The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread - Page 69 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Anyone else having issues of their volume knob occasionally not working? It's happened to me a few times over the past couple of weeks, although the remote will control the volume without any issues. Just curious....

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

If you are bitstreaming DSD, the front display should say DSD. That involves no synthetic processing of the signal. Just straight DSP after internal conversion to PCM, including Audyssey. I do not want to listen to SACDs any other way.

that is exactly what I meant. thanks. by setting my listening mode pre-set for DSD sources to "straight decode" the 80.2 will do just that.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Joel - yes, you get Audyssey as long as you are not using Direct mode in the Integra. The front panel should say DSD if that is what you are bitstreaming. If it does not say DSD, switch listening modes on the remote until you get it.

If it says Multich, you are not bitstreaming DSD. The player is set to PCM output.

In either case, the little Audyssey indicator should be on on the Integra's display.

Thanks clear and helpful
Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Anyone else having issues of their volume knob occasionally not working? It's happened to me a few times over the past couple of weeks, although the remote will control the volume without any issues. Just curious....

I have not seen any problems in regards to the volume know on my DHC-80.2. My 886 at times seem to have some quirks in the volume control, but it never happened often enough that I could reach any conclusions.

Bob
Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post
I have not seen any problems in regards to the volume know on my DHC-80.2. My 886 at times seem to have some quirks in the volume control, but it never happened often enough that I could reach any conclusions.
Knob? What's a knob? Oh, it's that old fashioned thing across the room on the front of the unit. I'll be damned if I am going to get up out of my chair and fiddle with that. God gave us remotes for a reason in his plan for the Universe. We should all be thankful.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 PM

for those of you listening to 2-channel music through the 80.2:

preferred input?

coax, optical, analog rca, xlr?

which sounds best?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Knob? What's a knob? Oh, it's that old fashioned thing across the room on the front of the unit.

Great horny toads! So, that's what that hump on the front of my preamp is!

Never did touch that thing---thought it might mess up something.

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post

Great horny toads! So, that's what that hump on the front of my preamp is!

Never did touch that thing---thought it might mess up something.

LOL...too funny. Seriously though, if someone could check it every now and then to see if theirs works, that would be nice.

David Vaughn

Old 03-18-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

LOL...too funny. Seriously though, if someone could check it every now and then to see if theirs works, that would be nice.

Mine works fine. Can you do a poll?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Don't use it much but haven't had any problems when I did use it.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Mine has intermittently been non-responsive. Upon several occasions, I attempted to do a quick down-volume, not having my remote handy.

Carl

--Carl
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

Mine has intermittently been non-responsive. Upon several occasions, I attempted to do a quick down-volume, not having my remote handy.

Carl

Thanks...mine works sometimes too, but not always. I can't pin down why it's doing it since it's so inconsistent. My suspicion is everyone has this problem, but rarely change the volume manually.

David Vaughn

Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Don't use it much but haven't had any problems when I did use it.

ditto
Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

for those of you listening to 2-channel music through the 80.2:

preferred input?

coax, optical, analog rca, xlr?

which sounds best?

I hardly listen to stereo, but in a few brief experiments, I think I prefer coax for CD, but the difference is very slight vs. HDMI. Perhaps I am influenced in my opinion by a theoretical argument. I believe that uncompressed PCM - such as CD - has higher jitter via HDMI than via coax. This has been measured many times and talked about elsewhere. There is jitter suppression circuitry on the Integra's receiving end on all the digital inputs, including HDMI, to help mitigate this, however.

Bitstreamed, compressed signal via HDMI counteracts jitter even more effectively than uncompressed PCM, because the signal is reclocked in the Integra after decompressing the input data stream. As a result, Ialso think bitstreamed, compressed hi rez Blu-ray codecs sound better than hi rez LPCM from older Blu-rays or from transmitting LPCM via HDMI which has been converted by the player. But, no compressed transmission scheme exists for Red Book CD's.

This also definitely holds true for SACDs. Bitstreamed DSD, which is compressed, sounds better than converting DSD to uncompressed PCM in the player. With Oppo's, there is also a volume difference between DSD and PCM transmission which must be compensated for in any valid listening comparisons.

Analog transmission to the Integra is inferior to digital, IMHO. If you use Audyssey, a stereo signal undergoes extra d-a-d conversions for CD, which cannot possibly benefit the sound. They can only degrade it. Turning the DSP and Audyssey off, as in Direct mode with analog input has no advantages that I can hear, but may be the best choice for maximum purity of analog sources, like vinyl. But, it's a tough call. Are the extra a-d, d-a conversions worth it to get Audyssey processing? I don't know, because I no longer listen to vinyl. In any case, analog transmission to the Integra is a second rate choice for digital sources, such as CD.

Bottom line: I bitstream everything that is bitstream-able via HDMI. For CD, I use coax. I use Audyssey and bass management in all cases. If I were to spin some vinyl, actually what I would probably do is bypass the Integra entirely by reconnection of my phono preamp with volume control directly to the main amps. So, I use no analog inputs at all.

For CD, I would think coax would be better than Toslink, but I have done no comparisons, and the difference is not really of interest to me since I hardly listen to CD anymore.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Which is the best place to "bump up" the LFE in this unit - going in to the speaker level settings and increasing it a few db, or the menu option where you specifically increase the LFE levels for each format (True HD, DTS-Master, etc.)?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So far, my volume knob is working fine....
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Which is the best place to "bump up" the LFE in this unit - going in to the speaker level settings and increasing it a few db, or the menu option where you specifically increase the LFE levels for each format (True HD, DTS-Master, etc.)?

If you want "bump up" only the LFE and not the rerouted bass, then the latter is your only option. If you use the speaker level settings (or the level control on the sub), you will be "bumping up" everything that goes to the sub.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Ha - leave it to the forum to find issues for me I didnt know existed. I have the 80.2 and JVC rs20 projector. Other than tons of annoying clicks I have never seen any incompatibility or inability to display a PS3 or other signal that goes through the preamp first with HDMI and out to the projector. I have been using an ATI videocard based HTPC for the past couple of years, and now also an OPPO 93. I think the 80.2 is set to "through" mode on the vid processing but I have never done the "trick" to truly disable it. I didnt know that existed until today...but I will check it out. Also, the OPPO can output 36 bit deep color and when that is enabled the JVC confirms it is receiving 12 bits per channel.

So is there an updated firmware for the JVC rs20, and do I even need it since I dont seem to have any handshake or incompatibility issues?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 PM

fitz, again, you're a wealth of helpful information. thanks.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Liked: 10
80.2 arrived today. Just starting to dig into things and I'll post more thoughts later. As a separates newbie, my thoughts might not help anyone, though...

Ran into an early issue that stumped me and the installer. 80.2 connected to an Emotiva UPA-7 with interconnects that had XLR connectors on the pre/pro side and RCA connectors on the amp side. I didn't think there would be issues, and the installer said he had used them before. But there was virtually no volume coming out of the speakers. I pulled out some old/generic RCA cables and everything came to life. Not sure if this is an amp issue or a pre/pro issue - time to read through the thread again.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherman007 View Post

80.2 arrived today. Just starting to dig into things and I'll post more thoughts later. As a separates newbie, my thoughts might not help anyone, though...

Ran into an early issue that stumped me and the installer. 80.2 connected to an Emotiva UPA-7 with interconnects that had XLR connectors on the pre/pro side and RCA connectors on the amp side. I didn't think there would be issues, and the installer said he had used them before. But there was virtually no volume coming out of the speakers. I pulled out some old/generic RCA cables and everything came to life. Not sure if this is an amp issue or a pre/pro issue - time to read through the thread again.

If your amp doesnt have XLR inputs I would just get a decent set of RCA cables for both ends. No benefit to XLR in your case.

The benefit is debatable anyway if you dont have a pretty long run of interconnect.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

If your amp doesnt have XLR inputs I would just get a decent set of RCA cables for both ends. No benefit to XLR in your case.

The benefit is debatable anyway if you dont have a pretty long run of interconnect.

That's my plan (now). But is there a reason that an XLR to RCA cable would behave like this even if using an XLR plug on one side doesn't bring any benefit?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's my plan (now). But is there a reason that an XLR to RCA cable would behave like this even if using an XLR plug on one side doesn't bring any benefit?

I cant think of one other than a faulty cable. I dont remember the 80.2 having a setting to tell it whether to make the balanced or unbalanced outputs active, but there could be one. I assume you have checked all settings?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Balanced outputs generally have a 6db gain advantage over the rca outputs but Onkyo may compensate for that. If they do compensate then you may be experiencing a a lower overall output which the rca input of the amp does not add back in.

It is very odd to use the XLR outs to a rca input amp if rca outs are available. I have never really heard of anyone plugging in consumer made gear that way so I don't think it a big deal or something that should be worried about at all.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Old 03-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:

I agree. All along I have suspected that the amps do not like the Integra. My hunch is that if you were to try different amps, you would get a different result. It's possible the Integra leaks a bit of DC or other bad things on switching modes. Some amps have better input filtering for this than others.
That may explain it.

Never a pop here with 3 different amp brands on 3 different AC circuits - 2 of them not the same circuit as the Integra. Ditto for prior experience with the 9.8 and 80.1.

I have the same problem .The pops are caused by my amp B&K EX-442 with musical concepts mods all new wires ect. When I switch amps I get no pops only faint relay clicks.At least I know what it is , I could not do anything to remove the problem from this amp.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

My 80.2 last night started to turn it self down, By it self and had a remote fight with it (it would go down I'd turn it up) until I turned it off then it returned to normal. I remember in other times it would turn it self up, and stop (i just thought it was a glitch) but now I wonder. Other's?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 View Post

My 80.2 last night started to turn it self down, By it self and had a remote fight with it (it would go down I'd turn it up) until I turned it off then it returned to normal. I remember in other times it would turn it self up, and stop (i just thought it was a glitch) but now I wonder. Other's?

Nope. Never had that.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
About 2 months ago, I had the unit lock up on me (it would not respond to the remote). Dave Vaughn suggested that I unplugged for some time. I did that and all was well. Well the same thing happened to me over the weekend. This time I was watching the DVR, so I just let it go thinking I would unplug it overnight, and it would be ok. Well after about 15 minutes of watching the frozen 80.2, the cable/sat input flashed on the screen, and this would happen every couple of minutes. I could not adjust the volume or even turn off the unit. I unplugged the unit overnight, and then tried again. Everything seemed fine, switched to the blu-ray input to watch a movie. Well after about 5 minutes it switched back to the cable/sat input, flashing it on the screen every few minutes. It was locked up, so I had to unplug it. I then quickly tried the hard reset, etc.. but the problem continues.
Even with nothing plugged into the cable/sat input it still does it.
FYI
My unit never gets hot (I have two cooling fans on top of it).

Does Integra swap out units or do I have to send it back?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness77 View Post

About 2 months ago, I had the unit lock up on me (it would not respond to the remote). Dave Vaughn suggested that I unplugged for some time. I did that and all was well. Well the same thing happened to me over the weekend. This time I was watching the DVR, so I just let it go thinking I would unplug it overnight, and it would be ok. Well after about 15 minutes of watching the frozen 80.2, the cable/sat input flashed on the screen, and this would happen every couple of minutes. I could not adjust the volume or even turn off the unit. I unplugged the unit overnight, and then tried again. Everything seemed fine, switched to the blu-ray input to watch a movie. Well after about 5 minutes it switched back to the cable/sat input, flashing it on the screen every few minutes. It was locked up, so I had to unplug it. I then quickly tried the hard reset, etc.. but the problem continues.
FYI

Thanks

I'd call the tech support line or your dealer and see what they say to do. If you bought locally, your dealer may swap it out for you.

David Vaughn

Old 03-22-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness77 View Post

FYI

Thanks

Talk to your dealer. They might swap it. I have had no lockups.

Tags
Integra