The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks,
I have a call into my dealer (I bought it locally) so I will see what happens. I will let you know the outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello All,

I have just joined the 80.2 ownership ranks and now I find myself needing an amplifier to mate with this thing with as I just recently sold off my 2 Rotel amps. I am most interested in the Wyred4Sound amps and I really like the looks and size of the MMC7 but find myself drifting towards the bigger offering in the MC lineup. It seems that some of you are running Wyred4Sound amps with this unit but was hoping to get some more feedback then what's been provided. Can anyone comment on these two amps with this unit? And just for conversations sake, what other amps are you guys using and having success with this piece?

Thanks!
Greg
post #2073 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness77 View Post

About 2 months ago, I had the unit lock up on me (it would not respond to the remote). Dave Vaughn suggested that I unplugged for some time. I did that and all was well. Well the same thing happened to me over the weekend. This time I was watching the DVR, so I just let it go thinking I would unplug it overnight, and it would be ok. Well after about 15 minutes of watching the frozen 80.2, the cable/sat input flashed on the screen, and this would happen every couple of minutes. I could not adjust the volume or even turn off the unit. I unplugged the unit overnight, and then tried again. Everything seemed fine, switched to the blu-ray input to watch a movie. Well after about 5 minutes it switched back to the cable/sat input, flashing it on the screen every few minutes. It was locked up, so I had to unplug it. I then quickly tried the hard reset, etc.. but the problem continues.
Even with nothing plugged into the cable/sat input it still does it.
FYI
My unit never gets hot (I have two cooling fans on top of it).

Does Integra swap out units or do I have to send it back?

Thanks

Out of curiosity, what cooling fans are you using? I was considering going this route myself:

http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-Dua...=23CARUGPOGUX9
post #2074 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post

Hello All,

I have just joined the 80.2 ownership ranks and now I find myself needing an amplifier to mate with this thing with as I just recently sold off my 2 Rotel amps. I am most interested in the Wyred4Sound amps and I really like the looks and size of the MMC7 but find myself drifting towards the bigger offering in the MC lineup. It seems that some of you are running Wyred4Sound amps with this unit but was hoping to get some more feedback then what's been provided. Can anyone comment on these two amps with this unit? And just for conversations sake, what other amps are you guys using and having success with this piece?

Thanks!
Greg

Hello,
I am doing things a little different. I am using Seaton Sound, powered speakers for my LCRs & subs.

Carl

--Carl
post #2075 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello All,

Thanks!
Greg

Greg - I am running my 80.2 through a W4S ST-500 for my L/R mains, and using a MMC5 for the center and zone 2 and 3. I really have been enjoying how these sound together.

Once I finish building my rack - I can get my speakers (B&W CM9 and CMC2) in proper position and run the Audyssey. Can't wait to hear how it will sound after that!

-gbd
post #2076 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

Hello,
I am doing things a little different. I am using Seaton Sound, powered speakers for my LCRs & subs.

Carl

I actually thought about doing something similar with some powered Martin Logan's but ultimately decided against it. Tried looking at the Seaton's but their web site is under construction with only their forums available.
post #2077 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbd1729 View Post

Greg - I am running my 80.2 through a W4S ST-500 for my L/R mains, and using a MMC5 for the center and zone 2 and 3. I really have been enjoying how these sound together.

Once I finish building my rack - I can get my speakers (B&W CM9 and CMC2) in proper position and run the Audyssey. Can't wait to hear how it will sound after that!

-gbd

That's great to hear gbd! Looking forward to reading about your results after Audyssey! How is the heat from your MMC5? Is it well ventilated and how hard do you drive it? I hear they can get warm but trying to get a gauge of just how warm. I am using some older Paradigm v2 Studio speakers and justwant to make sure I pic the right amp.

Greg
post #2078 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone running the matching Integra amp - DTA-70.1 - with their 80.2? I just got the combo and I'm in the process of putting them through their paces. So far, so good.

I also have an Earthquake Cinenova 3-channel amp that I may put back in the system for L/C/R and use the DTA-70.1 for surrounds. Still need more demo time with the 70.1, however, before I make that decision.
post #2079 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:

That's great to hear gbd! Looking forward to reading about your results after Audyssey! How is the heat from your MMC5? Is it well ventilated and how hard do you drive it? I hear they can get warm but trying to get a gauge of just how warm. I am using some older Paradigm v2 Studio speakers and justwant to make sure I pic the right amp.

Greg

Right now the MMC5 is sandwiched between the ST-500 and the 80.2, with the 80.2 on top so it can freely ventilate. I only occasionally drive them what I would call "hard", but every time I have been surprised with the clarity. Even when driving them hard I would describe the heat put out by the W4S amps as warm not hot.

That said, they are not in an enclosed space (on the sides at least), so there is plenty of room for airflow. And of course most of the time I'm running the ST-500 with only one of the channels of the MMC5 doing duty for the center, so not exactly the best setup for answering your heat question.

-gbd
post #2080 of 3830 Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I actually thought about doing something similar with some powered Martin Logan's but ultimately decided against it. Tried looking at the Seaton's but their web site is under construction with only their forums available.

Hello,
Mark apparently gives more priority to developing his products & supporting those already in the field then developing his company's web page. (He is active on his company's forum)
His support is superb: I purchased from a third party (Moving out of the country) two of his first produced sub-woofers & asked him what cement to use in tightening the sagging cloth on the grills - he replaced them & no cost to me! There was an intermittent problem (Hard to reproduce the problem) with the Rt Front Channel speaker - he advance shipped a replacement amplifier without a security deposit. (End problem) That is support!
Carl

--Carl
post #2081 of 3830 Old 03-23-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Greg

I use an MMC5 as well. While I wouldn't call my space necessarily "confined" it is in a closet and I've had no heat problems. You can take a look at my set-up in the links in my signature. I've really like the MMC5 - nice compact footprint and low heat compared other options. Given my room has a tendency to get hot and I had limited space, Class D was a logical way to go. I watch mostly movies so I would say the drive level is moderate.
The tube lovers among us will likely say that the sound is analytical - but I just call that neutral. Try and find a shop that has a Rotel Class D if you want to try and get an approximation of the sound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2082 of 3830 Old 03-23-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what cooling fans are you using? I was considering going this route myself:

http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-Dua...=23CARUGPOGUX9

I am using two of the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D. They are really quiet, and keep the unit nice and cool. I have them plugged into a 12 volt power adapter that turns on when I power on the 80.2 (plugged into a smart strip)

http://www.coolerguys.com/sff21.html
post #2083 of 3830 Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Anyone running the matching Integra amp - DTA-70.1 - with their 80.2? I just got the combo and I'm in the process of putting them through their paces. So far, so good.

I also have an Earthquake Cinenova 3-channel amp that I may put back in the system for L/C/R and use the DTA-70.1 for surrounds. Still need more demo time with the 70.1, however, before I make that decision.

I have the 70.1/80.2 combo powering 5.1 plus heights. I have two amps from the 70.1 powering each of my fronts, so I'm using all 9 amps in the 70.1. (having said that I only use the heights occasionally, so often running 5.1)

My room is 6m x 5m with double doors at the back that I usually leave open.

I have DIY acoustic paneling on all my walls at first reflections and above my TV.

I couldn't be happier with the pre/amp combo. More than enough clean power to listen at reference and still get great dynamics. Never once have I seen the need for more power (no clipping, strain, etc) I rarely listen that loud, but with this system I can listen much louder than with my old receiver without fatigue.

Plus the 70.1 is beautiful to look at.

Any questions feel free to ask.
post #2084 of 3830 Old 03-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

Hello,

Carl

How are you finding the seaton / integra combo? I've got 2 submersives and 3 Cat-8Cs on their way and am heavily leaning towards getting the Integra
post #2085 of 3830 Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachy0001 View Post
How are you finding the seaton / integra combo? I've got 2 submersives and 3 Cat-8Cs on their way and am heavily leaning towards getting the Integra
It is working out very well for me. I am re-visiting all of my movies & especially my music.

Carl

--Carl
post #2086 of 3830 Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 185
The 80.2 and Seaton speakers is a wonderful combo. I have Catalysts for the LCR and 4 SubMersives. I know of a few other Seaton owners that use the same pre-pro. At it's price, I'm not sure it can be beat.

Highly recommended.

R 8:28

post #2087 of 3830 Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 AM

Anyone who know how to do a TOTAL reset ?

DVD + Standby = Clear

Do not reset all settings ..
post #2088 of 3830 Old 03-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedmaveric View Post

Anyone who know how to do a TOTAL reset ?

DVD + Standby = Clear

I believe its:
Hold down the VCR/DRV button and press the power button. It should clear out and turn off.
post #2089 of 3830 Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

I use an MMC5 as well. While I wouldn't call my space necessarily "confined" it is in a closet and I've had no heat problems. You can take a look at my set-up in the links in my signature. I've really like the MMC5 - nice compact footprint and low heat compared other options. Given my room has a tendency to get hot and I had limited space, Class D was a logical way to go. I watch mostly movies so I would say the drive level is moderate.
The tube lovers among us will likely say that the sound is analytical - but I just call that neutral. Try and find a shop that has a Rotel Class D if you want to try and get an approximation of the sound.

I actually did get a chance to listen to a Rotel Class D amp at a local boutique recently and was quite surprised on how much I enjoyed the sound. I say quite surprised because of all of the things I have read about the Rotel Class D amps, they seem to be the least regarded for sound. So my logic was if I liked the "not so great sounding" class D amp then the ones highly regarded must really sound great! Needless to say, I am pretty much sold on the W4S amps and just trying to decide between the MMC and MC line. Appreciate the feedback and now you both have me wondering if the MMC 5 might run cooler than the MMC 7 just by nature of having two blank slots in the chassis. Any MMC 7 owners out there? It's it good to hear though that there are some of you having good luck with W4S and the 80.2. Any MC 6 or 7 users out there with this pre-amp?
post #2090 of 3830 Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any info on the tone controls found by hitting the home button, then selecting audio. It allows you to adjust the bass and treble for all speakers by 2 db iincrements. Anyone have specifics aout how this functions, what frequencies, what about your selected crossover, etc. Thanks

post #2091 of 3830 Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I actually did get a chance to listen to a Rotel Class D amp at a local boutique recently and was quite surprised on how much I enjoyed the sound. I say quite surprised because of all of the things I have read about the Rotel Class D amps, they seem to be the least regarded for sound. So my logic was if I liked the "not so great sounding" class D amp then the ones highly regarded must really sound great! Needless to say, I am pretty much sold on the W4S amps and just trying to decide between the MMC and MC line. Appreciate the feedback and now you both have me wondering if the MMC 5 might run cooler than the MMC 7 just by nature of having two blank slots in the chassis. Any MMC 7 owners out there? It's it good to hear though that there are some of you having good luck with W4S and the 80.2. Any MC 6 or 7 users out there with this pre-amp?

Speaking of class D amps, I had tried some Bel Canto 500's in my system and I was not totally sold on them. But, then I tried a Spectron Musician SE Mk 3 for my front speakers and I was in love with the sound - about the most neutral amps I have ever heard. They sounded better than and displaced a pair of veteran Krell Class A monoblocks with an MSRP of $22K.

They are somewhat pricier than most other class D's and they do not use the Ice-powered scheme employed by almost all others. But, they are insanely powerful - 600W into 8 ohms, 900 into 4. They are extremely load tolerant down to 0.5 ohm, unlike most others. That's important with my Martin Logan 'stats.

They are sold direct only, so there is no boutique markup. And, I can see the difference in my electric bill vs. the Krells.
post #2092 of 3830 Old 03-25-2011, 12:39 PM

swedmarvic,

you mentioned in your reply

DVD + Standby = Clear

What was meant by "do not reset all settings"
post #2093 of 3830 Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I actually believe the MMC's run a little hotter than the MC's because of the smaller case. You should just email W4S. EJ is really good about getting answers quickly.

post #2094 of 3830 Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

I actually believe the MMC's run a little hotter than the MC's because of the smaller case. You should just email W4S. EJ is really good about getting answers quickly.

Thanks Vigga and I have... I don't think EJ answers phone calls or emails anymore as I always get a response from Clint. He's been great but not like what you would get when you talk to 'the man'. Your probably right about the extra heat due to the case size. I did some rack re-arranging for the 80.2 yesterday and it seems that the MMC 7 is probably my best choice due to space. I was only concerned about the extra heat from the MMC because it got pretty warm in the room while running the older Rotel amps so I was hoping to avoid that discomfort again with a cool running amp. I'm sure it will be fine and might pull the trigger next week on it.

On a side note, I noticed my 80.2 is not level on all four feet. The back left foot seems to be a little shorter then the others. I can fix it but was wondering if anybody else noticed this with their unit? Thought about using a Sorbathane spacer to widen the gap.
post #2095 of 3830 Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Liked: 13
Or has the 80.2 stayed much more expensive? The 5508 seems to available from more places and the competition has forced prices down.
post #2096 of 3830 Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

Or has the 80.2 stayed much more expensive? The 5508 seems to available from more places and the competition has forced prices down.

The 5508's , which are $50. more the 80.2's, are sold primarily by musical instrument dealers. I guess they do not need much mark-up like av stores to stay solvent. Lots of mark-up on those gee-tar strings !!!
post #2097 of 3830 Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly46 View Post

swedmarvic,

you mentioned in your reply

DVD + Standby = Clear

What was meant by "do not reset all settings"

All settings does not go back to original settings
post #2098 of 3830 Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Liked: 14
To all 80.2 owner's:

Who is using the Integra's analog inputs? Thoughts?

Is the 80.2 really subpar for analog passthrough?

Is it therefore not worth it buying a CD/blu-ray player with a great analog stage?

Who has compared analog vs digital into the 80.2 with a high end CD/universal player?

All opinions appreciated. Thanks.
post #2099 of 3830 Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Well I have had my 80.2 for about 3 weeks now and have some coments. When in 5 channel stereo mode there seems to be more bass comming out of the subwoofer channels than plain stereo, I wish I could adjust this so the bass is always the same for the two modes.I also have noticed that with my direct tv hr 24-100, there are several stations that have a lot of unwanted low freq.content,comming from the sub channels. like on the news, when there is just speech, I get a lot of woofer movment comming from my two subs, and the power meeters on my sub amp are moving higher than it should. If I go to an OTA 5.1 station from my TV, the subamp and woofers are hardly moving at all,but there is still bass, this unwanted low freq content is a waste of power and not sounding good. I installed a subsonic filter at 22 hz, but it did not do much to fix this issue,at least I can turn up my system without having my woofers bottom out.Anyone notice this with direct tv.I know most people might not be looking at the subwoofers moving, I do not have grills on mine. Or have a seperate power amp with power meeters to see what is going into the sub Thanks.
post #2100 of 3830 Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I was curious how this sounds compared to the original DTC 9.8? I didn't want to wade thru 70 pages to find out. Sorry for being lazy. Just want a general feeling as to the sonic qualities.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page