Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

emotiva RCA's? from what I recall the upa-7 only has RCA (no XLR) connections correct?

Yep. Jumping into separates so I decided to spend more on the 80.2 and go with a cheaper amp for now. So no XLRs for now...

Also looking for advice on wiring the speakers. My fronts are Def Tech BP 2000s that can be tri-wired (High/Mid/Low) plus a RCA input for the LFE. My townhouse layout means that I can't jump to 7.2, so I have two extra channels on the UPA-7 to work with. Was planning to run sub-out lines from the 80.2 to each LFE input for the Audyssey to work its magic and then amp the High and Mid speaker inputs independently. Sound like the best option for this combo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMIE View Post

I just called a store to see if they have any 80.2's and they said they were 5 weeks out on back order. Nice.

I think they are possibly yanking your chain...there is no b/o on these units !
post #1923 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1 View Post

Maybe I'll call customer service and see what they have to say.

Good luck with that...
post #1924 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

I have totally bypassed the 80.2. Too many quirks to keep track of and no discernible benefit for me except the OSD. Just put a Lumagen Radiance XS3D back into the system after many years without and am running everything through that, then using the dual HDMI outputs - one to the Integra, one to the projector.

I have a Radiance ready to be installed as well. I just haven't had time.

As for the firmware, it's supposedly coming from JVC and not Onkyo/Integra.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #1925 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
KB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

Good luck with that...

Haha yeah I heard...well, if I hear anything of value, I'll post back...
post #1926 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherman007 View Post

Yep. Jumping into separates so I decided to spend more on the 80.2 and go with a cheaper amp for now. So no XLRs for now...

Also looking for advice on wiring the speakers. My fronts are Def Tech BP 2000s that can be tri-wired (High/Mid/Low) plus a RCA input for the LFE. My townhouse layout means that I can't jump to 7.2, so I have two extra channels on the UPA-7 to work with. Was planning to run sub-out lines from the 80.2 to each LFE input for the Audyssey to work its magic and then amp the High and Mid speaker inputs independently. Sound like the best option for this combo?

I have a similar system. I got better results NOT using the lfe inputs on the dt towers but your experience may be different. Do you have a stand alone sub or do you only use the subs in the towers?

post #1927 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I have a similar system. I got better results NOT using the lfe inputs on the dt towers but your experience may be different. Do you have a stand alone sub or do you only use the subs in the towers?

Currently just the built-in subs in the towers. But the room is pre-wired for a sub in the rear of the room and I'm not averse to adding a standalone if it helps balance things out.

My history with the LFE inputs is the same as yours - I'm not using them now with my old receiver. Guess I'll plan to do lots of experimenting. Not necessarily a bad thing...
post #1928 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 02:16 PM

I am listening to Pandora radio and I am getting relay clicks in and out of every song. What can be done to mitigate this?

thx for any help you can provide.
post #1929 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Question for all:

I have my 80.2 set up with a Parasound 5 channel Halo amp for my Movies.

I have another 2-channel Parasound amp that I'd like to use with stereo analog inputs only like phono, etc.

My question is how is the best way to do this? Zone 2? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Many thanks. PM
post #1930 of 3830 Old 03-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasound Man View Post

Question for all:

I have my 80.2 set up with a Parasound 5 channel Halo amp for my Movies.

I have another 2-channel Parasound amp that I'd like to use with stereo analog inputs only like phono, etc.

My question is how is the best way to do this? Zone 2? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Many thanks. PM

Zone 2 makes perfect sense as a way of avoiding having to reconnect. But, if that stereo amp is better in your view, why not just use it for the main channels all the time. Just use the 5-channel Halo on 3-channels until you decide to add additional channels.

I am a fan of Parasound Halos. I use 2 A23's for my side/rear surround channels in 7.1.
post #1931 of 3830 Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
sooo.. is this just a fail receiver or what? Its what my father wound up getting for his new HT setup but it doesnt' seem to work with his JVC RS50. Cable seems to work ok, as does the Xbox. But the PS3 and the LG blu ray player do not work through it. The BR player works intermittently but the PS3 wont really work at all. Sometimes you get audio but pretty much never get a picture

Supposedly I hear theres some issue with JVC and Integra receivers. What is the issue? Is there any fix coming VERY soon or is this receiver just junk right now? The guys installing the system sent the first one back because it had some other buggy issues (it seemed to randomly trigger the screen drop down, ect) but the new one still wont play nice with the projector. He needs to get this finalized now and if this is not going to work i need suggestions on another receiver to get ASAP. The problem was there wasn't anything really comparable. The best Denon is like 4 years old

its worth mentioning that plugging the ps3 or BD player directly to the JVC works fine. So its definitely the reciever. Here is the stuff hes got

-RS50 JVC projector
-VE120HFHG3W Firehawk Stewart 120" screen
-Going to be the new Panny plasmas in a few months.. was gonna be a TCP65VT25 Panasonic 65" plasma but skipped it because of issues it had
-2 Viena CG Vienna Beethoven concert grand tower speakers
-Maestero grand center speaker
-4X waltz Grand surround speakers
-2X Velodyne SPL-1200R
-Integra DTR-80.2
-C4-8AMP1-B control4 4 zone amp

hes also running these speakers for music:
-2X Sonance v832dr speakers in living room
-2X Sonance v833ssdr speakers in the kitchen
-2x Rockustics EurEave-4 6.2 speakers outside

Theres a lot of other things, A HT computer, Xbox, and other things but those are the main components

Can anyone clarify what hte issue is with JVC projectors? Also if this receiver is just not going to work what else can you guys suggest? He really wants to stick with this but if its not going to work with his JVC rs50 then its going back and he'll have to go for something else. He cant seem to get a straight answer. Some people are telling him theres an issue between the two, then others are telling him there should be no issue. Im not sure what he should do.

The latest thing my father heard today when he called integra was that supposedly there is a software update for the JVC coming out in a few weeks.. i dont know if thats true or not. Is there a number for Integra to get some real info from people who know whats going on? Because he needs this crap done and the run around isn't going to cut it. Its already been delayed quite a bit, and if he needs a different receiver its best to start looking now.

*EDIT*
just spoke with my father and evidently the newer reciever actually DID get a picture with the PS3 at first. then they changed the input and it freaked out again. It would keep clicking over like it was trying to connect and just wouldn't most of the time. Sometimes it would sometimes it wouln't. The times it did though took > 3 minutes
post #1932 of 3830 Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Your father heard correctly. There is apparently a firmware fix coming from JVC.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20061272

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20106287
In another link, a user said that Integra had recreated the problem.

As for comparable options? Not a lot similarly priced. The Marantz 7004 lacks MultiEQ-XT32. People are using the Denon 4311 receiver as a pre - which has a similar complement of features, but is a receiver and lacks balanced outputs - which may or may not be important. Of course, if he wants to go up in price, it brings in a lot more options (eg Anthem)
post #1933 of 3830 Old 03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post

Can anyone clarify what hte issue is with JVC projectors? Also if this receiver is just not going to work what else can you guys suggest? He really wants to stick with this but if its not going to work with his JVC rs50 then its going back and he'll have to go for something else. He cant seem to get a straight answer. Some people are telling him theres an issue between the two, then others are telling him there should be no issue. Im not sure what he should do.

The latest thing my father heard today when he called integra was that supposedly there is a software update for the JVC coming out in a few weeks.. i dont know if thats true or not. Is there a number for Integra to get some real info from people who know whats going on? Because he needs this crap done and the run around isn't going to cut it. Its already been delayed quite a bit, and if he needs a different receiver its best to start looking now.

Hi,

There is an issue and as Mark states a firmware update is supposed to be in the works.

In the interim the work around is to totally disable video processing in the Integra. Apparently even in the video "Through" setting the video processing is not completely bypassed and a special procedure is required to turn off video processing.

Here is the interim work around (The Onkyo PR-SC5508 is virtually identical to the Integra DHC-80.2):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I FIXED MY ISSUE WITH MY 5508....

I hope this works for any of you, when then 5508 is on press and hold vcr/dvr and return at the same time, it will say video processing use, let go of return and press return again and it will say skip. Just toggle until it says skip and everything worked as it should, this is at least a work around until we hear from JVC or Onkyo!!!!

Larry
post #1934 of 3830 Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'm traveling right now so I haven't had a chance to update my JVC projector with the new firmware that was posted on their site today. (professional site)

Update your father's projector and that should fix the issue according to my contact at Onkyo. For some reason, there is an HDMI issue between the two products that JVC supposedly fixed with the latest update. I won't be home until Saturday to test, so I'm going on information provided to me.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #1935 of 3830 Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 PM

There has been new JVC firmware posted for HDMI compatibility issues for the RS40,50&60 but not for the RS25&35.

Here is what I am seeing with my RS35 and PR-SC5508:
With HDMI and Component inputs at 1080i60 and video processing on the pre/pro outputs with Deep Color on at 10 bit with the JVC. With video processing off (vcr/dvr and return procedure) the JVC is reporting Deep Color 8 bit for the HDMI input and 10 bit for the component. The pre/pro is set to Through for both the HDMI output and Source.
With 1082p/24 output from my Oppo BDP-83, which is set to Source Direct and Deep Color Off, running through the pre/pro the JVC is reporting Deep Color Off (grayed out) both with the pre/pro's video processing On or Off.
When my Lumagen RadianceMini is inserted between the pre/pro and the projector everything is working as it should and the JVC is reporting Deep Color Off (grayed out) for all of the above.

So:
1 - there is clearly an HDMI issue between the JVC RS35 and the pre/pro
and
2 - the undocumented by Onkyo/Integra video processing off (vcr/dvr and return) procedure is only affecting the HDMI inputs and even then the JVC is still reporting a Deep Color setting instead of the normal grayed out.
post #1936 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post

2 - the undocumented by Onkyo/Integra video processing off (vcr/dvr and return) procedure is only affecting the HDMI inputs and even then the JVC is still reporting a Deep Color setting instead of the normal grayed out.
Why is this being referred to as undocumented when it is in the manual?
post #1937 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Why is this being referred to as undocumented when it is in the manual?
Where?
post #1938 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Where?
Page 23 Video Connection Formats

It is in bold.

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...195a59412e5b28

It's only undocumented for people who don't read the ... documentation.
post #1939 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question on Dynamic EQ on the 80.2. When I scroll through different "Movie" modes (and music modes), sometimes the Dynamic EQ indicator will light up on the front display, and sometimes it doesn't (say on the THX Ultra 2 Cinema mode). However, Dynamic EQ is set to "On" in the set-up menu.

So, is Dynamic EQ "on" even if it isn't lit up on the display on the unit? Confused. Oh yeah, and the Audyssey light is on and in use - it's just sometimes "Dynamic EQ" is listed/lit, and sometimes it's not based on the surround mode.

Thanks
post #1940 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Question on Dynamic EQ on the 80.2. When I scroll through different "Movie" modes (and music modes), sometimes the Dynamic EQ indicator will light up on the front display, and sometimes it doesn't (say on the THX Ultra 2 Cinema mode). However, Dynamic EQ is set to "On" in the set-up menu.

So, is Dynamic EQ "on" even if it isn't lit up on the display on the unit? Confused. Oh yeah, and the Audyssey light is on and in use - it's just sometimes "Dynamic EQ" is listed/lit, and sometimes it's not based on the surround mode.

Thanks

Hi,

Check if your "Preserve THX Settings" is set to On, and whether "THX Loudness Plus" is set to Yes.

If Loudness Plus is set to On, then Preserve THX Settings will fixed to Yes. If Preserve THX Setting is set to Yes, then Audyssey Dynamic EQ® /
Audyssey Dynamic Volume® / Dolby Volume will not be active in THX listening mode.

Refer to page 57 of the manual.

Larry
post #1941 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM

I was under the impression that Onkyo/Integra is coming out with a firmware update.... since turning off the Integra 80.2's Video Processing (VCR/Return) solves the issue.

I will try the JVC RS50 firmware update next week and report back.
post #1942 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Page 23 Video Connection Formats

It is in bold.

Thanks. I first heard about this here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19884015
where it was presented as some big discovery. You were around then why did you wait for me to step in it to come up with the RTFM post?
Anyways your 1 for 2 with me:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20069667

In any event, based on my testing, I think the manual is wrong because in Skip mode it is still unconverting the component signal to HDMI.
post #1943 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Thanks. I first heard about this here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19884015
where it was presented as some big discovery. You were around then why did you wait for me to step in it to come up with the RTFM post?

I don't own this unit .. and was comparing the manual page for page with the 5508 manual a day ago when I saw it. Yours was The first post that came along after I read it, so that was where I replied.
post #1944 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

Check if your "Preserve THX Settings" is set to On, and whether "THX Loudness Plus" is set to Yes.

If Loudness Plus is set to On, then Preserve THX Settings will fixed to Yes. If Preserve THX Setting is set to Yes, then Audyssey Dynamic EQ® /
Audyssey Dynamic Volume® / Dolby Volume will not be active in THX listening mode.

Refer to page 57 of the manual.

Larry

Got it. Makes sense. Thank you!

So what is the consensus on this - i.e. does it make more sense to have Dynamic EQ engaged than to "Preserve THX Settings"?
post #1945 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
.. and was comparing the manual page for page with the 5508 manual
Comparing to the 80.2 manual? Did you see any differences other than the ones we were already aware of (Pure Audio, appearance, warranty)?
post #1946 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
I just got a email from Audyssey saying that the Installer Kit now goes for 400. I paid over 550 last year.
post #1947 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Comparing to the 80.2 manual? Did you see any differences other than the ones we were already aware of (Pure Audio, appearance, warranty)?

It was so boringly the same that I lost interest.

Jeff
post #1948 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Getting close to buying one. A few questions for those that have lived with the unit, searched the thread but wanted a general consensus:

1) Relay clicking. It is it limited to only certain hardware pieces (i.e. I see cable/sat boxes and JVC projectors mentioned most)? With other hardware, how much different is it than the DTC-9.8 which also has (less?) relay clicking.

2) Audyssey - can it set on/off per input? i.e. can I have audyssey on Blu-ray input but not on CD input?

3) Subwoofer outs - can I independently set sub out per input. i.e. could I choose to have Blu-ray output to both sub1 & sub2, but CD only output to sub1?

4) How slick is the interface for streaming wma/mp3 files? album graphics?

5) Has there been any updates on the DTS 24/96 bug that someone mentioned in this thread, not decoding properly w/ audyssey engaged?

6) Are there any known new hardware revisions?

7) Any way to permanently disable DRC for TrueHD?

8) Main devices will be using with will be Panasonic DMP-BDT210, Mitsubishi 3DA-1 + WD-73C9, XBOX 360, scientific atlanta 4200HD cablevision box.

9) Any improvement in stereo digital sources from the DTC-9.8? The DTC-9.8 just sounded a bit weak in plain stereo imaging IMO.

10) Any improvement in HDMI handshake times from DTC-9.8? They were a bit slow on that unit.

11) Anything else I should know before I pull the trigger? I know Onkyo support is a joke but that is pretty much the case for all CE support.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #1949 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Got it. Makes sense. Thank you!

So what is the consensus on this - i.e. does it make more sense to have Dynamic EQ engaged than to "Preserve THX Settings"?

Hi,

You're welcome.

I have the Onkyo PR-SC886 it has the same features regarding the option between Dynamic EQ and THX Loudness Plus. To be honest I haven't done any comparisons with THX Loudness Plus, but I have developed confidence in Audyssey technologies, particularly MultEQ and Dynamic EQ. Perhaps I just believe their marketing, but here's some technical information about Dynamic EQ:

Audyssey Dynamic EQ

And here's their take on competing products.

Quote:

How is Dynamic EQ different from other loudness methods?
Other loudness correction methods have been proposed, but Audyssey Dynamic EQ is the first to address all of the five major problems required for proper loudness correction.

Other methods fall short for the following reasons:
  • They have no method of room measurement. Other loudness controls do not have a method for measuring the actual playback volume in the room your system is set up in. Audyssey MultEQ first measures playback levels, then provides this information to Dynamic EQ for proper loudness correction.
  • They have no method of room equalization. Variations in the response of a room can be as large as 10 dB or more at some frequencies. Without proper equalization, the effectiveness of loudness correction will vary immensely from seat to seat.
  • They have no real-time analysis of audio content. Film and music pieces are typically made at reference volumes much louder than typical listening volumes. At reference level, loud sounds can be near 100 dB SPL, while soft sounds can be much softer, near 50 dB SPL. If a consumer listens at softer levels such as 20 dB down, loud sounds will need less loudness correction than softer sounds. This must be analyzed continuously to ensure the correct octave-to-octave balance is sustained as the content is playing.
    Resources

Larry
post #1950 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Getting close to buying one. A few questions for those that have lived with the unit, searched the thread but wanted a general consensus:

1) Relay clicking. It is it limited to only certain hardware pieces (i.e. I see cable/sat boxes and JVC projectors mentioned most)? With other hardware, how much different is it than the DTC-9.8 which also has (less?) relay clicking.

2) Audyssey - can it set on/off per input? i.e. can I have audyssey on Blu-ray input but not on CD input?

3) Subwoofer outs - can I independently set sub out per input. i.e. could I choose to have Blu-ray output to both sub1 & sub2, but CD only output to sub1?

4) How slick is the interface for streaming wma/mp3 files? album graphics?

5) Has there been any updates on the DTS 24/96 bug that someone mentioned in this thread, not decoding properly w/ audyssey engaged?

6) Are there any known new hardware revisions?

7) Any way to permanently disable DRC for TrueHD?

8) Main devices will be using with will be Panasonic DMP-BDT210, Mitsubishi 3DA-1 + WD-73C9, XBOX 360, scientific atlanta 4200HD cablevision box.

9) Any improvement in stereo digital sources from the DTC-9.8? The DTC-9.8 just sounded a bit weak in plain stereo imaging IMO.

10) Any improvement in HDMI handshake times from DTC-9.8? They were a bit slow on that unit.

11) Anything else I should know before I pull the trigger? I know Onkyo support is a joke but that is pretty much the case for all CE support.

1. No, its not about hardware. It's about inputs which drop signal momentarily, like Direct TV before/after commercials. That's about the worst clicking I think pepole have complained about here. Watching videos or music listening does not appear to be a problem, except maybe for a single click at the start.

2. No. But you can turn it on/off from the remote with a few clicks.

3. No.

4. I don't know. Can someone else jump in here.

5. I regularly watch DTS HDMA 96/24 with no problems. I do not know what you are describing. Audyssey handles up to 192K/24 in this unit.

6. I do not think you will ever see hardware revisions on this unit. There were none on the 9.8,9.9, or 80.1 either.

7. No clue what you are talking about.

8. I have no clue as to compatibility, but I seriously doubt there will be problems.

9. I had a 9.8, but I no longer listen in stereo. FWIW, friends tell me the 80.1/80.2 is improved via the analog inputs over the 9.8, but I do not listen to those, either. I only use HDMI, and in general, the 80.2 is a considerable improvement over the 9.8, which I thought was great. This is greater.

10. I never put a stopwatch to it. It may depend on your other gear. I may be used to it, but it never bothers me.

11. Yes, Audyssey XT 32 is a huge improvement. It is OUTSTANDING!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page