Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1288 Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwha View Post

I have my receiver wired to my E3000 Linksys router and use the web UI often as a remote control. BUT....the ip address of the receiver keeps changing on me. Networking is definitely not my strong point. I have DHCP turned on in the settings....if this is wrong and it requires me set up manually......the instructions in the user manual baffle me....could someone help symplify this for me?

This is interesting. I have the SAME router (E3000), and it is upgraded to the latest firmware -- Ver.1.0.04 (build 6) -- and I am having trouble getting Internet Radio to play on the VSX-33. I connect the VSX-33 to a Linksys Wireless N bridge (WET610N), and that connects to our Wireless N or Wireless G network. It does not work that way though for some reason. If I connect the VSX-33 directly to my Internet Router's Ethernet Switch Ports, Internet Radio works fine. The iPhone App iControl AV works great with the E3000 even with the Wireless Bridge though.

I think my issue is that Wireless Radio uses Multicast, and that may be blocked somehow across the bridge.

Have you updated the Firmware on the E3000 yet?

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

NEW Sony KDL-40XBR4 Optimized Settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5245
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1288 Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to bump this question, but I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this. I have to return this very soon if its true.

"I am pretty sure I just realized (through a quick test) that the zone 2 preouts are at a fixed volume. Basically, you have no volume control on the zone 2 outs through the receiver. Can anyone confirm this is true?"
post #363 of 1288 Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM

No, my router shows its running Ver. 1.0.03. But I did just realize that I am not connected directly to the router. I have a D-Link ethernet switch(DSS-5+) in between.
post #364 of 1288 Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJaxx View Post

Sorry to bump this question, but I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this. I have to return this very soon if its true.

"I am pretty sure I just realized (through a quick test) that the zone 2 preouts are at a fixed volume. Basically, you have no volume control on the zone 2 outs through the receiver. Can anyone confirm this is true?"

assuming my pioneer manual secret decoder ring still works correctly, yes, that's true... the pre-outs are an un-attenuated signal... you will need some type of volume control on the other end...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #365 of 1288 Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM

I picked a VSX-32 last week and finally got around to hooking up my 360 to it. The audio plays fine, but the video is distorted. I've turned off the V.CONV(Digital Video Conversion) off, disconnected the HDMI, restarted the console, restarted the receiver, and still can't get it to show the picture. Anyone else have this issue?
post #366 of 1288 Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 PM

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at this receiver Pioneer VSX-32 and just have a couple of questions, before I pull the trigger and pick it up. For starters can you run this unit just in a 5.1 speaker configuration? Secondly would this receiver be an upgrade from the current Harmon Kardon AVR 354 I have now? Thirdly when setting up speakers, in any system is it best to always choose "small" rather than large for front speakers? Fourthly, would 80Hz be a good crossover point for these speakers?

Below are my current speakers for my 5.1 config:
Fronts-JBL ES80 X2--45Hz-40kHz
Center-JBL ES25C X1--80Hz-40kHz
Surrounds-JBL ES20 X2--60Hz-40kHz
Sub-Polk Audio PSW10

Thanks for any input

Greg
post #367 of 1288 Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorylewis View Post

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at this receiver Pioneer VSX-32 and just have a couple of questions, before I pull the trigger and pick it up. For starters can you run this unit just in a 5.1 speaker configuration? Secondly would this receiver be an upgrade from the current Harmon Kardon AVR 354 I have now? Thirdly when setting up speakers, in any system is it best to always choose "small" rather than large for front speakers? Fourthly, would 80Hz be a good crossover point for these speakers?

Below are my current speakers for my 5.1 config:
Fronts-JBL ES80 X2--45Hz-40kHz
Center-JBL ES25C X1--80Hz-40kHz
Surrounds-JBL ES20 X2--60Hz-40kHz
Sub-Polk Audio PSW10

Thanks for any input

Greg

You CAN run it in a 5.1 speaker configuration!

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #368 of 1288 Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

assuming my pioneer manual secret decoder ring still works correctly, yes, that's true... the pre-outs are an un-attenuated signal... you will need some type of volume control on the other end...

Thanks! Guess I missed that in the manual. Apparently, I didn't look hard enough.
post #369 of 1288 Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well, it's not explicitly stated in the manual, so you get a pass on this one... you kind of have to piece it together (which is where the decoder ring comes in handy )...

what the manual says is that the master volume control only has an effect on zone 2 when zone 2 is powered by the avr (i.e. zone 2 is hooked to the speaker binding posts)...

and since there is no other way to control the volume, you can make the leap of logic to "the pre-outs are un-attenuated"...

not saying i'm not missing something somewhere that someone else will see though... my decoder ring IS a bit rusty these days...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #370 of 1288 Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 AM

I hate to bump this question, but does anyone know if there is a way to have the front height speakers run at the same time the rear surrounds are?

I am really struggling with this idea. It really seems like there is no option to have both of these on at the same time... Seems like someone dropped the ball on this one. Does anyone know for sure?
post #371 of 1288 Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

no, you cannot... you can have either heights, wides or backs... but not a combination of them...

it is a 7.1 avr... the hardware is designed to only process 8 channels of "sound" at a time... and 6 of those are "taken" (l/c/r, 2 surrounds and lfe/sub)...

- chris

post #372 of 1288 Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 PM

So far, this receiver has been a nice upgrade from my old Technics SA-TX30. Visually, I still love the look of the TX30. One thing is bugging me though., what is the "normal" listening volume level of the VSX-33?? Currently, I'm @ -31 to -28 volume, but to me, that seems like I'm pushing the Amp/receiver harder then normal. On the TX30, 11 o' clock on the dial was loud!!! Right now, anything past -27db is beginning to get loud, but still feels like something is just ...IDK..

I'm using PolkAudio RT35i front & RT25i rear. These have a sensitivity of 90.

What are your thoughts?
post #373 of 1288 Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm watching the sharks right now and I'm at -27 and it sounds good. When I watch movies I'm at -15 to -10 and this is using a power amp to drive the front 3 speakers. My speakers are NHT with a sensitivity of 86 db. I'm using the Pioneer vsx 1120 which is the sister of the 32 elite.

post #374 of 1288 Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green horn View Post

So far, this receiver has been a nice upgrade from my old Technics SA-TX30. Visually, I still love the look of the TX30. One thing is bugging me though., what is the "normal" listening volume level of the VSX-33?? Currently, I'm @ -31 to -28 volume, but to me, that seems like I'm pushing the Amp/receiver harder then normal. On the TX30, 11 o' clock on the dial was loud!!! Right now, anything past -27db is beginning to get loud, but still feels like something is just ...IDK..

I'm using PolkAudio RT35i front & RT25i rear. These have a sensitivity of 90.

What are your thoughts?

I did the MCACC setup on our VSX-33, and the sound was a little low at my previous VSX-37TX's "-36 dB" setting. So I upped the reference level on all the channels to an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of 82 dB. After doing that, our VSX-33 is PERFECT at a "-36 dB" setting!

It could be that your VSX-33 is putting out test tones at a lower reference SPL level.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #375 of 1288 Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdune View Post

I did the MCACC setup on our VSX-33, and the sound was a little low at my previous VSX-37TX's "-36 dB" setting. So I upped the reference level on all the channels to an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of 82 dB. After doing that, our VSX-33 is PERFECT at a "-36 dB" setting!

It could be that your VSX-33 is putting out test tones at a lower reference SPL level.

Is it really going to hurt this unit by listening to movies at about -8db? Would it be better for me to up the levels on the speakers to listen to it at a lower volume?
post #376 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNO20 View Post

Is it really going to hurt this unit by listening to movies at about -8db? Would it be better for me to up the levels on the speakers to listen to it at a lower volume?

Do you have an SPL meter? You can get one at Radio Shack. One has a needle, and another is digital. I prefer the one with the needle. Pick one up and run the test tones to see what dB the Channel Levels are at. If it is lower than 70dB per channel, up the levels to get them to either 75dB, or 85dB.

I use 82dB because -- for me and our room -- 75 is too low, and 85 is too high. Also, I like "telling the wife" to keep it at -36 or below (higher number though LOL).

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #377 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNO20 View Post

no. it won't "hurt it" at all...

changing the level on the speakers so that you can have a lower number on the volume control accomplishes nothing...

the volume control is logarithmic, NOT linear... what you are seeing is perfectly normal...

- chris

post #378 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:

Do you have an SPL meter? You can get one at Radio Shack. One has a needle, and another is digital. I prefer the one with the needle. Pick one up and run the test tones to see what dB the Channel Levels are at. If it is lower than 70dB per channel, up the levels to get them to either 75dB, or 85dB.

I use 82dB because -- for me and our room -- 75 is too low, and 85 is too high. Also, I like "telling the wife" to keep it at -36 or below (higher number though LOL).

Quote:

no. it won't "hurt it" at all...

changing the level on the speakers so that you can have a lower number on the volume control accomplishes nothing...

the volume control is logarithmic, NOT linear... what you are seeing is perfectly normal...

I would still recommend getting an SPL meter and checking to see if your setup is delivering at least the 75dB reference (some prefer 85dB) for each channel. That is a "basic" setup item that is pretty helpful to ensure your system is operating at a level comparable to what the sound mixers use when designing the soundtrack.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #379 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 AM

I picked a VSX-32 last week and finally got around to hooking up my 360 to it. The audio plays fine, but the video is distorted. I've turned off the V.CONV(Digital Video Conversion) off, disconnected the HDMI, restarted the console, restarted the receiver, and still can't get it to show the picture. Anyone else have this issue?

post #380 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

- how is your 360 connected to the avr?

- what resolution is it outputting?

- chris

post #381 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I would still recommend getting an SPL meter and checking to see if your setup is delivering at least the 75dB reference (some prefer 85dB) for each channel. That is a "basic" setup item that is pretty helpful to ensure your system is operating at a level comparable to what the sound mixers use when designing the soundtrack.

a good recommendation, however, a "basic spl meter" (i.e. something like the ratshack meter, for example) is LESS accurate than the mic that comes with your unit...

edit: fwiw, reference level isn't a "preference", it's a "definition"...

- chris

post #382 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:

- how is your 360 connected to the avr?

- what resolution is it outputting?

It's connected through HDMI. It's set to output 1080p in the Xbox's video settings.
post #383 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

first step... try swapping out the cable from the avr to the display...

- chris

post #384 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:

first step... try swapping out the cable from the avr to the display...

Swapped the HDMI cable that goes to the avr to the TV. Nothing...
post #385 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3_wagen View Post

Are you able to get the the Pioneer's GUI when you hit the "Home Menu" button on the remote? And have you tried any other components besides the 360? Also, try using analog cables from the xbox to receiver and/or receiver to the tv to see if you can get it to work. It could be an HDCP error, which I have had before when hooking up my computer to the tv through the receiver, although this shouldn't be the case.
post #386 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfanatic1 View Post

Are you able to get the the Pioneer's GUI when you hit the "Home Menu" button on the remote? And have you tried any other components besides the 360? Also, try using analog cables from the xbox to receiver and/or receiver to the tv to see if you can get it to work. It could be an HDCP error, which I have had before when hooking up my computer to the tv through the receiver, although this shouldn't be the case.

Yes, the GUI works fine.

My Blu ray player and satellite receiver work fine.

I haven't tried the component cables yet.

What's is the HDCP error?
post #387 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:

a good recommendation, however, a "basic spl meter" (i.e. something like the ratshack meter, for example) is LESS accurate than the mic that comes with your unit...

edit: fwiw, reference level isn't a "preference", it's a "definition"...

Understood. Still gives a good enough reading of the SPL in your main seating position. I found the MCACC set the Channel Level too low for the most part. Half were at 70dB, and the rest were less. Not a consistent SPL for all the channels for sure. I found that a bit strange.

Good news is that you can do the MCACC Manually, and keep the Channel Levels you pick using your own SPL!

Best of Both Worlds LOL

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #388 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3_wagen View Post

Yes, the GUI works fine.

My Blu ray player and satellite receiver work fine.

I haven't tried the component cables yet.

What's is the HDCP error?

HDCP has to do with the copyright protection over HDMI (reason you can't have a hdmi source output with component cables). Unfortunately, sometimes there is nothing you can do to get it to work. However, I don't think that is the case (hopefully). What is the model of your tv? If it is a couple years old, make sure you know the maximum resolution it supports.

I would directly connect your 360 with your tv and set it to output 1080p on the xbox. Then unplug the hdmi from your xbox to the tv and connect it through your receiver again and see if it works. If not, try manually setting your receiver to output a lower resolution (480p, 720p, 1080i) and see if you can get the picture to work. Does your 360 work over HDMI directly connected to the tv?

If all else fails, try the component cables.
post #389 of 1288 Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 PM

I need help. This stuff is driving me nuts!

My setup for A/V stuff is as follows. Samsung 8000 LED/LCD TV, VSX32, Samsung 3d BD player, an xbox360 slim, and a Scientific Atlantic? HD Cable box. Everything is less than 2 months old so it's all new stuff.

The TV has 4 HDMI ports. Right now I have the #2 port which is labeled ARC going to the out on the VSX32. I have everything plugged into the VSX32 via HDMI.

I learned stand by is off. There is no "standby" mode. It's either on or off. While screwing around with it and having the BD player link up though it for the HDMI pass though the little blue light comes on and it displays everything onscreen. This is after the unit is set to say BD or HDMI1 and then passing it through. Apparently it can't just figure it out on it's own and just route or switch HDMI channels to do so.

I was under the impression that the HDMI pass through on the VSX32 would just route my signals so I only had to run one cable to the TV. I've noticed that after playing around with things only my BD player will do it. I didn't care if that did it or not as I was more concerned with the Xbox360 and my Cable box. I tried doing the same things that I did to get the BD player to pass through but no luck. I tried unplugging everything so it was as I was starting from scratch but still it wouldn't do it.

So they make a receiver with a ton of HDMI inputs but at this point in time I can only use 1 which is for the BD player. I still have enough HDMI on the TV but I won't get audio the the receiver for TV or Xbox if I ever want to have it play through there. Everything I have is "HD" so I'm not worried about the VSX doing the video stuff to it although I have an older TIVO box I'll hook up and have it convert that stuff.

Am I missing something with this HDMI pass through stuff? Right now I have a Optical cable on order so I can hook the audio portion up tho the receiver with the hopes of getting audio how I want without always having the receiver on.

Do I have all this right? Really the HDMI stuff on the VSX is junk, because if I can't plug in all my NEW gizmo's and have it route them whats the point of having the A/V receiver be the heart of your system? I like the idea of plugging in everything to one source, but not if it wont work right.
post #390 of 1288 Old 02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
^ ^ ^ ^

Ok - hard to understand the problem. You have 3 devices attached to your VSX32, then the output from the VSX32 to your TV.

1. It is working with your BD player which is selectable as BD or HDMI1?

2. You want the other HDMI connections to work the same way.

3. They are not doing so.

The HDMI connections are selectable from the remote. They need to be explicitly selected, will not automatically be detected and routed.

So if you have HDMI2 connected to your Atlanta box, and HDMI3 to your XBox, you need to select those explicitly before you can see their signal on the screen and hear the sound from the receiver.

You can also tie other funtions like TV/Sat to an HDMI input so it goes to that. If you want to tie HDMI2 to TV/Sat, you can do that so when you press the TV/Sat button, it selects the correct input. You might want to read the manual on HDMI inputs.

Hope that helped.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page