Pioneer Elite VSX-32 / 33 Owners' Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The other meaningful difference is the inclusion of 12V triggers. They can be used to trigger an external amp or surge suppressor that has an input for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdune View Post

Been playing around with the Marvell Qdeo Video processing on the VSX-33 and I am pretty impressed. Regular DVDs actually DO look better with the video processing enabled. And on Blu I have noticed less banding even in Blus that contain banding in the source!

Anyone else tried the video processing and have similar findings?

not surprising that you are getting good results from dvd's... especially if you have an older player or display...

i think that what you are seeing with blu's might be a placebo though, as there shouldn't be any scaling/deinterlacing going on there (except on a 1080i video based master), and imo, any of the other picture controls that are available wouldn't do anything to reduce banding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital desire View Post

Big river has the 1120 for about 540.
Local brick and mortar has the 32 for 600.

I guess it is worth the extra 60 bones then? Maybe just for warranty alone?

i'd spring for the extra 60 bones... the triggers will be useful, the warranty is longer, and i think the 32 looks better...

plus you support your local guy... a win-win...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Been playing around with the Marvell Qdeo Video processing on the VSX-33 and I am pretty impressed. Regular DVDs actually DO look better with the video processing enabled. And on Blu I have noticed less banding even in Blus that contain banding in the source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

not surprising that you are getting good results from dvd's... especially if you have an older player or display...

i think that what you are seeing with blu's might be a placebo though, as there shouldn't be any scaling/deinterlacing going on there (except on a 1080i video based master), and imo, any of the other picture controls that are available wouldn't do anything to reduce banding...

Well, the PS3 is a pretty good Blu player, and the Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR4 is a 10-bit display, so it is pretty good too.

I don't think it is placebo as I read up on what the Marvell Qdeo does, and here is some interesting tech they employ that results in such a great image, even with 1080p source!:

From the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief PDF:
"Qdeo Noise Reduction - Most video material contains analog and/or digital noise. Noise Reduction refers to the process of reducing this noise while minimizing any side-effects.

Digital noise comes from compression of the video and appears in the form of “block noise” – small distinct rectangular tiles that are most visible on smooth backgrounds such as the sky or plain walls or floors and “mosquito noise’ – tiny white dots that appear around sharp edges. Qdeo technology uses per-pixel content-adaptive Compression Artifact Reduction (CAR) to remove the block and mosquito noise without causing side-effects like blurring or loss of detail."

And this one seems to help out by really leveraging the 10-bit display capability of the KDL-40XBR4:

"Bit Resolution Expansion dynamically expands 8-bit video to use the full dynamic range offered by 10 and 12 bit displays, eliminating contours while preserving detail. This process which we refer to as Qdeo True Color Processing (QTC) produces a perceived higher dynamic range. Figures 10 and 11 show the results before and after application of QTC.

Figure 10: Gray scale ramp image BEFORE Qdeo True Color processing. The top portion of the image
shows a smooth ramp that steps from black to white with steps of one lsb, and produces a per-
ception of banding. The bottom portion of the image shows steps of 16 that represent real edges.

Figure 11: Gray scale ramp image AFTER Qdeo True Color processing. The banding in the top portion of
the image has been removed while preserving the sharpness of the steps in the bottom portion of the image."

All pretty cool really. These 2010 Pioneer ELITE A/V receivers has some pretty advanced video processing in them, thanks to Marvell Qdeo Tech!

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

NEW Sony KDL-40XBR4 Optimized Settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5245
Old 02-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Liked: 11
Well I love my new 1325-K, many people said it was the same as the VSX-33 except for the colors and all that but I thought I would have "thousands" of radio stations when I open the menu and we see only 24 with no other option than to delete them and rename them...I thought the 33 had them all already integrated, now I have to find stations I like and copy the url into it...zzzzzzzzzz....

Is that really all that internet radio has to offer? I don't get it...but the sound is very good. I guess I will try to copy them via the pc browser, it will be easier that way but it's disappointing.

Also anyone knows if I can plug in my Archos mp3 player in the USB instead of iPod? I tried with a 8GB flash drive and it didn't work...

thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThousandThrills View Post

Well I love my new 1325-K, many people said it was the same as the VSX-33 except for the colors and all that but I thought I would have "thousands" of radio stations when I open the menu and we see only 24 with no other option than to delete them and rename them...

Is that really all that internet radio has to offer? I don't get it...but the sound is very good.

Yeah, the VSX-33 only has 24 for Internet Radio too. Of course if you have a Smartphone you can adjust them with the Browser Interface if you wish.

The VSX-33 also has Sirius Radio, and XM Satellite Radio support, and those have numerous options, but you need to be paying for those services.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the VSX-33 only has 24 for Internet Radio too. Of course if you have a Smartphone you can adjust them with the Browser Interface if you wish.

The VSX-33 also has Sirius Radio, and XM Satellite Radio support, and those have numerous options, but you need to be paying for those services.

Thanks Darkdune, on Pioneer's website, it says thousands of internet stations...if I had known, I would just have plugged my laptop near it via hdmi instead of ordering a 35 ft long ethernet cable.
And I will never buy that satellite radio thing, I got 60 radio channels on my cable box. Will try my archos player tonight to see if it works as a iPod.
thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 04:04 PM

WOW!

I just watched the "Deserts" Episode of the Planet Earth Blu-ray (known for it's HD Presentation Quality, and few issue areas), and even the few spots where "static" in the source material is present (e.g. Chapter 4 at 00:27:54) were MUCH IMPROVED with the VSX-33's Marvell Qdeo Technology.

I am REALLY impressed!

And my iControlAV iPhone App reports that the PS3 and VSX-33 are outputing the HDMI signal in 36bit (12bit*3) Color! Our Sony KDL-40XBR4 has a 10bit Display, so the VSX-33 is actually taking advantage of that extra color grade!

Very cool, and I can actually see the difference.

Quote:

Well, the PS3 is a pretty good Blu player, and the Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR4 is a 10-bit display, so it is pretty good too.

I don't think it is placebo as I read up on what the Marvell Qdeo does, and here is some interesting tech they employ that results in such a great image, even with 1080p source!:

From the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief PDF:
"Qdeo Noise Reduction - Most video material contains analog and/or digital noise. Noise Reduction refers to the process of reducing this noise while minimizing any side-effects.

Digital noise comes from compression of the video and appears in the form of “block noise” – small distinct rectangular tiles that are most visible on smooth backgrounds such as the sky or plain walls or floors and “mosquito noise’ – tiny white dots that appear around sharp edges. Qdeo technology uses per-pixel content-adaptive Compression Artifact Reduction (CAR) to remove the block and mosquito noise without causing side-effects like blurring or loss of detail."

And this one seems to help out by really leveraging the 10-bit display capability of the KDL-40XBR4:

"Bit Resolution Expansion dynamically expands 8-bit video to use the full dynamic range offered by 10 and 12 bit displays, eliminating contours while preserving detail. This process which we refer to as Qdeo True Color Processing (QTC) produces a perceived higher dynamic range. Figures 10 and 11 show the results before and after application of QTC.

Figure 10: Gray scale ramp image BEFORE Qdeo True Color processing. The top portion of the image
shows a smooth ramp that steps from black to white with steps of one lsb, and produces a per-
ception of banding. The bottom portion of the image shows steps of 16 that represent real edges.

Figure 11: Gray scale ramp image AFTER Qdeo True Color processing. The banding in the top portion of
the image has been removed while preserving the sharpness of the steps in the bottom portion of the image."

All pretty cool really. These 2010 Pioneer ELITE A/V receivers has some pretty advanced video processing in them, thanks to Marvell Qdeo Tech!

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

Old 02-27-2011, 01:26 AM

Gentlemen thank you for a great forum you have here as someone whos always read but never had to post until now. I just got home after buying the VSX-32 and a pair to martin logan source speakers. But I have to admit I cant find this solution.

I have it all set up and working nicely dvr,360,ps3. All three being hooked up by hdmi. I play xbox360 nhl hockey every night for a couple hours nightly and therefore I listen to music.

My question is can I purchase a logitech squeezebox touch and have it hooked up optical and be able to listen to music while playing my xbox. Please tell me whatever needs to be done guys or Ill be boxing this all up and taking it back. I maybe a gamer but I have to have my heavy metal music on while I play. Thanks again guys.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeth55 View Post

Gentlemen thank you for a great forum you have here as someone whos always read but never had to post until now. I just got home after buying the VSX-32 and a pair to martin logan source speakers. But I have to admit I cant find this solution.

I have it all set up and working nicely dvr,360,ps3. All three being hooked up by hdmi. I play xbox360 nhl hockey every night for a couple hours nightly and therefore I listen to music.

My question is can I purchase a logitech squeezebox touch and have it hooked up optical and be able to listen to music while playing my xbox. Please tell me whatever needs to be done guys or Ill be boxing this all up and taking it back. I maybe a gamer but I have to have my heavy metal music on while I play. Thanks again guys.

Hi probably with the zone 2 but I just got mine so I didn't check that yet but you can have a different input on zone 2 or 3, but wait for a better answer.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:51 PM

Thank you thousand. If you could just look into this and get back to me it would help a lot. I know for the price we pay for this great receiver there has to be a way.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Thank you thousand. If you could just look into this and get back to me it would help a lot. I know for the price we pay for this great receiver there has to be a way.

Sorry but I dont own any video game console or a squeezebox either...not too many Pioneer owners on this site, it's sad a little...I'm still very confused with the settings of my 2 pairs of speakers on my 1325K (vsx-33), I have to look more into that tomorrow if I can, not even sure i'll have time. I like that I can control the receiver from the web browser, just discovered that yesterday. I hope you have a zone 2 on your 32, I think some didn't want to get the 33 because they wouldn't need it now that I remember...

Uh....best way to find out would be to call Pioneer, after all it's not a pirated receiver, you paid to get that customer service. ;-)
Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM

the 32 does have a zone 2 and 3. I just need to be able to have it displaying the TV signal from my dvr and have the sound coming from another source like the squeezebox.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

WOW!

I just watched the "Deserts" Episode of the Planet Earth Blu-ray (known for it's HD Presentation Quality, and few issue areas), and even the few spots where "static" in the source material is present (e.g. Chapter 4 at 00:27:54) were MUCH IMPROVED with the VSX-33's Marvell Qdeo Technology.

I am REALLY impressed!

And my iControlAV iPhone App reports that the PS3 and VSX-33 are outputing the HDMI signal in 36bit (12bit*3) Color! Our Sony KDL-40XBR4 has a 10bit Display, so the VSX-33 is actually taking advantage of that extra color grade!

Very cool, and I can actually see the difference.

Can you post your VSX-33 video settings? The manual states that THX recommends that video conversion be set to off for optimal video performance. I'm curious to see what your settings are.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Something just came to mind. Would a hdmi switch be able to be used on my xbox to bypass the reciever and have the xbox run directly into my tv and then use my vsx32 to play my squeezebox? Then when I want to have the sound on my xbox on switch it back to passing through my speakers and receiver.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why not just assign an optical port to your xbox input and use signal select button on your remote to choose between HDMI and Digital(optical) for sound
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 - 427 View Post

Why not just assign an optical port to your xbox input and use signal select button on your remote to choose between HDMI and Digital(optical) for sound

I know what your saying but not following exactly what to do. I have my xbox currently as HDMI 2.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Assign hdmi 2 to the video input or dvr/bdr input then also assign an optical port to the same input and use the signal select button on the remote to switch between the hdmi and digital audio
Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 PM

ok. Sorry for having to ask another question but now how would I assign the optical to the same input? I see on the remote where to do switch as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 AM

On the video input or dvr/bdr input assign hdmi 2 to the hdmi in selection and opt1, 2 or 3 in the digital in selection
Old 02-28-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

Can you post your VSX-33 video settings? The manual states that THX recommends that video conversion be set to off for optimal video performance. I'm curious to see what your settings are.

Sure:

V. CONV - "ON"
RES- "1080p"
PCINEMA - "OFF"
P. MOTION - "-4"
YNR - "0"
CNR - "0"
BNR - "+2"
MNR - "+2"
DETAIL - "+6"
BRIGHT - "+6"
CONTRAST - "0"
HUE - "0"
CHROMA - "-6"

Some notes on why I chose some of the settings:

LET'S WATCH EVERYTHING IN 1080p!
Edit: I now use AUTO for this setting!
I chose RES to be 1080p as I wanted everything I watch to be output at 1080p. Our PS3 already upconverts regular DVDs to 1080p, and with this RES setting even 720p PS3 games are output to 1080p.

PCINEMA AND P. MOTION
I turned PCINEMA Off as the motion on-screen seems to look better without the added processing of this setting. The KDL-40XBR4 we have already does a great job for this function. I also turned P. MOTION down to "-4" as it seems to look better when there is motion in the picture, although I am not yet sure as to what this setting is really doing.

YNR AND CNR
Edit: I now use CNR at +6
YNR, and CNR I left at their default setting.

A TOUCH OF ADDED BNR AND MNR
Edit: I now have turned off both BNR and MNR.
For BNR, and MNR I turned them up to the point at which no added artifacting occured. For instance, if I turn MNR up any more, little blurry block pixels show up around edges of things. So I made sure that setting was not so high as to cause that.

CAREFUL WITH THE DETAILS
Edit: I now use DETAIL at +5, but you may not need it.
Similarly with the DETAIL setting, I turned it up to the point just before it added edge artifacts to the image on-screen. I checked it with a proper Sharpness setting, and ran the Sharpness tests on the Spears and Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray to ensure a proper Sharpness was attained for the on-screen image. With that, I am confident that the Sharpness is accurate.

BRIGHTEN UP AS NEEDED
I turned the BRIGHTNESS up to help with the lower Brightness I use on our KDL-40XBR4. I find this helps prevent any "flashlight" effect the backlight creates in dark scenes. You may not need to do this.

CONTRAST AND HUE
Edit: I now use CONTRAST at -3.
I left these alone, as I have spent a lot of time getting them correct on our KDL-40XBR4. You may need to choose otherwise.

CORRECTING COLOR
In our case, I like to have rich color. So our KDL-40XBR4's Color setting is higher than most. There is a bit too much Red in it though, so turning down the CHROMA setting has the effect of correcting that Red-Push. You may not need to adjust it.

AND WHAT ABOUT THE DISPLAY SETTINGS?!?!
For the KDL-40XBR4, I changed it to use x.v.Color, RGB Limited, Superwhite OFF, and ITU709 Color Matrix for the 1080p images on that HDMI port. The overall effect is the best picture I have gotten from our HDTV in the 3 years I have had it, and it is a great HDTV. Also, if you know me from my posts, I am a tweaker, and my goal is always the best image possible for a given piece of equipment.

Feel free to ask me questions. I'd be glad to help.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Sure:

V. CONV - "ON"
RES- "1080p"
PCINEMA - "OFF"
P. MOTION - "-4"
YNR - "0"
CNR - "0"
BNR - "+2"
MNR - "+2"
DETAIL - "+6"
BRIGHT - "+6"
CONTRAST - "0"
HUE - "0"
CHROMA - "-6"

Some notes on why I chose some of the settings:

LET'S WATCH EVERYTHING IN 1080p!
I chose RES to be 1080p as I wanted everything I watch to be output at 1080p. Our PS3 already upconverts regular DVDs to 1080p, and with this RES setting even 720p PS3 games are output to 1080p.

PCINEMA AND P. MOTION
I turned PCINEMA Off as the motion on-screen seems to look better without the added processing of this setting. The KDL-40XBR4 we have already does a great job for this function. I also turned P. MOTION down to "-4" as it seems to look better when there is motion in the picture, although I am not yet sure as to what this setting is really doing.

YNR AND CNR
YNR, and CNR I left at their default setting.

A TOUCH OF ADDED BNR AND MNR
For BNR, and MNR I turned them up to the point at which no added artifacting occured. For instance, if I turn MNR up any more, little blurry block pixels show up around edges of things. So I made sure that setting was not so high as to cause that.

CAREFUL WITH THE DETAILS
Similarly with the DETAIL setting, I turned it up to the point just before it added edge artifacts to the image on-screen. I checked it with a proper Sharpness setting, and ran the Sharpness tests on the Spears and Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray to ensure a proper Sharpness was attained for the on-screen image. With that, I am confident that the Sharpness is accurate.

BRIGHTEN UP AS NEEDED
I turned the BRIGHTNESS up to help with the lower Brightness I use on our KDL-40XBR4. I find this helps prevent any "flashlight" effect the backlight creates in dark scenes. You may not need to do this.

CONTRAST AND HUE
I left these alone, as I have spent a lot of time getting them correct on our KDL-40XBR4. You may need to choose otherwise.

CORRECTING COLOR
In our case, I like to have rich color. So our KDL-40XBR4's Color setting is higher than most. There is a bit too much Red in it though, so turning down the CHROMA setting has the effect of correcting that Red-Push. You may not need to adjust it.

AND WHAT ABOUT THE DISPLAY SETTINGS?!?!
For the KDL-40XBR4, I changed it to use x.v.Color, RGB Limited, Superwhite OFF, and ITU709 Color Matrix for the 1080p images on that HDMI port. The overall effect is the best picture I have gotten from our HDTV in the 3 years I have had it, and it is a great HDTV. Also, if you know me from my posts, I am a tweaker, and my goal is always the best image possible for a given piece of equipment.

Feel free to ask me questions. I'd be glad to help.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the detailed info. I'm definitely gonna do some tweaking. My plasma is a 1080p 60hz display. How can I find out if it is 10 bit or not? Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

Awesome!!! Thanks for the detailed info. I'm definitely gonna do some tweaking. My plasma is a 1080p 60hz display. How can I find out if it is 10 bit or not? Thanks again.

Get the make and model number, then look at the manufacturer's Web site and see if there is some press material, or documentation on it there. If it is a 10-bit display, they will usually mention it.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

Old 02-28-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 - 427 View Post

On the video input or dvr/bdr input assign hdmi 2 to the hdmi in selection and opt1, 2 or 3 in the digital in selection

Thanks for helping me. I went ahead and just ordered a logitech squeezebox touch. It should arrive tomorrow, and if I have any more issues I know I'll be posting here again. Thanks again
Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Gonna try this soon, but am I right that this ends up being free?!?!

If so, sweet!

Squeezebox Server is completely free and integrates nicely with iTunes. It has a web-interface and from that you can browse and direct audio to any SqueezePlayers in your house - of which the Pioneer receiver is now one.

I use the iPeng app for the iPhone/iPod Touch which is a remote control for Squeezebox Server. It also lets you control all the routing from the server to your various SqueezePlayers (Sonos like). It's an amazing app for $9. There may be free Squeezebox Server apps that I don't know of.

I already had a Squeezebox Radio in our living room and now I have the Pioneer VSX in the man-cave. With this iPeng app, I have multi-room sound control from my iTunes collection.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civuck View Post

Squeezebox Server is completely free and integrates nicely with iTunes. It has a web-interface and from that you can browse and direct audio to any SqueezePlayers in your house - of which the Pioneer receiver is now one.

I use the iPeng app for the iPhone/iPod Touch which is a remote control for Squeezebox Server. It also lets you control all the routing from the server to your various SqueezePlayers (Sonos like). It's an amazing app for $9. There may be free Squeezebox Server apps that I don't know of.

I already had a Squeezebox Radio in our living room and now I have the Pioneer VSX in the man-cave. With this iPeng app, I have multi-room sound control from my iTunes collection.

Im right there with you loving my squeezebox. I had the squeezebox radio and it worked flawlessly with my 1.2Tb of music that I have. When I bought my vsx-32 the first thought that came to my head was I need a new squeezebox to work with my new system and speakers, and today I purchased a squeezebox touch. The Ipeng app really makes the squeezebox the be all end all for your streaming music needs.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:

When I bought my vsx-32 the first thought that came to my head was I need a new squeezebox to work with my new system and speakers, and today I purchased a squeezebox touch.

Out of curiosity, why did you purchase the Squeezebox Touch rather than just streaming directly to the VSX?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Im right there with you loving my squeezebox. I had the squeezebox radio and it worked flawlessly with my 1.2Tb of music that I have. When I bought my vsx-32 the first thought that came to my head was I need a new squeezebox to work with my new system and speakers, and today I purchased a squeezebox touch. The Ipeng app really makes the squeezebox the be all end all for your streaming music needs.

"be and and end all" - strong words there! That said I agree with that to some degree. The Ipeng is an excellent (though not perfect) controller and the Squeezeserver back end is even better in terms of being able to customize how you want it.

That said, if you have an laptop or table or ipad a (ie a bigger screen than a smartphone size) the Squeezeserver has a web-based control page that can be accessed via IP addresses - and that control page has an option for a touchscreen optimised interface. In which case there is no need to pay money for ipeng.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Question from a VSX-33 owner about flashing LFE indicator
Greetings to all:
I am a complete neophyte regarding the setup of this receiver. The installation was performed by a representative of Barretts. The system consists of various components, including some rather old Infinity satellites and a new Revel B120 sub complete with a wireless connection.

Last night, I noticed that the LFE indicator on the receiver constantly blinks. I searched the manual for information, but could not find a detailed reference to this issue. I understand the rank amateur status of my question, but can you tell me if the blinking is a normal function?

Thank you for your patience.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
yes, it's normal...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 AM

i just got a sub for my vsx-32 i know the sub is working , everything i read say set speakers to small but it sounds just as good both ways, so why should i set it to small, thanks