Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post

Thanks for the correction, Jeff.

I don't know how I got it so messed up...but somehow (!) I've been living under the mistaken impression that the DHC was a receiver instead of a preamp.

I've been following the Denon 4311 thread as well as this one. Apparently, I "jumped to confusions" somewhere along the way that the Integra DHC was a receiver, like the 4311! (Even though the Integra thread title clearly says "pre/pro"---Duh).

Just before I replied, I looked up at the thread subject .. just .. to .. make .. sure .. I knew where I was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3830 Old 12-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I currently own the DTR 7.8 which i am using as a pre for an integra amp. I am interested in the DHC 80.2 as a possible upgrade seeing as it has extra HDMI inputs etc.

Can anyone who has owned the 7.8 or similar model in that series attest to the benefits of upgrading? I use the audyssey so am interested in the XT32 as well.

Not sure what the changes lead to in real terms thugh so I'd appreciate peoples feedback.

Kind regards,
post #1173 of 3830 Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrobins View Post

Hi,

I currently own the DTR 7.8 which i am using as a pre for an integra amp. I am interested in the DHC 80.2 as a possible upgrade seeing as it has extra HDMI inputs etc.

Can anyone who has owned the 7.8 or similar model in that series attest to the benefits of upgrading? I use the audyssey so am interested in the XT32 as well.

Not sure what the changes lead to in real terms thugh so I'd appreciate peoples feedback.

Kind regards,

I upgraded from the 9.8 Integra pre/pro to the 80.2. things I really like in the upgrade

1. 7 "usable" HDMI inputs(one on the front panel not really of use for me), and I use every one of them!
2. new "source" selection under HDMI output resolution. this was a key update for me. It allows me to passthrough my 1080p/24 signal from my Oppo BDP-83 untouched by video processing in the Integra, but upgrade all my other signals to 1080p by the Integra. very nice.
3. remote-MILES ahead of the 9.8 in terms of ergonomics-a very sleek remote. easy to handle and use
4. on-screen display. 9.8 never had it. I really like the HOME key, as I can see exactly how my video and audio processing are set up, and I can switch between inputs via the OSD. very cool.
5. XT32. calibration does a better job of sound separation than the 9.8 did. a great deal of clarity now on every channel. sub calibration is very smooth-excellent roll-off on front and center channels.

my 9.8 did a great job for 3 years, and with a dealer discount, I got the 80.2 for only a couple of hundred more than I paid for my 9.8. well worth the upgrade to me.
post #1174 of 3830 Old 12-19-2010, 09:40 PM

All great info Z06.... thanks very much .

In terms of the differences you described in the audio would you say it's noticeable in and worthwhile in general movie watching or only apparent if you look for the differences with you old AVR??

I'm in Australia so I'll need to look around for a good price with a dealer and see what the 2nd hand market for the 7.8 is to help fund an upgrade!
post #1175 of 3830 Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 PM

Yesterday i contacted directly to Integra (Onkyo) to clarify what is the difference between the two. I got a reply that the integra models contains components with better quality (lower tolerance) and power supply is generally bigger. Seems true when looking at drawn current atleast...

Might be b-**** still, but i think not. And with my ears Integra models sounds better....i think most ppl would notice with stereo at least.
post #1176 of 3830 Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrobins View Post

All great info Z06.... thanks very much .

In terms of the differences you described in the audio would you say it's noticeable in and worthwhile in general movie watching or only apparent if you look for the differences with you old AVR??

I'm in Australia so I'll need to look around for a good price with a dealer and see what the 2nd hand market for the 7.8 is to help fund an upgrade!

I notice the audio differences the most with 5.1 audio(DVD-A, SACD), via HDMI, as well as movie soundtracks. Hard to describe, but it's a more enveloping sound experience. 5.1 audio sources have much more presence, particularly the surrounds. the drums and strings on Fleetwood Mac's Rumours especially shine in the surrounds compared to my 9.8. I attribute that to the XT32. To me, it's a very noticable difference over the 9.8.
post #1177 of 3830 Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Are there any changes in the Neural procesing mode (digital music, THX etc) in the 80.2?

How does this mode affect the front channels?

Joel
post #1178 of 3830 Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Have we seen reports of pro implementation for US 5508 and 80.2s?

Audyssey Pro works perfectly fine via an ethernet link for the 80.2 with Pro 3.4 and the latest Integra firmware. That's how I did my calibration. I do not know the current status of the Onkyo.
post #1179 of 3830 Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post

I notice the audio differences the most with 5.1 audio(DVD-A, SACD), via HDMI, as well as movie soundtracks. Hard to describe, but it's a more enveloping sound experience. 5.1 audio sources have much more presence, particularly the surrounds. the drums and strings on Fleetwood Mac's Rumours especially shine in the surrounds compared to my 9.8. I attribute that to the XT32. To me, it's a very noticable difference over the 9.8.

Agreed, it's a definite upgrade over the 9.8 and a somewhat more suble but discernable one over the 80.1.
post #1180 of 3830 Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM

A couple of questions;

What's the best Bluray to put the 80.2 through it's paces? What's a soundtrack that will wow me! I have a 7.1 (rear channels) set up.

Do I need new HDMI cables? I bought my first set maybe 3 years ago, do I need to upgrade them?

Will the 80.2 make my Comcast cable picture look better? Will the upscaling of the 80.2 make my 1080i cable picture look better?

This is my very, very outdated website.
post #1181 of 3830 Old 12-20-2010, 01:57 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post
A couple of questions;

What's the best Bluray to put the 80.2 through it's paces? What's a soundtrack that will wow me! I have a 7.1 (rear channels) set up.

Do I need new HDMI cables? I bought my first set maybe 3 years ago, do I need to upgrade them?

Will the 80.2 make my Comcast cable picture look better? Will the upscaling of the 80.2 make my 1080i cable picture look better?
Hellboy II and Toy Story 3 have true 7.1 soundtracks. Both are awesome.

My favorite 5.1 demo soundtracks are: Iron Man, Avatar, Cloverfield (for LFE), Transformers, Master and Commander, War of the Worlds (for LFE), and Saving Private Ryan.
post #1182 of 3830 Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

Hellboy II and Toy Story 3 have true 7.1 soundtracks. Both are awesome.

My favorite 5.1 demo soundtracks are: Iron Man, Avatar, Cloverfield (for LFE), Transformers, Master and Commander, War of the Worlds (for LFE), and Saving Private Ryan.

Cool, thanks. I really wish Master and Commander would have been a hit. I think that was supposed to be a series. Maybe I'll get Hellboy II and check that out, got to love Del Toro.

This is my very, very outdated website.
post #1183 of 3830 Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

Cool, thanks. I really wish Master and Commander would have been a hit. I think that was supposed to be a series. Maybe I'll get Hellboy II and check that out, got to love Del Toro.

Don't underestimate the opening battle sequence of Master and Commander. It is demo quality for the entire system from top to bottom.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #1184 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

2. new "source" selection under HDMI output resolution. this was a key update for me. It allows me to passthrough my 1080p/24 signal from my Oppo BDP-83 untouched by video processing in the Integra, but upgrade all my other signals to 1080p by the Integra. very nice.

Does the 80.1 do this?

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #1185 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Does the 80.1 do this?

yes, the 80.1 does have this feature as well.
post #1186 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Don't underestimate the opening battle sequence of Master and Commander. It is demo quality for the entire system from top to bottom.

Jeff

the only annoying thing about M&C blu-ray is for some unknown reason they put a 25hz filter on the blu-ray soundtrack so all LFE below 25hz is cut off. this really kills some of the canon shots during the battle sequences.
post #1187 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are there any changes in the Neural procesing mode (digital music, THX etc) in the 80.2?

How does this mode affect the front channels?

Joel

Hi Joel,

I don't know whether DTS Neural Surround listening mode has been modified, however, based on DTS's Chief Scientist, and Neural Audio's co-founder, the front channels were not effected in the versions released in 2008, for 5.1 to 7.1 upconversions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_0001 View Post

[...]the front channels are not involved in the operation at all, they are left completely alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob r. View Post

Yes, the front channels are completely left alone in Neural's 5 to 7 channel rendering.

rob r.

(aka Robert Reams, Co-Founder and Senior Fellow, Emeritus (rolleyes), Neural Audio Corp)

Neural Surround can upmix stereo to 5.1 or 7.1. I'm guessing that in that particular two-channel case the original main channels would have to be altered in order to extract appropriate content and steer it to the surrounds.

Note:
Initially a company called Neural Audio invented a process called "THX Neural Surround". At the time THX merely had a marketing relationship to promote the process using their brand, hence the "THX" in the name. Later DTS, Inc. purchased Neural Audio and the name changed to "DTS Neural Surround".

Larry

post #1188 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

A couple of questions;

The Expendables in Blu Ray has a 7.1 DTS MA soundtrack that's pretty good.
post #1189 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Joel,

I don't know whether DTS Neural Surround listening mode has been modified, however, based on DTS's Chief Scientist, and Neural Audio's co-founder, the front channels were not effected in the versions released in 2008, for 5.1 to 7.1 upconversions.

Neural Surround can upmix stereo to 5.1 or 7.1. I'm guessing that in that particular two-channel case the original main channels would have to be altered in order to extract appropriate content and steer it to the surrounds.

Note:
Initially a company called Neural Audio invented a process called "THX Neural Surround". At the time THX merely had a marketing relationship to promote the process using their brand, hence the "THX" in the name. Later DTS, Inc. purchased Neural Audio and the name changed to "DTS Neural Surround".

Larry

Thanks for the info. I have like this mode in several cases from old CDs to some direct tv broadcasts and wondered what it was doing.
post #1190 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Ok guys, I have decided to upgrade from the 9.8 based on all of your raves. My old local dealer is no longer in business here in AZ and am considering buying the 80.2 on line. Any recommendations? Is AVS an approved seller?
post #1191 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe an ignorant question, but I've been fumbling for a little while trying to figure this out and am coming up short...
Is there a way to set up for 2 channel sources to be played only through the L/R speakers and not use the sub?

Also - can someone please tell me Listening Mode Presets work...because when I put in a CD and play it I'm getting "All Ch Stereo" even though none of the presets are "All Ch Stereo". In face, the 2 ch Source is set to stereo but I'm getting "All Ch Stereo".

post #1192 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

Maybe an ignorant question, but I've been fumbling for a little while trying to figure this out and am coming up short...
Is there a way to set up for 2 channel sources to be played only through the L/R speakers and not use the sub?

Set them up as "Direct."

Quote:

Also - can someone please tell me Listening Mode Presets work...because when I put in a CD and play it I'm getting "All Ch Stereo" even though none of the presets are "All Ch Stereo". In face, the 2 ch Source is set to stereo but I'm getting "All Ch Stereo".

For that input?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #1193 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Set them up as "Direct."

But "Direct" doesn't give any kind of room equalization right? When I was using my Denon 3808 as a pre there was a 2-channel set-up where you could designate how two channel sources were handled (either with or without sub and how that was done) and it still preserved room correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

For that input?

I'm not sure I get your question. So I'm using my Oppo as a transport. None of the listening mode presets are "All Ch Stereo" - yet I put in a CD and I get "All Ch Stereo". Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Listening Mode Presets?

post #1194 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

But "Direct" doesn't give any kind of room equalization right?

Possibly. I have not used the 80.2 so I do not know its specifics.

Quote:

I'm not sure I get your question. So I'm using my Oppo as a transport. None of the listening mode presets are "All Ch Stereo" - yet I put in a CD and I get "All Ch Stereo". Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Listening Mode Presets?

That is, indeed, strange and suggestive of a malfunction. The Integras I know have presets per input. What I was asking was whether your preset was set by input or generally.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #1195 of 3830 Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But "Direct" doesn't give any kind of room equalization right? When I was using my Denon 3808 as a pre there was a 2-channel set-up where you could designate how two channel sources were handled (either with or without sub and how that was done) and it still preserved room correction.

Make sure each of your inputs has the settings you want for each type of signal. This is done in the setup menu.

You make your l/r full and then choose stereo. If they are not full what is wrong with using the sub? This will give you XT32 correction. There are also settings for direct to turn on or off the sub for both analogue or digital stereo inputs. But for direct you do not have XT32.
post #1196 of 3830 Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Make sure each of your inputs has the settings you want for each type of signal. This is done in the setup menu.

You make your l/r full and then choose stereo. If they are not full what is wrong with using the sub? This will give you XT32 correction. There are also settings for direct to turn on or off the sub for both analogue or digital stereo inputs. But for direct you do not have XT32.

So this brings up a question for me. If listening to DVD-A multi channel what setting would you use so that xt32 is on? The multichannel setting?

post #1197 of 3830 Old 12-22-2010, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes - under "Listening Mode Presets". In my earlier post I said that each of these are assigned. None of them say "All Ch Stereo" yet I get "All Ch Stereo". I can select Stereo - but how is it possible that I'm getting a mode that is nowhere to be found in my assignments. Maybe I'll post a screen shot tonight.

Many (like me) like to use just their full L/R speakers without a subwoofer for 2-channel listening but then cross over for movies. I want room correction but not a sub. This was exceptionally easy to set up with Denon. I guess it is not so much in the Integra. Really the only way I can find it to go into the speaker set-up menu and change the front speakers to full and disable the sub.
Direct achieves this - but without any type of room correction.

post #1198 of 3830 Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

So this brings up a question for me. If listening to DVD-A multi channel what setting would you use so that xt32 is on? The multichannel setting?

Sure. Any of the multi channel settings sound good. Try and choose I like neo dts based ones
post #1199 of 3830 Old 12-22-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes - under "Listening Mode Presets". In my earlier post I said that each of these are assigned. None of them say "All Ch Stereo" Yet I get "All Ch Stereo".

What is your input? Cd? What is your input mode?
post #1200 of 3830 Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is your input? Cd? What is your input mode?

BD/DVD.
I don't understand the "input mode" question. I have an Oppo BDP-83 sending PCM.

I mean - maybe someone can help me here because I thought having all of these "assigned" was supposed to decrease relay clicks. My unit clicks probably 30 times between loading a Blu-ray and getting the movie started...between previews, FBI warnings, menu navigation.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page