Returned my UMC-1, Please help me replace it! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Aguilar
After months of evaluation, I have decided to return my UMC-1 and go in a different direction.

I really loved how the UMC-1 sounded! I could not tell any ill effects with the bass that has been discussed on this board and over at Emotiva. I also never had a problem doing the updates, it always worked the first time for me with every update. I ended up returning it because sometimes I would loose the center channel and it sometimes would not power down correctly. I also had a sound burst after doing the last upgrade when I watched a DTS-Master movie, HellBoy II. It was the only DTS movie that had that burst but everytime I watch another DTS movie I am afraid of having that audio burst. I guess my last straw was the last few times we had some friends over to watch a movie, I had the center channel drop out when watching previews and then going to the movie or from one preview to the next, and most of the time I even fast forward those but I would still sometimes get the audio dropping out.

My setup is really simple. I only have a Sony BluRay player and a CD player hooked up in my dedicated theater room. Right now we do not even have cable in there.

I am running PSB speakers and dual SVS-pc plus 16/46 subs up front and 4 in-wall speakers for the rear surrounds and the rear center channels.

I am looking to spend around the same price that I spent on the UMC-1, around $700.

Since I have decided to go in a different direction I think I want a little bit more than what the UMC-1 offered. Since I have dual subs, I would like for the room correction software to incorporate both subs seperately. This is not a deal breaker, but it would be really nice for me. Both subs are placed right next to my main speakers. If it is within my price range, it would be really cool to be able to network to my home computer to access my video files and watch them through my projector. Again, this is not a deal breaker. I think I would also like to try the front height effect speakers. I plan on using my 7 channel Atlantic Tech amp connected through the next piece of equipment I get. Of course I would love a pre-pro but I know that for the price I am wanting to pay this is probably not a reality.

From my description of what I have connected in my theater room, you can tell that mainly I will be watching movies. Maybe 99% of the time. I usually do not listen to music in there even though I have a great CD player. (A tube CD player from when I was dabbling with tube amps and pre-amps)

I have been reading about the Onkyo 1107, and it looks like I can get that for $699 at accessories4less right now. I think it has the ability to set each sub up independantly. What other receivers/pre-pros would you consider if you were planning on using a seperate amp to power the speakers?

In the past I have had a Yamaha 992 (My first Dolby Digital Reciever), then an Outlaw 950(paired with the Atlantic Tech amp), then a Marantz 5003(also paired with the Atlantic Tech amp) and then the UMC-1. And each time I changed componets, I noticed a definite difference in sound quality. To me, in my room, the UMC-1 sounded better than the Marantz which sounded better than the Outlaw. Even with the same amp, to me, there was a difference in sound.

Guys, thanks for your help and by no means do I want this to be thread where I am bad mouthing Emotiva in any way. I just want to go in a different direction.

Jeff Aguilar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Aguilar View Post

After months of evaluation, I have decided to return my UMC-1 and go in a different direction.

I really loved how the UMC-1 sounded! I could not tell any ill effects with the bass that has been discussed on this board and over at Emotiva. I also never had a problem doing the updates, it always worked the first time for me with every update. I ended up returning it because sometimes I would loose the center channel and it sometimes would not power down correctly. I also had a sound burst after doing the last upgrade when I watched a DTS-Master movie, HellBoy II. It was the only DTS movie that had that burst but everytime I watch another DTS movie I am afraid of having that audio burst. I guess my last straw was the last few times we had some friends over to watch a movie, I had the center channel drop out when watching previews and then going to the movie or from one preview to the next, and most of the time I even fast forward those but I would still sometimes get the audio dropping out.

My setup is really simple. I only have a Sony BluRay player and a CD player hooked up in my dedicated theater room. Right now we do not even have cable in there.

I am running PSB speakers and dual SVS-pc plus 16/46 subs up front and 4 in-wall speakers for the rear surrounds and the rear center channels.

I am looking to spend around the same price that I spent on the UMC-1, around $700.

Since I have decided to go in a different direction I think I want a little bit more than what the UMC-1 offered. Since I have dual subs, I would like for the room correction software to incorporate both subs seperately. This is not a deal breaker, but it would be really nice for me. Both subs are placed right next to my main speakers. If it is within my price range, it would be really cool to be able to network to my home computer to access my video files and watch them through my projector. Again, this is not a deal breaker. I think I would also like to try the front height effect speakers. I plan on using my 7 channel Atlantic Tech amp connected through the next piece of equipment I get. Of course I would love a pre-pro but I know that for the price I am wanting to pay this is probably not a reality.

From my description of what I have connected in my theater room, you can tell that mainly I will be watching movies. Maybe 99% of the time. I usually do not listen to music in there even though I have a great CD player. (A tube CD player from when I was dabbling with tube amps and pre-amps)

I have been reading about the Onkyo 1107, and it looks like I can get that for $699 at accessories4less right now. I think it has the ability to set each sub up independantly. What other receivers/pre-pros would you consider if you were planning on using a seperate amp to power the speakers?

In the past I have had a Yamaha 992 (My first Dolby Digital Reciever), then an Outlaw 950(paired with the Atlantic Tech amp), then a Marantz 5003(also paired with the Atlantic Tech amp) and then the UMC-1. And each time I changed componets, I noticed a definite difference in sound quality. To me, in my room, the UMC-1 sounded better than the Marantz which sounded better than the Outlaw. Even with the same amp, to me, there was a difference in sound.

Guys, thanks for your help and by no means do I want this to be thread where I am bad mouthing Emotiva in any way. I just want to go in a different direction.

Jeff Aguilar

Jeff,

I think the 1007 would be a good choice and shoponkyo has the 807 for $569.00 if you are a club member (free to join). There is also the Denon 3311 that can be found for under $900.00 but maybe over your budget. I'm sure there other great choices from Marantz, Pioneer and Yamaha as well. Plenty of good AVRs out there to chose from.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Lots of good choices available.
Independent dual subs might run you a bit over.
Personally I'm not a fan of Onkyos but many here are.

The Pioneer VSX-1120-K or the Elite VSX-32 can be found for around the same price as the Onkyo and is a good consideration.

Also some of the Marantz offerings might be a good fit.

At under $1K there are almost infinite choices.
If HDMI1.4 does not interest you, then there are a ton of good buys for outstanding 1.3 gear right now also.

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0
post #4 of 13 Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the Pioneer VSX-1120. What is the difference between that and the Elite?

1.4 does not interest me right now. My projector is only a 1.1, so I am not in the market to purchase a new projector just to experience movies in 3D. May be one day, but I have no desire to upgrade my PJ.

I've never owned an Onkyo before. I enjoyed the Marantz but doesn't only have one processor in it still that does not allow you to run the room correction software and do the True DD decoding at the same time. With my 5003 I had to have the DVD player do the decoding and then send it to the processor to do the post processing. Has that changed with the Marantz receivers?

The 9.2 is looking really attactive to me since I haven't played with a system like that yet. If I was to look at the Pioneer, with an added amp, could I run 9.2?

Jeff
post #5 of 13 Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've also opted to return my UMC-1 for similar reasons. I've replaced it with a Marantz SR-5004 that I've picked up for $399 (factory refurbished) from a popular Marantz authorized online retailer.

If your Sony Blu Ray player (you didn't mention the model) can internally decode the high-rez formats and send LPCM, then running Audyssey would be no problem.

Like you, I loved the way that the UMC-1 sounded, but it simply had a few issues that made it too "multi-user unfriendly" for my environment. Nothing that "I" couldn't work around, but others in the home...... uh..... not so much

I don't know just how long that I will keep the Marantz as I am simply using it as an HT pre/pro until Emotiva releases the reworked XMC-1. I will say, however, that the 2ch performance of the Marantz is quite pleasing. I've owned Marantz before, but a while ago and much higher up in the line.

In the past few years (and I'll only go back that far) , I've had an Outlaw 950, Outlaw 990, Onkyo 805, repurchased an Outlaw 990 (didn't like the 2ch perfomance of the Onkyo at all) and last up was the UMC-1.

Undoubtly, the UMC-1 bested them all in overall sound quality, but I'd say that this Marantz would fall in at a definite second.

Best of luck to you.....
post #6 of 13 Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Aguilar View Post

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the Pioneer VSX-1120. What is the difference between that and the Elite?

Jeff

I've done a comparison of the Elite VSX 32/33 vs the 1120 and found no real differences - they all appear to be quite identical. Perhaps I'm missing something but they all three look to be the same AVR. Market share/visibility? Maybe.

You'll only get a 2 year warranty with the 1120 - no big deal IMO. Save the money for movies or beer.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 13 Old 09-21-2010, 10:36 PM

Liked: 19
I believe the difference is waranty, 12v trigger, serial port, amber display and plastic vs. Aluminum face.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 AM

I too decided I had reached my limit on installing firmware that for the most part did not fix my major issues and tended to introduce new and exciting behaviors.

I have opted to get an Integra DHC 40.2 (cost me $300 more than the UMC-1) hope that the SQ is nearly as good. If anyone has experience with the 40.1 or 40.2 I would be delighted to hear their observations.

One of the main reasons for the replacement is Emo's seeming inability to provide any real release notes on what they changed and claimed to have fixed. In contrast Onkyo seem to publish professional updates on the items resolved.

Many of the UMC-1 issues reported on the Emo forum have not been acknowledged as issues so the customers don't know whether items are in Q for fixing.

As Emotiva owns the Emo forum they are free to censor the postings, which is why many of the more angry/upset postings have been removed, leaving only a more positive spin on the status of the unit.

Very sad that this unit which had so much promise still had enough issues after almost 6 months that I decided to return it - the first electronics item I have ever returned for being not fit for the purpose it was sold for.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I've owned the DHC 40.1 since late January. I got tired of waiting for the UMC-1 - I was on the wait list. When the first problems cropped up with the UMC I decided they were too serious for a quick fix and moved on. I'm very happy I did. Sound quality is excellent - even two channel music. Internet radio is a great feature for background 'puttering around' the house - and along with networking comes firmware updates via the internet. It takes about 5 minutes or less to upgrade. Can't say that about the UMC-1.

The only drawback I can see for some users is the lack of 6/8 channel direct inputs and balanced outputs - and I don't see many that actually need balanced outputs.

I use it with an Emotiva UPA-7 amp that I've had for almost 2 years now with no problems. It is a fantastic combination - I see no reason to upgrade from what I have to something new. Haven't had that feeling in a very long time.

To describe the DHC 40.1 in the words of Big Dan "It just works".

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the Integra. Went and read up on both the 40.1 and 40.2. Those look like impressive machines! It is nice to know that the more reading I am doing on other processors that I am not alone in returning my UMC-1. It looks like there are a few people that are returning thiers and are impressed with the results of thier choices.

When I had the Marantz 5003 in my system, it too, "Just Worked"! I am hoping that when I do get my money refunded from Emotiva and purchase a new stereo, that it will 'Just work' too. I know no receiver is bug proof, but I do hope that don't have as many bugs as the UMC-1 did.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jeff
post #11 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post

I've also opted to return my UMC-1 for similar reasons. I've replaced it with a Marantz SR-5004 that I've picked up for $399 (factory refurbished) from a popular Marantz authorized online retailer.

If your Sony Blu Ray player (you didn't mention the model) can internally decode the high-rez formats and send LPCM, then running Audyssey would be no problem.

Like you, I loved the way that the UMC-1 sounded, but it simply had a few issues that made it too "multi-user unfriendly" for my environment. Nothing that "I" couldn't work around, but others in the home...... uh..... not so much

I don't know just how long that I will keep the Marantz as I am simply using it as an HT pre/pro until Emotiva releases the reworked XMC-1. I will say, however, that the 2ch performance of the Marantz is quite pleasing. I've owned Marantz before, but a while ago and much higher up in the line.

In the past few years (and I'll only go back that far) , I've had an Outlaw 950, Outlaw 990, Onkyo 805, repurchased an Outlaw 990 (didn't like the 2ch perfomance of the Onkyo at all) and last up was the UMC-1.

Undoubtly, the UMC-1 bested them all in overall sound quality, but I'd say that this Marantz would fall in at a definite second.

Best of luck to you.....

Yes.......Onkyo/Integra 2ch performance is well known with music lovers.The 990 on the other hand was very nice.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 PM

Boot,

I also just shipped off my UMC back to Emotiva. As a "new" replacement, I will choose a Integra 40.2. As an alternate maybe a used 40.1 or PR-SC5507.
My current Nad T765 as a prepro will suffice until the right price pops up.

A BIG gift certificate from the right audio store sure would be nice......

Ann
post #13 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

Yes.......Onkyo/Integra 2ch performance is well known with music lovers.The 990 on the other hand was very nice.

Elmo,

To be honest right about now the perceived 2CH SQ advantage that the UMC-1 has is about all the UMC-1 has going for it right now for some. Features, reliability and customer support are not really the UMC-1s strong suits as of late.

Its too bad but it looks like the amount of people returning their UMC-1s is really increasing. With the 30 day return window deadline closing in and Emotiva's lack of indicating which issues will be addressed I would think the number of returns will increase even more.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page