post #1711 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

just set-up my 80.2 and dta-70.1. stunning improvement. SQ from crap sources like my DVR are hugely improved by the 80.2 decoding.
I think the biggest improvement however, is in pure direct 2-channel listening. This is due mostly (I believe) to bi-amping my fronts with the 70.1. Having separate signal to woofer and mid-range/tweeter opens everything up amazingly. Dynamics, clarity, detail, HUGELY improved.
I can't stop smiling. And I haven't even tried any multichannel sources yet!

(note: relay clicks are a total non-concern. can't believe people have made such a fuss.)

I concur with that last statement. Honestly--I love hearing the faint "click" from the equipment room in my theater. Makes me feel that my gear is BEASTLY. and i only hear it because i listen for it. lol. Are you using two subs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 3830 Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Random issue I encountered: There was a ridiculously high hum coming from the right-surround channel. Turns out, all i had to do was switch the outlets in the Power Conditioner. If anybody comes across this issue, try switching outlets.
post #1713 of 3830 Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

That may be the case. One large dealer in my area is listed as an authorized Audyssey dealer/installer. But, they have no one in house who actually still knows how to do a Pro calibration. I think Audyssey's protected dealer network for Pro idea has probably flopped, along with their separate analog input/output equalizer box. So, it may be open season in using the kit on friends' units.

Yes, the licenses are perpetual, but each unit license belongs to an individual user id on their website and can only be activated for 30 days at a time. You must go back through the same user id to reactivate. They are not transferable to a new user.

Yes, you would need to administer the license even if the purchaser of your unit purchased his own kit and wanted to use "his" license.
post #1714 of 3830 Old 02-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I concur with that last statement. Honestly--I love hearing the faint "click" from the equipment room in my theater. Makes me feel that my gear is BEASTLY. and i only hear it because i listen for it. lol. Are you using two subs?

No, one sub.

7.1 with heights set-up. Fronts bi-amped. Center bi-wired.

To be fair, my sub is an Arvus Bladder Buster (NZ-made), which is a meter tall and outputs 1400W RMS, frequency response 8-150hz. (probably goes lower in room) It has an 18" driver and 24" passive radiator.

If I had two my head might explode.

Still, I WANT two, I just can't fit another one in my room unless I replace my wife.

Waiting on my oppo bdp-95 and Monitor Audio Gold GX speakers and then I may never leave my theater room ever again.
post #1715 of 3830 Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Liked: 10
hi folks,

some have mentioned that using Audyssey for 2 channel and multi-channel analog inputs into the 80.2 can make for an interesting sound, so I wanted to try it.

for the life of me, I can't get out of DIRECT mode with my analogs. I have Audyssey turned ON for my analog inputs, equalizer is set to AUDYSSEY, I try turning dynamic EQ on and off. still no difference.

I have both 2 ch and mch inputs directed to my AUX input. I use the home key to switch audio between the two.

I flip over to my BD HDMI and Audyssey pops right up, same for my other HDMI inputs.

I have scoured the manual and the setup menus countless times...if anyone has thoughts please let me know. very much appreciated.

thanks

Jeff
post #1716 of 3830 Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post

hi folks,

some have mentioned that using Audyssey for 2 channel and multi-channel analog inputs into the 80.2 can make for an interesting sound, so I wanted to try it.

for the life of me, I can't get out of DIRECT mode with my analogs. I have Audyssey turned ON for my analog inputs, equalizer is set to AUDYSSEY, I try turning dynamic EQ on and off. still no difference.

I have both 2 ch and mch inputs directed to my AUX input. I use the home key to switch audio between the two.

I flip over to my BD HDMI and Audyssey pops right up, same for my other HDMI inputs.

I have scoured the manual and the setup menus countless times...if anyone has thoughts please let me know. very much appreciated.

thanks

Jeff

If you select "Listening Presets" from the menu, keep hitting left or right until you see "Stereo." That should work.
post #1717 of 3830 Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
If you select "Listening Presets" from the menu, keep hitting left or right until you see "Stereo." That should work.
Hi Brolic,

that does not work. I set all the presets for all audio types for my input to STEREO. still no Audyssey.

I flip to any HDMI input source and Audyssey pops right on..

I cannot get any other listening mode to work except for DIRECT with both my XLR stereo and multi-channel analog inputs...

I am wondering if on the 80.2, you can't apply Audyssey processing to analog inputs?

I can't find anywhere in the manual where it specifically states that, though..
post #1718 of 3830 Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Brolic,

that does not work. I set all the presets for all audio types for my input to STEREO. still no Audyssey.

I cannot get any other listening mode to work except for DIRECT with both my XLR stereo and multi-channel analog inputs...

I am wondering if on the 80.2, you can't apply Audyssey processing to analog inputs?

maybe the 80.2 wants to leave the signal analog and not convert it to digital to apply its processing magic.
post #1719 of 3830 Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Hi Brolic,

The 80.2, like it predecessors, will apply Audyssey to the stereo analog inputs (a-d conversion), but not the Mch analog inputs. Audyssey will also be turned off in stereo or Mch in Direct listening mode, or if Audyssey is explicitly turned off in the setup menu in any other listening mode on any input.

I think, possibly, the multiple inputs on one input button are confusing things for you. Again, I would suggest for evaluation purposes to have one input connection mapped to one input button, even if they come from the same device via different interconnects - HDMI, Mch analog, stereo analog, etc. Then you can experiment with each separately. Reconfigure them later after you decide on your optimal setup.
post #1720 of 3830 Old 02-13-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:

The 80.2, like it predecessors, will apply Audyssey to the stereo analog inputs (a-d conversion), but not the Mch analog inputs. Audyssey will also be turned off in stereo or Mch in Direct listening mode, or if Audyssey is explicitly turned off in the setup menu in any other listening mode on any input.

I think, possibly, the multiple inputs on one input button are confusing things for you. Again, I would suggest for evaluation purposes to have one input connection mapped to one input button, even if they come from the same device via different interconnects - HDMI, Mch analog, stereo analog, etc. Then you can experiment with each separately. Reconfigure them later after you decide on your optimal setup.

thanks fitz. you were exactly right. I can't find that info in the manual anywhere. i switched mch over to my BD input, and it indeed operates in direct mode only. I left my XLR input on AUX, and it runs with Audyssey if I select it, with no problem.

appreciate the help.
post #1721 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok so I'm running into a problem with one particular device. The Sonos zoneplayer. For some reason, I'm getting about a half-second delay through the 80.2--and yes, i check out the audio sync settings, but they only allow me to increase the milliseconds. I can't decrease them to the perfect sync (the Sonos system syncs music across my house, so i use the S5 in the kitchen as the reference. I didn't have this issue with my Denon AVR4310, so i doubt it's the Sonos Zoneplayer itself. I started with analog--discovered the sync problem, switched to a different analog input--switched to optical--switched to coaxial, and yet all are making this one source produce audio a few milliseconds slower than it should.

Any thoughts on how I can descrease milliseconds? I am very tech savvy and combed over the menu settings and even (GASP) the Manual (I was shocked too), but could not find a way to decrease millisecond delay.
post #1722 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok so I'm running into a problem with one particular device. The Sonos zoneplayer. For some reason, I'm getting about a half-second delay through the 80.2--and yes, i check out the audio sync settings, but they only allow me to increase the milliseconds. I can't decrease them to the perfect sync (the Sonos system syncs music across my house, so i use the S5 in the kitchen as the reference. I didn't have this issue with my Denon AVR4310, so i doubt it's the Sonos Zoneplayer itself. I started with analog--discovered the sync problem, switched to a different analog input--switched to optical--switched to coaxial, and yet all are making this one source produce audio a few milliseconds slower than it should.

Any thoughts on how I can descrease milliseconds? I am very tech savvy and combed over the menu settings and even (GASP) the Manual (I was shocked too), but could not find a way to decrease millisecond delay.

Just guessing, but perhaps that is the delay of running the signal through DSP. Have you tried Direct?
post #1723 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just guessing, but perhaps that is the delay of running the signal through DSP. Have you tried Direct?

Yeah, i tried that last night with no success. I've tried so many different options and combinations of options, I almost know that blue menu by heart.

I'm picking up the Arcam rDAC for the Sonos tomorrow evening from a local dealer--but I don't want to spend $500 on a DAC, if I can't even use the Sonos in my primary system due to the delay. Hopefully I come across a solution soon.
post #1724 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, i tried that last night with no success. I've tried so many different options and combinations of options, I almost know that blue menu by heart.

I'm picking up the Arcam rDAC for the Sonos tomorrow evening from a local dealer--but I don't want to spend $500 on a DAC, if I can't even use the Sonos in my primary system due to the delay. Hopefully I come across a solution soon.

I am curious about the delay. Is that relative to simultaneous playback in other rooms? Otherwise, I do not see how it could be a factor in just your main listening room, if there is nothing to compare it to.
post #1725 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am curious about the delay. Is that relative to simultaneous playback in other rooms? Otherwise, I do not see how it could be a factor in just your main listening room, if there is nothing to compare it to.

Absolutely. That's the root of the problem--the delay is about half a second behind the Sonos modules in the other rooms in the house. The primary room is on the first floor, which links directly to the kitchen on one end, and a set of stairs on the other end. Generally, I keep all zones synched and, when music is playing, it's the same no matter where I go; however, because the primary room is sandwiched between the other two zones, the sound from the in-ceiling speakers above the stairwell and the sound from the kitchen Sonos-S5 are in sync and make the delay in the main room extremely obvious. It sounds like a horrible echo is being created. For critical listening, I use the Oppo Blu Ray player, but for casual enjoyment, the Sonos in the Primary room is heavily used in conjunction with the other zones throughout the house. I'd hate to have to go buy an S5 for that room when there's a perfectly capable and far superior audiophile-grade system in place already.
post #1726 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Absolutely. That's the root of the problem--the delay is about half a second behind the Sonos modules in the other rooms in the house. The primary room is on the first floor, which links directly to the kitchen on one end, and a set of stairs on the other end. Generally, I keep all zones synched and, when music is playing, it's the same no matter where I go; however, because the primary room is sandwiched between the other two zones, the sound from the in-ceiling speakers above the stairwell and the sound from the kitchen Sonos-S5 are in sync and make the delay in the main room extremely obvious. It sounds like a horrible echo is being created. For critical listening, I use the Oppo Blu Ray player, but for casual enjoyment, the Sonos in the Primary room is heavily used in conjunction with the other zones throughout the house. I'd hate to have to go buy an S5 for that room when there's a perfectly capable and far superior audiophile-grade system in place already.

I have a Sonos ZP80 hooked up to my 80.2 currently (via coaxial, to play FLAC tracks) but it's in a separate basement media room that I would have no reason to sync to my other zones in the house. However, I can bring down my S5 from another room and see if I get the same issue, playing both simultaneously. I'll report back.
post #1727 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLawren View Post

I have a Sonos ZP80 hooked up to my 80.2 currently (via coaxial, to play FLAC tracks) but it's in a separate basement media room that I would have no reason to sync to my other zones in the house. However, I can bring down my S5 from another room and see if I get the same issue, playing both simultaneously. I'll report back.

That would be MUCH appreciated SPLawren. Thanks.
post #1728 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I was just on the Audyssey website comparing the features of the Integra DHC 80.2 with other processors from different manufacturers. I felt sure there had been discussion on this thread that the DHC 80.2 included Audyssey Sub EQ HT (discrete calibration for two subs with pinging as one).

Yet, it caught my eye that Sub EQ HT was not listed for the 80.2 . Am I mistaken about this feature being included in the 80.2 or is the Audyssey web page mistaken by omitting it?

This led me to related questions: Might it be that MultEQ XT32, which is clearly listed for the 80.2, included within it the Sub EQ HT technology? Could that be why the latter was not listed separately? (In any case, there ARE other processors on the Audyssey site that list BOTH features.)

I have multiple subs and this feature is important to me. Can anyone nail this down one way or the other?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #1729 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post
I was just on the Audyssey website comparing the features of the Integra DHC 80.2 with other processors from different manufacturers. I felt sure there had been discussion on this thread that the DHC 80.2 included Audyssey Sub EQ HT (discrete calibration for two subs with pinging as one).

Yet, it caught my eye that Sub EQ HT was not listed for the 80.2 . Am I mistaken about this feature being included in the 80.2 or is the Audyssey web page mistaken by omitting it?

This led me to related questions: Might it be that MultEQ XT32, which is clearly listed for the 80.2, included within it the Sub EQ HT technology? Could that be why the latter was not listed separately? (In any case, there ARE other processors on the Audyssey site that list BOTH features.)

I have multiple subs and this feature is important to me. Can anyone nail this down one way or the other?
News release announcing Sub EQ HT in all MultEQ XT 32 boxes. Don't know why their site doesn't list it for the DHC-80.2, but it also has it - and all pre/pros - listed as a Receiver. I've suggested that they open that part of their website wiki-like for all of us to update, but the suggestion has fallen on ...
post #1730 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

That would be MUCH appreciated SPLawren. Thanks.

Well, I got the same results - about a 0.5 second delay on the 80.2 setup with the Sonos ZP80 versus the standalone Sonos S5. For reference, I'm running FLAC tracks on the Sonos ZP80 to the 80.2's TV/CD input via coaxial, and the 80.2 is going to a Parasound 5250 and out to Monotor Audio GS60s, GSLCR and 2x GSFXs. I tried Audyssey on and off, Direct on/off, other modes on/off and A/V sync on/off. The results seemed to be the same 0.5 second delay, though it could have had minor differences. Bummer - even though my setup doesn't require any syncing between my media room and anywhere else.

The 80.2 replaced a Denon 3805 that I used with the same ZP80 and two other zones on ZP100s, and I recall them all syncing just fine.

My best guess is thus that the delay is attributable to the 80.2, though I don't know why - settings? design? processing (how, with Direct mode?)?
post #1731 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Can you change the delay settings to good effect?
post #1732 of 3830 Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLawren View Post

Well, I got the same results - about a 0.5 second delay on the 80.2 setup with the Sonos ZP80 versus the standalone Sonos S5. For reference, I'm running FLAC tracks on the Sonos ZP80 to the 80.2's TV/CD input via coaxial, and the 80.2 is going to a Parasound 5250 and out to Monotor Audio GS60s, GSLCR and 2x GSFXs. I tried Audyssey on and off, Direct on/off, other modes on/off and A/V sync on/off. The results seemed to be the same 0.5 second delay, though it could have had minor differences. Bummer - even though my setup doesn't require any syncing between my media room and anywhere else.

The 80.2 replaced a Denon 3805 that I used with the same ZP80 and two other zones on ZP100s, and I recall them all syncing just fine.

My best guess is thus that the delay is attributable to the 80.2, though I don't know why - settings? design? processing (how, with Direct mode?)?

ahh, so it's not just me. I appreciate you checking this out--I was starting to think something was wrong with the way my unit processed non-HDMI sources (the sonos is the only device not connected via HDMI)

My 80.2 replaced a Denon 4310. which synced perfectly with the Sonos. i don't know what's wrong--you would think Direct was actually....Direct. lol
post #1733 of 3830 Old 02-15-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

News release announcing Sub EQ HT in all MultEQ XT 32 boxes. Don't know why their site doesn't list it for the DHC-80.2, but it also has it - and all pre/pros - listed as a Receiver. I've suggested that they open that part of their website wiki-like for all of us to update, but the suggestion has fallen on ...

Thanks for the good info, Jeff...that's what I was hoping to hear.

Tom

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #1734 of 3830 Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My 80.2 replaced a Denon 4310.

Is there a dramatic difference in sound quality with the 80.2? I have a Denon 5805 that is showing its age...
post #1735 of 3830 Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post

Is there a dramatic difference in sound quality with the 80.2? I have a Denon 5805 that is showing its age...

Yes, there is a an absolute change in sound quality. audio from every source got more detailed. For instancel, there is a track called "Stars" but Alison Krauss and Union Station. The first 30 seconds of this song are audiophile heaven. With the 80.2, the gutars had way more texture than they did with my denon. Notice, i didn't say "more"...i said "way more." Yes, the difference definitely there!
post #1736 of 3830 Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, there is a an absolute change in sound quality. audio from every source got more detailed. For instancel, there is a track called "Stars" but Alison Krauss and Union Station. The first 30 seconds of this song are audiophile heaven. With the 80.2, the gutars had way more texture than they did with my denon. Notice, i didn't say "more"...i said "way more." Yes, the difference definitely there!

Rats, you are making it hard to resist. What is your take on the relay noise vs. the quiet Denon? If I do this, the pre/pro will be about 6 feet from the main recliner...
post #1737 of 3830 Old 02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rats, you are making it hard to resist. What is your take on the relay noise vs. the quiet Denon? If I do this, the pre/pro will be about 6 feet from the main recliner...

If you do not have satellite TV, like Direct TV, the clicks are no big deal. Direct TV seems to induce them more on commercials, etc. My Comcast cable induces none, though I always change channels via the program guide with no clicks whatsoever. I can watch TV for days without a single click. The remaining clicks, like at the start of a disc when listening modes are changed, are really insignificant.

As to the rest of SQ, XT/32 is really something and a big improvement over plain XT. The 80.2 is really a significant step up over even the 80.1, which was a smaller step over the 9.8/9.9. So, I think you may well enjoy the upgrade.
post #1738 of 3830 Old 02-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you do not have satellite TV, like Direct TV, the clicks are no big deal. Direct TV seems to induce them more on commercials, etc.

Thanks for the info. I have 3 Direct TV HR2xs in the HT so the relay noise may be a little much if it occurs that frequently. The HRs must drop the digital audio and the Integra mutes via the relays...
post #1739 of 3830 Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I honestly think it's just the nature of the beast. The Denon 4310 I had before also had relay clicks, so they aren't anything new to me at all. The Denon even clicked when I hit the "Mute" button. I think that's how these newer (2009 and up) devices operate. They aren't that noticeable, in my opinion.
post #1740 of 3830 Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 PM

I write this in Swenglish

There is some setting that is missing if I do compare to other Receivers and Processors ..

Have sent my questions to Integra

Audyssey

The ability to turn Audyssey on / off is not having any button on the remote.

You can not choose Audyssey on / off for each source and that it remains in the memory

Audyssey is probably in the wrong menu and should be in the source menu, so you do not have to go into the menu every time you switch input and want audyssey on or off

No sub for digital source and direct mode

There is no option to use the sub in direct mode when playing digital source

But you can use the sub when playing analog source and it is setting in the menu makes it even stranger

If anything should be direct and pure direct, then it should be analog.

.A digital source can hardly be counted as direct more than that it is passing tone controll

Hope you fix this, since most sources are digital, and when the processor has a very good
D / A conversion

This must be a misstake for those who invested in two expensive fine subs and / or those who have small speakers and sub.

Analog input

Is all analog input equal ?

Many amplifiers I've had, has had a dedicated input for CD

What makes me wonder is that Tv/Cd is in addition with Phono and that you just mentioning Tv/Cd in the manual as a choice for Turntable with stand alone Riia

Crossover sub

when selecting small front Then the subwoofer gets all below XX Hz.
But if I choose the front as Full Register and double bass ON I can not choose what subwoofer should get and not get. I want select for example 80Hz in this position ( not only LFE )

Monitor selection

Is there any button on the remote control that is used to select the monitor?
I do not think so .. Why not ?
############################################################ #

Is there anyone who is using Audyssey Pro ?
Who can tell me if you got moore settings and different setting for Audyssey in the meny with Audyssey Pro ?

Maveric
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page