Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

The relay clicks are, IMO, a non-issue. They only happen when you are making some sort of change to the system. Since you are interacting with the pre/pro at that point, you are already, "out of the moment" of watching the movie or listening to the music. The minor distraction of the relay clicks is immaterial. Furthermore, they are so low in level that they are hardly audible. I can barely hear them at my LP, which is about 10 ft. from my equipment rack. The rack is open so there is no physical impediment, (such as a door), to hearing the clicks. Even so, they are just barely audible.

In making a decision about a pre/pro, the lowest priority should be given to the fact that the relays click when changing inputs. IMO.

Craig

Craig, can you clarify your source components?

I only have a 5.1 system. With DVD I have no issues. When the audio format changes from the menu to the feature there will be a click, when pausing there is a click. No issue.

With the Direct TV HR22-100 we skip forward and backward at every commercial break to skip commercials. When we skip forward say 6 button presses, we get one relay click, no big deal. When we skip backwards, we get a click for every press of the back button. Also, we mostly watch HD shows and most output 5.1 but many commercials don't. When watching saw a 1 hour show, and skipping commercials, we will get 50-70 relay clicks. I often watch at low volume levels after my wife is asleep and the clicks from my open componet rack are plenty audible.

Having said that, changing to an audio mode that does not decode 5.1 greatly reduces clicks.

Two things are apparent to me, ntegra uses physical relays to disconnect the audio path, and they have to disconnect the audio path to prevent something objectionable from coming out of the speakers when the digital audio loses sync or re-syncs. My old processor never made an audible relay click.

I am certain that the relay clicks are just part of the Integra design.

I'd love to hear from others with Direct TV DVRs which model DVR they have, and if they get the same clicking behavior I do when in Dolby Digital audio modes.

I also have audible pops with out the speakers when I switch some audio modes and when when in the Dolby Digital audio modes and the TV audio switches from 5.1 to 2 channel and back. Oddly, these pops happen even when I mute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Hi, where did you learn about Pro working over Ethernet? And what is the interface in the Integra Interface 2?

Jeff

I learned that from Audyssey Tech Support for my 80.1. The 80.2 is apparently the same. The dongle for the RS-232 connection no longer works, starting with the 80.1. They now use the Integra 2 or Onkyo 2 connection options in Pro, which is only via Ethernet. The only trick is you have to first get the Integra's IP address from Setup: Network in the Integra (or Onkyo) so you can enter it at the beginning of your Pro session. It's not in the Pro User Guide yet.
post #723 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

I learned that from Audyssey Tech Support for my 80.1. The 80.2 is apparently the same. The dongle for the RS-232 connection no longer works, starting with the 80.1. They now use the Integra 2 or Onkyo 2 connection options in Pro, which is only via Ethernet. The only trick is you have to get the Integra's IP address from Setup: Network in the Integra (or Onkyo) so you can enter it at the beginning of your Pro session.

Sounds faster than a serial connection measured in BAUD!
post #724 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds faster than a serial connection measured in BAUD!

I think it is a bit faster, but 11 positions still takes me about an hour. I am really itching to get XT/32 running with Pro. I'll do a comparison to my 80.1 before I sell it. I've already got a local buyer.
post #725 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post

I only have a 5.1 system. With DVD I have no issues. When the audio format changes from the menu to the feature there will be a click, when pausing there is a click. No issue.

With the Direct TV HR22-100 we skip forward and backward at every commercial break to skip commercials. When we skip forward say 6 button presses, we get one relay click, no big deal. When we skip backwards, we get a click for every press of the back button. Also, we mostly watch HD shows and most output 5.1 but many commercials don't. When watching saw a 1 hour show, and skipping commercials, we will get 50-70 relay clicks. I often watch at low volume levels after my wife is asleep and the clicks from my open componet rack are plenty audible.

Having said that, changing to an audio mode that does not decode 5.1 greatly reduces clicks.

Two things are apparent to me, Integra uses physical relays to disconnect the audio path, and they have to disconnect the audio path to prevent something objectionable from coming out of the speakers when the digital audio loses sync or re-syncs. My old processor never made an audible relay click.

I'd love to hear from others with Direct TV DVRs which model DVR they have, and if they get the same clicking behavior I do when in Dolby Digital audio modes.

I also have audible pops with out the speakers when I switch some audio modes and when when in the Dolby Digital audio modes and the TV audio switches from 5.1 to 2 channel and back. Oddly, these pops happen even when I mute.

When playing back a recording form Direct TV use the fast 3 setting. Fast forward through all the commercials. Then push play when you see the program start up again. The recording will go back about 15-30 seconds so you do not miss the program (sort of like the TIVO commercial killer). This will cut the clicks for you. I have an HR20-100.

The pops from speakers must be coming from some other issue perhaps related . I do not have these. Be sure to tell your dealer to call support about both issues to see what they have to say for fixes. I do not think the clicks can be eliminated due to the design but they can be decreased a lot by user choices. THX modes work fine for me.

Joel
post #726 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post

Two things are apparent to me, ntegra uses physical relays to disconnect the audio path, and they have to disconnect the audio path to prevent something objectionable from coming out of the speakers when the digital audio loses sync or re-syncs. My old processor never made an audible relay click.

I have an Oppo BDP-83 and a Scientific Atlanta 8300 CATV box. I don't recall getting clicks when FF or Rev on the Oppo. I haven't done much TV watching on the system since installing the 80.2, and I haven't watched anything from the DVR, so I can't comment on that. I have no pops.

I have run Audyssey XT32 and I am *very* pleased with the sound. I have posted some measurements and listening impressions here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...59877&page=151
Posts # 4508, 4509, 4525 & 4535
^ That is the Seaton Sound Submersive thread in the Subwoofer Forum. I posted there because I upgraded the amps in my subs at the same time I upgraded my pre/pro from the Onkyo 885 to the 80.2.

I would have posted here also, but we're not supposed to cross-post. Anyone considering an 80.2 should take a look at my posts above because a lot of my comments are related to the pre/pro and Audyssey XT32.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #727 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheld View Post

Integra gear has clicked for a long time. I have a DTR 9.1 that clicks every time the format changes.

The only time the Integra 9.8 clicks is when putting in standby or turning on. Source changes or audio format changes do not result in any clicking. (correcting my earlier post)

What is confusing with the 80.2 is not everyone seems to be experiencing the "non-issue". There are reports of clicks any time the audio format changes or it is interupted regardless of source. Maybe it is strictly source related such as Direct TV box xyz, OPPO XX etc ? HDMI or SPDIF connections? What happens when changing radio stations?

If it is an 80.2 design why doesn't everyone have the clicks? Some say they don't notice, others have stated no issues at all. It appears it is either source related or an 80.2 defect on some units if not everyone is experiencing the same thing.
post #728 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 12:44 PM
KB1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I have an Oppo BDP-83 and a Scientific Atlanta 8300 CATV box. I don't recall getting clicks when FF or Rev on the Oppo. I haven't done much TV watching on the system since installing the 80.2, and I haven't watched anything from the DVR, so I can't comment on that. I have no pops.

I have run Audyssey XT32 and I am *very* pleased with the sound. I have posted some measurements and listening impressions here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...59877&page=151
Posts # 4508, 4509, 4525 & 4535
^ That is the Seaton Sound Submersive thread in the Subwoofer Forum. I posted there because I upgraded the amps in my subs at the same time I upgraded my pre/pro from the Onkyo 885 to the 80.2.

I would have posted here also, but we're not supposed to cross-post. Anyone considering an 80.2 should take a look at my posts above because a lot of my comments are related to the pre/pro and Audyssey XT32.

Craig

Hey Craig,

When you get a chance, can you please play, fwd, rewind, some DVR programs? I also have a Scientific Atlanta 8300 CATV box, as most cable users have, and I would love to know if you have clicking issues there. I'm trying to see if this clicking problem is maybe more of an issue with Direct TV boxes. Thanks!
post #729 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I learned that from Audyssey Tech Support for my 80.1. The 80.2 is apparently the same. The dongle for the RS-232 connection no longer works, starting with the 80.1. They now use the Integra 2 or Onkyo 2 connection options in Pro, which is only via Ethernet. The only trick is you have to first get the Integra's IP address from Setup: Network in the Integra (or Onkyo) so you can enter it at the beginning of your Pro session. It's not in the Pro User Guide yet.

Hi Fitz,

According to Kris Deering he was able to perform two Audyssey Pro calibrations on two 80.1s via RS-232.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=390

Are you saying that at some point Audyssey Pro support for the RS-232 connection was discontinued?

Thanks.

Larry
post #730 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Fitz,

According to Kris Deering he was able to perform two Audyssey Pro calibrations on two 80.1s via RS-232.

Are you saying that at some point Audyssey Pro support for the RS-232 connection was discontinued?

Thanks.

Larry

Just a guess and maybe semantics, but I'd say that Audyssey Pro support on the RS-232 was discontinued ... by Onkyo.
post #731 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Fitz,

Thanks.

Larry

I was absolutely unable to establish a connection with Pro to an 80.1 the old RS-232 way. Audyssey Support told me I had to use the Ethernet with the Integra 2 connection selected for the 80.1 and that the old way would not work. That is what I have been using on the 80.1 since. My 80.1 was bought shortly after the initial release, so no offense to Kris, but I do not believe RS 232 ever worked with the 80.1.
post #732 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Downloaded and installed through the Network connection. Took less than 5 minutes total. Description below...

After the download I tried a DTS 96/24 disc...No change to the DTS 96/24 problem. DTS 96/24 is still being reported as DTS 96/24 @ 48 KHz instead of 96 Khz and is being output as regular DTS, not DTS 96/24. See Post #484
-----------------------------------------------------------
Integra 11/10/10 Firmware Update Description

"We are pleased to offer this firmware update for the best possible performance of your AV Receiver.

A firmware update is now available through the Network or USB connections on the DTR-80.2/70.2 and DHC-80.2.

The 11/10/10 update addresses the following: DTR-80.2/70.2 and DHC-80.2
1. Improves the playback of particular wav files
2. Corrects intermittent activation of Auto Power Down function during playback in NET/USB mode"

Phil C.
"Where does he get all those wonderful toys"
Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman
post #733 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about that. Seemed to change the sound a bit. I will redo xt 32 this weekend. Perhaps after a full reset.

Did a full reset and calibration. Sound is different -esp for subs. perhaps a bit richer but very very good as it was before. Hard to say this is an improvment in sound from my squeezebox but it seems so. I will fully check levels out this weekend. ;looking forward to Kal's review
post #734 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Audyssey made version 3.4 of Audyssey Pro available late last week, which includes support for the 80.2 via Integra Interface 2 and a network connection to the PC running the Pro software. Unfortunately, the 80.2 will not yet support Pro in Integra's current 10/27/10 firmware release. I have been in contact with both Audyssey and Integra Tech Support about it, and, apparently, I am the first to attempt a Pro calibration of the 80.2.
Thank you for your information in this regard. I had intended to attempt a Pro calibration of my 80.2 last weekend, but other priorities prevented me from trying it.

Bob
post #735 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Question:
I'll receive my 80.2 next week. Through trial and error while using my current setup I have found that the best position for my Front and Rear speakers is to aim them 10 degrees away from my main listening spot rather than straight at it. I have a bizarre room shape and this configuration seems to compensate for a lot of my room issues and provides the best surround effect. Should I re-aim the speakers directly at my main listening spot before running the Audyssey calibrations or leave my speakers pointed the way they are because they already produce optimal sound?
post #736 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraSaurasRex View Post
Question:
I'll receive my 80.2 next week. Through trial and error while using my current setup I have found that the best position for my Front and Rear speakers is to aim them 10 degrees away from my main listening spot rather than straight at it. I have a bizarre room shape. Should I re-aim the speakers directly at my main listening spot before running the Audyssey calibrations or leave my speakers pointed the way they are because they already produce optimal sound?

If you've found the spot for optimal sound leave them there. Audyssey will just augment from that.

post #737 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Try it your way 1st and see how it sounds. Follow the Audyssey FAQ for set up.
post #738 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 PM

I haven't seen much info in this thread regarding use of the Audyssey 9.1 wide+high functionality, so thought I would pass along my findings.

I came from a traditional 7.1 system. I shifted the rear surrounds to the front wide positions and added two small surround speakers in the 'high' positions. Based on some lengthy testing today, I have come to the conclusion I actually prefer the sound effects, both for music as well as movies and TV.

Due to door positions, my room (21'x15') is configured to use the long wall rather than the short one for my screen/front speakers. This provides the benefit of being able to spread out the front speakers, but it also creates sonic holes between the fronts and side-surrounds. The 'wide' speaker positions fill this in nicely. In addition, the 'high' positions have helped to fill in the gaps along the front wall and opened up the sound stage substantially (it's a VERY noticable difference when switching between 'direct' and Audyssey now, as you might expect, but was able to confirm). The best description I have at this point is that I now have a 'wall of sound' (21' wide), without any perceivable holes (at least to my ears ;-).

As to setup, I repositioned my speakers and re-ran the MultEQ setup making the wide+high selection. I used the same mic placements I had used with my 7.1 configuration. When complete, I changed my input defaults to DTS Neo:6 Audyssey for both music and movie settings. Note that I hadn't changed all of my defaults to the DTS setting (I had left the Dolby and DTS segments to Direct Through), so I had to frequently monitor the front display of the 80.2 to ensure all 10 speakers were active (I also used the Listening Mode segment of the Home menu to verify Audyssey was active).

If you have an interest (and the time and resources , I would recommend that you give this configuration a try. The Audyssey processing in the 80.2 is really awesome...and the 'wide+high' configuration is definitely something worth while that I had not experienced before!

Glen
post #739 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone have a link to the Onkyo 5508 official thread.

Jack Barry
post #740 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBarry View Post
Does anyone have a link to the Onkyo 5508 official thread.

Jack Barry
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=sc5508

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #741 of 3832 Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 PM

...I bought a 40.2 and that thread is far less active than this one. I think the networking features of these two units are the same or nearly so. If true, then someone here can probably help me with network audio 101. Here's the cut-n-paste from the 40.2 thread:

I'm an oldtimer with Integra having picked up an original 9.8 nearly 3 years ago. But I don't know diddly about network audio. I just picked up a 40.2 and here's what I'd like to do:

Requirements:
Must be able to rip my cd's to FLAC or some other lossless format.
Must be able to choose music to playback from my monitor screen
Should display artist, song name, etc. and nice to have would be CD cover artwork
Would also be nice to see the same playback information on some sort of handheld device (smart phone maybe?)
What should I get to make this happen? If it can happen with just a computer with a massive HD, I'd rather do that than buy a squeezebox type of device.

Now that I've embarrassed myself, anyone want to tell me what I need besides my 40.2 powered A/V system?

By the way, no extra pops from a 9.8 to a 40.2 that I've noticed.

mazekl
post #742 of 3832 Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post

Thank you for your information in this regard. I had intended to attempt a Pro calibration of my 80.2 last weekend, but other priorities prevented me from trying it.

Intergra Support finally got their act together and now says the 80.2 firmware upgrade for Audyssey Pro 3.4 will be available around next Wednesday, 11/17/10. I wait with eager anticipation.
post #743 of 3832 Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweeb View Post

The only time the Integra 9.8 clicks is when putting in standby or turning on. Source changes or audio format changes do not result in any clicking. (correcting my earlier post)

What is confusing with the 80.2 is not everyone seems to be experiencing the "non-issue". There are reports of clicks any time the audio format changes or it is interupted regardless of source. Maybe it is strictly source related such as Direct TV box xyz, OPPO XX etc ? HDMI or SPDIF connections? What happens when changing radio stations?

If it is an 80.2 design why doesn't everyone have the clicks? Some say they don't notice, others have stated no issues at all. It appears it is either source related or an 80.2 defect on some units if not everyone is experiencing the same thing.

I do not think it points to a hardware or firmware defect. I think it means a combination of 3 things: (1.) not all users are as susceptible to it (2.) not all users use it in a way that triggers the clicks (3.) setup of the defailt listening modes combined with their other equipment (cable/sat box in particular) may give different results as to clicks.
post #744 of 3832 Old 11-11-2010, 01:40 PM

I have the Integra DTC-9.8 currently. Looks like the Integra processor's been through a few refreshes since then.

My needs are for 7.1, as there are no native 9.2 sources. Some features in the new proc that look appealing to me: HDMI 1.4, more HDMI connectors, USB support, iPod docking, updated Audyssey (MultEQ XT/32), network audio (though I may be able to achieve that, with an Oppo BDP-93 ... and wireless-N to boot).

So, some questions for people who have taken the plunge but previously had the 9.8:

- Is the sound quality noticeably improved, particularly the analog electronics section? The 9.8 isn't bad, but was a little bit of a step down from a Theta or Classé level of quality. Does the new model have better analog electronics?
- How much better is the video processing? There were bugs noted with the video processing on the 9.8. I wound up turning off the processing entirely since all my sources are capable of high-quality 1080p output (Oppo DVD universal player, Panasonic blu-ray, Toshiba HD-DVD).
- Do I gain much getting Audyssey MultEQ XT/32? Or would I be better off investing in the Pro kit and a license for my current 9.8?

Colin Dunn
post #745 of 3832 Old 11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Sound video much improved from onkyo. 885 (clone of 9.8). Xt 32 is a step up-seems to do better on surround effects (perhaps this is THX plus) as well as tonal balance. I have no idea how the pro kit on a 9.8 compares. Several on this thread have pro kits and will try them on the 80.2 soon. I like the net access for Pandora and firmware upgrades. The 93 looks very nice. I use an 83 with the 80.2. Good results. 2nd sub turns out to make a difference.
post #746 of 3832 Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunn View Post

- Do I gain much getting Audyssey MultEQ XT/32? Or would I be better off investing in the Pro kit and a license for my current 9.8?

XT32 features SubEQ HT which as full functionality of Audyssey's external sub eq box. Big step up from what was capable in standard EQXT - even with pro calibration.
post #747 of 3832 Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

XT32 features SubEQ HT which as full functionality of Audyssey's external sub eq box. Big step up from what was capable in standard EQXT - even with pro calibration.

I was wondering about the SubEQ in XT32. I figure it must not have the resolution of the stand alone external sub EQ which SVS sells for $750.

Does it actually do anything different than the 80.1 which also sets phase and distance for 2 subs separately then EQ's them together?

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #748 of 3832 Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
pbo

If you are having problems with greyed out firmware and network options check out my post.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19474875

Paul O'Neal
International Networking, Inc
post #749 of 3832 Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

I was wondering about the SubEQ in XT32. I figure it must not have the resolution of the stand alone external sub EQ which SVS sells for $750.

Does it actually do anything different than the 80.1 which also sets phase and distance for 2 subs separately then EQ's them together?

I don't think the 80.1 corrects two sub channels as one. It corrects them as individual channels. The Audyssey feature that does two as one is "Sub EQ HT" which is new on the 80.2. Before that, only the SVS AS-EQ1 and Audyssey's Subwoofer Equalizer treated two sub channels as one.

Jeff
post #750 of 3832 Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think the 80.1 corrects two sub channels as one. It corrects them as individual channels. The Audyssey feature that does two as one is "Sub EQ HT" which is new on the 80.2. Before that, only the SVS AS-EQ1 and Audyssey's Subwoofer Equalizer treated two sub channels as one.

Jeff

So what happens if one changes levels of one or two subs after Audyssey ? Is the correction now faulty or are changes automatically integrated into the sound scheme?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page