The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 3830 Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just got my 80.3 replacement, Hopefully I can have it setup this weekend I really hope I don't have any issues. Time will tell.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3830 Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Just got my 80.3 replacement, Hopefully I can have it setup this weekend I really hope I don't have any issues. Time will tell.

Way to go Mike. I am glad they stepped up and sent you a new 80.3. Setup should be straightforward wrt to the 80.3 - but how about your calibration?  IIRC though, don't you use some external EQ in your system as well as Audyssey?  If so, then I guess the same settings will be fine for the new prepro.

post #3783 of 3830 Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Way to go Mike. I am glad they stepped up and sent you a new 80.3. Setup should be straightforward wrt to the 80.3 - but how about your calibration?  IIRC though, don't you use some external EQ in your system as well as Audyssey?  If so, then I guess the same settings will be fine for the new prepro.
Yep, a shinny new 80.3. I do use a SMS-1 to help tame a massive peak that I have in the room that Audyssey "makes worse" Craig can explain it better then me. So yes, I use the SMS-1 to tame the peak and then run the EQ after on my system. Calibration will be done by Craig and Dennis when they have the time to come over and help me out.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3784 of 3830 Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Yep, a shinny new 80.3. I do use a SMS-1 to help tame a massive peak that I have in the room that Audyssey "makes worse" Craig can explain it better then me. So yes, I use the SMS-1 to tame the peak and the run the EQ after on my system. Calibration will be done by Craig and Dennis when they have the time to come over and help me out.

Ah yes, I remember now. Mark helped you find that problem initially IIRC - and he and Craig helped you resolve it.  Good news that Craig and Dennis are coming over to help - you are in brilliant hands there!  Nice to type to you again.

post #3785 of 3830 Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
United Radio just called me to say the parts would be delayed a few days . We shall see. I was told the new HDMI board I will be getting is a major revision over the previous one and as a result they do not expect a recurrence of the issues we have experienced .
post #3786 of 3830 Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Another victim of "no sound" here. Taking it to an authorized dealer tomorrow. Purchased in January of '12, b stock. Hope it's under warranty. Wish me luck!

post #3787 of 3830 Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Another victim of "no sound" here. Taking it to an authorized dealer tomorrow. Purchased in January of '12, b stock. Hope it's under warranty. Wish me luck!

I have two, one in the living room and one in the HT. About 10 months ago the one in the HT lost sound. It took 3 months to get fixed. Now the one in the living room has failed and is going out this week for repair. Last night I went to the HT to watch TV and guess what, NO SOUND. Fortunately, toggling the power worked, but my previous experience is that this is a warning sign of things to come.
post #3788 of 3830 Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm out of warranty, bought mine used 15 months ago. Thinking about jumping ship to Marantz-8801. Will service the 80.2 eventually as back up or just sell it. Not written in stone but leaning that way.

post #3789 of 3830 Old 09-10-2013, 05:38 PM

Liked: 10
Well, I just picked up my 80.3 today, not the elusive 80.4. I kind of feel like a bit of a traitor. I've got most of it set up, I just need to run Audyssey. Hope this one holds up!

Mirkwood 4.0 Equipment List

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very outdated website.
post #3790 of 3830 Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I pulled the trigger on a Marantz 8801. Sorry to say I lost faith in Integra. No disrespect but there is something wrong with the statement "I hope this one holds up."

post #3791 of 3830 Old 10-04-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
pbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

United Radio just called me to say the parts would be delayed a few days . We shall see. I was told the new HDMI board I will be getting is a major revision over the previous one and as a result they do not expect a recurrence of the issues we have experienced .

Any news on your parts? Mine is at United and they told me today "No ETA"

Paul O'Neal
International Networking, Inc
post #3792 of 3830 Old 10-04-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

United gave up on my parts after 35 days and asked Integra for advice. Intregra decided to send me a 80.3 after the 80.2 was sent to there headquarters in New Jersey. I am told all is in transit.
post #3793 of 3830 Old 10-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Liked: 14
I just bought me a used 80.2 from Audiogon. It replaced a lower end Yamaha AVR that I used the pre outs. The unit is approximately a year and a half old. Like many others, I was on the fence with getting the new Marantz, but I took a chance at one third the cost. My initial impressions after just 2 days is that this unit is very impressive. It is a remarkable upgrade in sound quality from my Yamaha. Don't get me wrong... my Yamaha served me very well for the 2 years I had it, but this Integra is just awesome!!

I have lurked around this forum for a long time and was continuously back and forth between whether I should get newer or older tech. About 2 years back I upgraded all my speakers to Definitive Technology. I have a pair of Mythos ST up front, a Mythos 10 center and Mythos Gem XL rears. This upgrade was a remarkable improvement to what I had been using... a Mirage Prestige 5 system with a Mirage Omni 8 sub. Then I started reading about outboard amplification and separates, so I pulled the trigger on a used Sunfire TGA 7401 7 channel amplifier at 400w/ch driven at 8 ohms. The immediate difference was profound. Easily the single most defining upgrade to my home theater at that point. My speakers just opened up. They were like sleeping giants. After hearing this improvement and continuing to read various thread after thread, I knew I HAD to have a dedicated processor.

Of course, I'm like the majority of enthusiasts that have a limited budget secondary to having other facets in my life. At the same time, I value having a quality product and thoroughly do my homework before making any significant purchases. I scoured the web for reviews on "The Top Processor." I lost hours of my life weighing benefits versus cost. For a long time I had been torn between the Marantz AV8801 and the Arcam AV888. The Classe SSP800 was also on my short list. I considered, as well, new versus used. I ruled out the Arcam secondary to it's age and I hear they are to be releasing a newer dedicated processor in the not so distant future...plus its price point. The Classe has stellar reviews abroad, but it's price point is that of a car. For all its glowing reviews I could not bring myself to have to finance a piece of electronics for 5 years. The Marantz I could buy locally but have read several posts about the step up in sound quality was not head nor shoulders above that of this Integra.

In my search for a processor I was interested in something that would excel at movies, play music at a reasonable quality, have decent room correction software, have ample connectivity, have network connectivity but still be decent on the eyes for myself and my hunny :-) Like I mentioned before, I had always been between multiple processors, but I had always kept coming back to Marantz and Integra. Then it was the question of would I prefer a used DHC 80.2 or the newer DHC 80.3 if I steered away from Marantz. Ultimately I chose Integra simply due to cost factor.... I still have other components I want to add to my system. The value of the 80.3 didn't warrant the need to spend the extra versus the highly comparable feature set of the 80.2 hence... :-) There was a time when I had considered going for a higher end older Lexicon, Halcro, Krell, etc but I did not want to be limited to analog, though I bet they have their own benefits. Just not for me at this point.

I had always been keeping an eye out for great deals via Ebay, AVS Forum, Audiogon. Never knowing for sure which unit I would ultimately land. Then one day I spotted a used 80.2 on Audiogon. I started at the beginning of this thread and began my journey. The common themes were great sound quality, clicking, great sound quality, heat generation, great sound quality, failed HDMI boards, great sound quality... I think you know where I'm going with this. I decided to take a chance for a great price. Best case scenario is I get all that is touted about this processor. Worst case scenario is I run into all the gripes and not out several thousands of dollars.

My Integra arrived 2 days ago. Integration into my system was very easy. I had everything connected up in less than half an hour. I have yet to run the Audyssey but it sounds very impressive thus far after a few simple speaker distance adjustments. Movies deliver big time and music is also very enjoyable. I'm not really a 2 channel aficionado. I tend to prefer the multichannel audio whether it be true multichannel or 2 channel matrixes. Gaming via both PS3 and Xbox 360 are very engaging. My rear surrounds sound better than ever and more involved. My mythos ST towers each have a 12" powered subwoofer and they sound much more rich and smooth now. All this without Audyssey XT32 implemented... yet! The level of tweaking this unit is outstanding. Several DSP's allow practically any type of sound you could ever want. I'm very eager to continue playing with this processor to get the most from it as I feel I have only barely scratched the surface.

Of course one's system is only as good as its individual components. I eventually plan on getting an Oppo BD player. I also want to get a dedicated subwoofer... hopefully 2 eventually. I currently use my PS3 as my BD player so I'm hoping an Oppo will improve my BD collection as well as my music experience. I have yet to decide BDP 103 vs BDP 105. I may also upgrade my center and surround channels, but for now I am very pleased. Thanks for reading and for those of you torn or on the fence about this processor, my vote is a big 2 thumbs up!!!

Definitive Technology Mythos ST Fronts, Definitive Technology Mythos 10 Center, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL Surrounds, SVS PB 12 Plus Subwoofer
Integra DHC 80.2 Preamplifier/Processor, Sunfire TGA-7401 Amplifier, Oppo BDP 103 Universal Blu Ray Player,
Xbox 360, PS3, Apple TV
post #3794 of 3830 Old 10-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I sent my 80.2 out for repair the last week in Aug. After approximately 50 days without my processor I finally received notice that I'm getting a new 80.3 as a replacement. Hopefully I will receive the shipping info soon.
post #3795 of 3830 Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Of course one's system is only as good as its individual components. I eventually plan on getting an Oppo BD player. I also want to get a dedicated subwoofer... hopefully 2 eventually. I currently use my PS3 as my BD player so I'm hoping an Oppo will improve my BD collection as well as my music experience.

You have a terrific system but for the "individual component." I also started with a PS3 as a Bluray player. After 1 1/2 years, It fried itself (twice!) and I threw it in the trash in disgust. I bought an Oppo 93 and was floored by the difference in sound. I can now say I've never been happier about a piece of equipment failing. When the new Oppo models came out I scored a Nuforce audio card upgrade at a steep discount and love my 93 even more. I still play CDs on a Cambridge 640c v.2 but feel there is little difference between them (maybe Oppo a bit brighter, Cambridge a bit warmer?) I play these through Integra 80.2 and Sherbourn 7150 amp and my man cave rocks! You will be doing your system an immense favor by advancing beyond the middling sound card of the PS3. And I think you'll really enjoy the Audyssey XT32 when you finally set it up.
Have fun!
post #3796 of 3830 Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 AM

Liked: 14
FernandLeger,

I appreciate the feedback. That seems to be the general concensus across the forums. I look forward to the upgrade in both audio and video capabilities despite not having an Oppo player... YET! As for my DHC 80.2, I am loving my new level of performance even without an Oppo player. EVERYTHING is better! I love listening to music even moreso now and my movie library has been getting reviewed all over again. What a difference!!! It's so much fun rediscovering all forms of media and playing with this processor. Makes me want to keep on upgrading.... Lol!

Definitive Technology Mythos ST Fronts, Definitive Technology Mythos 10 Center, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL Surrounds, SVS PB 12 Plus Subwoofer
Integra DHC 80.2 Preamplifier/Processor, Sunfire TGA-7401 Amplifier, Oppo BDP 103 Universal Blu Ray Player,
Xbox 360, PS3, Apple TV
post #3797 of 3830 Old 10-23-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Sent my 80.2 out third week of August . Just got a 80.3 replacement today.

What is code for reading the serial number to see when it was made?
post #3798 of 3830 Old 11-02-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know all about the loss of sound but did you guys notice anything before hand with it going out. Last night I was watching Monsters University with my boys and often during the movie the sound was cutting out and you could here the 80.2 switching, sort of like it was changing modes I guess you would say. I have also noticed many of my DirecTV channels have a tinny sound.
post #3799 of 3830 Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 AM

I had little warning up front outside a flat out fail..... No picture with full sound until I cycled everything once maybe twice. I checked cables etc and after a cycle all worked as it should. Happened 2 maybe 3 times tops. After the last event it lasted about 10 days and then one day just nothing as in dead nothing I could do no pic no sound unit on any source not even a menu.

One thing that did work in my favor is I saved all my settings when I had the initial issue. Strongly suggest you look up in the manual how to save settings when it did go it came in handy. Honestly a couple of buttons like press and hold the main menu button or some such and it saves everything. Look it up and do it as soon as you can. When my unit came back, basically all I had to do is unpacked hook it back up and with a couple button strokes had all my sources back up and running. Also a good way to confirm you are not getting a b stock unit back from the shop. It seems at this point like Integra no longer have spare boards and you will if it fails likely get an 80.3

The only hope I can give you is to suggest you check your cables. Got a new cable box this past week I started having problems with sound on HD content from my cable provider, same issues constant switching no sound, sound in and out tinny or thin sounding when I did get sound. Only on HD on demand so I sort of figured or at least hoped it was something with the box settings.

As they say always check the cable. I finally did check the connections but all honesty it was not till I swapped the cable from another working source. Having played with all the setting and certain it was in fact setup correctly it was the only option left. Once I was sure it was the cable I got a spare and I am a more then happy with the results with a good 8-10 hours of on demand HD content under my belt no issues. I would not think an HDMI cable would go bad but putting in the new box I can only guess I did something to it... it had been in place working fine for a good 2-3 years and it did work on standard programs. Go figure.

Not all units where effected. When mine went in for service they asked for my serial number and were quick to confirm my unit fell in the date range of units that fail. You may want to call it in and see what they say, but I would not send it in till it fails. Integra has been good about fixing them even outside warranty but I do know they checked my unit before they serviced it. I assume some folks just figured better to get it done then not, so they did tell me they fully checked the unit and confirmed the HDMI board was not working.
post #3800 of 3830 Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

Mine has "0"

Hi Carl, "Y" is Nov.

1 - Jan

(2 - Feb to 8 - Aug)

9 - Sept

X - Oct

Y - Nov

Z - Dec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Quote:

So what does a 0,1 serial number mean. That is one of the sequences that Alan warned about.

The serial number 8th digital represent the year while the 9th digital represent the month.

So 0,1 (8th, 9th) would be Jan 2010.

You may want to ask alanl715 about the numbers.

Quote:

Sent my 80.2 out third week of August . Just got a 80.3 replacement today.

What is code for reading the serial number to see when it was made?
post #3801 of 3830 Old 11-03-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post

Thanks for this.
post #3802 of 3830 Old 11-23-2013, 01:11 AM

I highly recommend Adam's repair in Huntington Beach, CA in case anyone in need of a repair. I got mine repaired in 10 business days.

Mike
post #3803 of 3830 Old 11-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tszfung View Post

I highly recommend Adam's repair in Huntington Beach, CA in case anyone in need of a repair. I got mine repaired in 10 business days.

When my Integra needed work, it took less than a week at Adam's.

--Carl
post #3804 of 3830 Old 11-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought a used 80.2 no warranty, worked great for a year, then click, click, .......no sound sent it to adams $450 to replace the HDMI board. 30 days later click, click ............... no sound. I went to check connections and it was really hot, i mean way hooter than my emo upa-5 with the same clearances. is there another issue that 's been missed? what's next? awesome reciever when it's working.
post #3805 of 3830 Old 01-26-2014, 02:18 PM

Hey guys,

I purchased an Integra 80.2 brand new at least a couple of years ago and use it nearly every day and have had no issues, except one. I believe that I have worn out the volume toggle switch on the factory remote control. All of the other functions on the remote control work except for the volume. Of course, I replaced the batteries with fresh ones just to eliminate that as a possibility.

I attempted to open the remote control by removing the two tiny screws in the battery compartment but still can't get it open.

My question is, has any one else had this problem and were they able to fix it without buying a new remote control?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff.
post #3806 of 3830 Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Hey guys,
I'm new to the 80.2. I purchased it used, but in really great shape. It has already undergone the HDMI board replacement and seems to work great. Although new to this processor i'm not a newbe to audio gear. I'm simply upgrading and trying to move into this decade of AV gear. Prior to adding the 80.2 I had the following 5.1 audio gear:
Front: Martin Logan ReQuest.
Center: Martin Logan Logos.
Surround (sides): Martin logan Mosaic.
Amplifiers: 4 Adcom GFA 555 II Power amps (2 for bi-amped front speakers, 1 for bridged center speaker & 1 for surround speakers).
Subs: 2 Velodyne HGS-18.
Seat shakers: 8 RBH FX-80 subsonic transducers driven by 2 RBH SA-200 Sub Amps (2 shakers mounted in each of my 4 media seats).

To update my system to 7.2 I've added another Adcom GFA 555 II power amp for the rear surrounds and a pair of Martin Logan Motion 4s and swapped my old 5.1 processor with the Integra 80.2. The upgrade was easy and after resetting the 80.2 and updating the firmware to the latest rev, I have to say it sounds great without changing any of the levels or using Audyssey. My problem is after going through the Audyssey calibration my system sounds flat (boring) with most of the time, very little or no base. Maybe over the years I've grown use to an over based system, I'm not sure. So I've asked friends to listen and they agree… Although it sounds good, it's at best week sounding in the base region unless i'm playing a movie like superman (I believe that movie has too mush LFI, thats just my 2 cents).

Anyway, I've read through the instruction book and think I understand most of the options but have a few questions:
Before preforming the Audyssey cal), I turn off the subsonic transducers to make sure they don't cause interference with the sub settings. Turn off light dimmers and make sure it's a very quiet environment with no cell phones are any source of energy. I mount the cal mic straight up in my favorite listening position on a boom stand setting on the carpeted floor. I set each sub to 75DB (this is much lower than my original starting point) , then preform the listening cal 3 times in the same area making sure to not get the mic close to the seat back. When Audyssey is done calculating it seems to set distance, crossovers and levels pretty much as expected but both subs are reduced by another 4.5DB. This combined with the much lower setting on the back of the subs makes the the overall system sound flat with very little or no base. What am I doing wrong or is this typical of Audyssey and I just need to turn up the subs to my liking once the cal is complete?

I'm excited to read through all of the 125+ pages of this thread but thought I'd just put my question out early with the hope of a quick and simple answer (I know it seldom works that way but though I'd ask).. Any input is good input.
Thanks,

Technoholic
post #3807 of 3830 Old 01-27-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Rain View Post

Hey guys,
I'm new to the 80.2. I purchased it used, but in really great shape. It has already undergone the HDMI board replacement and seems to work great. Although new to this processor i'm not a newbe to audio gear. I'm simply upgrading and trying to move into this decade of AV gear. Prior to adding the 80.2 I had the following 5.1 audio gear:
Front: Martin Logan ReQuest.
Center: Martin Logan Logos.
Surround (sides): Martin logan Mosaic.
Amplifiers: 4 Adcom GFA 555 II Power amps (2 for bi-amped front speakers, 1 for bridged center speaker & 1 for surround speakers).
Subs: 2 Velodyne HGS-18.
Seat shakers: 8 RBH FX-80 subsonic transducers driven by 2 RBH SA-200 Sub Amps (2 shakers mounted in each of my 4 media seats).

To update my system to 7.2 I've added another Adcom GFA 555 II power amp for the rear surrounds and a pair of Martin Logan Motion 4s and swapped my old 5.1 processor with the Integra 80.2. The upgrade was easy and after resetting the 80.2 and updating the firmware to the latest rev, I have to say it sounds great without changing any of the levels or using Audyssey. My problem is after going through the Audyssey calibration my system sounds flat (boring) with most of the time, very little or no base. Maybe over the years I've grown use to an over based system, I'm not sure. So I've asked friends to listen and they agree… Although it sounds good, it's at best week sounding in the base region unless i'm playing a movie like superman (I believe that movie has too mush LFI, thats just my 2 cents).

Anyway, I've read through the instruction book and think I understand most of the options but have a few questions:
Before preforming the Audyssey cal), I turn off the subsonic transducers to make sure they don't cause interference with the sub settings. Turn off light dimmers and make sure it's a very quiet environment with no cell phones are any source of energy. I mount the cal mic straight up in my favorite listening position on a boom stand setting on the carpeted floor. I set each sub to 75DB (this is much lower than my original starting point) , then preform the listening cal 3 times in the same area making sure to not get the mic close to the seat back. When Audyssey is done calculating it seems to set distance, crossovers and levels pretty much as expected but both subs are reduced by another 4.5DB. This combined with the much lower setting on the back of the subs makes the the overall system sound flat with very little or no base. What am I doing wrong or is this typical of Audyssey and I just need to turn up the subs to my liking once the cal is complete?

I'm excited to read through all of the 125+ pages of this thread but thought I'd just put my question out early with the hope of a quick and simple answer (I know it seldom works that way but though I'd ask).. Any input is good input.
Thanks,

You might get more opinions if you take this to the Official Audyssey Thread. But we can start the ball rolling here.

First off, it is always a good thing to use all of the mic positions which your version of Audyssey permits, arranged according to the advice in the FAQ (see below). I doubt this has much to do with your question, but it is good practice and will deliver the best possible result for you in future if you use all positions available. (See FAQ answer below.)

Now the subs are not reduced "by another 4dB" when you see the final trims. The first pass where you set the subs to 75dB is just to get them into the ballpark. It has no bearing on the actual calibration. The calibration will measure the levels of the subs in the room, taking account of the influence of the room, and will set the subs to the correct level to yield a Reference calibration when the MV is at 0dB.

Also, the setting of the gain control on the subs can be very low - this in no way neuters your subs and they will still deliver their full output. All that the gain control setting means is that, in your case, the subs deliver their full output from a lower level (lower voltage) input. A trim of -4.5dB is, IMO, ideal as it is right in the mid-range but still allows you to run the subs a little hot if you prefer without overcooking the input to the sub at all.

OK - now to address your question. You don't seem to be doing anything wrong (other than not using all mic positions, but that isn't relevant to this issue in all likelihood - but see below).

Most people, listening in untreated rooms, have a lifetime's experience at listening to lumpy bass. As you may know, for bass frequencies, the room is the main influence on the sound you hear. If the room is untreated and if the sub placement is not optimal, then there can be variations in frequency response of as much as 30dB, commonly. When Audyssey flattens the bass response, a lot of energy can be removed from the room, and you will hear this as a "loss of bass". Hearing flat bass for the first time takes some getting used to. But it is worthwhile to persevere with it because lumpy bass can not only make the bass itself incorrect and 'one-note-ish', but it can also mask considerable detail in the mid and high frequencies, causing the sound overall to be poor. I would recommend you listen for a week or two with the bass as Audyssey has set it and let your ears accustomize themselves to flat bass. Chances are you will prefer it to the lumpy, one-note bass you may have gotten used to over time.

It is possible that your seating position is in a room null and this will destroy the bass at that position. No EQ system can combat a room null - increasing the energy at the null frequency simply causes more energy to be cancelled, but it is still cancelled. Think of it like pushing your fists together - no matter how much harder you push they still remain in the same position - but you are using more and more energy to get nowhere. Because of this Audyssey limits the amount of boost it will give to +6dB, in order not to damage speakers as more and more energy is pumped into them but with no apparent increase in loudness at the null frequency.

You can determine if you are sitting in a null in a number of ways. The simplest is to use a SPL meter. If you don't have one, download one for your smart phone or tablet - it will be accurate enough for this purpose (but don't rely on it for much else). Then play the sub test tones from your AVR and walk around the room with the SPL meter. You will see the level go up and down as you walk in and out of peaks and nulls. If there is a marked reduction in level at your MLP, you are sitting in a null. The way to address this is to optimise the sub placement in the room. Move it into alternate positions until there is no longer a null at the listening position. A peak is OK because Audyssey is good at taming peaks. Alternatively, move the chair into a different place if possible. No EQ system, including Audyssey, can compensate adequately for poor sub placement in the first place.

Assuming you are not sitting right in a null, the chances are that Audyssey has given you an accurate result for the bass.

One final thing - it is essential to engage Dynamic EQ if you listen at less than Reference level. Disengage Dynamic Volume if it is engaged as that will also kill bass. So DV to OFF and DEQ to ON.

There are some relevant FAQ answers below which may help.

f)5.    Since I ran Audyssey everything sounds great - but where has my bass gone?

a)3.   I keep reading about Reference Level'. What is it?

g)2.   What is Dynamic EQ?

d)2.   Do I really need to use all the available Audyssey mic positions?

If none of this helps or if it doesn't make sense etc, then bring it to the Audyssey thread for more detailed discussion.

post #3808 of 3830 Old 01-27-2014, 12:56 PM

Thanks Kbarnes701,
I will make sure DV is off. It looks like I've got a ton of reading/learning to do. I've been skimming the Audyssey threads and appreciate all the input. I'll take your advice and leave it as it is for a while to re-calibrate myself. I know my old system had been heavy with the Subs so it could very well just be my hearing. I'll also run the Audyssey cal with more positions, I just wanted to get a ball park so I was doing just the minimum required to run the cal. I have to say, It's been a lot of fun learning the 80.2 and am sure I'll have more questions about source material and how to set the correct audio formats. One thing I'm disappointed to find, (maybe not for this thread but) I've converted most of my Blu-Rays and DVDs to a format my Apple TV understands. I was not aware the Apple TV does not support much beyond Dolby DIgital 5.1. I was expecting my movie library to take advantage of the added channels…

Oh well, maybe a firmware update will resolve the ATV issue… Going to search the form for this as well… What a great place to learn AV stuff...

Technoholic
post #3809 of 3830 Old 01-27-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Rain View Post

Thanks Kbarnes701,
I will make sure DV is off. It looks like I've got a ton of reading/learning to do. I've been skimming the Audyssey threads and appreciate all the input. I'll take your advice and leave it as it is for a while to re-calibrate myself. I know my old system had been heavy with the Subs so it could very well just be my hearing. I'll also run the Audyssey cal with more positions, I just wanted to get a ball park so I was doing just the minimum required to run the cal. I have to say, It's been a lot of fun learning the 80.2 and am sure I'll have more questions about source material and how to set the correct audio formats. One thing I'm disappointed to find, (maybe not for this thread but) I've converted most of my Blu-Rays and DVDs to a format my Apple TV understands. I was not aware the Apple TV does not support much beyond Dolby DIgital 5.1. I was expecting my movie library to take advantage of the added channels…

Oh well, maybe a firmware update will resolve the ATV issue… Going to search the form for this as well… What a great place to learn AV stuff...

You are most welcome. If you have any other Audyssey setup questions please just ask..

post #3810 of 3830 Old 02-12-2014, 12:46 AM

Forgive me if this question has already been posted. Is there a way to speed up the rate of change of the volume control when using the remote?

Technoholic
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page