post #361 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk24wheel View Post

For the Video setup, click on the input you want to adjust and then click on the setup button and go to Source Setup. Scroll down to resolution and you can set the pass through or resolution for that input. Repeat this for each input you want to change.

Several posters have reported problems related to the HDMI interface between DVDO Edge and DHC 80.2 . I was thinking that if the Integra happens to be sophisticated enough on the video side, maybe I wouldn't need my Edge and could avoid any interface problems. With that in mind, let me pose a few questions about the video capabilities of this processor:

Besides setting resolutions per input, what other video control does the DHC 80.2 offer?

-----Is there a zoom or underscan capability?

-----Are there preset aspect ratios, for instance, 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.39:1? If so, are they assigned per input and can they be changed?

-----Can image geometry be manipulated vertically and horizontally (stretching and squeezing the picture as desired)?

Thanks to any who can provide infomation and/or experience about these matters.

Tom

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 AM

Liked: 10
I'm wanting to buy the 80.2 but I've been calling my local dealer the last few days and . . . no answer left message to no reply as well.

Anyone have a good suggestion or good dealer I can call?

Any info will be much appreciated!

GoGamer
post #363 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1 View Post

Have you tried mapping your audio sources to default listening modes? Meaning selecting the Direct TV input and mapping all audio sources to specific listening modes (e.g Doby PLII, etc.). That used to take care of the clicking issues with older Integra/Onkyo models but it seems that some users could not fix the clicking problem with their 80.1.

I have not tried that, I will.

Also, there is a dizzying list of audio modes to chose from. I only have 5.1. what should I concentrate on?
post #364 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Thx is a place to start pl works well. As well
post #365 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am looking at replacing an old Lexicon MC-1 and am considering the Integra DHC-80.2 and the Marantz AV7005. For those who have purchased or decided upon the Integra DHC-80.2 what were your reasons?
post #366 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post

I am looking at replacing an old Lexicon MC-1 and am considering the Integra DHC-80.2 and the Marantz AV7005. For those who have purchased or decided upon the Integra DHC-80.2 what were your reasons?

I replaced a sonically fantastic Proceed AVP-S with the 80.2 primarily because I wanted HDMI switching. I only have a 5.1 system and I don't expect to add any more channels any time soon. I just installed mine (partially) and haven't calibrated it yet so I can't comment on the sound quality relative to the AVP. I did audition the Lexicon against the Proceed AVP years ago and preferred the AVP over the Lexicon for 2 channel.
post #367 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I was directly comparing both of these units. For me the difference was Audyssey XT32 and more specifically, Audyssey SubEQ HT - the functionality of the Audyssey SubEQ built into the box was, I thought, a nice advantage to the Integra. Some may tell you, based off of the reputation of the AV8003, that the Marantz will sound better, but as of right now, I know of no direct comparisons that have been done. One of the writers for Secrets is slated to review both the 7005 and the Onkyo version of the 80.2. I'm sure he'll be able to make some comparisons - but I know as of right now he doesn't have either review unit.
post #368 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

One reason: Audyssey XT/32 optionally upgradeable to Audyssey PRO. That and I just do not quite trust Marantz. Their 8003 became outdated quite quickly because of an underperforming DSP. The 7005 appears to be their competitive response to the 80.1, but it still seems lacking in a few features, though it is aggressively priced.

I have had a 9.8 and an 80.1 with no problems to speak of. I am upgrading just to get Audyssey XT/32. I am an Audyssey Pro user. So, the Marantz never came into consideration for me. Integra seems to be a step ahead technology-wise. I do not think the 8003 sold well because of competition from the 9.8/80.1, so Marantz has slashed prices. What else have they cut back on inside the box? We do not know.

Speaking of Audyssey Pro, Audyssey Tech Support has said that that Pro will work with the 80.2 beginning the 1st week of November.
post #369 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

Speaking of Audyssey Pro, Audyssey Tech Support has said that that Pro will work with the 80.2 beginning the 1st week of November.

This is good news...
post #370 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM
KB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post

Also, there is a dizzying list of audio modes to chose from. I only have 5.1. what should I concentrate on?

On the cable input to my older Onkyo receiver (used as a pre-pro), I mapped Dolby Digital 5.1 (the native audio cable TV format for most shows) to Dolby Digital and everything else to Dolby PLII (you can choose the listening modes that you prefer, THX, etc). That way, when a show switches to a commercial and away from DD 5.1 (Dolby 2.0 for instance), it will always revert to a specific listening mode, which is suppose to eliminate the clicking. Based on the numerous posts on the subject in the 80.1 thread, it seems that it did not work for all users. It certainly worked for my older Onkyo receiver. You will also have to do the same for each input in your 80.2, i.e., blu-ray (there you probably want to map DTS HD to DTS HD, etc), DVD, and so on for all your devices. You will still get some clicking occasionally in some situations but it shouldn't be the norm when switching channels or fast fwding through recordings. Please let us know if that fixed the problem, I have been on the fence with the 80.X for a while and am curious to see if that's still an issue with some units
post #371 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

One reason: Audyssey XT/32 optionally upgradeable to Audyssey PRO.

Advance word is that the Marantz is also Pro compatible.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #372 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post

Several posters have reported problems related to the HDMI interface between DVDO Edge and DHC 80.2 . I was thinking that if the Integra happens to be sophisticated enough on the video side, maybe I wouldn't need my Edge and could avoid any interface problems. With that in mind, let me pose a few questions about the video capabilities of this processor:

Besides setting resolutions per input, what other video control does the DHC 80.2 offer?

-----Is there a zoom or underscan capability?

-----Are there preset aspect ratios, for instance, 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.39:1? If so, are they assigned per input and can they be changed?

-----Can image geometry be manipulated vertically and horizontally (stretching and squeezing the picture as desired)?

Thanks to any who can provide infomation and/or experience about these matters.

Tom

If you download the manual p.62 and 63 identifies what the video processor does. It does not have the flexibility of the Edge. No pre-set aspect ratio options. Just basic wide modes. It has three noise reduction features, edge enhancement and a variety of controls for contrast, hue, gamma, brightness etc. I own the Edge and when I tried to use it it disabled the hdmi ports I tried it on. I am using the 80.2's video processor only and it compares very favorably to the Edge. I actually think the PQ is just a bit cleaner. I don't use any of the NR settings and don't need them. When I did have the mosquito set on low it softened the picture. Then I turned it off and realized I didn't need it at all. I am very happy with it.
post #373 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a 9.1 set up and have all sources set to PLIIx Movie DSX. I rarely hear any clicking. The only time that I can recall hearing it is if I toggle through the listening modes. I have a Tivo HD and will get a click if I go to the Tivo list, however no clicking if I FF or RW. I have mine in a cabinet though so any clicking is hard to hear anyways. Not an issue for me.
post #374 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

I was directly comparing both of these units. For me the difference was Audyssey XT32 and more specifically, Audyssey SubEQ HT - the functionality of the Audyssey SubEQ built into the box was, I thought, a nice advantage to the Integra. Some may tell you, based off of the reputation of the AV8003, that the Marantz will sound better, but as of right now, I know of no direct comparisons that have been done. One of the writers for Secrets is slated to review both the 7005 and the Onkyo version of the 80.2. I'm sure he'll be able to make some comparisons - but I know as of right now he doesn't have either review unit.

I owned a Marantz AV8003. Outstanding with two channel music, but the surround sound couldn't compete with my Pioneer SC-27 or SC-09. The DHC 80.2 is phenominal with movie soundtracks. I think it surpasses the Pioneer units and is significantly more engaging than the AV8003. I just did a three position Audyssey calibration today and the before and after is huge. I was concerned that the bass would thin out, but it hasn't at all. I am very happy with this unit, except for the video issue I had with the Edge that disabled three of my hdmi ports. My dealer is exchanging the unit though so that will take care of that - for me anyways.
post #375 of 3830 Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:

On the cable input to my older Onkyo receiver (used as a pre-pro), I mapped Dolby Digital 5.1 (the native audio cable TV format for most shows) to Dolby Digital and everything else to Dolby PLII (you can choose the listening modes that you prefer, THX, etc). That way, when a show switches to a commercial and away from DD 5.1 (Dolby 2.0 for instance), it will always revert to a specific listening mode, which is suppose to eliminate the clicking. Based on the numerous posts on the subject in the 80.1 thread, it seems that it did not work for all users. It certainly worked for my older Onkyo receiver. You will also have to do the same for each input in your 80.2, i.e., blu-ray (there you probably want to map DTS HD to DTS HD, etc), DVD, and so on for all your devices. You will still get some clicking occasionally in some situations but it shouldn't be the norm when switching channels or fast fwding through recordings. Please let us know if that fixed the problem, I have been on the fence with the 80.X for a while and am curious to see if that's still an issue with some units

I played around with the DirectTV box and Integra 80.2 combo tonight trying to eliminate the clicking relays. Basically any time the Direct TV box drops audio (skipping forward, changing channels, an audio drop in the program, etc) the 80.2 clicks. If I have Dobly Digital out of the Direct TV box, I get clicking, no matter how I have the 80.2 configured. When I switch to Dolbly Digital Out turned off on the Direct TV box, the 80.2 no longer clicks when whenever the audio drops on the Direct TV box. I am not sure I want to not use Dolby Digital out of the Direct TV box. I will keep investigating.
post #376 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

I owned a Marantz AV8003. Outstanding with two channel music, but the surround sound couldn't compete with my Pioneer SC-27 or SC-09. The DHC 80.2 is phenominal with movie soundtracks. I think it surpasses the Pioneer units and is significantly more engaging than the AV8003. I just did a three position Audyssey calibration today and the before and after is huge. I was concerned that the bass would thin out, but it hasn't at all. I am very happy with this unit, except for the video issue I had with the Edge that disabled three of my hdmi ports. My dealer is exchanging the unit though so that will take care of that - for me anyways.

How do you loke the 80.2 for two channel music?

post #377 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

How do you loke the 80.2 for two channel music?

I haven't done any two channel listening yet. I am probably going to wait until I get my new unit. I want to do some comparisons between RCA and XLR analog as well as two channel through hdmi.
post #378 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

So the clicking relays, as I'm gathered they are called - can someone provide a link or more clear instructions on what exactly has to be "mapped" to get this to be less frequent?
post #379 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The 80.2 sounds quite good to my ears. It replaced a Denon AVP A1HD. No clicking problems. My only problem is when i first turn it on, I have no sound. I have to turn on and off a couple of times to get the sound. so far I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

gthomas
post #380 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 07:45 AM
KB1

Quote:

I played around with the DirectTV box and Integra 80.2 combo tonight trying to eliminate the clicking relays. Basically any time the Direct TV box drops audio (skipping forward, changing channels, an audio drop in the program, etc) the 80.2 clicks. If I have Dobly Digital out of the Direct TV box, I get clicking, no matter how I have the 80.2 configured. When I switch to Dolbly Digital Out turned off on the Direct TV box, the 80.2 no longer clicks when whenever the audio drops on the Direct TV box. I am not sure I want to not use Dolby Digital out of the Direct TV box. I will keep investigating.

So in your 80.2 listening modes mapping for your Direct TV input, you had "Dolby Digital" mapped to "Dolby Digital" and the other format options mapped to a specific listening mode (e.g. "Dolby PLII" and not "Last Used") and you still have clicking? That's weird, I would have thought that would have taken care of the problem. It seems that you are getting a relay click every time the audio switches, regardless of whether listening modes are already assigned. That certainly was not the case with older models, even though I'm still not sure whether the 80.1 had the same problem. Users of that unit posted varying results.
post #381 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Advance word is that the Marantz is also Pro compatible.

Yes, I rechecked Marantz' website, and it is not listed as such in the spec sheet, but it is listed under features. Thanks for the correction - pun intended.
post #382 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:

So in your 80.2 listening modes mapping for your Direct TV input, you had "Dolby Digital" mapped to "Dolby Digital" and the other format options mapped to a specific listening mode (e.g. "Dolby PLII" and not "Last Used") and you still have clicking? That's weird, I would have thought that would have taken care of the problem. It seems that you are getting a relay click every time the audio switches, regardless of whether listening modes are already assigned. That certainly was not the case with older models, even though I'm still not sure whether the 80.1 had the same problem. Users of that unit posted varying results.

I currently only have HDMI connecting the Direct TV box to the 80.2. On the listenting mode page for the Direct TV input I have the following set;
Analog/PCM = Unplugged
Mon/Multiplex Source = Unplugged
2 ch Source = Unplugged
Dolby D/Dolby D Plus/True HD = TV Logic
DTS/DTS-ES/DTS-HD = Unplugged
Other Multich Source = Unplugged

Not sure what mode to pick for the Dolby setting. When I go to the menu I get clicking too.

Also, last night, and again this morning, the I got no audio when starting up the TV/80.2. Restarting them worked both times. Maybe an HDMI handshaking error? Maybe I need to turn off the "control over HDMI" function?
post #383 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you are exactly right on the clicking. Coincidentally, I was fiddling with that last night on my 80.1. Setting the default listening modes the same, e.g., Dolby PLIIx, for all source types on the cable/sat input should eliminate clicking as source modes change with program material, as from mono to stereo to Mch on that HDMI input. That should also eliminate the clicking as you change channels, which might change the input source type. Careful though. There might be multiple pages of source types on the setup screen for each input, cable/sat, etc. See P. 64 "Listening Mode Presets" in the 80.2 Manual.

You probably do not want to set the default listening modes all the same for a Universal player on the BD/DVD input, however. You might want to be selective here depending on source type. The source type will not be as changeable as you play a given disk. Perhaps there would be a source type change between previews and the main feature or from there to the bonus features. Also, possibly, there might be clicking as you skip chapters on a BR disk. I have had that problem.

The clicking problem appears to stem from the multiple different source types HDMI inputs will transmit and the need for the 80.2 to relock to that source type whenever it changes, even momentarily. I doubt there is much of an issue with non-HDMI inputs such as analog or coax.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Reading the manual carefully and playing with this Listening Mode Presets setup for HDMI inputs should, I believe, eliminate most clicking issues.
post #384 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:

I think you are exactly right on the clicking. Coincidentally, I was fiddling with that last night on my 80.1. Setting the default listening modes the same, e.g., Dolby PLIIx, for all source types on the cable/sat input should eliminate clicking as source modes change with program material, as from mono to stereo to Mch on that HDMI input. That should also eliminate the clicking as you change channels, which might change the input source type. Careful though. There might be multiple pages of source types on the setup screen for each input, cable/sat, etc. See P. 64 "Listening Mode Presets" in the 80.2 Manual.

You probably do not want to set the default listening modes all the same for a Universal player on the BD/DVD input, however. You might want to be selective here depending on source type. The source type will not be as changeable as you play a given disk. Perhaps there would be a source type change between previews and the main feature or from there to the bonus features. Also, possibly, there might be clicking as you skip chapters on a BR disk. I have had that problem.

The clicking problem appears to stem from the multiple different source types HDMI inputs will transmit and the need for the 80.2 to relock to that source type whenever it changes, even momentarily. I doubt there is much of an issue with non-HDMI inputs such as analog or coax.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Reading the manual carefully and playing with this Listening Mode Presets setup for HDMI inputs should, I believe, eliminate most clicking issues.

My theory is that Integra uses reed type relays to disconnect audio channels, and they are disconnecting them (mute) every time the digital decode loses synch to eliminate pops from the audio system. Maybe this is when I get zero clicks when I tell the Direct TV box to send PCM and not Dolby out. Trouble is the Dobly out sounds better.

If I ran an optical cable do you think that would change things? Might be a decent test. Can you force the 80.2 to look at the optical cable instead of the HDMI for audio? Would this increase lip synch issues?
post #385 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

The 80.2 sounds quite good to my ears. It replaced a Denon AVP A1HD. No clicking problems. My only problem is when i first turn it on, I have no sound. I have to turn on and off a couple of times to get the sound. so far I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Have you tried switching the order in which your components go on? Definitely sounds like a handshake problem. Also, instead of turning it on and off try changing channels to see if you get the sound back.
post #386 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you are right, it's a handshake problem. It makes no difference in changing channels. I have it set to turn on and trigger my amps at the same time.

gthomas
post #387 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

If I buy the Audyssey pro kit and license with the 80.2 I am purchasing, is that Audyssey pro kit and license useable with any future or other Audyssey pro enabled receiver or processor that I buy without buying anything else, or is it somehow specific to or married to the unit I buy it for?
post #388 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Have you tried switching the order in which your components go on? Definitely sounds like a handshake problem. Also, instead of turning it on and off try changing channels to see if you get the sound back.

I am having this problem too. I had set my system for HDMI Control which is slick in that 80.2 controls the TV and the TV controls the 80.2. But, it seems like when they both come on at the same time there are handshaking issues. Perhaps Integra can insert a delay between the component turn on signals?
post #389 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have the Pro Kit it is good for all audyssey equiped units. HOWEVER, you will need to buy a different license for each unit you get. I have the Pro Kit and used it for my Denon AVP A1HD. Now that I have the 80.2 it will cost $150 for the license but then it is good forever no matter how many times you use the license.

gthomas
post #390 of 3830 Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

If you have the Pro Kit it is good for all audyssey equiped units. HOWEVER, you will need to buy a different license for each unit you get. I have the Pro Kit and used it for my Denon AVP A1HD. Now that I have the 80.2 it will cost $150 for the license but then it is good forever no matter how many times you use the license.

Where can one get the pro kit?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page