The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 3830 Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi to all. Im interested in buying the 80.2 but would like to know where I can find the best price. Maybe that information is not possible in this thread but please send me a private mail if you can help me. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 3830 Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

To all 80.2 owner's:

Who is using the Integra's analog inputs? Thoughts?

Is the 80.2 really subpar for analog passthrough?

Is it therefore not worth it buying a CD/blu-ray player with a great analog stage?

Who has compared analog vs digital into the 80.2 with a high end CD/universal player?

All opinions appreciated. Thanks.

It depends on what you mean by "par" and "subpar". I think analog input is on a par with what you would expect at this price point - quite decent. A friend uses his 80.1 extensively that way and he is quite satisfied with it. But, it is not the equivalent in high end subtleties to a $2K or more pure analog line stage.

It is absolutely not worth paying extra for a player with fancy analog outputs. HDMI on Mch with Audyssey will give you far superior results to that, I don't care how expensive the player is. For CD, but not Mch, you might find coax slightly superior to HDMI, and you still get Audyssey that way without additional d-a, a-d conversions, which are detrimental.

We did a comparison on the 80.1 of a Sony 777ES player in Mch analog vs. a Sony 5400 via HDMI. No contest. I did a comparison of an Esoteric Mch player via pure DSD analog with an Audio Research Mch analog controller vs. an Oppo BDP-83 via HDMI into an old DTC 9.8 with Audyssey. (The analog combo cost > 5x as much.) Again, no contest. I mean, not even close. Personally, I think analog has lost the war, certainly for Mch, but even for CD. But, old beliefs die hard, and fools and their money are soon parted.
post #2103 of 3830 Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

I was curious how this sounds compared to the original DTC 9.8? I didn't want to wade thru 70 pages to find out. Sorry for being lazy. Just want a general feeling as to the sonic qualities.

Much, much better. XT/32 has a lot to do with that. I had a 9.8 for 2 years, then an 80.1, now an 80.2.
post #2104 of 3830 Old 03-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

It is absolutely not worth paying extra for a player with fancy analog outputs. HDMI on Mch with Audyssey will give you far superior results to that, I don't care how expensive the player is. For CD, but not Mch, you might find coax slightly superior to HDMI, and you still get Audyssey that way without additional d-a, a-d conversions, which are detrimental.

We did a comparison on the 80.1 of a Sony 777ES player in Mch analog vs. a Sony 5400 via HDMI. No contest. I did a comparison of an Esoteric Mch player via pure DSD analog with an Audio Research Mch analog controller vs. an Oppo BDP-83 via HDMI into an old DTC 9.8 with Audyssey. (The analog combo cost > 5x as much.) Again, no contest. I mean, not even close. Personally, I think analog has lost the war, certainly for Mch, but even for CD. But, old beliefs die hard, and fools and their money are soon parted.

wonderfully helpful reply. you have just saved me a solid chunk of money. I am leaning toward the oppo bdp-93 now instead of the 95.
post #2105 of 3830 Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Much, much better. XT/32 has a lot to do with that. I had a 9.8 for 2 years, then an 80.1, now an 80.2.

What do you mean by "XT/32 has a lot to do with that?" I think the 9.8 has XT and the 80.2 has Aud Pro. I don't use Audyssey. I tried it on two occasions and it sounded closed in and muffled. And I don't even like a bright presentation.

My room is a fairly well treated, rectangular dedicated room.
post #2106 of 3830 Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

What do you mean by "XT/32 has a lot to do with that?" I think the 9.8 has XT and the 80.2 has Aud Pro. I don't use Audyssey. I tried it on two occasions and it sounded closed in and muffled. And I don't even like a bright presentation.

My room is a fairly well treated, rectangular dedicated room.

The 9.8 has MultEQ XT. The 80.2 has MultEQ XT 32. Neither of them come with "Pro" but either of them can be calibrated with it.

I have the twin sister of a different mother to the 9.8, the OP 885, and I have a Pro kit. And as SVS AS-EQ1, too. I swear by Audyssey and it's ability to remove the room and allow the performance or movie environment to come through.

I have a fairly well-treated, (mostly) rectangular dedicated room. Check the link in my sig.
post #2107 of 3830 Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomefs View Post

Well I have had my 80.2 for about 3 weeks now and have some coments. When in 5 channel stereo mode there seems to be more bass comming out of the subwoofer channels than plain stereo, I wish I could adjust this so the bass is always the same for the two modes.I also have noticed that with my direct tv hr 24-100, there are several stations that have a lot of unwanted low freq.content,comming from the sub channels. like on the news, when there is just speech, I get a lot of woofer movment comming from my two subs, and the power meeters on my sub amp are moving higher than it should. If I go to an OTA 5.1 station from my TV, the subamp and woofers are hardly moving at all,but there is still bass, this unwanted low freq content is a waste of power and not sounding good. I installed a subsonic filter at 22 hz, but it did not do much to fix this issue,at least I can turn up my system without having my woofers bottom out.Anyone notice this with direct tv.I know most people might not be looking at the subwoofers moving, I do not have grills on mine. Or have a seperate power amp with power meeters to see what is going into the sub Thanks.

I had a hot low frequency issue when I first got mine. Thought the mic might be bad so I used a friends mic from his Denon pre-amp. The denon mic produced much better results, but what I really found out was that if I ran Audyssey in all eight positions spread out over lets say an 10' area it gave me the unwanted low frequency and set my surrounds too hot. I did a quick three position calibration moving the mic only about a foot between positions and it gave me a much smoother result and cured the low frequency issues as well as set the surrounds correctly. In my room anyway, the wider I got with the Audyssey calibration from my main position, the worse the result. Try doing a calibration not moving the mic more than six inches to a foot from your main position and see if that helps. Bob
post #2108 of 3830 Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

I had a hot low frequency issue when I first got mine. Thought the mic might be bad so I used a friends mic from his Denon pre-amp. The denon mic produced much better results, but what I really found out was that if I ran Audyssey in all eight positions spread out over lets say an 10' area it gave me the unwanted low frequency and set my surrounds too hot. I did a quick three position calibration moving the mic only about a foot between positions and it gave me a much smoother result and cured the low frequency issues as well as set the surrounds correctly. In my room anyway, the wider I got with the Audyssey calibration from my main position, the worse the result. Try doing a calibration not moving the mic more than six inches to a foot from your main position and see if that helps. Bob

That's actually not a good idea. Audyssey, and ARC as well, recommend mke placements at least 2 feet apart. Room acoustics are local and vary across the room. You do not want to overweight just a tiny area. You need a wider spatial average covering the listening area, but no wider or deeper.

My listening area is a 3 seat 96" sofa. So, I do 11-13 (Audyssey Pro allows more than 8) positions starting at the sweet spot all around the sofa, but no wider or deeper than it. Every position is over the sofa itself - back where listener's ears are, 2 feet in front of those and over the arms at the sides I do not use any mike points outside this listening area. My results have been highly satisfactory.

By, the way, it is also possible that the Denon mike has a different calibration curve than the Integra mike. The mismatch may cause inacurate results. Pro, with its individually calibrated mike, is superior to the batch calibrated mikes that ship stock with the units and delivers somewhat better sonics as a result.
post #2109 of 3830 Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomefs View Post

Well I have had my 80.2 for about 3 weeks now and have some coments. When in 5 channel stereo mode there seems to be more bass comming out of the subwoofer channels than plain stereo, Thanks.

That mode on 80.1 does the same thing - I would say the bass is boosted
at least 4 or 5 dbs over straight stereo -
Only good for background listening or to get your guests up and dancing at a party

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #2110 of 3830 Old 03-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

Only good for background listening or to get your guests up and dancing at a party

More channels reproducing the full stereo source = more bass routed to the sub by the bass management system.
post #2111 of 3830 Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

That's actually not a good idea. Audyssey, and ARC as well, recommend mke placements at least 2 feet apart. Room acoustics are local and vary across the room. You do not want to overweight just a tiny area. You need a wider spatial average covering the listening area, but no wider or deeper.

My listening area is a 3 seat 96" sofa. So, I do 11-13 (Audyssey Pro allows more than 8) positions starting at the sweet spot all around the sofa, but no wider or deeper than it. Every position is over the sofa itself - back where listener's ears are, 2 feet in front of those and over the arms at the sides I do not use any mike points outside this listening area. My results have been highly satisfactory.

By, the way, it is also possible that the Denon mike has a different calibration curve than the Integra mike. The mismatch may cause inacurate results. Pro, with its individually calibrated mike, is superior to the batch calibrated mikes that ship stock with the units and delivers somewhat better sonics as a result.

I know what Audyssey recommends for settings. I just get poor results as I go farther from my main listening position. Pioneer's MCACC has basically a one position setting (although you can expand it to three) and with my SC-27 and SC-09 I felt I got better results than what Audyssey is giving me with the 80.2. I'm not starting a war between the two, but I prefer Pioneer's MCACC to Audyssey. I've had Audyssey in my Denon 5805MKII, Marantz AV8003 and now the 80.2 and it does a decent job with room correction. However, I prefer Pioneer's MCACC in my room.
post #2112 of 3830 Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

That said in my opinion,I would not recomend this unit for 2 ch. stereo listening, it is by far the worst vs. the other modes.
post #2113 of 3830 Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

This boosted bass is only a direct tv issue for me, and only on some channels.
post #2114 of 3830 Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I'd call the tech support line or your dealer and see what they say to do. If you bought locally, your dealer may swap it out for you.

Quote:

Talk to your dealer. They might swap it. I have had no lockups.

My dealer swapped it out, and I am up and running again!

Thanks
post #2115 of 3830 Old 03-30-2011, 02:57 PM

I had a Linn Unidisk SC as a preamp but sold it some days ago since I want a HDMI-capable preamp instead, looking at the Integra DHC-80.2 and I'm a tad unsure about the analog inputs on it. Linn havent bothered much with mch-preamps lately and it doesnt seem as they will bother in the future either so I'm pretty much forced to look for something else as preamp.

I have a Linn Akurate DS streamer as source for music and the combo ADS>Unidisk SC sounded great, does anyone else have a Linn streamer and tried connecting it to a Integra 80.2?

The ADS only got RCA outputs and balanced XLR aswell, no coax since the DAC in the ADS is supposed to be used, its an awesome machine and I love the sound it produces but will the 80.2 completely bottleneck the sound via the analog inputs?

edit: If it turns out that it sounds awfully bad, can I somehow bypass the DHC 80.2 when I want to listen to music in 2ch and use some other preamp+proamp? Or maybe some integrated analog amp that sounds good enough?

edit 2: seems I'll have to find a Linn-preamp or integrated that has unity gain. So it seems its possible to solve at least.
post #2116 of 3830 Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness77 View Post
My dealer swapped it out, and I am up and running again!

Thanks
Great to hear!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #2117 of 3830 Old 03-30-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Anyone know any stores that sell the IRK-180-4 rack kit? Having trouble finding one locally...
post #2118 of 3830 Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shike74 View Post
I had a Linn Unidisk SC as a preamp but sold it some days ago since I want a HDMI-capable preamp instead, looking at the Integra DHC-80.2 and I'm a tad unsure about the analog inputs on it. Linn havent bothered much with mch-preamps lately and it doesnt seem as they will bother in the future either so I'm pretty much forced to look for something else as preamp.

I have a Linn Akurate DS streamer as source for music and the combo ADS>Unidisk SC sounded great, does anyone else have a Linn streamer and tried connecting it to a Integra 80.2?

The ADS only got RCA outputs and balanced XLR aswell, no coax since the DAC in the ADS is supposed to be used, its an awesome machine and I love the sound it produces but will the 80.2 completely bottleneck the sound via the analog inputs?

edit: If it turns out that it sounds awfully bad, can I somehow bypass the DHC 80.2 when I want to listen to music in 2ch and use some other preamp+proamp? Or maybe some integrated analog amp that sounds good enough?

edit 2: seems I'll have to find a Linn-preamp or integrated that has unity gain. So it seems its possible to solve at least.
I don't listen to the analog inputs any more on the 80.2, not because they are bad, but just because I prefer hi rez Mch in a big, big way. I think the feedback on the 80.2's analog indicates you should give it a try. It might be totally satisfying. If it's not, you could fall back to a separate analog line stage with HT passthrough, not only from Linn but also from a host of other makers. Kal Rubinson just had nice things to say about the John Curl-designed Parasound Halo JC2 BP in Stereophile recently, for example. But, there are also less expensive analog stereo preamps out there with bypass, as well.

On the digital side, you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding prepro, especially considering Audyssey XT/32. I am not saying it exceeds them, but it is comparable to the big, expensive boys. I love it, though I could spring for something more costly, if I thought it was worth it. And, if you are like me, you might find yourself totally swept away by hi rez Mch music through this fine prepro.

For the vey best, most refined sound from the 80.2,also consider an upgrade to Audyssey Pro.
post #2119 of 3830 Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:

I don't listen to the analog inputs any more on the 80.2, not because they are bad, but just because I prefer hi rez Mch in a big, big way. I think the feedback on the 80.2's analog indicates you should give it a try. It might be totally satisfying. If it's not, you could fall back to a separate analog line stage with HT passthrough, not only from Linn but also from a host of other makers. Kal Rubinson just had nice things to say about the John Curl-designed Parasound Halo JC2 BP in Stereophile recently, for example. But, there are also less expensive analog stereo preamps out there with bypass, as well.

On the digital side, you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding prepro, especially considering Audyssey XT/32. I am not saying it exceeds them, but it is comparable to the big, expensive boys. I love it, though I could spring for something more costly, if I thought it was worth it. And, if you are like me, you might find yourself totally swept away by hi rez Mch music through this fine prepro.

For the vey best, most refined sound from the 80.2,also consider an upgrade to Audyssey Pro.

Great, placed an order on a DHC 80.2 and should receive it monday hopefully. Will give my thoughts on the analog inputs of course.

If it sounds poor in comparison with the SC I had then I'll just hook on another analog stage with HT/UG.

Best of two worlds in my eyes
post #2120 of 3830 Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Hi to all,
Somebody knows if it possible to use a different outpout ( XLR / RCA) on the 80.2 ?.

I want use XLR outpout for back surround and center channel and regular RCA for the other channel, cause my amplifier for back and surround have theses inpout connections.

Thanks very much and have a nice evening guys
post #2121 of 3830 Old 04-01-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I did RCA to sub and xlr to the rest for a while.
post #2122 of 3830 Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I did RCA to sub and xlr to the rest for a while.

Yup. I am using RCAs to 2 subs and xlr for the rest.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #2123 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Ok for the subs, but can i mix thoses connections for surround back, center, etc..?

Is it a special set-up in the menu ?
post #2124 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomigo1 View Post

Ok for the subs, but can i mix thoses connections for surround back, center, etc..?

Is it a special set-up in the menu ?

Yes it is ok. But no menu, RCA and xlr are both live.
post #2125 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post
I have the 70.1/80.2 combo powering 5.1 plus heights. I have two amps from the 70.1 powering each of my fronts, so I'm using all 9 amps in the 70.1. (having said that I only use the heights occasionally, so often running 5.1)

My room is 6m x 5m with double doors at the back that I usually leave open.

I have DIY acoustic paneling on all my walls at first reflections and above my TV.

I couldn't be happier with the pre/amp combo. More than enough clean power to listen at reference and still get great dynamics. Never once have I seen the need for more power (no clipping, strain, etc) I rarely listen that loud, but with this system I can listen much louder than with my old receiver without fatigue.

Plus the 70.1 is beautiful to look at.

Any questions feel free to ask.
I have the same combo 80.2/70.1 on order and I'm wondering how you like the height channels? Worth the time to add and wire for them? What made you choose heights over widths? I was thinking of adding widths outside of my scope screen since I have a narrow room thinking this might give the room a wider feel??
post #2126 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Yup. I am using RCAs to 2 subs and xlr for the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Yes it is ok. But no menu, RCA and xlr are both live.

Thanks guys, thats why i never find anything in the oparating manuel. Do you know if the XLRs give a 3 Db boost (approximatly) like usuel on other equipment?

(sorry for my bad english)

nice evening
post #2127 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Thanks guys, thats why i never find anything in the oparating manuel. Do you know if the XLRs give a 3 Db boost (approximatly) like usuel on other equipment?

I don't know. Channel setup/balance takes care of it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #2128 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

(sorry for my bad english)

nice evening

Balanced (XLR) connections are at a higher level, but the receiving circuits take that into consideration. So, no net boost.

Was that what you were asking?
post #2129 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Balanced (XLR) connections are at a higher level, but the receiving circuits take that into consideration. So, no net boost.

Was that what you were asking?

Yes that answers my question. So the only advantage of the XLR is the use of long wire...
post #2130 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Yes that answers my question. So the only advantage of the XLR is the use of long wire...

The only advantage of balanced lines is for long runs and/or in high RF/EMI environments.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page