post #1681 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Yikes! Don't use TV as a reference for what Audyssey does. There's way too many hands in play by the time a TV feed gets to your system. You can get different sounding feeds from the same program on different channels.. or the cable provider might give you the same feed to all channels showing that program and screw up the signals in that process...

Agreed, TV sound is no reference. But, as a by-product of proper setup and EQ, dialogue articulation should be optimal, and that includes TV. I was just trying to assure the poster that with proper setup, the Super Bowl and other sports events do come through just fine. If they do not, you likely have setup issues, like a mis-aimed center channe or one with poor dispersion, for example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Many speakers are capable of hitting lower hertz than they are given credit for. That being said, unless you're in a large room, a crossover setting of 40Hz would make your subwoofer very lonely. I would certainly increase the Hz to about 80 or so, if you have a potent subwoofer. If your sub isn't the greatest, perhaps a crossover of 60hz may be optimal, if your speakers SOUND good when bass is extended (emphasis on sound sinnce just because a speaker can measure down to 40hz doesn't mean it will sound good as it produces 40hz, ya know?)

I say all that to say, all our tastes are different. I have a friend who has his subwoofer way too high--it's not that he doesn't know that setup is wrong; he just want to feel a rumble everytime someone talks. Personal theater preferences are as various as clothing styles. i personally always move crossovers to 80hz for my L & R speakers, and 100Hz for the Center and Surround Channels since my SVS-PB13 Ultra sub blends the best with my towers at those settings. I make sure to keep all the other settings Audyssey suggests. (spk. level, distance, etc).

It's your canvas--enjoy painting.
Good advice. The issue is how it sounds best to you. But, with XT/32, there is no longer as compelling a reason to raise the x-overs to 60 or 80. Filter resolution is now equal in all channels and they are now all about as smooth as the subwoofer. The sub channel used to have double filter resolution with XT, giving it smoother response than the mains or surrounds at low frequencies. So, it used to be a good idea to send as much as you could within reason to the sub via a higher x-over setting, like 80 Hz.

The key question now is do the main + surrounds have the power response and handling below 80 Hz or so vs. the sub. They may measure lower on test tones, but they may sound better if crossed over higher than Audyssey sets them. I have not found that to be the case yet in my system, but YMMV.
post #1683 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So Joe and I aren't the only ones:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/i...ocessor-page-3

"Despite all of my troubleshooting efforts, I couldn’t eliminate a minor bug with the Integra. Whenever I powered on the unit, there would be a nearly silent pop when it locked onto the audio signal. I disconnected every component and couldn’t find the source of this phenomenon. Typically, this type of issue is caused by an improperly grounded component somewhere in the system. But I haven’t had this problem with any other surround processor or AVR that I’ve run through my equipment rack, which leads me to believe the issue lies with the Integra. Is this a deal killer? Absolutely not. It’s more of a minor annoyance."

Yes - I know it is the 80.2 vs the 40.2 - but I have the same thing with mine. Up to now, there have only been two reports - here is a 3rd.
post #1684 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

So Joe and I aren't the only ones:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/i...ocessor-page-3

"Despite all of my troubleshooting efforts, I couldn't eliminate a minor bug with the Integra. Whenever I powered on the unit, there would be a nearly silent pop when it locked onto the audio signal. I disconnected every component and couldn't find the source of this phenomenon. Typically, this type of issue is caused by an improperly grounded component somewhere in the system. But I haven't had this problem with any other surround processor or AVR that I've run through my equipment rack, which leads me to believe the issue lies with the Integra. Is this a deal killer? Absolutely not. It's more of a minor annoyance."

Yes - I know it is the 80.2 vs the 40.2 - but I have the same thing with mine. Up to now, there have only been two reports - here is a 3rd.

Right. But, it's not the Integra. It's the Integra and the amps not getting along, even though the amps may have been fine before. There are so few of these reports with other amps. And, I bet just about every processor has problems with certain amps or source components. So, if you can't get it fixed (unlikely), and you can't live with it, then change your amps or try a new prepro.
post #1685 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

Right. But, it's not the Integra. It's the Integra and the amps not getting along, even though the amps may have been fine before. There are so few of these reports with other amps. And, I bet just about every processor has problems with certain amps or source components. So, if you can't get it fixed (unlikely), and you can't live with it, then change your amps or try a new prepro.

I don't have any pops with my 80.2 at all in the exact same system...it was something with that particular unit IMHO.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #1686 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Many speakers are capable of hitting lower hertz than they are given credit for. That being said, unless you're in a large room, a crossover setting of 40Hz would make your subwoofer very lonely. I would certainly increase the Hz to about 80 or so, if you have a potent subwoofer. If your sub isn't the greatest, perhaps a crossover of 60hz may be optimal, if your speakers SOUND good when bass is extended (emphasis on sound sinnce just because a speaker can measure down to 40hz doesn't mean it will sound good as it produces 40hz, ya know?)

I say all that to say, all our tastes are different. I have a friend who has his subwoofer way too high--it's not that he doesn't know that setup is wrong; he just want to feel a rumble everytime someone talks. Personal theater preferences are as various as clothing styles. i personally always move crossovers to 80hz for my L & R speakers, and 100Hz for the Center and Surround Channels since my SVS-PB13 Ultra sub blends the best with my towers at those settings. I make sure to keep all the other settings Audyssey suggests. (spk. level, distance, etc).

It's your canvas--enjoy painting.

Thanks for that advice. I may mess around with the crossover settings to see what I like the best. For the record I have Paradigm Studio 100s as mains and Studio 20s as surrounds with a
SVS PB 2 Plus as a sub.

Mirkwood 4.0 Equipment List

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very outdated website.
post #1687 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I don't have any pops with my 80.2 at all in the exact same system...it was something with that particular unit IMHO.

Interesting some previous reports said that changing the unit did not fix issue. Perhaps your unit was a made later with some mod or more attention to internal grounding etc. At any rate glad to see you have no pops in the 80.2. How do you like xt32?
post #1688 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

At any rate glad to see you have no pops in the 80.2. How do you like xt32?

It was worth the cost difference over the 40.2, which I really liked.

David Vaughn

post #1689 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was worth the cost difference over the 40.2, which I really liked.

Look forward to a detailed review
post #1690 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look forward to a detailed review

I won't be doing a review of the 80.2. I bought it myself. Home Theater's editor decided it was better to review the "budget" model since we had reviewed the flagship for 3 straight years.

David Vaughn

post #1691 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I won't be doing a review of the 80.2. I bought it myself. Home Theater's editor decided it was better to review the "budget" model since we had reviewed the flagship for 3 straight years.

Too bad. Well I hope someone does one. What got you to go for the 80.2 after you liked the 40.2 so much?
post #1692 of 3830 Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 PM

Liked: 14
just got my dhc-80.2 and dta 70.1.
I've read the manual but still wondering if it's possible to:

set different video up-conversion settings for different inputs.

for example, I want:
NO up-conversion for my blu-ray player input

1080p/24 for dvr input.

possible?
post #1693 of 3830 Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

just got my dhc-80.2 and dta 70.1.
I've read the manual but still wondering if it's possible to:

set different video up-conversion settings for different inputs.

for example, I want:
NO up-conversion for my blu-ray player input

1080p/24 for dvr input.

possible?

Oh absolutely. that was one of the specific reasons I upgraded from my 9.8 you set the HDMI output resolution to SOURCE(page 51), then within each individual source input you set the rez you want(Picture Adjust, page 62).

so, for my Oppo BDP-95 BD input, I set it for THROUGH so the 80.2 does no video processing of that signal. However, I set my Dish network and Tivo's for 1080p/24 so that they are upconverted.

I love it....
post #1694 of 3830 Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting some previous reports said that changing the unit did not fix issue. Perhaps your unit was a made later with some mod or more attention to internal grounding etc. At any rate glad to see you have no pops in the 80.2. How do you like xt32?

Was just about to post the same thing. Joe brought in two units that both clicked.
post #1695 of 3830 Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga

Was just about to post the same thing. Joe brought in two units that both clicked.
Perhaps Joe needs to try a third time with an 80.2 from Dave's sources
post #1696 of 3830 Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I will see if I can find another to try in my set-up.
post #1697 of 3830 Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Too bad. Well I hope someone does one. What got you to go for the 80.2 after you liked the 40.2 so much?
I wanted the XT32

David Vaughn

post #1698 of 3830 Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted the XT32

Xt32is quite a difference isn't it? I was really looking forward to comparison graphs and waterfalls to get visuals of why i found it significantly better.
post #1699 of 3830 Old 02-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Xt32is quite a difference isn't it? I was really looking forward to comparison graphs and waterfalls to get visuals of why i found it significantly better.

I only have the graphs provided by Audyssey Pro, which do not include waterfalls. They are only of spatially averaged frequency response. And, the "after" is generated by applying the calculated filters to the measured "before" response. It is not measured again after EQ is applied. In any case, what they show corresponds quite nicely to exactly what you would expect.

I used Audyssey Pro on my 80.1 with XT and again with similar, though not identical to a fraction of an inch, mike positions on the 80.2 with XT/32. There is not much difference in the sub channel graphs. That is nearly ruler flat in both cases. Nor is there much difference above about 500 Hz. The critical difference is in the range from about 80 - 500Hz, where XT/32 is on the target curve by something under about +/- 1dB. XT's post-calibration result is more like about +/- 2.5 dB with more noticeable response ripples in that range. This frequency range is somewhat affected by room modes up to the Schroeder frequency, which should be close to that 500 or so Hz range. XT's lower resolution filters were simply unable to iron that out as well as XT/32.

There may be other things going on between the two. But, the main difference seems to be much smaller response deviations in that critical frequency range, such that it now has a smoothness and tightness to the target curve more like the sub channel. This mid/upper bass to low middle frequency range is quite crucial for music and speech fundamentals and low order harmonics. There is a lot going on there in most recordings. So, the resulting sound is to me even more natural and revealing, most noticeably in that range. It sounded great before with XT, but it sounds even somewhat better now - beautiful in fact.
post #1700 of 3830 Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

That makes a lot of sense to me. My Vantages truly sounded better. The xover from the electrostatic panel and the Martin Logan built in sub is at about 300 hz. So where it matters most for the speakers xt32 is helping. Of course room characteristics are critical.

Thanks for this analysis
post #1701 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That makes a lot of sense to me. My Vantages truly sounded better. The xover from the electrostatic panel and the Martin Logan built in sub is at about 300 hz. So where it matters most for the speakers xt32 is helping. Of course room characteristics are critical.

Thanks for this analysis

I have all Martin Logans as well - Prodigies, Clarities, Script i's and a Stage + a JL Fathom f113. I think it is fair to say that even with very revealing speakers like these, we are loving what a "bargain basement", "Jap-crap" prepro like the Integra can do, particularly with XT/32. I have heard the Anthem D2V quite extensively, even in direct a-b comparison. Looking at that and what else is out there in prepros right now, I can honestly say there is nothing else I would rather have at the moment, even cost no object. Between the Integra an an Oppo BDP-83, I take heat for this in certain, snobbish high end circles, but they do not know what they are missing sonically. And, I say that as a dedicated classical music listener who goes to a lot of live concerts. I am sure the Integra can be bettered somewhat at much higher cost via the analog inputs, but I do not listen that way any more.

Just a tip for you. To get the ultimate in refinement, get yourself a Pro kit. An Audyssey dealer ought to be able to sell you one. I think you will find it further improves things, and it is well worth the modest $700 or so investment, including the Pro license for your unit.
post #1702 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Good advice. The issue is how it sounds best to you. But, with XT/32, there is no longer as compelling a reason to raise the x-overs to 60 or 80. Filter resolution is now equal in all channels and they are now all about as smooth as the subwoofer. The sub channel used to have double filter resolution with XT, giving it smoother response than the mains or surrounds at low frequencies. So, it used to be a good idea to send as much as you could within reason to the sub via a higher x-over setting, like 80 Hz.

The key question now is do the main + surrounds have the power response and handling below 80 Hz or so vs. the sub. They may measure lower on test tones, but they may sound better if crossed over higher than Audyssey sets them. I have not found that to be the case yet in my system, but YMMV.

I appreciate the insight on XT/32. I knew it offered increased resolution, but I had no idea what the extent of its capabilities were. I'm going to do A/B comparisons this weekend and see what my favorite scenes sound like with the 40Hz x-over suggested by Audyseey, and then with my normal 80Hz/100Hz settings. I'll be sure to post the results.
post #1703 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

I appreciate the insight on XT/32. I knew it offered increased resolution, but I had no idea what the extent of its capabilities were. I'm going to do A/B comparisons this weekend and see what my favorite scenes sound like with the 40Hz x-over suggested by Audyseey, and then with my normal 80Hz/100Hz settings. I'll be sure to post the results.

Still worth considering when deciding on crossovers is 1) does the sub reproduce the octave from 40Hz to 80Hz better than the main speaker(s), 2) is the sub better placed to reproduce 40Hz - 80Hz with respect to room modes and 3) does the main power amp need its load lessened a bit?

Jeff
post #1704 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a tip for you. To get the ultimate in refinement, get yourself a Pro kit. An Audyssey dealer ought to be able to sell you one. I think you will find it further improves things, and it is well worth the modest $700 or so investment, including the Pro license for your unit.

Thanks for advice on the kit. With a small listening room 13-14-8 does the kit make sense?
post #1705 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:

thanks for advice on the kit. With a small listening room 13-14-8 does the kit make sense?

+1
post #1706 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Thanks for advice on the kit. With a small listening room 13-14-8 does the kit make sense?
Every room has problems that Audyssey can fix, and Audyssey Pro can fix them better than the stock version onboard receivers and pro/pros. My vote would be "yes."

Jeff
post #1707 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think so, but I have no direct experience. My room is 24 x 17 x 13. I did do someone else's room about that size, but did not compare Pro vs. non-Pro. You do not need anything other than the small room rolloff curve for the highs, which you already have in the stock unit. But, you can remove the midrange compensation dip at 2K Hz. If you listen to music at all, that will add some natural air. I recently demo'd that for someone on my unit. We definitely preferred the dip removed on music. It's probably not as noticeable on movies.

Then, there is the effect of the better mike in the kit. It's been awhile since I switched to Pro - pre-XT/32 on my 9.8. But, I noticed an improvement in naturalness and imaging from the get-go. No need to go crazy on the number of mike positions, because a Pro calibration takes at least twice as long. I use 11 or 13 positions for my 3-seat sofa.

You can also save and reload to/from your PC different calibrations with Pro for comparison. Plus, you get the frequency response graphs. I don't think they will let you buy a lot of licenses to go around calibrating a lot of other people's systems with it if you are not an official installer. But, I sold my 80.1 on the premise that I would do a Pro calibration for the buyer. It was a real selling point. I already had the Pro license for it.

The difference is more one of refinement and is nothing like the huge difference in going from zero to stock Audyssey. But, I think I am going to be an Audyssey user for a very long time, whether it's on the 80.2 or something else. So, for me, it was a worthwhile investment. I have used it on a 9.8, 80.1 and 80.2. The same kit works just fine on XT or XT/32. I expect that will continue if there is another new version someday.
post #1708 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

You can also save and reload to/from your PC different calibrations with Pro for comparison. Plus, you get the frequency response graphs. I don't think they will let you buy a lot of licenses to go around calibrating a lot of other people's systems with it if you are not an official installer. But, I sold my 80.1 on the premise that I would do a Pro calibration for the buyer. It was a real selling point. I already had the Pro license for it.
I get the impression that that is not, or is no longer the case. I own a couple of licenses and am allowed to calibrate .. at will.
post #1709 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I get the impression that that is not, or is no longer the case. I own a couple of licenses and am allowed to calibrate .. at will.

That may be the case. One large dealer in my area is listed as an authorized Audyssey dealer/installer. But, they have no one in house who actually still knows how to do a Pro calibration. I think Audyssey's protected dealer network for Pro idea has probably flopped, along with their separate analog input/output equalizer box. So, it may be open season in using the kit on friends' units.

Yes, the licenses are perpetual, but each unit license belongs to an individual user id on their website and can only be activated for 30 days at a time. You must go back through the same user id to reactivate. They are not transferable to a new user.
post #1710 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 PM

just set-up my 80.2 and dta-70.1. stunning improvement. SQ from crap sources like my DVR are hugely improved by the 80.2 decoding.
I think the biggest improvement however, is in pure direct 2-channel listening. This is due mostly (I believe) to bi-amping my fronts with the 70.1. Having separate signal to woofer and mid-range/tweeter opens everything up amazingly. Dynamics, clarity, detail, HUGELY improved.
I can't stop smiling. And I haven't even tried any multichannel sources yet!

(note: relay clicks are a total non-concern. can't believe people have made such a fuss.)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page