Help! Marantz SR7002 or Harman/Kardon AVR 3600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like some input on my decision to purchase either the Marantz SR7002 or the HK AVR 3600. I'm in a lucky position to be able to choose between these two receivers in the next two weeks. I've noticed that online pricing recently has brought them closer together so I'm not worried about price difference at this point. I will be replacing an old yammy receiver that was part of an HTIB system (YHT-755 I think). It has served me well over the years but it is definitely time to upgrade.

Here is what attracted me to these two receivers:

SR7002
Phenomenal price for a near top tier receiver
2 zone capable(with video)
THX Select2 Certified
Audyssey MultEQ

AVR3600
Dolby Volume
ipod dock included
reputation for the excellent "HK sound"
USB input for firmware updates
2 zone capable

I will eventually pair my new receiver up with a new set of Jamo, Energy, or BIC speakers systems.

Any help deciding between these two would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Do realize that the Marantz will not use Audyssey for decoding the new codecs. Have no idea why they did this with that AVR. It is still an excellent AVR, especially for the price they are selling for now. The 3600 does not use Audyssey so no problem there. Have not used their version of EQ'ing so I can't help you there. Have you considered any other brands? If one can still be found the Denon 3310 is a good choice. There is also the Yamaha 1065/2065 that should be in that price range. Either of these would be some others to consider. The Denon will use Audyssey Multi-EQ, but its version is fully implemented. The Yamaha's use YPAO which also works quite well.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 107
The HK 3600 has 2 great features, Dolby Volume and HD video from an iPod/iPhone..

Just my $0.02...
post #4 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Do realize that the Marantz will not use Audyssey for decoding the new codecs. Have no idea why they did this with that AVR. It is still an excellent AVR, especially for the price they are selling for now. The 3600 does not use Audyssey so no problem there. Have not used their version of EQ'ing so I can't help you there. Have you considered any other brands? If one can still be found the Denon 3310 is a good choice. There is also the Yamaha 1065/2065 that should be in that price range. Either of these would be some others to consider. The Denon will use Audyssey Multi-EQ, but its version is fully implemented. The Yamaha's use YPAO which also works quite well.

Thanks for the heads up on Marantz's implementation of Audyssey. That does seem odd that they would not use it to decode the newer codecs.

M Code- I'm very interested in the Dolby Volume feature as I really hate the substantial increase in volume when a commercial comes on while I'm watching Husker football games (as well as other programs). I usually just mute the dang receiver when it happens which is a big pain in the rear.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Not MCode but can answer this one for you. Dolby Volume does work better than the way its implemented in an AVR without it. Such as my Onkyo 876 with Dynamic Volume. With mine it seems as its a either on or off feature and doesn't really do that much for me. It is either off,light,heavy. Which one works best? None to me. Dolby Volume on the other is an excellent feature that does do what its intended to do. MCode is the man to give you the real answer on how it works. That 3600 is a very nice AVR with the H/K X600 series being firmware upgradeable for 3D. And its free from their website. They are the only ones that did this as for I know. There is a dedicated thread for these AVR's here.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

phantom52-

I have considered the Denon, but at this point I'm trying to stay around the $600 price level. Only recently has the prices for the SR7002 and the AVR 3600 have fallen to this level. I've only been able to find pricing for the 3310 around $700 or so.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by db4williams View Post

phantom52-

I have considered the Denon, but at this point I'm trying to stay around the $600 price level. Only recently has the prices for the SR7002 and the AVR 3600 have fallen to this level. I've only been able to find pricing for the 3310 around $700 or so.

Then if I were you I would visit the dedicated thread for the H/K 1600/2600/3600 and read what owners are saying about them. Nothing to lose but a little time and may be getting a great AVr out of it. I have a H/K 3390 receiver and it works great, but it is an all analog 2 channel. Powerful and easily drives 2 Paradigm Reference 40's. The 3600 is problably a very buy at this time. Also realize that H/K's service is second to none. So if there are any problems you won't be stuck with a problem AVR. Don't know of any others that can say that. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Liked: 11
My vote goes to the H/K.

The funny thing about Dolby Volume is that you don't notice it until it's gone! And I mean that in a great way. Whenever I watch TV downstairs, with my H/K 2600, I set the volume and don't think much more about it. But upstairs, without a Dolby Volume receiver, I am always surprised at how often I am changing the volume down on comercials.

It also brings up the bass when watching things at a lower volume. On my other reciever, the bass seems a little thin when watching at normal- to low volume, but with the Dolby Volume, the low end is rich whatever the volume.

I'm not sure I would want to buy a receiver without it now that i have used it.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on Marantz's implementation of Audyssey. That does seem odd that they would not use it to decode the newer codecs.

M Code- I'm very interested in the Dolby Volume feature as I really hate the substantial increase in volume when a commercial comes on while I'm watching Husker football games (as well as other programs). I usually just mute the dang receiver when it happens which is a big pain in the rear.

Boy the Cornhuskers sure blew out Western Kentucky...

Dolby Volume is a digital processing mode that provides dynamic range control of loud and soft audio streams, also provides tonal balancing referenced to level. It works better than the Audessey Dynamic Volume.

Below is a link to the Dolby flash demo.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/experi...by-volume.html

Just my $0.02...
post #10 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I own an Onkyo 805 and the one feature I would kill for is Dolby Volume. There is no way I would buy an AVR today without that feature. Commercials drive me nuts. Luckily I can set the db decrease with my AVR so I don't have to mute the entire volume. Still sucks to have to mute/unmute the 10db I set for muting.

Another feature I would like is Networking with Internet Radio. The ability to hook a USB HDD to my AVR would be another plus as I have stored all of my music on a HDD. I have a work around for these features, but an AVR that could do it all just simplifies everything. Would most likely make it easier for my wife to work everything instead of having to sit her down and teach her how to work my gear!

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #11 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Marantz will use Audysey for the new codecs if you let the player and not the reciever do the decoding.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

The Marantz will use Audysey for the new codecs if you let the player and not the reciever do the decoding.

Audyssey will not work with any analog connections. If you have one of these next time you turn it on check to see if the Audyssey logo on the readout is on. You will get the new codecs from the AVR also but they will not be with the Audessey EQ system on. It is and has been something that was not implemented with the 7002 and their flagship 8002. At least that is from everything I've read. Also no updates to enable this feature.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Audyssey will not work with any analog connections. If you have one of these next time you turn it on check to see if the Audyssey logo on the readout is on. You will get the new codecs from the AVR also but they will not be with the Audessey EQ system on. It is and has been something that was not implemented with the 7002 and their flagship 8002. At least that is from everything I've read. Also no updates to enable this feature.

What about letting the player decode the HD audio, and then sent via HDMI as LPCM?

I assume it will apply Audyssey in that situation. Then it's essentially the exact same thing as having the decode in the AVR and the Audyssey applied to that.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds View Post

What about letting the player decode the HD audio, and then sent via HDMI as LPCM?

I assume it will apply Audyssey in that situation. Then it's essentially the exact same thing as having the decode in the AVR and the Audyssey applied to that.

That is exactly what I said. I was under the impression that it was due to the lack of processing power to decode and apply Audyssey at the same time but if you let the player decode then the reciever will apply Audyssey. It just wont show you the true hd light or dts master audio light on the reciever.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Boy the Cornhuskers sure blew out Western Kentucky...

Dolby Volume is a digital processing mode that provides dynamic range control of loud and soft audio streams, also provides tonal balancing referenced to level. It works better than the Audessey Dynamic Volume.

Below is a link to the Dolby flash demo.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/experi...by-volume.html

Just my $0.02...

Yes it was a really good game to watch. Our new starting quarterback is a redshirt freshman and he already plays like a stud! His name is Taylor Martinez and the media and fans already have a nickname for him- TMagic!

Anyways, back on topic... I appreciate all of the tips and suggestions concerning the AVR 3600 and SR7002. Right now I'm leaning towards the AVR 3600 as the Dolby Volume feature might be just too good to pass up.
I've noticed there doesn't seem to be much info out there for the SR7002. Another thing I can't figure out is why there's a lack of "professional" reviews on the current generation of H/K receivers like there for other brands like pio and Denon. Any guesses on that?
post #16 of 20 Old 09-10-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it was a really good game to watch. Our new starting quarterback is a redshirt freshman and he already plays like a stud! His name is Taylor Martinez and the media and fans already have a nickname for him- TMagic!

Anyways, back on topic... I appreciate all of the tips and suggestions concerning the AVR 3600 and SR7002. Right now I'm leaning towards the AVR 3600 as the Dolby Volume feature might be just too good to pass up.
I've noticed there doesn't seem to be much info out there for the SR7002. Another thing I can't figure out is why there's a lack of "professional" reviews on the current generation of H/K receivers like there for other brands like pio and Denon. Any guesses on that?

No guesses here. There are test reports on some of their older models. Worry not though H/K always seems to surpass their power specs as theirs are tested with all channels driven. Seems like every thing I've read about them is that in most cases they exceed those power specs. However, power is not the only thing that makes a good AVR. If it has everything you want/need then get it. If not look into something else.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-13-2010, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your insight on my quest to purchase a new receiver!
post #18 of 20 Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

I don't see one of the biggest differences mentioned yet; The HK 3600 has HDMI 1.4a support on models being sold now, and existing ones can update to 1.4a via a firmware update. The Marantz SR7002 only supports HDMI 1.3.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
FWIW, the Marantz has two HDMI outs (for a plasma and a Front Projector, for example) and the H/K only has one.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #20 of 20 Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

FWIW, the Marantz has two HDMI outs (for a plasma and a Front Projector, for example) and the H/K only has one.

More than example, it's the only way you can run it.
i.e. only one output at a time is active.

HK refurbs from HK have a 2 year warranty.
Marantz refurbs have only one year.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page