The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What mode do you listen to two channel music if not stereo? Listening to some Indian ragas right now via my squeezetouch and stereo seems best .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
If not stereo, stereo.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1953 of 3830 Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

1) Relay clicking. It is it limited to only certain hardware pieces (i.e. I see cable/sat boxes and JVC projectors mentioned most)? With other hardware, how much different is it than the DTC-9.8 which also has (less?) relay clicking.

2) Audyssey - can it set on/off per input? i.e. can I have audyssey on Blu-ray input but not on CD input?

1) Coming from an Onkyo PR-SC886 there are more and they are louder but they really are not that intrusive.
2) Yes
post #1954 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

5. I regularly watch DTS HDMA 96/24 with no problems. I do not know what you are describing. Audyssey handles up to 192K/24 in this unit.

The problem is with plain old DTS 96/24, not with DTS-HD Master Audio. It is used mostly, that I know of, on SD-DVD Music Releases and as an option on some DVD-Audio Discs. As an Example, Peter Gabriel - Play: The Videos is a great DTS 96/24 track.

I discovered a DTS 96/24 bug & originally reported it in Post #484. I have been emailing with a Product Support Rep at Onkyo/Integra since setting up my DHC-80.2 in October, 2010. Other than we are working on it with engineering, I have heard nothing. As of late, he has stopped responding all together. DTS 96/24 does not work properly with or without Audyssey engaged.

Phil C.
"Where does he get all those wonderful toys"
Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman
post #1955 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

What mode do you listen to two channel music if not stereo? Listening to some Indian ragas right now via my squeezetouch and stereo seems best .

The answer is that for the past 3 years since discovering Mch classical music I simply do not listen to stereo recordings any more, only Mch ones. It helps that I am a classical music afficianado, where Mch music is reasonably available. Unlike stereo, Mch provides a way, way better replica of the live concert hall experience than stereo ever can, to my ears. I have heard a fair number of very pricey, highly praised stereo systems costing hundreds of $thousands. A good friend is a prominent equipment reviewer, and I have heard some of the outrageously priced stereo stuff he has gone ballistically over the top about. Frankly, I would not swap what I have for any of them. Some high enders roll their eyes about my 80.2/Oppo BDP-83 front end, but it is me who has the last laugh. A few of them have become convinced of that upon hearing my system.

Purist that I am, if I were to listen to stereo sources, it would be in plain stereo. But, a good classical music friend who bought my 80.1 is very pleased with some of the surround modes on his large library of stereo recordings on his hard drive.
post #1956 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 10:11 AM
KB1

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post

2 - the undocumented by Onkyo/Integra video processing off (vcr/dvr and return) procedure is only affecting the HDMI inputs and even then the JVC is still reporting a Deep Color setting instead of the normal grayed out.

See my post #1905. The 80.2 seems to be converting any video signal (at least using the HDMI output and with the video processor on) to 10-bit Deep Color. It is easy to see the input and output bit/channel by pressing Home and checking the Info section. I have an RS25 and I did similar testing but with the 80.2 video processor on only. The JVC Deep Color indicator showed 8 bit per channel when connected directly to my Oppo but 10 bit per channel when connected through the 80.2. In both cases the Oppo's deep color mode was set to Off.
post #1957 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Well, so much for buying an 80.2. It looks like DTS has their new NEO:X sound format which will be integrated into the 2011 Onkyo/Integra lines... I might as well wait 6mos and get the next revision for that. I can never get more than 15% discount on Integra stuff anyway...

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #1958 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Ruined
there is always going to be something new coming out. Wait 6 months, buy NEX:X, then 6months later, a new audio format will be out. Enjoy the time now, or you'll always be waiting for the next generation!
post #1959 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1 View Post

See my post #1905. The 80.2 seems to be converting any video signal (at least using the HDMI output and with the video processor on) to 10-bit Deep Color. It is easy to see the input and output bit/channel by pressing Home and checking the Info section. I have an RS25 and I did similar testing but with the 80.2 video processor on only. The JVC Deep Color indicator showed 8 bit per channel when connected directly to my Oppo but 10 bit per channel when connected through the 80.2. In both cases the Oppo's deep color mode was set to Off.

Your post is what prompted me to look into this but I am not getting deep color with my Oppo 83 but I am with my cable box. I only tested with a 1080p/24 disc, maybe it only does it with 1080p/60 and below?
post #1960 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM
KB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post

Your post is what prompted me to look into this but I am not getting deep color with my Oppo 83 but I am with my cable box. I only tested with a 1080p/24 disc, maybe it only does it with 1080p/60 and below?

Strange...in my case the 80.2 will always "convert" to 10-bit deep color, at least for both my video sources (cable box and Oppo). I have the Oppo setup for 1080p/24 so it's definitely doing it for both 1080p/60 and 24. I ended up setting the Oppo at 30 bits so that the 80.2 would not do any extra conversion, but who knows.
post #1961 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Well, so much for buying an 80.2. It looks like DTS has their new NEO:X sound format which will be integrated into the 2011 Onkyo/Integra lines... I might as well wait 6mos and get the next revision for that. I can never get more than 15% discount on Integra stuff anyway...

The Onkyo 5508 is nearly identical to the 80.2. You might find pricing more favorable.
post #1962 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

The answer is that for the past 3 years since discovering Mch classical music I simply do not listen to stereo recordings any more, only Mch ones. It helps that I am a classical music afficianado, where Mch music is reasonably available. Unlike stereo, Mch provides a way, way better replica of the live concert hall experience than stereo ever can, to my ears. I have heard a fair number of very pricey, highly praised stereo systems costing hundreds of $thousands. A good friend is a prominent equipment reviewer, and I have heard some of the outrageously priced stereo stuff he has gone ballistically over the top about. Frankly, I would not swap what I have for any of them. Some high enders roll their eyes about my 80.2/Oppo BDP-83 front end, but it is me who has the last laugh. A few of them have become convinced of that upon hearing my system.

Purist that I am, if I were to listen to stereo sources, it would be in plain stereo. But, a good classical music friend who bought my 80.1 is very pleased with some of the surround modes on his large library of stereo recordings on his hard drive.

Hi Joel,

I am mostly a movie watcher, and I certainly don't have the critical ear of Fitz, but nevertheless I am inclined to completely agree with his point of view, and I never listen in the Stereo listening mode.

I have started buying multi-channel Blu-ray and HD DVD concerts and classical music, and in my home theater it definitely sounds superior to stereo.

Fitz will probably cringe when I say this, but on those rare occasions where I want to listen to a stereo recording it always sounds better when upconverted to multi-channel. It should be pointed out that the ideal acoustic environment for listening to two-channel is different than the ideal environment for multi-channel. Two channel requires a fairly lively acoustic environment to supply ambiance via room reflections. In contrast multi-channel recordings supply the ambiance via the surround channels and it is therefore better to have a relatively dead acoustic environment to permit us to hear that ambience without being unduly colored by room reflections.

Since my home theater was designed for multichannel movies it is rather acoustically dead. Therefore, playing just two channels results in a presentation that lacks spaciousness and liveliness. Upconverting two-channel recordings to 7.1, while not perfect, nevertheless greatly improves the quality of the sound.

Larry
post #1963 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Joel,

I am mostly a movie watcher, and I certainly don't have the critical ear of Fitz, but nevertheless I am inclined to completely agree with his point of view, and I never listen in the Stereo listening mode.

I have started buying multi-channel Blu-ray and HD DVD concerts and classical music, and in my home theater it definitely sounds superior to stereo.

Fitz will probably cringe when I say this, but on those rare occasions where I want to listen to a stereo recording it always sounds better when upconverted to multi-channel. It should be pointed out that the ideal acoustic environment for listening to two-channel is different than the ideal environment for multi-channel. Two channel requires a fairly lively acoustic environment to supply ambiance via room reflections. In contrast multi-channel recordings supply the ambiance via the surround channels and it is therefore better to have a relatively dead acoustic environment to permit us to hear that ambience without being unduly colored by room reflections.

Since my home theater was designed for multichannel movies it is rather acoustically dead. Therefore, playing just two channels results in a presentation that lacks spaciousness and liveliness. Upconverting two-channel recordings to 7.1, while not perfect, nevertheless greatly improves the quality of the sound.

Larry

All good points. I have a few thousand CDs ripped to disk. Most but not all sound best in stereo. My room is small with some reflecting surfaces and some acoustic treatment. I have found the 80.2 + the pro kit to have enhanced my stereo listening experience in this room.

SACD is great and I am trying to increase my holdings It took many years get my cd library so it will take a while to get anywhere near what I have now with SACDs.

There is also less choice in SACDs then in CD right now.

I also buy blu ray operas and other musical blu rays which I enjoy.

It is also a shame one can not rip SACDs for easy access and searching. I can only hope that as technology develops, the people who love music will gain from the process.

Joel
post #1964 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

I just got a email from Audyssey saying that the Installer Kit now goes for 400. I paid over 550 last year.

I read your post and immediately emailed Audyssey yesterday and got a call from a salesman today telling me they do not sell direct to the public anymore and said I'd have to buy from a dealer. He told me the price for the kit is $550 plus $150 for the license. He was very clear on the price. I told him people on the forum have posted that they bought direct and he said that was in the past. He just refused to sell to me direct.
post #1965 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Hi, first, excuse my bad english , i'm from Quebec Canada (i say it's not a good reason ).
I reacently purchase a 80.2 on a authorised dealer (i don't have yet) and i want to know if it's possible to find an instruction manuel in french for operate it correctely.

I read your thread (an congratulation, it is very good) but i'm not understand every tricks or manipulation at all. This componant seems very complicate and i want a full operation of it.

Have a nice evening guy's and thanks

Daniel
post #1966 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM

What is the benefit of the Aud Installer Kit?
post #1967 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomigo1 View Post

Hi, first, excuse my bad english , i'm from Quebec Canada (i say it's not a good reason ).
I reacently purchase a 80.2 on a authorised dealer (i don't have yet) and i want to know if it's possible to find an instruction manuel in french for operate it correctely.

I read your thread (an congratulation, it is very good) but i'm not understand every tricks or manipulation at all. This componant seems very complicate and i want a full operation of it.

Have a nice evening guy's and thanks

Daniel

Daniel,
your english seems to be good enough....you should be able to understand the manual.
post #1968 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solly46 View Post

What is the benefit of the Aud Installer Kit?

It allows you to use MultEQ Pro (or Audyssey Pro) software. Search for either/both of these terms on AVS for info.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1969 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by solly46 View Post

Ruined
there is always going to be something new coming out. Wait 6 months, buy NEX:X, then 6months later, a new audio format will be out. Enjoy the time now, or you'll always be waiting for the next generation!

This is true, but based on the article I read it looks like the new Onkyos will also support 11.1, which will not only fill out NEO:X, but also will allow full potential for Audyssey DSX. Remember, I have a DTC-9.8, so I 'm not exactly suffering at the moment.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #1970 of 3830 Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

I read your post and immediately emailed Audyssey yesterday and got a call from a salesman today telling me they do not sell direct to the public anymore and said I'd have to buy from a dealer. He told me the price for the kit is $550 plus $150 for the license. He was very clear on the price. I told him people on the forum have posted that they bought direct and he said that was in the past. He just refused to sell to me direct.

I emailed Audyssey a couple of days ago about the pro kit and they referred me to a distributer. Audyssey would not sell directly to me. I couldn't find a local dealer who would do anything but refer me to Audyssey but the distributer was very helpful and responsive. I was quoted the same $550 pricing and $150 licensing.
post #1971 of 3830 Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM

Does anyone experience relay clicks during every song change when listening to Pandora radio?

I am getting them now but do not remember this happening before. If I changed something I do not remember what it was .

thx
post #1972 of 3830 Old 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post

Daniel,
your english seems to be good enough....you should be able to understand the manual.

Thanks shumi_9, but i've taked 3 hours for wrote this fews lines..

Really, it's much easy to understand in motherlanguage thers complicates terms and specials techno ideas, specially for my 54 body thinks...

Anyway i wrote Integra Europe and they tell me have to ask my dealer. and he didn't know for a french version of an operating manuel.

However, i just receive my 33 feet long of a HDMI cable today (buy at Justonecable on net), because monoprice didn't have as long 25 feet in 1.4a..

And i hope for difficulte thinks or words, i can refer to your strongly experience and your amability...

and of course read your thread

Have a nice evening

Daniel
post #1973 of 3830 Old 03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomigo1 View Post

Thanks shumi_9, but i've taked 3 hours for wrote this fews lines..

Really, it's much easy to understand in motherlanguage thers complicates terms and specials techno ideas, specially for my 54 body thinks...

Anyway i wrote Integra Europe and they tell me have to ask my dealer. and he didn't know for a french version of an operating manuel.

However, i just receive my 33 feet long of a HDMI cable today (buy at Justonecable on net), because monoprice didn't have as long 25 feet in 1.4a..

And i hope for difficulte thinks or words, i can refer to your strongly experience and your amability...

and of course read your thread

Have a nice evening

Daniel

Bonjour Daniel,

Manuel d’instructions pour Onkyo PR-SC5508, la soeur jumelle de Integra DHC-80.2. Les différences sont très, très petites.

Pardon mon Google Français,
Jeff
post #1974 of 3830 Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Is 10 meters ok for hdmi 1.4a ?
post #1975 of 3830 Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is 10 meters ok for hdmi 1.4a ?

Depends on the cable and the equipment on either end of the run.
post #1976 of 3830 Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 PM

WOW!! thats good and fast enough my esperance. This manuel is very appreciate, thanks very much.
I know the 5508 is very similar than the 80.2, and this manuel help me to understand some thinks i misunderstand.

Please convinience, your ''Google Français'' is worse than your kindness. Thank you very much again and I love to read and learn from your experience.

Nice evening to all,

DAniel
post #1977 of 3830 Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Yes...I too get the relay clicks in between songs on Pandora, as well as any time I pause, ff, rew, or skip chapters in any source (Dish Network, Oppo BDP-83, PS3, Toshiba A35). It's been that way from day one for me. I've set up my listening mode presets but it really hasn't done anything to mitigate the clicks.

I know this may not be an ideal solution (or even possible) for everyone, but this is what I've done to mitigate the clicks. I discovered the relay clicks were practically non-existent when turning off the subwoofer channels in the speaker configuration set up menu. I don't have a dedicated subwoofer but was running the LFE line level output to the bottom half of my RBH 8300 SE/R's by way of two RBH SA-400 subwoofer amps. Since turning off the LFE channels eliminated their presence, I reconfigured my system to run my two towers at full range. Therefore my left and right channels are passing the full range signal to an Emotiva XPA-2, which in turn uses speaker level signals to the SA-400. The SA-400 automatically crosses the high's at 100 hz and outputs the signal to the top half of the tower, while the SA-400 amplifies the bottom half of the signal and routes it to the bottom of the towers. I'm pleasantly surprised how well everything now sounds, and the relay clicks are practically non-existent. Like I said above, I know this won't work for everyone, but it's certainly working for me.
post #1978 of 3830 Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtyndall View Post

Does anyone experience relay clicks during every song change when listening to Pandora radio?

I am getting them now but do not remember this happening before. If I changed something I do not remember what it was .

thx

Yes, I'm getting them too. Always have, as far as I remember. I tolerate it, but it certainly makes Pandora less appealing than it would be otherwise.
post #1979 of 3830 Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Did the 80.1 have clicks that anyone can say for sure?
post #1980 of 3830 Old 03-11-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMIE View Post
Did the 80.1 have clicks that anyone can say for sure?
I have an 80.1 and it does click. It is located in a closet so it is barely noticeable.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page