The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2131 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, thank you very much for your answers, I use balanced mode and bi-amplification for my front speakers (pass trough mode on my pre-amp Simaudio) and I thought found the same gain, but I had not thought the audio correction made ​​by the 80.2

thank you for your help and excellent evening all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 3830 Old 04-02-2011, 05:09 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan View Post

I have the same combo 80.2/70.1 on order and I'm wondering how you like the height channels? Worth the time to add and wire for them? What made you choose heights over widths? I was thinking of adding widths outside of my scope screen since I have a narrow room thinking this might give the room a wider feel??

the heights are subtle. I can't say I use them all that often. I didn't go with widths or surround backs because of my room dimensions (I have no place for them). I had an extra pair of bookshelf speakers and the wiring already set-up when my house was built so I did the heights just to check it out.

To be honest, if you have good speakers that deliver a large vertical (and horizontal) soundstage, you might find it difficult to hear a difference between when the heights are on vs. off.
With my old klipsch speaker they made my fronts sound great, but with my monitor audio's I tend to play the hi-rez soundtracks with as little extra processing as possible. (I bitstream out of my oppo and let audyssey do it's thing and that's it.)

So my final opinion: if you have speakers with good vertical soundstage (try first scene in ratatouille or master and commander to check) then it's probably not worth spending too much money on adding heights.
post #2133 of 3830 Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomigo1 View Post

Yes that answers my question. So the only advantage of the XLR is the use of long wire...

Yes, sonically there is probably no difference for short runs. But, I absolutely hate RCA's and their friction fit. So, XLR's have the advantage in ease and elegance in use, as well.
post #2134 of 3830 Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Technically, XLRs are also friction fit for the pins, but have a more positive capture mechanism.

The debate about sonic improvements for XLRs will continue forever, I imagine...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2135 of 3830 Old 04-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Technically, XLRs are also friction fit for the pins, but have a more positive capture mechanism.

The debate about sonic improvements for XLRs will continue forever, I imagine...
I haven't seen anyone .. here, now . . claim that there are sonic improvements. Just that the locking mechanism is preferred, and that balanced lines prevent sonic degradation over longer runs and/or in high RF/EMI environments. Though maybe I didn't wait long enough ...
post #2136 of 3830 Old 04-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

You are of course correct. Speaking of dependence on just a friction fit, more than RCA's, I loathe HDMI's. So, all mine are now PPC locking HDMI's, with a mechanism somewhat analogous to XLR's. They have never pulled out by themselves, as my previous heavy cables did.
post #2137 of 3830 Old 04-03-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
@pepar: Go back a few pages, or check out a few other threads... I check this thread just every now and then so my "here and now" may have been a while back, sorry.

@fitzcaraldo215: I will have to check out the PPC HDMIs, thanks!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2138 of 3830 Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has there been any news or news leaks about a new model to replace the 80.2 yet?
post #2139 of 3830 Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you go by their past time frames with announcing new product releases for their past pre-pros so far, which is usually somewhere right around September to early October. Then there probably won't be any detailed news of a replacement for 80.2 until about 4 to 5 months from now.
post #2140 of 3830 Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraSaurasRex View Post

Has anyone had success programming the Integra remote with the functions of the Roku XDS or the Apple TV? I've assigned them to Game and PC. Their functions are pretty basic, input wheel and a few buttons. -thanks

How does the apple tv work with the 80.2? I have the 9.8 and it never syncs (hdmi) I have to stand on one foot, poke out my tongue and turn all components on in a specific order
post #2141 of 3830 Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by com5984 View Post

How does the apple tv work with the 80.2? I have the 9.8 and it never syncs (hdmi) I have to stand on one foot, poke out my tongue and turn all components on in a specific order

I just hooked up my AppleTV a few weeks ago and I haven't had any issues with the 80.2. It works just like any other source...knock on wood!
post #2142 of 3830 Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpimpin View Post

I just hooked up my AppleTV a few weeks ago and I haven't had any issues with the 80.2. It works just like any other source...knock on wood!

EDIT - I'm using an ATV2
post #2143 of 3830 Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post
the heights are subtle. I can't say I use them all that often. I didn't go with widths or surround backs because of my room dimensions (I have no place for them). I had an extra pair of bookshelf speakers and the wiring already set-up when my house was built so I did the heights just to check it out.

To be honest, if you have good speakers that deliver a large vertical (and horizontal) soundstage, you might find it difficult to hear a difference between when the heights are on vs. off.
With my old klipsch speaker they made my fronts sound great, but with my monitor audio's I tend to play the hi-rez soundtracks with as little extra processing as possible. (I bitstream out of my oppo and let audyssey do it's thing and that's it.)

So my final opinion: if you have speakers with good vertical soundstage (try first scene in ratatouille or master and commander to check) then it's probably not worth spending too much money on adding heights.
Many thanks for your reply!
post #2144 of 3830 Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 AM

I can not seem to get my RBG computor input to work and only get a blue screen . I have tried many ways to do this and no go. I contacted integra and they are telling me that my brand new 80.2 is broken. Any info would be a great help.
post #2145 of 3830 Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomefs View Post

I can not seem to get my RBG computor input to work and only get a blue screen . I have tried many ways to do this and no go. I contacted integra and they are telling me that my brand new 80.2 is broken. Any info would be a great help.

I don't have this unit, but I seem to remember that I've seen manuals listing supported computer video resolutions and make sure your computer isn't outputting something unsupported.
post #2146 of 3830 Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by com5984 View Post

I have an 80.1 and it works flawlessly.

post #2147 of 3830 Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:

I think I fixed it by using a different computor, it worked then, I went back to the other computor and changed the setting of clone to extended and it also worked but it will not work on clone , the setting I want Thanks.
post #2148 of 3830 Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I think I fixed it by using a different computor, it worked then, I went back to the other computor and changed the setting of clone to extended and it also worked but it will not work on clone , the setting I want Thanks.

I think clone assumes the same resolution/bit-depth for both displays while extend will allow different settings per display. ... I *think* ..
post #2149 of 3830 Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Just recently purchased an Oppo, what video/audio settings are recommended for bd and streaming with the Integra.

Thanks in advance.
post #2150 of 3830 Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Wireless member

You want to make sure that it is bitstreaming and doing no video processing. If you have a display capable of 24p, then make sure the Oppo is set to pass that when it is playing a 24p source.
post #2151 of 3830 Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation when using a PS3 with the 80.2 what the BD/DVD Upscaler should be set at with the PS3?
post #2152 of 3830 Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was curious as to who all has used a USB thumb drive to listen to music? I finally got my amp (Wyred for Sound MMC7) and got the combo hooked up. For break-in of both units, I copied over a bunch of wave files of CD's I have on a thumb drive to let it loop through. Every time it finishes a song and plays the next, there is this burst of static over the speakers until the next song plays. It's brief and not loud enough to hurt anything but just seems strange and was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. Once I got it setup on my network I just pointed to my media server and have been looping lossless WMA files and the issue is non-existent there. On that note, I am very impressed with the 80.2's ability to play music from my server. I have literally thousands of songs spread across multiple directories and it handles it perfectly. I say this because my PS3 will not play my music unless I create relatively small libraries. I was shocked. Anyway, if anyone has has the same issue with the static and USB, please let me know.

Thanks,
Greg
post #2153 of 3830 Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by solly46 View Post

Just recently purchased an Oppo, what video/audio settings are recommended for bd and streaming with the Integra.

Thanks in advance.

I have the oppo bdp-93. I let the oppo do ALL video processing for the BD input of the 80.2. In my opinion my oppo does a better job upscaling DVD to 1080 than the Integra, but it is up to you.

To do this there are two settings you need to set in the 80.2.

First, make sure you have the 80.2 set to the correct input: most likely BD.

Then,

1.) In Input/Output Assign menu set Resolution to: "Source"

2.) Then in the Audio Adjust menu for the BD input, set Resolution to "Through"

This will send the signal coming in via HDMI to the BD input through the 80.2 without doing any video processing to it.

Because you've set Input/Output Resolution to "Source" you can then go through each input and tell the 80.2 when you DO want it to process.

I, for example, let the 80.2 upscale my digital tv signal to 1080.

any questions, let me know
post #2154 of 3830 Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks Tallnick, I understand the settings I need to make on the 80.2

What are the settings I need to change on the Oppo.

Thanks in advance.
post #2155 of 3830 Old 04-09-2011, 04:13 PM

I use my prepro to stream audio from my WHS. It works great most of the time and it does higher resolution files from HDtracks (better than my squeezebox duet or boxee box). The navigation could be improved compared to the squeezebox but it is better than the boxee box. Every couple of days I have to power down the prepro because the server is not visible. Pandora also will not work at the same time. Three other devices are on the same Ethernet switch (Dlink gig switch) and never lose connectivity. Pulling the cable and plugging back in does not fix the issue. Only a complete power down of the 80.2 fixes the issue. I never have to touch my server or network. It seems like the IP stack gets hung. I tried static IP assignment and that also suffers from the same problem. Anyone else seeing issues with the 80.2?
post #2156 of 3830 Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creilly11 View Post

I use my prepro to stream audio from my WHS. It works great most of the time and it does higher resolution files from HDtracks (better than my squeezebox duet or boxee box). The navigation could be improved compared to the squeezebox but it is better than the boxee box. Every couple of days I have to power down the prepro because the server is not visible. Pandora also will not work at the same time. Three other devices are on the same Ethernet switch (Dlink gig switch) and never lose connectivity. Pulling the cable and plugging back in does not fix the issue. Only a complete power down of the 80.2 fixes the issue. I never have to touch my server or network. It seems like the IP stack gets hung. I tried static IP assignment and that also suffers from the same problem. Anyone else seeing issues with the 80.2?

I just set mine up this past week and ran music from my mediaserver non-stop for about 4 days. No issues that I could see and the unit grabbed an IP address almost instantly when I plugged it in to the network.

Have you tried using a different port on your DLink?
post #2157 of 3830 Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Wireless member

Anyone having having problems using Audyssey Pro with this unit should visit this link.
post #2158 of 3830 Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post

I was curious as to who all has used a USB thumb drive to listen to music? I finally got my amp (Wyred for Sound MMC7) and got the combo hooked up. For break-in of both units, I copied over a bunch of wave files of CD's I have on a thumb drive to let it loop through. Every time it finishes a song and plays the next, there is this burst of static over the speakers until the next song plays. It's brief and not loud enough to hurt anything but just seems strange and was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. Once I got it setup on my network I just pointed to my media server and have been looping lossless WMA files and the issue is non-existent there. On that note, I am very impressed with the 80.2's ability to play music from my server. I have literally thousands of songs spread across multiple directories and it handles it perfectly. I say this because my PS3 will not play my music unless I create relatively small libraries. I was shocked. Anyway, if anyone has has the same issue with the static and USB, please let me know.

Thanks,
Greg

Just wanted to update this as I did some cross searching on some of the other Onkyo threads and the static burst I described above appears to be an issue others have come across as well. It seems to be particular to WAV files and it sounds like Onkyo might be working on a fix. I experimented and tried WAV files from me media server and experienced the same static burst at the end of the track. I also tried WMA lossless on a USB thumb drive and it worked just as good as streaming from my server. So the issue in my case does seem to be with WAV files as suggested in other forms. I called into Integra tech support for help and they noted the issue and said they would get back with me. I doubt they will but at least they have another documented instance.

I'd be curious if anyone is NOT having this issue with WAV files.

Thanks,
Greg
post #2159 of 3830 Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post

I just set mine up this past week and ran music from my mediaserver non-stop for about 4 days. No issues that I could see and the unit grabbed an IP address almost instantly when I plugged it in to the network.

Have you tried using a different port on your DLink?

Close. It turned out to be a bad Ethernet cable that passed the physical layer test on the DHC-80.2 but failed to allow communication. Whenever I unplugged the DHC-80.2, I must have moved the cable slightly and it would work for a while. Things are solid again and the prepro was not to blame.
post #2160 of 3830 Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Anyone having having problems using Audyssey Pro with this unit should visit this link.

To Fitz, Joel, or others running Audyssey Pro on the Integra DHC-80.2,

After your initial Audyssey Pro calibrations have you attempted a new Pro calibration? If so, have you experienced any difficulties?

Thanks.

Larry
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page