Originally Posted by mgrobins
I currently own the DTR 7.8 which i am using as a pre for an integra amp. I am interested in the DHC 80.2 as a possible upgrade seeing as it has extra HDMI inputs etc.
Can anyone who has owned the 7.8 or similar model in that series attest to the benefits of upgrading? I use the audyssey so am interested in the XT32 as well.
Not sure what the changes lead to in real terms thugh so I'd appreciate peoples feedback.
I upgraded from the 9.8 Integra pre/pro to the 80.2. things I really like in the upgrade
1. 7 "usable" HDMI inputs(one on the front panel not really of use for me), and I use every one of them!
2. new "source" selection under HDMI output resolution. this was a key update for me. It allows me to passthrough my 1080p/24 signal from my Oppo BDP-83 untouched by video processing in the Integra, but upgrade all my other signals to 1080p by the Integra. very nice.
3. remote-MILES ahead of the 9.8 in terms of ergonomics-a very sleek remote. easy to handle and use
4. on-screen display. 9.8 never had it. I really like the HOME key, as I can see exactly how my video and audio processing are set up, and I can switch between inputs via the OSD. very cool.
5. XT32. calibration does a better job of sound separation than the 9.8 did. a great deal of clarity now on every channel. sub calibration is very smooth-excellent roll-off on front and center channels.
my 9.8 did a great job for 3 years, and with a dealer discount, I got the 80.2 for only a couple of hundred more than I paid for my 9.8. well worth the upgrade to me.