Originally Posted by Ruined
Getting close to buying one. A few questions for those that have lived with the unit, searched the thread but wanted a general consensus:
1) Relay clicking. It is it limited to only certain hardware pieces (i.e. I see cable/sat boxes and JVC projectors mentioned most)? With other hardware, how much different is it than the DTC-9.8 which also has (less?) relay clicking.
2) Audyssey - can it set on/off per input? i.e. can I have audyssey on Blu-ray input but not on CD input?
3) Subwoofer outs - can I independently set sub out per input. i.e. could I choose to have Blu-ray output to both sub1 & sub2, but CD only output to sub1?
4) How slick is the interface for streaming wma/mp3 files? album graphics?
5) Has there been any updates on the DTS 24/96 bug that someone mentioned in this thread, not decoding properly w/ audyssey engaged?
6) Are there any known new hardware revisions?
7) Any way to permanently disable DRC for TrueHD?
8) Main devices will be using with will be Panasonic DMP-BDT210, Mitsubishi 3DA-1 + WD-73C9, XBOX 360, scientific atlanta 4200HD cablevision box.
9) Any improvement in stereo digital sources from the DTC-9.8? The DTC-9.8 just sounded a bit weak in plain stereo imaging IMO.
10) Any improvement in HDMI handshake times from DTC-9.8? They were a bit slow on that unit.
11) Anything else I should know before I pull the trigger? I know Onkyo support is a joke but that is pretty much the case for all CE support.
1. No, its not about hardware. It's about inputs which drop signal momentarily, like Direct TV before/after commercials. That's about the worst clicking I think pepole have complained about here. Watching videos or music listening does not appear to be a problem, except maybe for a single click at the start.
2. No. But you can turn it on/off from the remote with a few clicks.
4. I don't know. Can someone else jump in here.
5. I regularly watch DTS HDMA 96/24 with no problems. I do not know what you are describing. Audyssey handles up to 192K/24 in this unit.
6. I do not think you will ever see hardware revisions on this unit. There were none on the 9.8,9.9, or 80.1 either.
7. No clue what you are talking about.
8. I have no clue as to compatibility, but I seriously doubt there will be problems.
9. I had a 9.8, but I no longer listen in stereo. FWIW, friends tell me the 80.1/80.2 is improved via the analog inputs over the 9.8, but I do not listen to those, either. I only use HDMI, and in general, the 80.2 is a considerable improvement over the 9.8, which I thought was great. This is greater.
10. I never put a stopwatch to it. It may depend on your other gear. I may be used to it, but it never bothers me.
11. Yes, Audyssey XT 32 is a huge improvement. It is OUTSTANDING!!