Current iOS App (iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad) controlled receivers? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 295 Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I managed to fix an obscure bug in the uPNP stack and the Denon AVR is now detected properly.

My development version that is nearing beta testing now supports 2011 receivers, with a bunch of new things to do, like searching network sources. Also, AirPlay support is going in as long as an AirPlay compatible device is connected to the AVR.
rworne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 295 Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Newbie
 
LAR196's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I've just gotten my new Onkyo TX-NR609 up and running and am now interested in comments wrt app options for it. I would run the apps on an iPad, iTouch, and iPhone4.

I see a lot of talk about oRemote by Robert Worne. Sounds nice but in the app store my AV model is not listed as supported. Is that right?

What other apps should I consider?

Thanks much.
LAR196 is offline  
post #273 of 295 Old 05-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAR196 View Post

Hi All,

I've just gotten my new Onkyo TX-NR609 up and running and am now interested in comments wrt app options for it. I would run the apps on an iPad, iTouch, and iPhone4.

I see a lot of talk about oRemote by Robert Worne. Sounds nice but in the app store my AV model is not listed as supported. Is that right?

What other apps should I consider?

Thanks much.

The other two apps on the App store should work. I tested Onkyo's free app and it does what it is supposed to.

My update is still pending and 2011 models will be supported soon. It takes some effort to get the new functions shoehorned in without breaking all the legacy stuff.
rworne is offline  
post #274 of 295 Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The update of oRemote with 2011 Onkyo support (509,609,709,809,1009) and Integra 20.3 and 30.3 support just went up on the AppStore.
rworne is offline  
post #275 of 295 Old 06-04-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ahhh now if you only had oRemote for my Android 3.0 tablet...

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
post #276 of 295 Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Ahhh now if you only had oRemote for my Android 3.0 tablet...

Well, you have Onkytroller...
rworne is offline  
post #277 of 295 Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Well, you have Onkytroller...

Thanks for the tip Robert, I will likely try it but your IOS offering is so slick!

I suppose it is a whole other world (droids I mean)?

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
post #278 of 295 Old 06-05-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
K-Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

The update of oRemote with 2011 Onkyo support (509,609,709,809,1009) and Integra 20.3 and 30.3 support just went up on the AppStore.

Nice! Are you still working on a similar application for Denon receivers?
K-Wood is offline  
post #279 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Wood View Post

Nice! Are you still working on a similar application for Denon receivers?

Later this year, possibly this summer.
rworne is offline  
post #280 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Wood View Post
Nice! Are you still working on a similar application for Denon receivers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post
Later this year, possibly this summer.
Although I am really liking my Xoom Android tablet, your 2 receiver apps keep me on the hunt for a deal that will see an iPad in my theater!

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
post #281 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Newbie
 
wfbarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will you be able to implement voting Thumbs Up or Down when listening to Pandora?
wfbarn is offline  
post #282 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
tmaschm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Never mind just saw the post above

Robert,

Is this app AirPlay/AirTunes compatible?
tmaschm is offline  
post #283 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaschm View Post

Never mind just saw the post above

Robert,

Is this app AirPlay/AirTunes compatible?

If you have an AirPlay device hooked up. You can access your iTunes library and set up a playlist in the app.
There's no sign of AirPlay on the 2011 models, though the 3009 and up models have some unusual streaming service called "namihei" that really doesn't mean anything in particular. The Onkyo app has AirPlay support in it, so if I had to guess...
rworne is offline  
post #284 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfbarn View Post

Will you be able to implement voting Thumbs Up or Down when listening to Pandora?

This isn't supported in the protocol, but as a consolation, you can search now. That's really nice.
rworne is offline  
post #285 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just a heads up for those keeping tabs and have a 2011 model:

I uncovered a serious bug in Onkyo's firmware with the latest oRemote release, making it next to useless for Zone 2-4 network streaming. I have a workaround ready to go and it's going through final checkout now.

The bug is if I query the playing song - like from Pandora - for the artist, title, or album, the command is ignored. If I query a certain number of times, the network stack on the AVR crashes and oRemote loses communication until someone pulls the plug on the AVR. The fix is simply not to query, but let the AVR send it out when it wants to. The bad part is the first song's info will not be displayed, but can be refreshed by momentarily pausing and restarting the stream.

Note that pre 2011 models work fine, and only Zones 2-4 are affected on 2011 models.
rworne is offline  
post #286 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Newbie
 
wfbarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is searching?
wfbarn is offline  
post #287 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Newbie
 
wfbarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

This isn't supported in the protocol, but as a consolation, you can search now. That's really nice.

What is searching?
wfbarn is offline  
post #288 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
tmaschm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post


If you have an AirPlay device hooked up. You can access your iTunes library and set up a playlist in the app.
There's no sign of AirPlay on the 2011 models, though the 3009 and up models have some unusual streaming service called "namihei" that really doesn't mean anything in particular. The Onkyo app has AirPlay support in it, so if I had to guess...

Yea I read your post above sorry. I have an airport express and 886 so I think your app is relevant. But after looking at the app market maybe I'll make an app. There weren't very many options.
tmaschm is offline  
post #289 of 295 Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfbarn View Post

What is searching?

2011 models:

When in Pandora's "Create a channel" or DLNA "Search" a dialog pops up and you can search for.. well.. whatever. Type in a title or band and you get a list of matching items. It's slick.

Also 2011 models will allow you to type in the username and password when you visit subscription services for the first time.
rworne is offline  
post #290 of 295 Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
1.2.9 was submitted a couple of days ago, with a fix for an Onkyo Zone 2 firmware bug, direct tuning, and improved pickers on the iPad version.

Quite a few tweaks and bugfixes too.
rworne is offline  
post #291 of 295 Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Newbie
 
frohlir944's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how is dremote evolving?
frohlir944 is offline  
post #292 of 295 Old 06-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by frohlir944 View Post

how is dremote evolving?

I have a version that does quite a bit of the major functions. I am having a much more difficult time due to the fact that Denon has a ton of undocumented commands in regards to speaker levels, active speaker selection, and other commands. These are different among different receivers too. If I do not have these functions in the app, then I'm not really differentiating myself from the free OEM version.

I am going to work on it when oRemote settles down - it's nearly there now. I'm still planning on getting a release of dRemote out this summer.
rworne is offline  
post #293 of 295 Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Member
 
drunkmunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The 'Stan... Again
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne
1.2.9 was submitted a couple of days ago, with a fix for an Onkyo Zone 2 firmware bug, direct tuning, and improved pickers on the iPad version.

Quite a few tweaks and bugfixes too.
I use this app mainly on my back porch to control tracks and volume while grilling or stoking the fire pit and it works great other than one issue and It is probably a fault of the receivers but I am having a small issue with zone 2 DLNA playback. The problem is that I can't get the random button to work. For example I can select NET and press play and it will start streaming music from my PC (Windows 7 share) but it plays all the tracks in order and I can't get it to shuffle even if it is displaying the shuffle symbol on the oremote. It does work in regular receiver mode though. More than likely it's the onkyo's fault though because I can have both the main and zone 2 playing off of DLNA with shuffle enabled and it works but once I turn off the main zone than zone 2 faults back to playing the tracks in order again.

If there is a separate support forum I can also post over there.

Thanks
drunkmunk is offline  
post #294 of 295 Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmunk

I use this app mainly on my back porch to control tracks and volume while grilling or stoking the fire pit and it works great other than one issue and It is probably a fault of the receivers but I am having a small issue with zone 2 DLNA playback. The problem is that I can't get the random button to work. For example I can select NET and press play and it will start streaming music from my PC (Windows 7 share) but it plays all the tracks in order and I can't get it to shuffle even if it is displaying the shuffle symbol on the oremote. It does work in regular receiver mode though. More than likely it's the onkyo's fault though because I can have both the main and zone 2 playing off of DLNA with shuffle enabled and it works but once I turn off the main zone than zone 2 faults back to playing the tracks in order again.

If there is a separate support forum I can also post over there.

Thanks
I handle most complaint/issues through email or through oRemote's Facebook site. From what you describe, it sounds like it could be breakage on my part. I have 1.2.10 ready to submit, I'm just looking to polish a few things over the weekend. So I will look into this too.

Onkyo's Zone 2 support can get a little weird too. I'll get to the bottom of it.

I take that back. I just looked over the protocol sheet, and Onkyo indeed does not support repeat or random on Zone 2. Those functions are reserved for an iPod connected via USB cable.

The shuffle symbol appears because it is enabled, but only will work if an iPod is connected,
rworne is offline  
post #295 of 295 Old 06-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Member
 
drunkmunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The 'Stan... Again
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Aaargg! Onkyo strikes again! Thanks for the quick response, I kind of figured it was the receiver since it did the same thing whether using oremote or the real deal.

Love the app though!
drunkmunk is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off