DTA 70.x (not sure if it will be the .1 or .2)
to do its all analog tricks on the sound part.
And i will order the ADM 30.1 to drive the high speakers.

This way i can use wide and high at the same time.
The wide speakers are used a bit different by me, thay are in my PC corner so i have there also "perfect" sound quality
Why i am going to use the ADM is that this way i have full volume control over the wide and high speakers.
If i connect the wide and highs parallel or serial i also get sound from both but this is at the same volume level.
Now i can set the volume for wide by the DTR and the volume for the high by the ADM.
I use high as this is for me the best option in combo with PLz High mode.
I do not like what Audyssey DSX wide/high is doning to the sound, but thats personal !

So it will look like an impresive audio setup with the DTR, DMA and ADM

that is going to be a jaw-dropping system. please upload photos when it's all done! I was looking into the dta and it's a beauty. based on pure power output I'm going to go with an emotiva, but I'm eager to hear the sound out of the dta.
if I may ask, what speakers are you running?

I too have height speakers and am thinking of going wide eventually depending on the WAF (wife acceptance factor, of course). I've heard wides are even more stunning than heights, it's a space issue however.

also, do you have a acoustic treatment in your room? that's the next thing on my list.
post #30 of 117 Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:

And i like the "fealing" that Integra is only sold by specific dealers and that its not a mass product sold by everyone like Onkyo

I love this as well. There's something about having an Integra that will be so much cooler than having an Onkyo!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page