post #631 of 3830 Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I could not replicate this with the demos in the "Spears etc" calibration disk that came with my Oppo using my Oppo 83.

Not a lot of clicks for me using the Oppo.

I will search my collection for other blu rays that have dts master. I have a few operas that might.

What software are you using on your PC?

Joel

The issues I was having are now fixed. I had totally forgotten that Arcsoft had an issue with the latest ATI drivers that broke bitstreaming. Since I had not updated until right before getting the Integra, I didnt know what "broke" meant. I updated to the latest TMT3 with the hotfix, and now all is good. No more silent movie after rewinding and no more 100db white noise on other movies.

Still have a million relay clicks though when navigating movie menus and at the beginning when the different FBI screens, etc are going on and off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3830 Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've received a few pm's asking my opinion of the 80.2 relative to some of my previous receivers/pre pro's so I thought I'd just post for everyone's benefit. In the past two and a half years I've owned the Denon 5805MKII; Marantz AV8003/MM8003; Pioneer SC-27; Pioneer SC 09 and now the 80.2. It appears that I'm just never satisfied or I could be looking for audio nirvana, but frankly I owned the 5805 for four years before selling it and have been looking for something else to be my mainstay audio component. I’ve use different DVD players, cd players, cables, etc. so it’s hard to say that this review, or any for that matter, is really an apples to apples review.

The sound on the 5805 was crisp, clean and powerful for both surround and two channel formats, but after reading a review of the Marantz I bought the pre-amp pre-pro combo as much for performance as for its newer technology. The Marantz was a great two channel performer. I liked it better than the 5805 on two channel, however, I never thought the surround sound was quite up to par with the Denon and didn't like the fact that it didn't matrix to 7.1 on DTS Master tracks. A real negative in my book. I developed a ground loop hum with the Marantz pieces that I could not locate and sold them for the SC 27. The SC 27 was/is one of the best surround receivers I've ever owned and dollar for dollar, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck in what I've owned. I just loved its sound on surround movie tracks. It did an adequate job with two channel, but not nearly as good as the Marantz and Denon in that department. I thought that if the SC 27 sounds this good the SC 09 should be that much better and I traded up.

Two channel music on the SC 09 simply brought a smile to my face. I just loved it. Best I'd heard on anything I've ever owned. Surround was also great, but I really couldn't tell if it was better than the SC 27 in that area. I wanted it to be better for such a difference in price, but I was very happy with both. My wife actually liked the SC 27 better for surround sound. Pioneer got something right there. Pioneer got me back into the surround mode as I'd drifted over to making two channel my priority. In the SC 09 I thought I'd found the piece that I'd live with for quite some time when all of a sudden I heard the internal fans go on for the first time and they were loud! I had it in a cabinet that was not giving it enough breathing room and causing the fans to come on. It only did it maybe once a week or every other week but it drove me nuts and after trying different fan set- ups I decided to reluctantly move on. I used an old pioneer receiver of mine, bought an Integra DTA 70.1 amp and then waited for the 80.2 come out. Integra/Onkyo’s cutting edge features always intrigued me, but I had heard that the sound was bright so I stayed away from Onkyo products. Until now of course.

I currently have the 80.2 paired with an Integra DTA 70.1 nine channel amp, Def Tech ST's, Mythos 10 center, Mythos Two's for wide speakers, XL surrounds and a Trinity sub for a 9.1 set up. I am using a Pioneer BDP 09FD Blu Ray player running video direct to my Mitsubishi 82837 and the audio via hdmi to the 80.2; a Sony XA5400ES SACD/CD player and for TV viewing I have a Tivo HD Series 3.

First off, I think all of the products I’ve owned are more alike than different. I liked every one of them and to say one is so much better than the other may be misleading. Plus, everyone's tastes and ears are different. I have a tendency to compare a product to what I like to hear (strong bass for instance) and that's not always the right barometer. That's why I always take these reviews with a grain of salt and note that No.1 it's the reviewer’s opinion based on his/her set up in their home and No. 2. it's also a new toy so the reviewer (in many cases) will want it to be better than what they had before. That said, I am pleasantly surprised with the overall performance of the 80.2 even though I haven't tweaked it the way that I want to because mine is going to be exchanged for a new one on Monday. (I had an incompatibility issue with my DVDO Edge that disabled the hdmi ports that I connected it to on the 80.2.)

After running a three position Audyssey I find the 9.1 set-up to be entirely engaging. I think that the two wides make a nice difference in the surround sound (BTW so does the wife). Subjectively, I think it's the widest soundstage I’ve ever had. Would it be the same if I only had a 7.1 set-up as with my previous receivers/pre-pro's? I don't know. I can certainly say the surround sound with my new 9.1 set up is a step forward from a staging point of view. It also provides very good detail and resolution. Better than the Pio SC 27 or SC09? Hard to tell without having them here for an A-B comparison, but certainly as gratifying as the best that I can remember. As for the two channel performance, I am smiling! I am happy to find that this player does a very nice job with two channel analog. I haven't tried two channel over hdmi yet, but I am very, very happy with its two channel analog performance. This is most surprising given what I've read about its predecessors. Coming from the outstanding two channel performance of the Pioneer SC 09 I was prepared for a step backwards, but it is not a step back at all. It wonderfully compares to the SC 09 in this area.

After all is said and done there are some issues with the unit that will have to be addressed. The video issue I had with the DVDO Edge is really significant in my mind. Plus, in my setup, I notice a little video judder when using the 80.2's processing. My Mits does not handle 24fps well so I don’t know if it’s a compatibility issue with the TV or what. It just may be unique to my set up as no one else has posted on this. It only happens occasionally, but it never happened with my Edge running to whatever receiver/processor I had. Also, I think the bass runs a tad hot and the surrounds are also a tad hot after Audyssey is run. Again though, I only ran a three position calibration and haven’t tweaked at all. The resolution and detail are very good and I am fairly confident I can tweak to my liking. Coming from some pretty good audio components I am pretty happy with the 80.2 overall. I really can’t think of another processor or receiver on the market that I’d rather have right now.
post #633 of 3830 Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nice comments. Let's compare notes when you start tweaking replacement. I found setting the levels after Audessey got the bass right. I have a good meter for this. Of course 8 points will be better than 3. I do not have the wides in my system conventional 7.2. My room geometry will not permit optimal placement for wides . I am curious about wides in non optimal placement positions.
post #634 of 3830 Old 10-30-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
can someone pm me on prices and dealers,

thanks
post #635 of 3830 Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 PM

Liked: 10
I just received my new 80.2 and got it hooked up Friday. This is my first experience with Integra, but so far I am very impressed! I replaced my older B&K Ref 50 S2 in my HTit was just time to do soway too many improvements have happened in the HT world since I bought my B&K ;-)

Replacement and hookup was very fast and simple (I like fast and simple ;-). I had the old unit out and the 80.2 in place, with all connections, in less than an hour (including installation of the latest firmware upgradeit took all of 5 minutes!). One of the key reasons for my migration was to take advantage of passing audio via HDMI (vs COAX or fiber as I've had to do in the past) along with the benefits of doing so (both in audio quality and number of connections). You can definitely hear the difference ;-) I have not run the Audyssey setup as of yetawaiting a boom stand I ordered for the mic (I can't stand still for 30 minutes at a time ;-). I'm looking forward to hearing the benefits of their MultEQ in my own room!

I've been monitoring the blog for some time (in anticipation of getting one of these ;-). Based on issues reported, I've not experienced any problems with the network or video difficulties (I only have 3 input devicesan older BluRay, HD DVD along with a Cox DVRall are passing 1080p through without difficulty to my Panasonic projector). I have noticed the clicking' that several have mentioned when the audio format changes, but my equipment rack is far enough away that it's not an issue for me. I also experience a slight pop' (not loud, and is not effected by changing the volume) in both the left- and right-front channels during turn-on (I have set a 3 second delay to the 12v trigger (A), but the pop doesn't occur when the amps comes onit happens when the audio comes on initially (there's a slight (2-3 second) delay between the amp powering up and when audio actually beginsI assume this is the processor sorting out the audio stream). I haven't confirmed as yet whether the pop is an amp/speaker issue or is attributed to the 80.2. One other pointthis puppy runs HOT (even with the front and back of my equipment rack open and a 3+ inch air gap above the unit)! I have ordered a laptop fan to sit on top of the unit (above the air vents at the back) to pull air through the 80.2 to help reduce the temp. The one thing electronics DO NOT LIKE is HEAT!!! ;-).

All that said, I'm very pleased with what I have experienced so far with my new 80.2. And yes, they would have to pry my cold, dead hands off' to take it from me ;-)))

Also, thought I would share a positive experience I had with acquiring my new 80.2a few weeks ago while visiting family in Texas, I took the opportunity to check out some Texas dealers to see what I could find (I live in Kansas, but Texas dealers are great too! ;-). Called a few and ended up going to one that had an actual showroom. While they didn't physically have the DHC-80.2 in stock, they did have several on order. Real nice folksprofessional owner and an impressive showroom. I went ahead and ordered an 80.2 from them. Even though I don't live in that area I was confident that if I ran into issues I would get some hand-holding' if I wanted or needed it. I like knowing the dealer will support me if there are problems that need to be resolved.

They called me on Monday and let me know the unit had arrived, sent me the tracking info and I had it by Thursday! WOW!.

The dealer is Ranger Home Automation (254-773-4663). I don't think they do internet salesyou may have to actually visit the store, but it's worth it! It's a shame the I-35 Interstate expansion project will require them to tear down their showroom. It's apparent a lot of effort, time and money went into it. If you're in the area, it's worth the time to check them out!

Glen
post #636 of 3830 Old 10-31-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an Antec av cooler that works fine for the heat in my system produced by the 80.2.
post #637 of 3830 Old 10-31-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I have an Antec av cooler that works fine for the heat in my system produced by the 80.2.

Those looks really nice, I would think one could build something similar like that for about $25 - I'll bet they work great for the hot running Onkyo / Integras...

Shame they pump out so much heat - limits their exposure to the market I'd bet... good luck to you guys that get them.... I'm pretty thankful that my next preamp will be hanging out in the basement out of site in the cold.

I'm curious - is the XT32 showing signs of being any different of how it behaves compared to XT... Any difference in how it takes measurements ?

Is it offering all that much better/noticable resolution over XT?
Is XT with pro still a viable solution in comparison.... ?

Thanks - lookin for a secondary prepro, haven't decided just yet ....
post #638 of 3830 Old 10-31-2010, 04:30 PM

Liked: 12
Would some of you 80.2 owners pm me their Integras dealer and price. Thanks for your help.

Jack
post #639 of 3830 Old 10-31-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Those looks really nice, I would think one could build something similar like that for about $25 - I'll bet they work great for the hot running Onkyo / Integras...

Shame they pump out so much heat - limits their exposure to the market I'd bet... good luck to you guys that get them.... I'm pretty thankful that my next preamp will be hanging out in the basement out of site in the cold.

I'm curious - is the XT32 showing signs of being any different of how it behaves compared to XT... Any difference in how it takes measurements ?

Is it offering all that much better/noticable resolution over XT?
Is XT with pro still a viable solution in comparison.... ?

Thanks - lookin for a secondary prepro, haven't decided just yet ....

For me xt32 was faster to set up than my 885 measurements went faster, calculating took a bit longer. The sound at the high end seems clearer and imaging is better. The ability to use 2 different subs in my system is a plus. Bass now goes down to 25hz or less but is not excessive in normal listening So Double basses sound like they should. Not sure about the pro system. XT32 is very good in my 7.2 system and the pro is expensive with the license. Heat is not that much of a deal versus others pre/pros; also the whole system in my home puts out lots of heat; Amps and tv also need good venting.
post #640 of 3830 Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Tested the units 2 channel performance with CD input in direct mode with all processing off. The performance was OK but not great in my system. The sound was a bit bright for my taste. Inserted Arcam A80 in preamp mode between 80.2 & amps. The difference was night & day in 2 channel mode. Not unexpected. Its a great processor though for movies. XT32 nicely takes care of my difficult room with 2 subs. The nice feature of Audyssey is it prompts you to level match both subs prior to running the EQ.

Vinod
post #641 of 3830 Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Tested the units 2 channel performance with CD input in direct mode with all processing off. The performance was OK but not great in my system. The sound was a bit bright for my taste. Inserted Arcam A80 in preamp mode between 80.2 & amps. The difference was night & day in 2 channel mode. Not unexpected. Its a great processor though for movies. XT32 nicely takes care of my difficult room with 2 subs. The nice feature of Audyssey is it prompts you to level match both subs prior to running the EQ.

How did cd sound with Audessey on i. e stereo mode for u?
post #642 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have not tried CD playaback in 2 channel mode with Audyssey on. I will try & see if there is any difference. I usually prefer to listen to music in straight 2 channel mode with front lt/rt running full range with no subs.

Vinod
post #643 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 AM

Dealer cost just was lowered to $1680!!
post #644 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED View Post

Dealer cost just was lowered to $1680!!

Was MSRP lowered as well?

Jeff
post #645 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I assume you are using the analog inputs to the 80.2. You might try coax in from the CD player to see if there is any improvement. You could still do that either in direct or with Audyssey & bass mgmt on.
post #646 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Was MSRP lowered as well?

Jeff

Probably wishful thinking. There may be more room for discounting, though.
post #647 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had just the opposite experience. I thought it sounded more natural in direct mode and just a tad processed in stereo mode with Audyssey engaged. I, like you, do not like to use a sub for two channel listening either. Although the sound is different between direct and stereo both are still quite good. I'm surprised that the 80.2 will not allow for two channel listening without a sub unless it's direct. Perhaps I'm missing something. Is there any way to bypass the sub in stereo mode?
post #648 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I use an Oppo BDP-83SE for blu-ray playback as well as CD/hi rez disc playback. Is there a way to listen to music from the Oppo and have on regular TV? Thanks for any help.

post #649 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM

So I got a little taste of what the 80.2 is like at a buddy's house. We were watching The Walking Dead in HD (on AMC) and it flipped between DD and PL at practically every individual commercial. We tried changing the sound presets, he's running the latest firmware...it is just an odd problem. And it sounds like this is nothing new to Integra/Onkyo folks.

Is there anything that can be done about it? The occasional relay click is expected, but flip-flopping 5 times during a commercial break is a bit...aggravating.

My 3808 never exhibits issues like this so I was a bit short on helpful advice.
post #650 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

I had just the opposite experience. I thought it sounded more natural in direct mode and just a tad processed in stereo mode with Audyssey engaged. I, like you, do not like to use a sub for two channel listening either. Although the sound is different between direct and stereo both are still quite good. I'm surprised that the 80.2 will not allow for two channel listening without a sub unless it's direct. Perhaps I'm missing something. Is there any way to bypass the sub in stereo mode?

Go into speaker configuration and set ur front to full. When done then over to your previous setting
post #651 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

I use an Oppo BDP-83SE for blu-ray playback as well as CD/hi rez disc playback. Is there a way to listen to music from the Oppo and have on regular TV? Thanks for any help.

This may work. Set ur audio input for tape to the oppo perhaps with coax. Start ur cd then to tv and then to tape. This works for me with a squeeze box. I would like to watch tv with net USB input for Pandora but have not figured that out. Perhaps a firmware change will give us this flexibility if it is not already there.
post #652 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeights View Post

So I got a little taste of what the 80.2 is like at a buddy's house. We were watching The Walking Dead in HD (on AMC) and it flipped between DD and PL at practically every individual commercial. We tried changing the sound presets, he's running the latest firmware...it is just an odd problem. And it sounds like this is nothing new to Integra/Onkyo folks.

Is there anything that can be done about it? The occasional relay click is expected, but flip-flopping 5 times during a commercial break is a bit...aggravating.

My 3808 never exhibits issues like this so I was a bit short on helpful advice.

Did you set all signal modes (i.e. DD 5.1, dts 5.1 DD 2.0) to the same listening mode pre-set? This way no matter what the input signal that is received it should always be processed using the same listening mode that you pre-set.
post #653 of 3830 Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Since I put the 80.2 in place, I began to notice that my MX3000/MRF-300/RFX-150 unified remote system was behaving erratically. I have it set to transmit/receive only RF, no IR. What was once a one touch control became a random number of pushes. Then I noticed the RF indicator on the RFX-150 was glowing constantly.

The MRF-300 (base) is three feet away from the 80.2 at the top of a Middle Atlantic rack. The RFX-150 (RF receiver) is 4 feet away from the MRF-300 and on the other side of a 5 inch insulated interior wall. The equipment rack is in a separate room from the theatre and the RFX-150 is on the back wall of the theatre.

In the course of solving my problem, I noted that I had to unplug all the HDMI cables from the 80.2 before the RFX-150 would cease to glow constantly. Obviously, this was not optimal!

My current solution is not pretty and a hack: the RFX-150 is set to the minimum and I had to wrap the cable from it to the MRF-300 in aluminum foil.

Has anyone else experience this type of RF interference?
post #654 of 3830 Old 11-02-2010, 04:11 AM

Liked: 53
The RFX-150 can pick up a lot of interference and was replaced by the RFX-250. If your MX-3000 is one of the newer models with narrowband RF I would replace the RFX-150 with an RFX-250.

You would have to call URC to see if you have a newer 3000. I can't remember when they started putting in the narrowband transmitter in their remotes (?~2006) but if your unit has it then get an RFX-250 and solve the interference problems.

Bob
post #655 of 3830 Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Wireless member

Just an FYI ... the latest news is that the sister Onkyo SC5508P *is* Audyssey Pro-ready. Chris at Audyssey has posted that it is and Onkyo's website also lists that as a feature.

Jeff
post #656 of 3830 Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Just an FYI ... the latest news is that the sister Onkyo SC5508P *is* Audyssey Pro-ready. Chris at Audyssey has posted that it is and Onkyo's website also lists that as a feature.

Jeff

Price quotes I received on the SC5508P from Pro Acoustics & GG Video were more than I paid for the Integra DHC-80.2...

Some may prefer the looks of the Onkyo though. Coming from owning the Onkyo TX-NR906 to the DHC-80.2 & DTA-70.1 Combo, I very much like the Integra look.

MSRP difference is small...$2,300, 80.2 Vs. $2,199, 5508. Integra's longer warranty, 3 years vs. 2 years, and no questions asked dealer replacement in the event of a failure during the first 6 months, make the DHC-80.2 purchase a no brainer.

Phil C.
"Where does he get all those wonderful toys"
Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman
post #657 of 3830 Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pciav View Post

Price quotes I received on the SC5508P from Pro Acoustics & GG Video were more than I paid for the Integra DHC-80.2...

Some may prefer the looks of the Onkyo though. Coming from owning the Onkyo TX-NR906 to the DHC-80.2 & DTA-70.1 Combo, I very much like the Integra look.

MSRP difference is small...$2,300, 80.2 Vs. $2,199, 5508. Integra's longer warranty, 3 years vs. 2 years, and no questions asked dealer replacement in the event of a failure during the first 6 months, make the DHC-80.2 purchase a no brainer.

For me, they are identical pieces. Even a face color difference won't matter a bit as my "head-end" is behind the seating area. For me, it would probably come down to price. Odd that you were able to buy the 80.2 for less than an 5508. That was certainly not the case with my 885 which I bought .. delivered .. from the company you mention for $1325 when everyone else was buying 9.8's for $1600 and up.

Jeff
post #658 of 3830 Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pciav View Post

Integra's no questions asked dealer replacement in the event of a failure during the first 6 months, make the DHC-80.2 purchase a no brainer.

Never heard of this dealer replacement policy before???

R
post #659 of 3830 Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me, they are identical pieces. Even a face color difference won't matter a bit as my "head-end" is behind the seating area. For me, it would probably come down to price. Odd that you were able to buy the 80.2 for less than an 5508. That was certainly not the case with my 885 which I bought .. delivered .. from the company you mention for $1325 when everyone else was buying 9.8's for $1600 and up.

Jeff

depends on the dealer, shipping, and tax
post #660 of 3830 Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Wireless member

Razvanel, now there's a name from the past!

Jeff
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page