The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3721 of 3830 Old 05-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Only analog sources will be present at the (analog) tape outs. There's no capability to convert digital sources to analog for any other outputs than the main outputs. You could parallel digital and analog outputs from source to the pre/pro and use a different zone output to the other amp.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3830 Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Jeff. Thanks for the reply. As I said, it does work when I select 'Net/USB' source and stream flac files from my NAS though. So, it is doing D->A at that time before making it available to tape-out confused.gif

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #3723 of 3830 Old 05-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Wireless member

Alright that might be the exception, but what I posted is otherwise your problem.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #3724 of 3830 Old 05-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a DHC 80.2 processor and the HDMI board went out under warranty. I took to warranty dealer on March 19th and the parts were ordered. Today it is May 27th and the parts still haven't been received by dealer. I have been without my main TV/Music system for my house for over two months. This is terrible support for a very expensive piece of equipment. I am so frustrated that I might go out and buy a new Marantz AV 8801.

Has anyone else had the same lack of service for a not uncommon problem I am lead to believe? and is there a quick solution here?
post #3725 of 3830 Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by resig View Post

I own a DHC 80.2 processor and the HDMI board went out under warranty. I took to warranty dealer on March 19th and the parts were ordered. Today it is May 27th and the parts still haven't been received by dealer. I have been without my main TV/Music system for my house for over two months. This is terrible support for a very expensive piece of equipment. I am so frustrated that I might go out and buy a new Marantz AV 8801.

Has anyone else had the same lack of service for a not uncommon problem I am lead to believe? and is there a quick solution here?

There was talk of that sort of thing around the time I needed a repair, so I got a 80.3. A week later I picked up my repaired unit. (I used a regional repair ctr) I said something in regards to the lead time others were experiencing & was told that it was California law that if it took over one month, the unit would have to be replaced.

--Carl
post #3726 of 3830 Old 05-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by resig View Post

Mine took 4-5 weeks. Have you bitched at them? By now, I would have made their lives miserable, and complained to Onk.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #3727 of 3830 Old 06-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I feel your pain. Happily, mine was fixed at a factory authorized repair facility in Illinois in a week. This was back in February.
post #3728 of 3830 Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM

I have a PR-SC5508 which also recently suffered an HDMI board failure (after ~16 months of use).

I spent weeks trying to get Onkyo to send me a box and a shipping label: first I tried contacting Onkyo by phone, and couldn't get through--there were long waits (funny how the recording always said there was "unusual call volume"). I tried posting in their support forum, and they asked me to send email. I emailed their customer service address (parts@us.onkyo.com), but had a hard time getting all my questions addressed. I even tried escalating to a supervisor, but when I tried emailing her I got an automated reply saying she was out of the office for 2 weeks! I finally got hold of another supervisor and got the return process started.

The 5508 sat at the regional service center waiting for an HDMI board for a little over a month. It just arrived on Monday, and the unit was repaired, and is currently in transit back to me. I hope the repair was done well and this chapter is behind me; Onkyo says their HDMI board was redesigned and I really hope the unit is reliable from this point forward. I understand design and engineering failures can occur and that HDMI board failures have affected multiple manufacturers over the past several model years, and I even acknowledge that we don't know the prevalence of these issues (lots of Onkyo failures reported on this board, but they also ship a lot of units). But: given the experience I've had so far, I really question the quality of Onkyo's customer service, and commitment to their users: they never once apologized for building defective products [1], for making it near impossible to get through to them for warranty service, for taking weeks to answer my questions and giving me the runaround, and for being out of stock on the necessary part for over a month.

This all serves to make me question whether they will stand behind this product down the road. Suffice to say, I will never purchase an Onkyo product again.

[1] my previous 5508 died in less than 30 days of use with the IDE cable/listening mode issue despite Onkyo customer service's assurance that my unit was not in the affected serial number range.
post #3729 of 3830 Old 07-16-2013, 06:18 AM

I have a DHC-80.2 and was watching TV and all of a sudden i had no picture,,then in about 30 seconds it came back but after that pt it was going on and off constantly. Could this be an HDMI board problem or something else ?
post #3730 of 3830 Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkloosh View Post

I have a DHC-80.2 and was watching TV and all of a sudden i had no picture,,then in about 30 seconds it came back but after that pt it was going on and off constantly. Could this be an HDMI board problem or something else ?

Yes. wink.gif

- it's never done!

post #3731 of 3830 Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Does it keep doing it or did it resolve?

I was at my friend's house and his picture (that I believe is routed through his 80.2) started doing this... but we were messing with 2d-3d conversion on his projector at the time so we thought it was related to that. He hasn't said that the problem has come back since, but I am not sure.

post #3732 of 3830 Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I too had this issue and it seemed to resolve.
post #3733 of 3830 Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 AM

It has been happening the last 2 days, about 1-2 hours after the unit is turned on it starts,,What is wierd is that when the picture (video) goes blank the audio is still working.
post #3734 of 3830 Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Could be the HDMI board. Should still be under warranty. I would give Integra support a call. I moved mine to a sound only setup after I upgraded to a Marantz 8801.
post #3735 of 3830 Old 07-16-2013, 04:59 PM

Liked: 12
Mine also started as a on/off issue. Sometimes no sound sometimes no pic. Could swear it was the cable box.... no that DVD had a loose plug the PS3's HDMI cable is a bit iffy lets replace that.

Yes in all cases enough swaps reboots and messing about brought me back to life and I told my self no worries till they day about 3 weeks in nothing would bring her back to life.

If you have a problem with the unit the HDMI board is gone or the IDE cable problem has come home to roost or both. I will not as others have fault Onkyo..... **** happens and sometimes you cannot keep up with demand, and keep enough spare parts in stock. Piss me off ... sure, wish it was different you bet.... overall with 30 plus years in hifi 3 weeks without my unit and a complete free and warrenty covered repair.... well I will take that over some other experiances I have had..... like the amp manufacturer who actually blamed the "way" I plugged the unit in.... yes had that talk... yes sold that amp.

The boards go. More then I think Onkyo will ever admit. As an owner of an 80.2 there are things I would love to change but overall its a great sounding unit that does almost everything I could want and cost me less then 3k. You get what you pay for... you want flawless go drop 10k plus on one of the big boys toys with fewer features and a much steeper decline in value.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #3736 of 3830 Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 AM

So recently the audio on my 80.2 has not been working, the video shows up but with no audio. Sometimes the audio via my tv speakers is distorted too, my tv is connected to my 80.2 through HDMI. The only way I can get it to work is by unplugging it and then plugging it in again. I'm guessing this is the HDMI board? If so, this thing is a POS. This will be the second time since I've owned it that I have to take it out for repairs.

This is my very, very outdated website.
post #3737 of 3830 Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Combine your working video with DKLoosh's working audio and you have one fine machine.

post #3738 of 3830 Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post

I'm guessing this is the HDMI board?

Those are some of the symptoms some have reported.
Quote:
If so, this thing is a POS. This will be the second time since I've owned it that I have to take it out for repairs.

Me, too. I had the IDE cable bug and the HDMI board bug. But this is the best sounding and performing pre/pro I have ever had. And it was an incredible value as well. If you decide to sell your POS, I'm sure that there are loads of people who would take it off your hands.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #3739 of 3830 Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep I sold mine to a friend and ended up wishing I had just kept it. I have said a few times on these boards that "upgrading" from the 80.2 to the Marantz 8801 was a waste of time. No real discernible difference, and this is in a well designed Dennis Erskine room with quality room treatments and revealing, accurate speakers.

post #3740 of 3830 Old 07-18-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I have both. For me stereo seems a bit better with the 8801. I kept my 80.2 to use in my living room. Martin Logan Montis with the Marantz; B&W 801s with the 80.2.

80.2 was having issues with HDMI putting it in the living room for sound using my Squeeze touch and RCA digital cable made sense.

No HDMI issues with the Marantz. Home network feeds of hirez music to the 8801 sound great, not so with the 80.2.
post #3741 of 3830 Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I have both. For me stereo seems a bit better with the 8801. I kept my 80.2 to use in my living room.

A reviewer or two has decided to buy the 8801 after reviewing and, IIRC, they were replacing 80.2 ... They described the 8801 and being "more musical."

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #3742 of 3830 Old 07-18-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, well, its newer and all.... smile.gif

post #3743 of 3830 Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Yeah, well, its newer and all.... smile.gif

It's a much more expensive unit would be my assessment.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #3744 of 3830 Old 07-25-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I guess I am not alone with having 80.2 issues. Not that it makes any of us feel any better. It is 2 3/4 years old. My HDMI board went. "Lucky" for me it was still before the end of my warranty. I was experiencing very frustrating symptoms. When I watched cable TV my screen would turn purple. Then if I turned the TV off and on again it would correct itself. This was very inconstant. Sometimes it would happen 3 times a night and then it would not happen for a few weeks. Then I bought a server. It was OK for a while then that started to go crazy. BUT, it was a different kind of crazy. Instead of becoming purple, the screen would get all blocky. Like I was looking at a kaleidoscope. When I turned the TV off and on the TV would correct itself but I would loose audio so I would have to start the movie again and go to where it stopped working. Of course, I never had a problem with my OPPO. It figures. So I was getting very frustrated especially since I can't work on my system by myself. I contacted Onkyo first by email. I told them the issues I was having. Once I made sure they understood what was going on in total, and I convinced them that I thought it was the board I asked this question. I asked if it was possible for some HDMI connections on the board to fail and still have others work. They said yes it was. Perfect. So I had some friends come over. Through Trial and error we determined it was the Integra. I guess it really was because I have had no problems at all with my TV running it directly through the cable box.

So then there was no choice but to send it back for service. I sent it on on July 1st. The service center got it on the 2nd. So I have been without music or movies for 24 days which really sucks. Last week I contacted Onkyo to see if they had a time line for me. This is where it's gets good. I was told they have no idea when my Integra will be done. The lady, who was nice BTW, told me that Japan only sends HDMI boards in bunches of 50, that there is no real schedule for their shipping, and that those 50 have to be given to ALL of the service centers. Who knows how long it will take. Because I also need to schedule a time for my friends to help me out, who knows how long it will take for me to be back up and running. This is the longest I have been without a system. Watching movies with my TV speakers is painful. I have no expectations now on when I will get the Integra back. I will say that up until stopped working, it sounded fantastic. I really don't want to buy another preamp right now so I am hopeful that the new board will fix the issue. But if it goes again, I guess I will have to look into getting something else. So 24 days and counting.

It ain't easy being green.

post #3745 of 3830 Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20

It only took me a 5 day turn-a-round for mine. (ADAMS ELECTRONICS in So California) I was also told when I remarked
on how quickly things went (I had already purchased a DCH-80.3) that California had a limit on how long Warr repairs
took before a replacement was required.

--Carl
post #3746 of 3830 Old 07-25-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I sent mine to ALL TECH ELECTRONICS which is in NJ. 5 days is fantastic. At most I thought it would be 10 business days but we are past that. Plus there was no talk about a replacement. I figure they can't grow the part themselves so I just have to wait. Even though it still stinks.

It ain't easy being green.

post #3747 of 3830 Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 AM

So I sent my 80.2 4 weeks ago, just called again today. They are still waiting for Onkyo to send them the parts!!!!! Ridiculous. Never buying from them again. The sound quality might be good, but the build quality is garbage. When you pay this much money for a product you deserve quality.

This is my very, very outdated website.
post #3748 of 3830 Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post

So I sent my 80.2 4 weeks ago, just called again today. They are still waiting for Onkyo to send them the parts!!!!! Ridiculous. Never buying from them again. The sound quality might be good, but the build quality is garbage. When you pay this much money for a product you deserve quality.

Sorry to hear asbout your problem. Mine had both the front panel IDE cable bug and the HDMI board bug.

I'm sure that when you get it back fixed you could unload it here. Plenty of people on the other side of your opinion.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #3749 of 3830 Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Add me to the list of owners who need to send in for a second repair. I originally bought in Dec 2010. Had problems and had both board and cable fixed in May 2011. it's been running great until recently when sound stopped working and firmware upgrade options are greyed out. Looks like it's going to have to be sent in again. I bought an Emotiva UMC-200 to use in the interim. Maybe I'll try the repair place in So Cal that someone posted about recently having a quick turnaround. Not sure what I want to do longer term with the 80.2 (keep? sell and upgrade?).
post #3750 of 3830 Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Wireless member

Network function is on the HDMI board. (I have no idea ... ) Are you saying that they already fixed the HDMI board?

- it's never done!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page