AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Extensive comparison TX-NR708 and VSX-1120-K (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1277801-extensive-comparison-tx-nr708-vsx-1120-k.html)

ccity 09-19-2010 07:22 PM

OK, first I apologize for all of the lurking, this is one of my first posts. I have been researching an receiver for a couple of days now and narrowed it down to the Onkyo NR808 or the Pioneer 1120-K. I thought I would share my research here for others comparing these two receivers (which appear to be the leaders for the pricepoint. I am fairly new to receivers, so some of declared "wins" may not be. I am also sure I have some inaccuracies here as well, so please send me any feedback and I will modify my post. Hope someone finds this helpul

Feature Onkyo TX-NR708 Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Average Price $550-600 $550-600
Channels 7.2 7.2
Power/channel 110w 110w
THX Certification Select2 Plus Select2 Plus
Digital Inputs 5 (2 Coax / 3opt) 5 (2 Coax / 3opt)
Power Consumption ?? 400Watts
Processing Dual 32-bit DSP Dual Core 400 MIPS
Video processing Faroudja Marvell 1080p/24FPS
Audio Processing 24-bit Burr Brown DAC 24-bit DAC
Speaker Calibration Audyssey, DSX, EQ, Volume MCACC
SACD Support ?? Yes
RS232 Support Yes Yes
Ethernet Support Yes Yes
Internet Radio Yes Yes
Zones Two - Powered, Line-out Two
HDMI 1.4 Yes, 3D, ARC Yes, 3D, ARC
GUI Configuration Yes Yes
Illuminated Remote No Yes
Learning Remote Yes Yes
HDMI Inputs Rear/Front 6/1 5/1
12V trigger Yes, Zone2 only No
iPhone Full Support Optional Yes
Neural-THX ?? Yes
Dolby PLIIz, DD Plus, True HD PLIIz, DD Plus, DD EQ,
DTS HD-Master Audio HD
Phono Input Yes ??
PC RGB Input Yes No
Pre-outs 7.2 7.1
SIRIUS support Yes Yes
Warranty 2 years 1 year
Weight 27.6 lbs 28.7 lbs
USB Yes (front) Yes (front)
DLNA Certified Windows 7, DLNA 1.5 ??
Rhapsody Support Yes No
Anti-jitter Yes Yes, PQLS multi channel
On Screen Display Yes No

Onkyo Wins
Audyssey Surround Config
HDMI Inputs: (6/1)
12V trigger: Yes
Phono Input, PC RGB Input
Pre-out: (7.2)
Warranty 2 years
DLNA support
Rhapsody Support

Pioneer Wins
Full iPhone Support
backlit remote
Video Processing
iPhone/Computer control

winston9332 09-19-2010 08:10 PM

Few notes:

Unsure why you have a Panasonic wins category; presume you mean Pioneer.

I would update your chart to show the Pioneer's price as $500 to $600.

Pioneer wins on video processing.
Pioneer has a backlit remote.
Pioneer can be controlled by a computer.

Onkyo has an OSD for source and volume (there are some questions as to its impact on PQ).

And for the record, a second subwoofer output is meaningless. a y adaptor for $5 does the same.

Knucklehead90 09-19-2010 10:20 PM

The 708 internet radio isn't optional - it is a fully internet ready AVR. It comes standard with Internet Radio Connectivity - SIRIUS Internet Radio - vTune - Last.fm - Pandora - Rhapsody - Slacker - Mediafly - Napster
Some of these services are pay to play and some are free such as vTune and Pandora. Rhapsody is not - I don't know about the others.

They are both decent AVRs and most buyers looking to spend $600 max will likely be happy with either one.

ccity 09-20-2010 04:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I have made the changes. Winston, can you expand on why the video processing is better on the Pioneer? I couldnt find a lot of information on that particular topic.

Also Knucklehead I could not find the 1120-k for under $550-600, I was sort of holding the prices to authorized Pioneer dealers to avoid the possible warranty issues.

winston9332 09-20-2010 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccity View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I have made the changes. Winston, can you expand on why the video processing is better on the Pioneer? I couldnt find a lot of information on that particular topic.

Also Knucklehead I could not find the 1120-k for under $550-600, I was sort of holding the prices to authorized Pioneer dealers to avoid the possible warranty issues.

Marvell Qdeo is superior to the Farjouda in both synthetic and realworld testing. The Marvell Qdeo is the best AVR video processor I have tested, nudging out the ABT's 2015/0 chipset in the Denons and HQV Reon XV in the higher end Onkyos. Read a bit about my testing here: www.winstonseviews.com

m@rkus 09-20-2010 06:11 AM

It boils down to a question of favorite "flavor" and what set of features best meet your needs. Some people like what Audyssey does while others like MCACC - it is a bit like arguing that vanilla ice-cream tastes better than chocolate ice-cream, you can't argue it - it is just a question of preference.

Some love dynamic EQ while others such as myself find it too bass heavy and artificial in my listening room.

Buy whatever sounds best to you and meets your needs. Specs posted should just be a starting point to determine IF a certain piece meets your needs - after that, it comes down to preference once you audition them.

ccity 09-20-2010 06:30 AM

Thanks guys, very helpful information. Does anyone see another contendor in the price-range? It seems that from my reading there wasn't else that was at the $600 price-point with these features/positive reviews.

smurraybhm 09-20-2010 06:30 AM

A few corrections to the Pioneer stats - the 1120 has 6 HDMI's in - 5 rear and one front. It also supposedly outputs 120 watts per channel, not 110. While not the same as DSX, the Pioneer does offer "front height" channels. While the Pioneer doesn't offer all the various internet streaming options that Onkyo does (Pandora a big one), it does allow you to connect Bluetooth devices via an add-on that works very well and you can stream audio content from your Apple or Android device easily - sound is very good too since they utilize technology from Air Studios to help with compression. Finally, Pioneer includes the iPod cable with the 1120, Onkyo makes you puchase their dock separately. Both are very capable receivers, which one you choose should depend on the few differences in features that would tip it one way or the other for you. My 1120 replaced a 705 (no issues), I just liked the extra features (iPhone app, video processing) that Pioneer offered plus it was cheaper at the time. With the deals on the 1120 right now it has a bigger price advantage then what you list unless you find a refurb via A4Less.

Edit: I think its wrong to give the Onkyo an advantage for having Audyssey vs. MCAAC - that is a personal flavor issue and I don't want to stir that debate. As an owner of an Elite and an older Onkyo that has Audyssey I like MCAAC better - but that's just me. I can understand why others like Audyssey and some of the things it does that MCAAC doesn't.

karmacoma 09-20-2010 08:59 PM

If you don't require hdmi 1.4, you will want to check out the Marantz 7002 on amazon (srry i can't link on this forum yet). I would be buying this as my $600 choice, however it's rather large and too tight of a squeeze for the depth of my shelf , but if you don't have space constraints, definately give it a look.
I believe the 1120 has better video processing, but if that is not ur top priority....

It's going for $599, list is 1399.

tridyman 09-21-2010 03:56 AM

Stay away from Pioneer, I had one of those and did not impress me at all. Got my self a Yamaha and don't regret, or just go Onkyo. Good luck

Allen Hallada 10-31-2010 01:29 PM

Purchased the VSX-1120-k from Amazon for $425.00 last week. I found a 50.00 instant online rebate by doing some searching and found it on a website with link to Amazon for the rebate. Use rebate code 1020fall for getting the 50.00 back from Amazon and call them directly if it doesn't go through. Free shipping included and arrived in 2 days.
I also found open box at Newegg for under 400.00 on both the VSX-1120-k and VSX-33. VSX-33 was gone in 1 day.

fitz1j 11-23-2010 01:29 PM

Thanks for the commentary, it is a good point to mention about the video processor for us that can't keep up on all these units (read: newbs). I am going to go with the VSX-32 based on the commentary.

palehorse 11-23-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1j View Post

Thanks for the commentary, it is a good point to mention about the video processor for us that can't keep up on all these units (read: newbs). I am going to go with the VSX-32 based on the commentary.

Great choice!

PhsGrad71 11-24-2010 12:17 PM

Don't the Onkyo's still have issues when the signal is lost, clicking and delay when signal is back. I checked out some when the store I go to had them, they quit carrying them. Probably not an issue when watching blue ray or dvd, but could be annoying when watching cable or sat. Have they improved that, haven't been able to check any of the newer ones out, where I live only able to demo Denon and Yamaha, not much selection

Blacklac 11-24-2010 12:41 PM

Also curious why Onkyo gets the win for Audyssey, when Pioneer has MCACC. I've used both (only MultEQ for Audyssey, and they are both great.). Pioneer also has Burr Brown DAC's, but that doesn't really matter.

ccotenj 11-24-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridyman View Post

Stay away from Pioneer, I had one of those and did not impress me at all. Got my self a Yamaha and don't regret, or just go Onkyo. Good luck

sayeth the man who couldn't set his avr up right...

thebard 11-24-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Finally, Pioneer includes the iPod cable with the 1120, Onkyo makes you puchase their dock separately.

While Onkyo doesn't include a cable or a dock, full iPod support is offered via the front usb port - including transport, menu navigation, shuffle/repeat, and album art. So no dock needed.

Flacjunky 11-24-2010 08:19 PM

I had been considering getting the 1120K, and hadn't even considered the NR708.

I see it also appears to have Multi-Channel Analog ins, whereas I dont believe the 1120K does. That, and the 12volt trigger, were 2 of the reasons I was leaning towards risking a POD with a Marantz 5004 over the 1120K.

I just dont know that I'd want to look at the words "Onkyo" on the front of my reciever for the next decade. Of course the last Onkyo I heard had a record player and an 8-track built into the cabinet...... its been awhile.

But it does appear to be better deal, feature wise, especially since I dont really care much about video processing.

VTF-15H 01-22-2011 12:35 PM

I know that this is an old thread by I just wanted to clarify a few things as I've also been evaluating these receivers during my decision process:

- Pioneer has 120wpc
- Pioneer has Wolfson DACs
- Pioneer has new Marvel video processor

This is why I chose the Pioneer.

VTF-15H 01-22-2011 12:44 PM

Also pioneer has the iPhone control app, so between that and bluetooth, you have full control of the receiver with your phone.

If u have an iPhone, or plans to get one, it makes this receiver a no brainer.

mbcb4ever 01-25-2011 10:16 AM

The tx-nr708 now has a iphone app also.

rnatalli 01-25-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTF-15H View Post

- Pioneer has 120wpc

That's what Pioneer tells you, but it was benched at less than 50wpc into 7 channels. No biggie really as that's enough to power most speakers. The Onkyo has almost twice the power consumption (756W) so probably more power overall.

thebard 01-25-2011 09:43 PM

As long as we're updating... the Onkyo does support SACD. It accepts DSD over hdmi, although whether their current models convert it straight to analog when in direct/pure mode is still unclear (older models did, but the wording in the newer manuals is vague enough to make it questionable).

In any case, Onkyo converts the dsd to pcm in order to process it (as do others).

The Pioneer supports TrueHD as well.

The Pioneer does not appear to have a dedicated phono input (although the manual offers a cryptic "If your turntable has line-level outputs... connect it to the CD inputs instead.").

The Onkyo also offers s-video inputs, if that matters to you.

Scallica 01-28-2011 04:49 AM

This is exactly the thread I am looking for! I am trying to decide between these two receivers. I currently have an older Onkyo TX-SR800 receiver and I am looking to upgrade.

Does anyone know what the TX-NR708 LAN port can be used for? I know you can configure the VSX-1120-k using a web browser. I wonder if the same is true for the TX-NR708.

@tridyman - Can you elaborate why you were unimpressed with the VSX-1120-K ??